As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Challange Coin 2011?

Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in PAX Archive
I was curious if anyone is going to be doing a challange coin again this year. I recall there were many problems with it, but I love mine and would love to have more. If there is a strong demand for it and noone else is able to, I WILL look into getting them made this year.

Slipstream0 on

• Cuddly AardvarkCuddly Aardvark Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would definitely buy a couple. I'm not sure what goes into making them, but I might be able to help if you needed it.

Cuddly Aardvark on
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Considering all the snags that were hit with the coin for East, I'd say now is the time to get the ball rolling on this, if for no other reason than to make sure we can actually get them in time to bring them to PAX with us. I don't remember who ran it, but I think it was the same person both times (Prime '10 and East '11). I know that US Challenge Coin was the company that made them.

But what he did was come up with an initial design, modify it according to the whims of the forum, then start a chip-in account for people to make donations to get the die made, which then had to be changed because one side was weird. Some of us didn't get them til after PAX, and at least one person didn't get it til a month or two later.

But I would at least try to figure out who that was to make sure you're not stepping on any toes. That said, I'm looking forward to getting another one of these.

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Considering all the snags that were hit with the coin for East, I'd say now is the time to get the ball rolling on this, if for no other reason than to make sure we can actually get them in time to bring them to PAX with us. I don't remember who ran it, but I think it was the same person both times (Prime '10 and East '11). I know that US Challenge Coin was the company that made them.

But what he did was come up with an initial design, modify it according to the whims of the forum, then start a chip-in account for people to make donations to get the die made, which then had to be changed because one side was weird. Some of us didn't get them til after PAX, and at least one person didn't get it til a month or two later.

But I would at least try to figure out who that was to make sure you're not stepping on any toes. That said, I'm looking forward to getting another one of these.

i believe it was papaprinny that organized everything for the prime coin last year. I think it was northwest territorial mint or something along those lines, and sort of remember hearing that we would switch to US challenge coin this time. Thats what I remember at least, hopefully it's right.

qwhacker on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    yes, papaprinny was the main organizer last year. He also worked on the East coin this year, which was done by US Challenge Coins.

zerzhul on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And I must say, though the process is somewhat painful, the end result is really pretty. Definitely worth it in my opinion!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Kilo147Kilo147 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone got pics of the East coin?

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Kilo147 wrote: »
    Anyone got pics of the East coin?

You will certainly find some here
    http://tinyurl.com/43odawx

zerzhul on
  • Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I absolutely have no intention of stepping on anyones toes :) Im shooting papaprinny a PM now about it. I mostly posted this because I love my PAX '10 challange coin, and want to make sure we have some this year as well.

I have been casually looking around for a company for them, and my old boss works in the promotional products industry, so I will be hitting him up as well if papaprinny wants to pass on them this year (which given the headache it sounds like this has been, i wouldnt blame him).

Slipstream0 on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Papaprinny isn't on the forums very much so I sent him a more direct message about this. I'm also not sure if he wants to take charge of this again, what with real life work and the Community DVD, but we'll see.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited May 2011
    @coldbrew - thanks, i sent him a PM as well. I'll keep moving forward with what I can till we hear back for sure.

Slipstream0 on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why hello thar!
    We can get the ball rolling on this, but if I am to participate, I am honestly only interested in the design portion of the process. We do, however, need an organizer. If someone wants to organize this and talk with US Challenge Coins in order to get our draft design turned into a coin, please post your willingness to do so. Once we have a person willing to handle all the administrative stuff, we'll have that person create the official thread! From there we take precisely one month to gather ideas and create a draft design. After that month is over, the final design will be produced and sent off to US Challenge Coins for minting.
    I volunteer myself to put together our draft design when the time comes, by the way. I'll post pics of my Prime 2010 and East 2011 coin designs if anyone needs convincing.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    papaprinny wrote: »
    Why hello thar!
    We can get the ball rolling on this, but if I am to participate, I am honestly only interested in the design portion of the process. We do, however, need an organizer. If someone wants to organize this and talk with US Challenge Coins in order to get our draft design turned into a coin, please post your willingness to do so. Once we have a person willing to handle all the administrative stuff, we'll have that person create the official thread! From there we take precisely one month to gather ideas and create a draft design. After that month is over, the final design will be produced and sent off to US Challenge Coins for minting.
    I volunteer myself to put together our draft design when the time comes, by the way. I'll post pics of my Prime 2010 and East 2011 coin designs if anyone needs convincing.

I would be more than happy to help organize the whole thing. Being my 3rd year going to PAX id love to get into something like this, and I have some experience with handling orders like this. Im more than happy to let you design it, as I LOVE your other designs :)

Slipstream0 on
    edited May 2011
    the official thread can be found here - http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=19347711#post19347711

@PapaPrinny - due to their estimated shipping time, I would like to get the design done within 2 weeks if possible. I know it gives less time to tweak it, but it should help insure that everyone gets their coins before pax.

Slipstream0 on
This discussion has been closed.