As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gay Rights] Scott Walker still trying to get fired.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    So how much money is the Mormon Church going to spend interfering with another state's vote?

Is it wrong to hope a LOT?

I want to see their bottom-line suffer, and for them to lose more members like they did after Prop 8.
    I don't know much about it, but I'd say it's wrong. Aren't churches usually spending most of their money on charitable stuff? Like food and clothes for the needy and such?
    They spent thousands towards to the Pop 8 vote in CA. We can have a charity that doesn't support bigotry on the side.

They essentially utilized the church's organization to funnel both cash and support in the form of bodies to advocate for a particular political outcome. Which is a big, big no no. In a just world in which we followed the law we would have revoked the entire church's tax exempt status in a heartbeat.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Koshian wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o2YGH8bacE&feature=player_embedded

Fuck. Fuck.

If you stop businesses from discriminating against transpeople, it opens bathrooms for child molesters.

My mouth is hanging open. I don't know what to say.
    You say "thank you, the South, for making me feel so much better about where I live."

Its not just the south. This kind of transphobia and trans discrimination happens EVERYWHERE. Even in places where we have protections in place for gender identity and expression.

I have seen trans people get harassed/kicked out of bathrooms in LGBT centers in California. Its fucking depressing. If an LGBT center isnt even a safe space to pee... I really don't know where is.

lizard eats flies on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can understand feeling a bit awkward when you're not used to trans people in the bathroom, but to take it as far as getting involved in their business? God what is wrong with people

Turkey on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWA_jr-AwyA

This is from the creator of South Park's new musical: The Book of Mormon. Just watch it. Watch it. It's hilarious.

Elder McKinley is one of the other missionaries who is sent to Africa along with Price and Cunningham. He laments his homosexual feelings, but reminds himself to "Turn It Off" like a light switch. The others agree that their feelings must be hidden, at all costs.

Melkster on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Melkster wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWA_jr-AwyA

This is from the creator of South Park's new musical: The Book of Mormon. Just watch it. Watch it. It's hilarious.

Elder McKinley is one of the other missionaries who is sent to Africa along with Price and Cunningham. He laments his homosexual feelings, but reminds himself to "Turn It Off" like a light switch. The others agree that their feelings must be hidden, at all costs.

Hey, that's the guy who did Princeton orginally in Avenue Q, John Tartaglia. Also, that's not even vaguely amusing. South Park dude hast lost his mojo.

Magic Pink on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I disagree! I've listened to it about a dozen times now.

Melkster on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What's not funny about it?

shryke on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    What's not funny about it?

What is? The jokes just don't work; they're barely there. It's lame.

Magic Pink on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I fear you are in a critical minority on this one - the book of mormon was pretty well received afaik

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    14 Tony noms, last I looked.

Magus` on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And we all know if something is popular it must be good and embraced by all, right? ;-)

Invisible on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have seen trans people get harassed/kicked out of bathrooms in LGBT centers in California. Its fucking depressing. If an LGBT center isnt even a safe space to pee... I really don't know where is.

What? How does that even work?

"We don't take kindly to our your type round here"

V1m on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aw....

Actor Bill Hunter dies

You may know him as Bob from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Which I JUST watched last night.

Sad.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited May 2011
    V1m wrote: »

What? How does that even work?

"We don't take kindly to our your type round here"

Its kind of mind boggling, but there are plenty instances where LGB folk still think of the T peeps as freaks and infiltrators and impostors and the like. Granted, all in all, larger cities in CA are still some of the better places to be trans, but its not like the problems are JUST located in the south/rural areas. Heck often times the more conservative areas can be easier for trans people in that you can generally blend in with the populace easier. People are not as aware of it or can't imagine a trans person MIGHT be among them. So you can slip on thru easier.

lizard eats flies on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Invisible wrote: »
    And we all know if something is popular it must be good and embraced by all, right? ;-)

Well that was the Mormon's strategy. Keep bouncing from place to place till you find a state that doesn't chase you out.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Where in California, may I ask?

Because if I saw that here in SF, I would raise hell. And I doubt I would be the only one.

MuddBudd on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Where in California, may I ask?

Because if I saw that here in SF, I would raise hell. And I doubt I would be the only one.

Same here in West Hollywood.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    San Diego. And we did raise hell. But often the damage is already done. Especially if its someone who is JUST starting to come out, and told "this is a safe space, where you can be yourself without fear" and then to have that shot down is INCREDIBLY damaging. Granted its a rare occurrence, but it HAS happened.

lizard eats flies on
    edited May 2011
    San Diego. And we did raise hell. But often the damage is already done. Especially if its someone who is JUST starting to come out, and told "this is a safe space, where you can be yourself without fear" and then to have that shot down is INCREDIBLY damaging. Granted its a rare occurrence, but it HAS happened.

Personally after the incident, I would have gone up the chain of command, up to calling donors to the place, if I could.

MuddBudd on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Some of the most vitriolic anti-trans hate speech I have heard came from gay men I knew.
    Ugh. It is more common that you think.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    So how much money is the Mormon Church going to spend interfering with another state's vote?

I want to see their bottom-line suffer, and for them to lose more members like they did after Prop 8.
    I don't know much about it, but I'd say it's wrong. Aren't churches usually spending most of their money on charitable stuff? Like food and clothes for the needy and such?
    They spent thousands towards to the Pop 8 vote in CA. We can have a charity that doesn't support bigotry on the side.

They essentially utilized the church's organization to funnel both cash and support in the form of bodies to advocate for a particular political outcome. Which is a big, big no no. In a just world in which we followed the law we would have revoked the entire church's tax exempt status in a heartbeat.
    I remember reading and hearing about how the Mormon church was donating over 70% of all the money spent supporting prop 8. So why in the sweaty hell was the government not jumping all over that?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited May 2011

Personally after the incident, I would have gone up the chain of command, up to calling donors to the place, if I could.

Yeah we got people in charge to take care of it. General rule of the LGBT center is "use the bathrooms that you feel are most comfortable, and no one will stop you" The issue is with so many volunteers, they often dont get that memo. And training is quite lacking on trans stuff. Its a problem that we are working to fix.

Plus, even if its not someone who's working there, or a volunteer or something, a random person could say something/harass you in the restroom. And even if the staff is completely on your side, it still doesnt erase the incident and still doesnt help feelings of confidence and safety.

lizard eats flies on
    edited May 2011

Yeah we got people in charge to take care of it. General rule of the LGBT center is "use the bathrooms that you feel are most comfortable, and no one will stop you" The issue is with so many volunteers, they often dont get that memo. And training is quite lacking on trans stuff. Its a problem that we are working to fix.

Plus, even if its not someone who's working there, or a volunteer or something, a random person could say something/harass you in the restroom. And even if the staff is completely on your side, it still doesnt erase the incident and still doesnt help feelings of confidence and safety.

I figured it was something like that. That poor person though. That's gotta be traumatizing.

MuddBudd on
    edited May 2011

I figured it was something like that. That poor person though. That's gotta be traumatizing.

I guess thats the thing that bothers me the most about all this bathroom panic shit thats flying around. Trans people are FAR more afraid of using the bathrooms than cis people. Its fucking scary when you know how much people flip their shit over it. And statistically a trans person is way more likely to be assaulted for using a restroom, ANY restroom, than a cis gendered person. Yet trans people are still perceived as the threat.

lizard eats flies on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I remember reading and hearing about how the Mormon church was donating over 70% of all the money spent supporting prop 8. So why in the sweaty hell was the government not jumping all over that?

I really don't know Spaniard, but I wish I did. Tax exempt status comes from IRS 501(c)(3), which states that tax exempt organizations may not be an "action organization," which is defined as attempting to influence legislation and/or participating in political campaigns. The IRS really could have looked at the LDS church's actions in California and have been well within their rights to strip them of their tax exempt status. As to why they refused to do so, I wish I knew. Especially because by not doing so, they have encouraged other religious organizations to put even more time and money into political action.

I don't have the time to read this article from the IRS, but it seems to lay out a good groundwork for understanding what does and does not constitute political action and the basis for the tax exempt doctrine.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    James Dobson's little hate brigade admits defeat on same sex marriage.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    James Dobson's little hate brigade admits defeat on same sex marriage.

Hey maybe now they'll put all their resources toward something productive

HAAAHAHA. HILARIOUS.

More money for to destroy Planned Parenthood.

KalTorak on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They may admit defeat, but it'll likely take decades to reverse the various amendments and force states to stop discriminating. Without federal oversight they tend to reverse things like segregation, just imagine how quickly they'll chip away at the rights of an even less visible minority.

Invisible on
  • mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You'd pick the one that specifically suits your interests at that one given time? Or you would pick the official who was open to choosing the best position based on logic and informed rhetoric?

"Rhetoric"? I don't vote for people based on how clever their debate tactics are.

The Christian who says "My private religious beliefs do not entitle me to take a crap on civil liberties and the First Amendment" is a much more logical, informed candidate than the atheist who blathers on about Natural Law and Evolution Hate Fags.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I fear you are in a critical minority on this one - the book of mormon was pretty well received afaik

saw it and it made me laugh harder than pretty much anything I've seen

it was pretty good and it's gotten universally good reviews

Casual Eddy on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mythago wrote: »
    "Rhetoric"? I don't vote for people based on how clever their debate tactics are.

The Christian who says "My private religious beliefs do not entitle me to take a crap on civil liberties and the First Amendment" is a much more logical, informed candidate than the atheist who blathers on about Natural Law and Evolution Hate Fags.
    You said atheist libertarian. I'm no sure that isn't an oxymoron, since libertarianism today seems much more like a system of belief than anything else. Technically it's correct in that I haven't ever heard anyone refer to the great and glorious Free Market as an actual god; they just couch it in analogies that other religions use to describe god(s).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

You said atheist libertarian. I'm no sure that isn't an oxymoron, since libertarianism today seems much more like a system of belief than anything else. Technically it's correct in that I haven't ever heard anyone refer to the great and glorious Free Market as an actual god; they just couch it in analogies that other religions use to describe god(s).

Anyone else remember when the market was crashing in 2008?

bullprayer2.jpg

That's the Bowling Green Bull on Wall Street.

The video still makes me laugh/die a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuSDQzJDB80

Taramoor on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    it's not like praying to a golden bull will actually DO anything tangential, be it positive or negative. so it's not that much more silly.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey, so this actually still isn't a religion thread.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You'd pick the one that specifically suits your interests at that one given time? Or you would pick the official who was open to choosing the best position based on logic and informed rhetoric?

First of all, you originally said "atheist libertarian," I think. The atheist part precludes them from being bigoted on religious grounds, and if they actually were an honest libertarian, they'd be all for gay rights. Libertarians' raison d'tre is personal liberty. Sure, you might find a politician who calls themselves "libertarian" and is actually something else, like Ron Paul, who is about as libertarian as I am Martian, but if we're just going by your own terminology, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Libertarians, by the tenets of objectivism, are all about gay rights.

And please, if you could, find me a logical atheist open to rational argument that is steadfast in his/her opposition to gay rights.

Atomika on
  • Jolt ColaJolt Cola Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Funny how this shows up in every thread that makes religion look even tangentially negative.
    Religion was not to blame here. Religion is never to blame for anything. It is always something else. If another motive cannot be found, either equivocate endlessly or pin it on something vague and superficially profound that makes it everyone's fault, like "human nature". Bottom line: exonerate religion at all costs.

Jolt Cola on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's because no one wants to see yet another thread derailed and/or locked because people can't not argue endlessly about religion.

shryke on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jolt Cola wrote: »

Funny how this shows up in every thread that makes religion look even tangentially negative.
    Religion was not to blame here. Religion is never to blame for anything. It is always something else. If another motive cannot be found, either equivocate endlessly or pin it on something vague and superficially profound that makes it everyone's fault, like "human nature". Bottom line: exonerate religion at all costs.

To answer your quote, in the hopes of preventing derails using it in other threads, it's because Religion is a tool. People blaming religion for religious bigotry is like people blaming guns for shootings. So yes, "exonerate religion at all costs" because blaming RELIGION is stupid. You don't put a gun on trial for murder, you put the guy who held the gun and pulled the trigger.

21stCentury on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jolt Cola wrote: »

That's pretty interesting.

Maybe you should make a thread about it.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To answer your quote, in the hopes of preventing derails using it in other threads, it's because Religion is a tool.

Yes, no idea has ever caused any human being to act.
    Libertarians, by the tenets of objectivism, are all about gay rights.

And please, if you could, find me a logical atheist open to rational argument that is steadfast in his/her opposition to gay rights.

I fear the "open to rational argument" part might preclude finding a chap of this description - would you be open to atheist lunatics instead?

Edit: I can't find any links but I remember some rather unpleasant, but atheist, "white power" groups were also very anti-gay.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.