As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The second PSN down thread... yes, there's a new one. Go post there.

1565758596062»

• KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So how many hours until this supposed May 24 return of the Store *cringe*
    I live in the future down here so it has already been 24 May for eleven and a half hours. Also is the Japanese PSN coming back when the it's store is ready or is the 24 May date only for specific regions?

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kaimaka wrote: »
    I live in the future down here so it has already been 24 May for eleven and a half hours. Also is the Japanese PSN coming back when the it's store is ready or is the 24 May date only for specific regions?

I don't think anyone knows. In fact, I think the May 24th date was a rough estimate to begin with, not a hard deadline.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PSN usually releases store content in the afternoon in North America, so if they do manage to hit the May 24th target I'd say it'd probably be up around then, at least for NA. No idea about other regions.

JAEF on
  • kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Was hoping for late tonight so I have something to do tomorrow morning.

kyleh613 on
  • HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I don't think anyone knows. In fact, I think the May 24th date was a rough estimate to begin with, not a hard deadline.

June 1 is the day.

There is absolutely no question about it. Prepare.

Hurtdog on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aw man I just snagged up Dead Space 2 Limited Edition (on sale woohoo!) with Extraction and while I can install Extraction just fine I can't register my "online pass code" for DS2 multiplayer until the PSN store comes back it seems.

powersurge on
    edited May 2011
    PSP Software Update 6.39 releasing "soon"

Which usually means within a few hours.

JAEF on
    edited May 2011
    powersurge wrote: »
    Aw man I just snagged up Dead Space 2 Limited Edition (on sale woohoo!) with Extraction and while I can install Extraction just fine I can't register my "online pass code" for DS2 multiplayer until the PSN store comes back it seems.

So the option to enter a promo code from 'Account Management' is down because it's back-end is just the store right. It's not just that everyone always uses the PSN store for entering promo codes eh?

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So if I were to upgrade my PS3 hard drive would this possibly screw me out of my 2 free games?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited May 2011
    So if I were to upgrade my PS3 hard drive would this possibly screw me out of my 2 free games?
    Not in any way.

JAEF on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The free games are account based, and not in any way affected by what system you have.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Awesome, because my tiny drive is desperately low on room. I probably couldn't even download one of those free games at this point.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited May 2011
    No, harddrives are temporary and changeable. Its the your PSN account that owns the games and free games, not any particular harddrive or PS3

Edit: So slow, beaten twice

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know there was an issue at least one firmware back that made it impossible to swap drives.
    Has that quirk been worked out? I have a drive waiting to go in my wife's ps3!

useless4 on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't believe the PSP is up to Firmware 6.39. I had one when the firmware was 1.50.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited May 2011
    I never heard of that what was that about? Could that firmware not do the backup process? Otherwise how would that firmware stop anything? on PS3 slims you need to install the current firmware from usb when setting up the new hard drive anyway. (I don't remember that on the old-style PS3 though)

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Awesome, because my tiny drive is desperately low on room. I probably couldn't even download one of those free games at this point.

Just make sure what game saves you can part with, because for some reason the most random games on PS3 can't be transferred. Like I don't think you can copy over FF13. Why? I don't think you can abuse copying saves for any trophies, and it doesn't go online. It's just locked for no reason. Also when the store comes back you'll have to re-download any games/DLC you bought or redeemed.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    Gilder wrote: »

Just make sure what game saves you can part with, because for some reason the most random games on PS3 can't be transferred. Like I don't think you can copy over FF13. Why? I don't think you can abuse copying saves for any trophies, and it doesn't go online. It's just locked for no reason. Also when the store comes back you'll have to re-download any games/DLC you bought or redeemed.
    Not if you do a full backup and restore.

JAEF on
  • LeevityLeevity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'd suggest queing up the downloads so that they're at least tied to your account before swapping drives.

Leevity on
    XBL/PSN/Steam: Leevity
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Gilder wrote: »

Not if you do a full backup and restore.

Oh that's right, it's just a hard drive switch. I forgot that you can do a full backup if it's just a hard drive switch. It's a system switch you get screwed on.

Gilder on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/sonys-latest-ps3-firmware-gaffe-hd-upgrades-temporarily-impossible.ars

This is what I was greeted with when the wife hit the limit on the current drive in Feb.
    Then all hell broke loose with PSN right when I finally got around attempting it again.

So with all the other things going on, I was just wondering if anyone had done a swap since all the new firmwares came out.

useless4 on
    edited May 2011
    Update: It looks as if Sony silently pushed out a new version of the 3.56 firmware that requires you to manually update the system. There are no notes on what this new version does, and the version number remains the same, but the problem may have been fixed.
    that makes me think my comment about needing the current firmware on a USB when you swap drive now is a fix for this issue, not the PS3 fatty vs Slim thing like I said before. I'm pretty sure you could download 3.61 off a Playstation site, have it on a USB stick and be good too go. Just remember to do the Backup thing before you start. if it doesn't wok for some reason put the old drive back in and you are no worse off right?

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

So the option to enter a promo code from 'Account Management' is down because it's back-end is just the store right. It's not just that everyone always uses the PSN store for entering promo codes eh?

When I first loaded up DS2 there's an option to either enter code, buy code, or 2 day trial. The enter code and buy code boxes are greyed out I assume due to the PSN store still being down. So I guess anyone who already registered their online pass can still play DS2 online now that multiplayer is back online but those who just purchased the game can't until the store is back online?

powersurge on
    edited May 2011
    When I first loaded up DS2 there's an option to either enter code, buy code, or 2 day trial. The enter code and buy code boxes are greyed out I assume due to the PSN store still being down. So I guess anyone who already registered their online pass can still play DS2 online now that multiplayer is back online but those who just purchased the game can't until the store is back online?
    Correct. I know MK9 let you do the trial (before they changed it to not require anything until the store comes back up.) Can't you do the trial for DS2?

JAEF on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    I can't believe the PSP is up to Firmware 6.39. I had one when the firmware was 1.50.

So do I, back just after launch when I paid $250 for the bundle.

Remember when GTA LCS was coming out, and it required firmware 2.0, which was "unhackable"?

Good times.

SmokeStacks on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Remember when GTA LCS was coming out, and it required firmware 2.0, which was "unhackable"?

Statements like this? They are challenges.

Mechanical on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So are we all getting that free month of PSN+ once the Store hits? Or is that still something planned for an undetermined time?

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited May 2011
    Page 99 eh? I can't wait for the new thread. "PSN Store is back up. Get your free games details in OP"
    Let hope the soft deadline of May 24 turns out to be accurate.

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »

Statements like this? They are challenges.

So, somewhere at Sony, someone boldly declared, "PSN's security defenses are impregnable!" I guess?

Synthesis on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TEHY PROMIOSED TEH 24 ADN IT;S NOT UP YET HARGBARGLE!!11ONE!11!

Sorry. Thought I was posting on Gamefaqs.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Son of a fuck. Of course I didn't charge my PSP battery, and the thing is now officially dead. Unfortunately the thing's AC charger port doesn't work, and for some fucking reason you can't charge via USB UNLESS you can turn it on and go into "USB Charge Mode".

urahonky on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, that sucks. Do you have a friend with a PSP who could charge the battery? You can also download PSP games on the PS3 and transfer them at a later date.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    Son of a fuck. Of course I didn't charge my PSP battery, and the thing is now officially dead. Unfortunately the thing's AC charger port doesn't work, and for some fucking reason you can't charge via USB UNLESS you can turn it on and go into "USB Charge Mode".
    Same thing happened to a friend recently. I found a random used cable at EB that solved the problem (essentially USB -> Wall adapter). I'm sure more useful people could help out but if not I can send a pic/info when I get home.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well I posted that in the E3 thread as well, and people pointed me towards http://www.amazon.com/PSP-2000-Battery-Charger-Sony/dp/B000X2BAOK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top so I might pick that up. I'm almost positive we have a USB -> Wall adapter and it didn't work. :(

urahonky on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Same thing happened to a friend recently. I found a random used cable at EB that solved the problem (essentially USB -> Wall adapter). I'm sure more useful people could help out but if not I can send a pic/info when I get home.

Won't help if it's the plug on the PSP itself that's the problem.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For those asking about the PlayStation Store, we’re still targeting restoration of all services by the end of this month. Contrary to reports, the Store will not be publishing today.

I guess internet stores are a hard thing to get running

mntorankusu on
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For those asking about the PlayStation Store, we’re still targeting restoration of all services by the end of this month. Contrary to reports, the Store will not be publishing today.

I guess internet stores are a hard thing to get running

I'm thinking that since PSN still isn't up in Japan, maybe that's why they're holding off on the store still.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well I posted that in the E3 thread as well, and people pointed me towards http://www.amazon.com/PSP-2000-Battery-Charger-Sony/dp/B000X2BAOK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top so I might pick that up. I'm almost positive we have a USB -> Wall adapter and it didn't work. :(
    You're right. His problem was that he lost his AC cable but he did have a USB->Wall. I must have picked up an AC->USB for him. I need more coffee.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Official word from the Playstation Blog:
    PlayStation Network is scheduled to undergo maintenance today, from about 8am until approximately 5pm Pacific time. During this time, registration and Account Management will be inaccessible, including the password reset process. While some users may experience difficulty signing in to PSN, the majority of consumers will be able to play online as well as sign in to external sites that require PSN authentication (like this one).

Stay tuned to the PlayStation Twitter feed for updates and a notice when maintenance has concluded.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

So, no store today. Certain aspects of the PSN will go down for maintenance, but it's not the store coming back when that happens.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Christ, we need a THIRD thread for this thing?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=19348122#post19348122

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293