As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do I get rid of my sniffles?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So basically I felt I was coming down with something on Saturday and I did come down with something. I woke up yesterday morning feeling like my head was going to explode ala Scanners and I had a semi-congested, semi-runny nose (which I turned into a full-runny nose thanks to some over the counter congestion meds). And I think I had a fever. I feel weak-ish.

I took my first sick day in three months. And I drank a lot of orange juice, gatorade, chicken soup, and slept. I'm pretty sure I broke my fever, too. Mostly anyway.

Normally, I would just pity myself and suffer through the sickness as long as it takes, but I have friends coming from Finland on Friday and I want to make sure I'm in tip-top shape for when they come.

So what are your best methods for getting rid of this kind of crap? I mean I have four days, I should be able to kick it. Sadly, I cannot take another day off of work, so I'm going in (right now). I dunno. Gorge myself on chicken soup and OJ? Take vitamin supplements and if so which ones? Rub tuna fish on my belly while singing the national anthem? I'm open to any suggestion at this point.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sleep and let it run it's course. You can treat the symptoms but taking time off work and letting your body fight it is really all you can do. I take theraflu round the clock for my colds and sleep like crazy.

VisionOfClarity on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zicam, but it tends to work best if you catch th cold right at the beginning. I still find it helps though.

Otherwise tons of water/OJ/vitamin C/chicken soup and sudafed.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Orange juice is okay, but don't let it take the place of *water*. Lots and lots of water, even if you have to pee every half hour. That and 9 hours of sleep or more. And a nap if you can. Then, Vitamin C and Zinc are helpful.

If none of that works, you could always try leeches...

RadicalTurnip on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How sick do you feel? If your fever is high (over 101ish) and you ache everywhere and it takes effort just to sit up and breathe, you may have the flu and there is actual medication to help.

Otherwise you have a viral upper respiratory infection. Nothing has ever been shown to reduce the length of a cold by more than about 4 hours. Take NSAIDs*, a decongestant with pseudophedrine* and generic claritin to get through work. Sleep anytime you aren't at work and stay hydrated.

The good news is that four days is long enough for the worst part to be over just because it will have run its course.

*Read the packaging carefully. If your decongestant already contains NSAIDs don't take a separate NSAID. I always try to get single ingredient meds but they are hard to find - most of them are combinations of multiple medications.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    By the way, is it normal that I have VERY bizarre waking hallucinations every time I have even a mild/slight fever?

Drez on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Orange juice is okay, but don't let it take the place of *water*. Lots and lots of water, even if you have to pee every half hour. That and 9 hours of sleep or more. And a nap if you can. Then, Vitamin C and Zinc are helpful.

If none of that works, you could always try leeches...

Yes. I'm the type of person who gets yearly colds around the winter time, but they always used to last the better part of a month. It was miserable. A year or two ago, my friend suggested really focusing on drinking tons of water, tons and tons of water. Ever since I've never had a cold that's lasted more than three days.

You should also be making even more of a point of eating regular, balanced meals. The best way to get rid of a cold, is to really take care of your body. Pamper it with healthy decisions and your immune system will kick into overdrive.

Javen on
  • DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

This, so very much. I'm working through mostly the same thing right now (started on Saturday too), and drinking tons and tons of water is probably what's keeping me from crossing the line into "oh god, I want to die" vs. just feeling crappy.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I second zicam, and potentially cold-eez (just don't pop them like candy, you will regret it). but yeah, drink a lot of water, and get lots of rest. all the remedies will just dull the symptoms, only time will cure you.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    By the way, is it normal that I have VERY bizarre waking hallucinations every time I have even a mild/slight fever?

I think that it varies a lot from person to person.

Anecdotal, but my brother acts pretty odd when he's running a mild fever, say 100F. I've remained lucid, albeit feeling like mangled roadkill, when running fevers of 104F or more.

Raekreu on
  • DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Drez wrote: »

As said, it varies - personally, low-grade fever doesn't faze me if given appropriate temperature surroundings. But last time I had a fever of 103 or so, I decided in the middle of the night that it would be a nifty idea to go sleep on the living room couch for no reason....and spent the rest of the night dreaming about being lost in a desert with talking cactus.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zicam, Cold-eez, and all of those other homeopathic remedies (and yes, they are homeopathic; it says so right on the box) are bullshit. Same goes with vitamin C.

Like everyone else is saying, eat right, rest, and drink plenty of water. There's really nothing else you can do about a cold, aside from avoiding one in the first place (by getting sleep, eating right, exercising, etc.).

Thanatos on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Six wrote: »
    Zicam, but it tends to work best if you catch th cold right at the beginning. I still find it helps though.

Zicam is a homeopathic remedy disguised as a pharmaceutical and it does not work at all.
    Sleep as much as you can and keep hydrated. Colds are viral and they have a set course. You can ensure that it passes quickly by making sure you don't wear out your immune system even more by lacking sleep or being dehydrated or overworked.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Zicam is a homeopathic remedy disguised as a pharmaceutical and it does not work at all.
    Sleep as much as you can and keep hydrated. Colds are viral and they have a set course. You can ensure that it passes quickly by making sure you don't wear out your immune system even more by lacking sleep or being dehydrated or overworked.

Well, we can always hope for some placebo effect to help him feel well enough to meet his friends.

edit: do things that make you feel better. If you like drinking some orange juice, do that. Is there something that you like to eat? Have someone pick that up. Watch some TV you like. Sleep. Whatever.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Actually, there are multiple studies suggesting that alcohol can keep the cold at bay, and also depress symptoms (though the latter seems obvious). Maybe I should just binge drink until the cold is gone.*

*kidding**

**mostly.

Anyway, I'm feeling a lot better today. I did get a fair amount of sleep last night and I think I'm on the road to feeling better. Still sniffly, but I've been worse.

Drez on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Zicam, Cold-eez, and all of those other homeopathic remedies (and yes, they are homeopathic; it says so right on the box) are bullshit. Same goes with vitamin C.

Like everyone else is saying, eat right, rest, and drink plenty of water. There's really nothing else you can do about a cold, aside from avoiding one in the first place (by getting sleep, eating right, exercising, etc.).

While there is NO evidence that vitamin C actually does anything to reduce duration of illnesses, it is a natural antihistamine so that will help with congestion (at the very least).

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited May 2011
    jefe414 wrote: »

While there is NO evidence that vitamin C actually does anything to reduce duration of illnesses, it is a natural antihistamine so that will help with congestion (at the very least).
    Pseudoephedrine is also an antihistamine that will help with congestion. And do so to a far, far greater degree than vitamin C. However, the OP wasn't looking to treat symptoms.

Thanatos on
    edited May 2011
    JebusUD wrote: »

Well, we can always hope for some placebo effect to help him feel well enough to meet his friends.

edit: do things that make you feel better. If you like drinking some orange juice, do that. Is there something that you like to eat? Have someone pick that up. Watch some TV you like. Sleep. Whatever.
    You make a good point.

Drez, the only thing clinically proven to shorten the duration of the common cold is sending me money. The more money you send me, the faster you will get better.

Thanatos on
  • RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JebusUD wrote: »

You make a good point.

Drez, the only thing clinically proven to shorten the duration of the common cold is sending me money. The more money you send me, the faster you will get better.

Send Thanatos enough money and you will actually feel better when you get sick - it's just like old school RPGs, get enough resistance and eventually what once harmed you will heal you!

Raekreu on