As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

vBulletin is dead, long live Vanilla

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Pony blood was the only way to satisfy the Vanilla Gods.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really don't care at this point what software the forums run on.

When are they going to be stable again? This shit has been going on for months now with no end in site. It's not THAT hard to keep a web forum (even a popular one) from shitting itself every 5 minutes. What is going on?

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Actually, the server only crapped out a little over a month ago. I don't see much fruit in spending time replacing a server that's going to be ditched soon(ish) anyways. I'd rather they spend the time focusing on the move.

I don't know much about forums but, based on what has been said, this place basically is cobbled together with bubblegum, bits of string and perhaps leprechaun magic.

The timing of the server dying was really shitty, there's no doubt about that. I'm guessing there's been some large issue or several smaller issues concerning the migration of our posts/profiles/etc. that's tying things up. Chances are the situation hasn't changed much since Ramius last spoke with us, or he's just insanely busy managing this while simultaneously trying to make sure the current forums are somewhat stable in the meantime.

And it's not like we're paying for this, so all I can recommend is patience. There's no reason why the admins wouldn't want the new forums in place ASAP, and getting angry isn't going to exactly motivate them to work faster.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Junk forum software running on less than enough servers in the middle of a move to a new hosting situation and software. Replacing the dead server when it's not going to be needed anymore would be a big waste of money.

MKR on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2011
    That_Guy wrote: »

When are they going to be stable again? This shit has been going on for months now with no end in site. It's not THAT hard to keep a web forum (even a popular one) from shitting itself every 5 minutes. What is going on?

Thanks for the awesome insight. Now that we know that it's not THAT hard to keep a webforum running I'm sure we'll have it up in a couple of hours. After all, you seem to be completely aware of all the details and intricacies of our hardware and software setups. I hope you're super happy with the forums that apparently you think we owe you.

Tube on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think every time someone gets snotty about the problems, they roll back the release of the new forums by a day or two.

So, way to be that guy, That_Guy.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You cooked my free steak as medium?!

I wanted MEDIUM RAAAARE

TAKE IT BACK YOU INGRATE

in this post tube is the steak
    a beefsteak
    wait i mean beefcake
    tubesteak

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Honsetly since the last few rounds of tinkering, I haven't seen that many errors. Maybe 4 or 5 during the heavy traffic hours, but its noticeably better than the onset of this issue.

I'm super curious about the new forums design being modeled after the new site, though. If we are super good can we get a sneak peak screenshot?

Iruka on
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It gets frustrating seeing the forums go down so frequently but I understand that this stuff takes time and appreciate the effort the admins are going through to get stuff back up and running fully again. Iruka is right that the forums have been more stable lately.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Users/threads/Posts will be transferred, right?

Alegis on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    Honsetly since the last few rounds of tinkering, I haven't seen that many errors. Maybe 4 or 5 during the heavy traffic hours, but its noticeably better than the onset of this issue.

I'm super curious about the new forums design being modeled after the new site, though. If we are super good can we get a sneak peak screenshot?

I'm hoping they make it look like Erikas PATV design somehow. That's the best looking part of the site by far.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Erika is working on the design!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm sure, since you're dissatisfied with the service you're being given, that they'll be happy to offer you a refund on the money you paid to use this forum,

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If he stops posting he would reduce the load on the servers.

Blake T on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just want to know what is going on. It's been months and the site still runs like shit. If you people need hardware, I have a bunch of old poweredge servers laying around that I am not using. I am sure I can arrange their sale at a fair price.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just want to know what is going on. It's been months and the site still runs like shit. If you people need hardware, I have a bunch of old poweredge servers laying around that I am not using. I am sure I can arrange their sale at a fair price.

you really are that guy!
    I'm sure they don't need your servers, but that is nice of you to offer

I have a similar offer to the staff.
    I know you guys are having a hard time getting new servers going and transitioning, so I'd like to help out.
    By way of help, I'm offering you my patience and my gratitude.

I won't hound you or ask a bunch of questions. I'm just going to wait patiently and be thankful when you implement new servers, and avoid complaining in the meantime.

Thanks a lot for all the work you do to give us a place to post stupid comments & make ridiculous in-jokes! I appreciate it, and I am grateful that you are going to give us a system which will work even better.

streever on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    streever wrote: »
    I know you guys are having a hard time getting new servers going and transitioning, so I'd like to help out.
    By way of help, I'm offering you my patience, gratitude, and the steed upon which I ride as your White Knight.

;-)
    <3

gilrain on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know how much user input is being taken into consideration, but right now the "go to first unread post" icon is my primary way of navigating to where I left off in a thread, and I'm hoping it's a bit larger in the new theme, because it takes like three or four zoom motions on the iphone to get it to a touchable size. And I don't think it's possible to have user style sheets in iphone's browser.

Of course, maybe the thread nav paradigm is different in Vanilla and it's a moot issue. Just thought I'd put this out there.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I don't know how much user input is being taken into consideration, but right now the "go to first unread post" icon is my primary way of navigating to where I left off in a thread, and I'm hoping it's a bit larger in the new theme, because it takes like three or four zoom motions on the iphone to get it to a touchable size. And I don't think it's possible to have user style sheets in iphone's browser.

Of course, maybe the thread nav paradigm is different in Vanilla and it's a moot issue. Just thought I'd put this out there.

I remember from playing with Vanilla that it jumps to new posts when you click on the thread.

MKR on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cool, that makes a lot more sense. I always wondered why vBulletin seemed to think the most common use case was people wanting to go to page 1.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also Vanilla will have a mobile version by default.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there a mobile app for vanilla?

I'd swing a shot at it if not but it would be for naught if the admins wouldn't be interested in adding such a module (like tapatalk etc).

Alegis on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    It already has a mobile mode, you won't need a separate app

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

What do you mean, ‘you people’ :|

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    More like Outdated Movie Reference Hero.

Also, I am still excited for this new forum software. Is Awesome Posts going to still be around?

Goose! on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Movie reference?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "You people"

Magus` on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What about a minimalistic text only mode? Does vanilla come with that default too? It's perfect for work surfing.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    You can do that pretty easily with User CSS with the current forum, starting with View -> Page Style -> No Style (in Firefox)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's a pretty great addon for vanilla that lets users switch between plaintext and not, but whether or not we'll see it implemented is up to... well, not us

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Exciting new features include the Glorious Edict being enforced automatically.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Exciting new features include the Glorious Edict being enforced automatically.

They'd never use a word filter.
    That would take all the fun out of it.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Not a word filter, but a complex program that digs through posts and infracts.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Not a word filter, but a complex program that digs through posts and infracts.

Capriciousness is the only joy Tube gets from running this place. Let's not automate that away.

MKR on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    "You people"

That's a movie reference? That's not a movie reference.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am actually kind of excited to see the new forum. Here's to hoping it's soon!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    "You people"

That's a movie reference? That's not a movie reference.

I actually liked it quite a bit.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Why are you talking about that in this thread?

Tube on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there still going to be a beta or will it just get pushed out and be diddled with as new bugs pop-up?

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's in closed beta at the moment.

Tube on