As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about Knights of the Old Republic

anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it.Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
ipz49t.jpg

So, I just bought this game on steam and I'm playing through it for the first time. It's so good. I almost feel bad for waiting so long to play it. I'm not even into Star Wars that much, but I can see myself getting more interested in Star Wars from this game alone.

If you're not into Star Wars, don't let that scare you away from this awesome game. Do yourself a favor, find 10 dollars, and buy this game.

And if you have played through it already, feel free to give me some tips. For example, how do I win a freaking game of Pazaak?

Steam: offday
anoffday on

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, fuck Pazaak. That game is cheating and bullshit.

KOTOR is the best Star Wars for sure, otherwise.

desc on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To be honest, I was playing against the guy who had been accused of cheating and kicked out of the upper city.

Maybe I should play against someone else.

anoffday on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Don't even bother with pazaak, man.

Force Wave ftw, though.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man imagine if KotOR had space combat like Tie Fighter.

Game of the year all years.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    By far my favorite Star Wars game, but I missed out on the heyday of the TIE Fighter games. $10 is a good price, but it always goes on sale for $2.50 during the holiday sales Steam has. Cheapskates (hi!) are advised to wait until then, but it really is worth the $10. If only KoToR 2 were on Steam...

Every so often I get the urge to replay it, but I never progress farther than getting off Taris due to either getting distracted by something else or losing interest. I've replayed that section of the game so many times that when I think of replaying the game I think of slogging through that section again and just can't bring myself to do it.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Without a doubt one of my favorite games of all time, and was my introduction to Bioware RPG's. I may have to replay it again one of these days once I get through my backlog.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pazaak is easy. Just savescum through it and you'll nab lots of cash.

You can only win or lose so many hands with each person, so to maximize the amount of money you get in the game, you more or less have to win every hand.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PAZAAAAAAAAAAAAK

But yeah, awesome game. One of my discs is scratched so I'll be picking it up on Steam at some point when it's $1.

I should really finish KOTOR II before the MMO hits.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to play KoTOR again but windows vista doesn't want to let it play for more than 15 minutes at a time.

And it won't play KoTOR 2 at all.

RT800 on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I swear the computer just puts whatever card that will allow it to win in its hand at any given moment with Pazaak.

Taris can also burn.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, I freakin' love this game. I sank so many hours into this in my younger years.

I'm so happy it is on Steam now!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok question. On the character portraits, what does a yellow up arrow and a red down arrow mean?

anoffday on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game has some of the most hilariously devious, mustache-twirling, FUCKED UP SHIT if you do a Darkside run.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dark side runs are the best. Use the glitch for infinite dark side points super early in the game, and then go around Force Lightning-ing everything.

edit: And leveling up dual wielding plus flurry plus two lightsabers basically turns you into a walking salad shooter.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, started this months ago. Spent a while on Taris. Yeah.

Then I found my computer could run ME 1 and 2. They kinda filled the Bioware shaped spot in my heart. So, lay it on me, thread, because I'm sure there is are several very good answers.

Assuming one already knows "The twist", what reasons can you give to play this instead of Mass Effect when you're hankering for some Bioware?

Other than "Star Wars", I mean, because that has lost almost all its luster.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's not a crappy shooter with RPG elements?

It's got a better story?

No Mako? Lightsabers?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It also has way better non-dungeon hub areas, the cities and enclaves and such. You spend more time talking and walking around in KOTOR instead of Mass Effect's kind of dull "move forward, watch cutscene, shoot everything, repeat" pattern. Plus, riddles!

It's just a lot closer to Bioware's Baldur's Gate roots in general, which is a huge plus in my book. It's such a shame we're getting an MMO instead of a proper KOTOR 3.

Darlan on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    This game has some of the most hilariously devious, mustache-twirling, FUCKED UP SHIT if you do a Darkside run.

Uh, right. If "murder everyone" counts as being devious and mustache-twirly.

Henroid on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay, so, check it out, like, so, there's this "Let's Play"...

KOTOR is the reason I bought the original Xbox (after Halo).

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    It's just a lot closer to Bioware's Baldur's Gate roots in general,

Than Mass Effect? Sure. Considering that both are console games, though, Mass Effect 2 is what an action-RPG should be. KOTOR doesn't have the strategic variety of Baldur's Gate, at all.

Also, evil is less "murder everyone", than "bully aliens for evil-cred". :lol:

Its a pretty cool game, though. I remember thinking that it was way too good to be associated with the Star Wars license.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've accepted that I'm simply not meant to play KOTOR to completion. I've had horrible things happen to my computer every time I reach about the halfway point in the game. I don't think I'll give the game another try any times soon unless there's a skip Taris mod I don't know about. That, and until I have the patience to fight with widescreen mods again.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Assuming one already knows "The twist", what reasons can you give to play this instead of Mass Effect when you're hankering for some Bioware?

The twist is fairly obvious early on - it's not the reason to play. I could mention how I generally think of KoTOR as fairly good then replay it and remember how great it is until I forget again, but I'll just say that you seem to have similar tastes to me, and KoTOR is definitely among the greatest.

And then play the sequel.
    anoffday wrote: »
    Ok question. On the character portraits, what does a yellow up arrow and a red down arrow mean?

Buffs and debuffs. Force Speed, for example.

Jade Empire wins darkside forever.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm in this weird position of having played KoTOR II to death before I even touched the original. And I really love KoTOR II.

So I was... unimpressed with the original and couldn't finish it. Even HK-47 sounded all kinds of bad, something about the difference in voice modulation threw me.

I will give it points for having Jawas and a vibrant enough mod community it let me play through with a Chiss skin. I enjoyed that.

Z0re on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Henroid wrote: »

Uh, right. If "murder everyone" counts as being devious and mustache-twirly.

For most of the game a dark side character will appear to have graduated top of the class at Extortion and Death University.

But there are some genuine "wow, that's fucked up" moments.
    Like getting a wookiee to kill his best friend, a 14 year old girl, because he swore a life debt to you and since the young Twi'lek has decided that she can't let you get away with your dark schemes you are free to order her death as part of the debt's terms. Sure you can murder him after this, but you can also force him to live with the shame for the rest of his life. Just don't take him along as a companion on the Star Forge if you go that route. He won't have to live with the guilt for long once he betrays you there. Otherwise, you can see the end of the game with him, sending him sideways looks every once in a while to remind him where he stands.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I don't think I'll give the game another try any times soon unless there's a skip Taris mod I don't know about.

This is a thing that exists.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Z0re wrote: »
    So I was... unimpressed with the original and couldn't finish it. Even HK-47 sounded all kinds of bad, something about the difference in voice modulation threw me.

What's great bout HK in KOTOR2 compared to KOTOR1 is the actor filling out the role. It's like the season where a show really turns into a memorable one. And the character delivers WAAAY more lines than previously and we all know practice makes perfect.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I don't think I'll give the game another try any times soon unless there's a skip Taris mod I don't know about.

This is a thing that exists.

Well I know what I'm playing next! Now if there's a "skip Taris and the planet after it" mod too please say so now. I can relive both of those near flawlessly in my head after doing it so many times.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    While I do think both KOTOR games are very good, I'm a bit more inclined to say TIE Fighter and its expansion represent the best Star Wars games ever--of course, any statement like this is a matter of opinion.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    So, started this months ago. Spent a while on Taris. Yeah.

Then I found my computer could run ME 1 and 2. They kinda filled the Bioware shaped spot in my heart. So, lay it on me, thread, because I'm sure there is are several very good answers.

Other than "Star Wars", I mean, because that has lost almost all its luster.

HK-47. That alone should be enough to sign up for 20 hours and put some points into repair. He was at his best in KotoR1 (mainly because all his good stuff got cut in 2).

Shutdown on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sith Academy spoilers
    "Help me strike down my master and take his place with you as my apprentice!"

"Strike my apprentice down and take her place!"

Pop Quiz, one of these thermal detonators is active, the others are not, can your force powers spot the difference?

You know, on the one hand, I am really happy that Revan didn't reappear in the Clone wars, but on the other hand, I would have liked to see the jedi get tossed around the room as Revan shows the different styles she experimented with.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Why all the Taris hate? Is it just because it's the area everyone's played through a million times?

anoffday on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Clones Wars?

Like, as a ghost? I know this is Star Wars, so they fudge with these things regularly, but....uh...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Why all the Taris hate? Is it just because it's the area everyone's played through a million times?

I hope I'm not about to ruin your first run through for you... :?

You can only level your character twenty times throughout the game. Total. So the more times you level in the initial class you picked at character creation, the fewer times you're allowed to level your character in the future after picking your advanced class upon leaving Taris. So not only is it a long and drawn out section of the game which you were required to sit through before the story got really good and you were allowed to pick your advanced class, but the game actually punishes you for leveling your character on Taris by forcing you to have a weaker character by the endgame. You can refuse to spend the XP points they throw at you and horde them for additional levels in your advanced class if you want; however, doing that means that towards the end of Taris you're far below the character level for which many of the quests were designed.

SammyF on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The soldier class, or whatever its called, is fine for a melee jedi. It doesn't really hurt to level it up.

the other starter classes are horrible though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm playing through this for the first time, too. I'm doing a light-side scout/sentinel build. I've put in just over 22 hours, and I just finally earned my Padawan title. Apparently I loves me some dialogue. And I can't get enough of this game. It's fantastic. I'll probably do atleast one more playthrough before moving on to something else in my backlog. It'll definitely be a dark-side run, and I'm thinking probably scoundrel/consular.

I considered jumping through the requisite hoops to get it to run in widescreen, but decided against it. I also really dislike seeing my desktop while I play, so I'm just playing it fullscreen. And honestly (I'm asuming because I've never seen it in it's proper aspect ratio, therefore I have nothing to compare it to) it looks fine.

EDIT: And now that I've read the previous two posts, I feel a little sick to my stomach. :?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can't say I much cared for the first one. Between the by the numbers good versus evil plot, the predictable twist, the awfulness of the Bastilla romance thing, the extent to which Battle Meditation was a nonsensical MacGuffin...

The second one was a breath of fresh air.
    You know, on the one hand, I am really happy that Revan didn't reappear in the Clone wars, but on the other hand, I would have liked to see the jedi get tossed around the room as Revan shows the different styles she experimented with.

The Clone Wars were between 3 and 4 thousand years after Revan lived.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am very glad you bought this game anoffday.

It's one of my top most favorite games.

Pazaak is pure luck.

Of course just try winning without using your cards until the second or third game of three, should increase your chances of winning a little.

Also, the cards never show up again after being dealt. So if you get a two, another two will never be put down until the next hand is dealt.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I'm playing through this for the first time, too. I'm doing a light-side scout/sentinel build. I've put in just over 22 hours, and I just finally earned my Padawan title. Apparently I loves me some dialogue. And I can't get enough of this game. It's fantastic. I'll probably do atleast one more playthrough before moving on to something else in my backlog. It'll definitely be a dark-side run, and I'm thinking probably scoundrel/consular.

I considered jumping through the requisite hoops to get it to run in widescreen, but decided against it. I also really dislike seeing my desktop while I play, so I'm just playing it fullscreen. And honestly (I'm asuming because I've never seen it in it's proper aspect ratio, therefore I have nothing to compare it to) it looks fine.

EDIT: And now that I've read the previous two posts, I feel a little sick to my stomach. :?

:(

I would suggest not putting any of your force talent points into Heal for your own character. You can build one of your other force sensitive companions into a healer, and use medpack consumables when not teamed with that character. Since you're going to have access to fewer force talent picks through the rest of the game, spent them on talents that will improve your own DPS or defense.

SammyF on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Can't say I much cared for the first one. Between the by the numbers good versus evil plot, the predictable twist, the awfulness of the Bastilla romance thing, the extent to which Battle Meditation was a nonsensical MacGuffin...

The second one was a breath of fresh air.

The Clone Wars were between 3 and 4 thousand years after Revan lived.

Oh, they were going to have a cameo. It got axed. Now I want that armor.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I got this on sale, spent a half hour getting it to accept input, then spent a half hour trying to figure out the classes and stats, then spent a half hour in-game, most of which was consumed by trying to figure out the menus. Then I spent an hour trying and failing to get it to run in widescreen. All in all, worked on the game for over two hours, played for less than ten minutes. Not really an inviting experience and I'm not sure if I have the patience to try to get into it again. Mostly miffed that Steam would sell me a game that doesn't work out of the box.

Torso Boy on