As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about Knights of the Old Republic

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I got this on sale, spent a half hour getting it to accept input, then spent a half hour trying to figure out the classes and stats, then spent a half hour in-game, most of which was consumed by trying to figure out the menus. Then I spent an hour trying and failing to get it to run in widescreen. All in all, worked on the game for over two hours, played for less than ten minutes. Not really an inviting experience and I'm not sure if I have the patience to try to get into it again. Mostly miffed that Steam would sell me a game that doesn't work out of the box.

Steam kind of blows for buying older games. I'm a huge fan of the game, but I'm also holding out hope that I'm going to see it on GoG.com, which does a much better job with supporting older games on newer operating systems.

SammyF on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SammyF wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I'm playing through this for the first time, too. I'm doing a light-side scout/sentinel build. I've put in just over 22 hours, and I just finally earned my Padawan title. Apparently I loves me some dialogue. And I can't get enough of this game. It's fantastic. I'll probably do atleast one more playthrough before moving on to something else in my backlog. It'll definitely be a dark-side run, and I'm thinking probably scoundrel/consular.

I considered jumping through the requisite hoops to get it to run in widescreen, but decided against it. I also really dislike seeing my desktop while I play, so I'm just playing it fullscreen. And honestly (I'm asuming because I've never seen it in it's proper aspect ratio, therefore I have nothing to compare it to) it looks fine.

EDIT: And now that I've read the previous two posts, I feel a little sick to my stomach. :?

:(

I would suggest not putting any of your force talent points into Heal for your own character. You can build one of your other force sensitive companions into a healer, and use medpack consumables when not teamed with that character. Since you're going to have access to fewer force talent picks through the rest of the game, spent them on talents that will improve your own DPS or defense.

Thanks for the suggestion on Heal. I've only gotten the first two powers points, and they went into Speed Burst and Affect Mind (since I'm a sucker for the persuade options). I think I'm only like lvl 8 or 9. I refused to read any guides ahead of time because I really wanted this to be a clean playthrough, but the level cap would have definitely been a nice thing to know.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thats one of the things I love about Bioware games, the moral choices. You say to yourself, it'll be fun to be a dick, I'm going to do THIS! And then your next choice is a little worse, and a little more, and so on, until the end of the game you feel sick inside and disgusted with your character. Ahhh, good times.

Behumat on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Behumat wrote: »
    Thats one of the things I love about Bioware games, the moral choices. You say to yourself, it'll be fun to be a dick, I'm going to do THIS! And then your next choice is a little worse, and a little more, and so on, until the end of the game you feel sick inside and disgusted with your character. Ahhh, good times.

In no game is this better exemplified than Jade Empire.

I still can't make the final 'evil' choice in that game.

Z0re on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Z0re wrote: »
    Behumat wrote: »

In no game is this better exemplified than Jade Empire.

I still can't make the final 'evil' choice in that game.
    This is just one of a thousand things that make JE the greatest game of all time.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I, like, the only person who was so engrossed in the story that I didn't see the big KOTOR twist coming? Or are there a lot of you who are just embarrassed to admit you were too?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SammyF wrote: »
    I'm playing through this for the first time, too. I'm doing a light-side scout/sentinel build. I've put in just over 22 hours, and I just finally earned my Padawan title. Apparently I loves me some dialogue. And I can't get enough of this game. It's fantastic. I'll probably do atleast one more playthrough before moving on to something else in my backlog. It'll definitely be a dark-side run, and I'm thinking probably scoundrel/consular.

I considered jumping through the requisite hoops to get it to run in widescreen, but decided against it. I also really dislike seeing my desktop while I play, so I'm just playing it fullscreen. And honestly (I'm asuming because I've never seen it in it's proper aspect ratio, therefore I have nothing to compare it to) it looks fine.

EDIT: And now that I've read the previous two posts, I feel a little sick to my stomach. :?

:(

I would suggest not putting any of your force talent points into Heal for your own character. You can build one of your other force sensitive companions into a healer, and use medpack consumables when not teamed with that character. Since you're going to have access to fewer force talent picks through the rest of the game, spent them on talents that will improve your own DPS or defense.

Thanks for the suggestion on Heal. I've only gotten the first two powers points, and they went into Speed Burst and Affect Mind (since I'm a sucker for the persuade options). I think I'm only like lvl 8 or 9. I refused to read any guides ahead of time because I really wanted this to be a clean playthrough, but the level cap would have definitely been a nice thing to know.

I'm the exact same way about not reading guides, and I also picked a Scout as my starter class for my first run through before I discovered the level cap, so I can totally empathize. Moreover, I'd sunk some of my feats into gunslinger talents that were basically worthless as soon as I reached Dantooine.

You're still going to be able to finish the game, and it will still be fun. You just have to keep in mind that it's a D20 game underneath the hood, so from here on out the game is about making every decision with the mentality of "what's going to give me the best opportunity to get lucky?"

SammyF on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MASTER! I made you some protective robes from the special machine!

YOU FREAKING TOASTER! THE CATGIRL IS FIGHTING SO MANY GUARDS THATS SHE'S TRIPLE WIELDING WITH HER TAIL! GET OUT HERE AND KILL SOMETHING!

I just laughed at the absurdity of sending HK to use a machine while we were fighting in the hallway.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    Am I, like, the only person who was so engrossed in the story that I didn't see the big KOTOR twist coming? Or are there a lot of you who are just embarrassed to admit you were too?
    I had it spoiled for me before I left Taris.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I didn't see it either.
    Now I have a specific name for my character every time I play through again.

The real name. It makes some of the dialog priceless.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

I didn't see it either.

I missed it for the same reason. I was also really young and naive.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    First real game I ever beat. I really ought to finish another playthrough sometime. KotOR got me into gaming.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok, I'm stuck.
    I was in the vulkar's base completely out of med packs just sneaking around. I open a door and I get a cutscene and I'm surrounded by guys. I told them I would kill the bek leader, even though I didn't want. I was so low on health with no med packs that I didn't stand a chance against them, though. I was just hoping I could betray them in the end anyway. Is my only option to kill the bek leader now?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Ok, I'm stuck.
    I was in the vulkar's base completely out of med packs just sneaking around. I open a door and I get a cutscene and I'm surrounded by guys. I told them I would kill the bek leader, even though I didn't want. I was so low on health with no med packs that I didn't stand a chance against them, though. I was just hoping I could betray them in the end anyway. Is my only option to kill the bek leader now?
    As far as I can remember you're stuck.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok, I'm stuck.

Are you on PC? If so, download the save game editor and give yourself some medipacks.

Otherwise reload and hope for an unreasonable amount of 20s.

Z0re on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn.

Ok new question, how do I run this in a window?

anoffday on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I didn't see it either.

Ha! Yes...my preference is to use (Huge Spoiler...do not click if you have not finished KOTOR)
    anagrams...the Jedi would be that unimaginative.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Ok, I'm stuck.
    As far as I can remember you're stuck.
    I'm good now.
    I ended up going back to the vulkar base after stocking up on some medpacks and wiped them out and took the booster. I rescued Bastila too. What a bitch.

Also, I'm trying to run it in a window, but this isn't working for me.

KotOR does allow windowed mode, you just need to modify a single file to ativate it. In the game's install directory is a file called swkotor.ini. Open that file in Notepad and scroll down to the section marked [Graphics Options]. Under [Graphics Options] add the following line:

AllowWindowedMode=1

Then look for a line that says "FullScreen=1" and change it to "FullScreen=0". Save the file, then run the game, it will now open in a window.

Anyone know why?

edit: Figured it out. I had to change my resolution.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man this game is awesome. Just came back from an hour of playing to say so. So fun.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

They lay it on pretty damn thick.
    I suspected heavily the moment Bastila and I were indicated to have some kind of Force Bond, given the specifics of what I was viewing and earlier ODDLY SPECIFIC COMMENTARY BY CARTH. The discussion between Vandar and Vrook though shortly thereafter? Yeah okay I know exactly what's going on here.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm on Dantooine right now.

I can't wait to get done with it and on to the good parts.

Mainly Force Choking people. That's a good part.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I didn't see it either.

Ha! Yes...my preference is to use (Huge Spoiler...do not click if you have not finished KOTOR)
    How many anagrams can you even make?

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I didn't see it either.

DARTH RAVEN DARKTALON BLOOD.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I didn't see it either.

D'ARTH RAVENGE EBONY DARKSIDE RAK'ATTA WAY

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I got this on sale, spent a half hour getting it to accept input, then spent a half hour trying to figure out the classes and stats, then spent a half hour in-game, most of which was consumed by trying to figure out the menus. Then I spent an hour trying and failing to get it to run in widescreen. All in all, worked on the game for over two hours, played for less than ten minutes. Not really an inviting experience and I'm not sure if I have the patience to try to get into it again. Mostly miffed that Steam would sell me a game that doesn't work out of the box.

Eh, I spend a few hours futzing around with settings and tweaks in new PC games. It's all part of the experience for me.

I'm always so disappointed when I go into the settings menu of a console game first-thing and the only options are a few sound volume settings. "Oh. I guess I just start playing the game? How odd."

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I didn't see it either.

D'ARTH RAVENGE EBONY DARKSIDE RAK'ATTA WAY
    Hard Tavern
    Hard Ant Rev
    Her Dart Van
    Van Rat Herd

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One thing I loved about these games was that they actually defined "canon" roles. I like being able to do my own thing but one thing I loved was trying to actually go through the story how it was actually happen in the SW universe.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man sometimes you can be so incredibly cruel: Taris underworld spoilers:
    When people are in quarantine for being infected with those creatures... can't remember what they're called. Then you go out and about, and come across a cure! So I head back to the cage, talk to the lady and say, "let me in I can save them!" And when I get in there, I cut them down with my blade to stop the infection from spreading.

Horrendous.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like it when you can
    ruin the lives of all the underworlders by not giving the journals to the right person. Makes me laugh so hard.

I love being a dick in this game

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    When people are in quarantine for being infected with those creatures... can't remember what they're called. Then you go out and about, and come across a cure! So I head back to the cage, talk to the lady and say, "let me in I can save them!" And when I get in there, I cut them down with my blade to stop the infection from spreading.

Horrendous.
    You know the first group can't be saved, but after they transform and you kill them, there's still a couple people in the back that you can save. And I think you get a light-side point for it, too.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For all of you complaining about Taris, when I finally left under its rather auspicious (for me) circumstances, it made looking at the planet in Star Wars: Empire at War a little better. So, from here on out, each and every time you hear about Taris in any Star Wars game, you can think about your adventures.
    and how your war against the Jedi and the Republic led to the deaths of millions of people. You monster.

Bioware: Making you evil, even when you are good.

Now if only I could get some quality evil gameplay in bethesda games.

Mid Game spoiler
    Seriously, talking to the catgirl and finding out I was the one who inspired her and subsequently was the one who led to her planet being destroyed, priceless. She was like another Tali!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Horrendous.
    You know the first group can't be saved, but after they transform and you kill them, there's still a couple people in the back that you can save. And I think you get a light-side point for it, too.

That's the group I meant. I'm just cruel enough to talk to them, ask about their day, then say screw it and take what was in their wallet.

A computer part?! What the heck man? That's all I get for bringing you the antidote then not using it on you?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Horrendous.

That's the group I meant. I'm just cruel enough to talk to them, ask about their day, then say screw it and take what was in their wallet.

A computer part?! What the heck man? That's all I get for bringing you the antidote then not using it on you?

Oh, ok. It seemed like you thought that was the only option. Carry on. You monster.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    :evil::evil::evil:

Icemopper on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm terrible at predicting plot twists, and it caught me off guard.

I was also like 15 when i played it.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I didn't expect the twist either..

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I had the twist "spoiled" for me a week after the game came out, but it was fairly heavily hinted at early on. Playing it now, I'd call it pretty heavy handed, but I can understand how many wouldn't catch it when they were younger.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm playing right now, and I'm not sure if I've caught on.

I think I know it.

Is
    Bastila a bad guy? er girl?

Just say yes or no.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No. Yes.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Just say yes or no.

anoffday on