As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Polar Bear Punching [PUNISHER THREAD]

13»

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This thread needs more War Journal. Does anyone else think Fraction read a lot of 90s Punisher and thought I can do this better! before writing War Journal? Captain Punishment's duds scream 90s to me.
    punisherwarjournal20070vp5.jpg
    Look at all of those pouches and all of that ammo and tell you do not feel like you are looking at something from the 90s with today's art. I am not saying it is bad, I enjoy the hell out of it.
    Owenashi wrote: »
    From Punisher WJ #8
    PUNWARJ008_int0002.jpg

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I fucking love the idea of Punisher being "Captain America."

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I fucking hate the idea of the Punisher as Captain America.

I see this, then I see the latest Punisher MAX and I just want to murder everything.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    I think the angle they're playing with Punisher as Captain America is that he thinks he can do the job, but he's going to fail at it.

Or he's just fucking with this guy for the story arc.
    I don't like him as Cap either, but I still enjoy War Journal, for whatever reason

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Didn't Hate-Monger make him wear that costume?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm pretty sure that Captain America Punisher is supposed to be ridiculous and silly.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that Captain America Punisher is supposed to be ridiculous and silly.
    The thing is, it could very easily not be silly.

I forgot who made this edit, but it is made of awesome:
    capunisherge6.jpg

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Even then, the Skull and the Stars clash pretty fiercely.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It could be made a little less silly rather easily by removing a few of the pouches and the knee pads and the "shoot me right here" spot on the forehead... It is temporary anyway. One of the future issues has Frank ripping that costume off to reveal the skull shirt underneath, and that is only a few months away. Probably less than a week, story-time.

I'll have a picture as soon as Marvel's site stops timing out.

In the mean time, the cover for Punisher War Journal #9
    punwarj009jo7.jpg

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    But Frank really needs those pouches.

On a side note, I always really liked how the ammo clip pouches were integrated into his skull emblem.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah that is really badass. I kind of like the really huge shells more than the pouches.. I wonder if those are for the (20mm? .50BMG?) gun he shot Rhino with. It certainly looks like Frank raided Cable's old gun closet.

The silly pouches that could improve the design if they were removed are the ones on his gloves. A few things aside, this costume is actually more practical than his classic costume. It is just a matter of taste I suppose.

What does everyone think of Fraction retconning Frank's views on Cap? I think it works. I am not sure how I feel about Frank trying to honor Steve by wearing his mask or whatever.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    punwarj10oc1.th.jpg
    PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #10
    Written by MATT FRACTION
    Pencils and Cover by ARIEL OLIVETTI
    The Punisher's one-man crusade to stop the white-power border war kicked off by the Hate-Monger comes to a head in this, the bloody conclusion to BLOOD AND SAND. Everybody's trying to kill everybody else. Frank Castle's been beaten within an inch of his life. Hate Monger's terrible machines broadcast wave after wave of unbridled rage into the desert, making it even harder for Clarke and Bridge to trust one another. By the end of the night, it'll be all our heroes can do to aim straight... and not at each other.
    This Cannot End Well.

There we go. 99% sure the Captain Punishment thing is temporary.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wasn't War Journal supposed to be a 6-7 issue Civil War tie-in? Did it get extended, or is this the new '616' Punisher ongoing, with MAX being selectively incorporated into regular continuity?

I dip in and out of MAX, sometimes it's kinda samey. Ellis does well for someone that has been on it so long, and mixes things up from time to time with stories like The Slavers (I liked that mostly for the ending in Anjin's sig, that was fucking brutal) and Barracuda, which gave a change of scenery and a very different kind of enemy.

My favourite quote on how others in the Marvel Universe look at Frank; From Nick Fury's contingency plan should his planned action against Latveria in Secret War fail and a second team would be needed for an all-out-assault. The Punisher was to be drafted to this team:

"Drop this guy on one side of the country, Hulk on the other, and see who gets to the middle first."

Azrael on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Enniss writes Punisher Max.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Zeeb!Zeeb! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    War Journal turned into crap after the fourth issue.

Max is still orgasms and always has been.

Zeeb! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Just because something is different does not mean it is crap. Punisher War Journal is what happens you make acid tabs out of Punisher comics from the 90s and wash a handful down with two red bulls, chased with a crack rock the size of the hope diamond.
    the guy is a hobo shogun, after all

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Douglas, you've read Casanova, right? It's by far Fraction's best work.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, Casanova is totally awesome. Immortal Iron Fist is really good too. PWJ is not as good as those two, but it is pretty fun and crazy.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PWJ took an acid trip at some point. It's still good.

Just not as good as MAX or Roots.

Zen Vulgarity on