As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How about that Jim Sterling Destructoid review? I haven't played the game yet, so I can't comment, but the internet has been burning up with bitching about it, so I wonder what people here are thinking.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How about that Jim Sterling Destructoid review? I haven't played the game yet, so I can't comment, but the internet has been burning up with bitching about it, so I wonder what people here are thinking.

It was a rather silly review. I definitely got the impression that he didn't want to like it from the start. That or he's just baiting fanboys for more hits, as some people in this thread suggested.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Evangir wrote: »

It was a rather silly review. I definitely got the impression that he didn't want to like it from the start. That or he's just baiting fanboys for more hits, as some people in this thread suggested.

Hasn't he admitted in the past that he will purposefully blast a good game for money generating hits?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I thought I was finished with chapter 1, or extremely close to it........ That was two hours ago. I've only just finished it finally, jesus the value for money is insane. I am definitely gonna buy anything else these guys throw out because it oozes quality. The end of ch.1 where (Iorveth spoilers!)
    you jump off the boat to save the elven women was ridiculously cool, like i was physically fist pumping and I never fucking do that! This game has me turning into a fratbro. I didn't have trouble with the subsequent parts either where you take control of other not-so-witchery characters. Found those parts quite easy. Oh and Saskia is awesome

As for CDP next project; I wouldn;t be too shocked if its W1: Remake with Witcher 2. A bundle. Oh god. I want it nowwwwwww

Big Classy on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All classical fantasy game soundtracks get pretty dull (see DA:O).

Well, what's interesting about this is that the witcher sounds like they TB Folmanned dat shit - ie go cross genre boundaries while still being fairly in keeping with an appropriate style.

On the other hand, I don't think an all "classical" soundtrack is necessarily dull; it's just DAO managed to make a dull example of such a soundtrack! The menu music for DAO was actually the best piece in the whole thing which is a bit sad.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Hasn't he admitted in the past that he will purposefully blast a good game for money generating hits?

The fact that stupid troll reviews like this are keeping Witcher's metacritic score from being oh-so-close to the top PC game is aggravating.

Also, question / mini-rant for Chapter 2-Roche side (major end spoilers for that chaper as well)..
    Does anyone know if its possible to reject or otherwise get out of the quest from Dethmold to hunt down the camp conspirators? I've been through the game already and I can definitely point all my problems with Chapter 2 to this quest.. It just seems like a non-witching quest for Neutral Geralt, and the fact that in the end its Roche leading it just makes me want to back away from Roche and all this as well. Just give me Sile and the Kingslayer and let me go on my way, damn it.

Lorek on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've lost my Witcher 2 save in reformatting.

Anyone happen to have a save at the end of Chapter 1 (at least, I'm assuming it's the end of the chapter, I'd already fought
    Letho
    ) prior to making the choice between
    Roche and Iorveth?

Yeah, let me figure out which one of these it is and I'll toss it up

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    So I've lost my Witcher 2 save in reformatting.

Anyone happen to have a save at the end of Chapter 1 (at least, I'm assuming it's the end of the chapter, I'd already fought
    Letho
    ) prior to making the choice between
    Roche and Iorveth?

Yeah, let me figure out which one of these it is and I'll toss it up

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1IALTX2Y

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i just finished the game and i am confused.
    what kind of ending did i get and how the hell can there be 16 of them? after getting a 5 hour long info dump from letho, i kill him quite easily and then geralt/triss/ivoreth walk off, geralt looks at a ladybird then all 3 walk off.. credits play and i hope there is some awesome post-credits cutscene, i await and one starts to play, only its just geralt looking out over the the loc from the tower, then walks back out of shot, the same shot that happens while fighting the dragon.. and then back to the menu wtf?

was that it? was something more meant to play? is this one of the bad endings? is it meant to lead into witcher 3/expansion pack?

i feel the epilouge was kinda shit and the whole chapter 3/eplouge felt rushed as hell.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm at the crossroads... I think... I think I'm going to pick...
    Ioverth. Mostly because he seems to want to go straight to Aedirn without delay, and in a region where it's suspected that Triss is.

I'm tempted to go with Roche though simply because I want to see that bastard Loredo hung. So tempted.

I have been getting horrible FPS in general (expected because I'm not running it under Windows, but even moreso than I'd imagined) but for some strange reason bumping the settings to Ultra gave me an FPS boost. I still ended up lowering the res to smooth out performance but it's better than it ever was before on High or even Low.

(Note: Ultra minus Ubersampling and Cinematic DoF.)

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright I updated the drivers to the beta and uninstalled the 3d stuff and the game runs fine on high settings now.

thanks everyone

M.D. on
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    From CDP's Michał Kiciński
    Guys,

Good news. Patch 1.1 is soon to be released! Test are in progress.
    Current ETA is Wednesday evening (Europe time)

Please expect major improvments:) and solution for most of the problems. Including:

- activation/installation problems
    - better performance (owners of retail version will notice the biggest difference)
    - no more DLC download/activation problems (Troll DLC will be INCLUDED in the patch itself, so
    no need to download and install it)
    - Nvidia 3D vision problem solved
    - invert mouse and keyboard mapping

and many more:-)

To be sure that all people will have an access to this patch there will be option of manuall download and installation.

Sorry 4 all problems, we will work hard to be sure that eventually all of you will be fully satified!

Michal
    CDP RED
    PS. Once this patch is in the tests right now, we already have started working on the next one in which we want to solve some more issues, including hardware specific problems (ie. g35 compatibility). Patch 1.1 seems to be very major one, but still if you don't find your problem on the list, there is a big chance that it will fixed soon in next patch. And we will really do all this ASAP.

Hurrah! No need for me to hunt down a GoG.exe!

These guys are awesome.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I didn't read his review, but he is the definition of a troll. There's no reason to read his articles.

Renzo on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lorek wrote: »
    The fact that stupid troll reviews like this are keeping Witcher's metacritic score from being oh-so-close to the top PC game is aggravating.

The second all-time PC game is "Out of the Park Baseball 2007" with -five- critical reviews and a 4.1 user score with 335 reviews.

Metacritic.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I just don't understand how such a unrepentant fanboy troll is so well known in the industry, it's kinda sickening. He trolls reviews, he trolls articles, he's been caught on multiple occasions reviewing games after just playing a little bit of them, he writes articles based purely upon fanboyism and doesn't do any research getting all sorts of facts wrong. How is he so damn popular?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I believe you just listed the reasons for his popularity.

Being an unrepentant asshole is the other route to a man's heart.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well some of the criticisms are valid. The prologue is the hardest part of the whole game, and with the clunkiest controls.

I don't get the criticisms about the level design though. I thought the way it was set out reduced a fair amount of backtracking. It felt like there was thought going into the flow of the quest. Admittedly you run around Flotsam a bit to find Endrega and Nekker nests, but overall there is a fair amount of reduced backtracking.

And the fetch quests are well-designed. Let's face it; RPGs almost always have at least one fetch quest. But this game packages it well, so that it ties into the plot. It's not aimless, like the random "Here I found this thing of yours" quests in DA2.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but regarding baltimore's nightmare
    when the quest tells you to go to the right according to baltimore's notes, I can't seem to find anything along what I think is the right. Can anyone help me figure out how to proceed?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but regarding baltimore's nightmare
    when the quest tells you to go to the right according to baltimore's notes, I can't seem to find anything along what I think is the right. Can anyone help me figure out how to proceed?
    go back to the area that branches off to the trolls lair, go down the path past the trolls, turn right towards the broken boat, check the mountain beside the boat (the tip of the shadow points towards the hidden door at noon.

Also I've found it to be more enjoyable for me combat and general control wise to use the xbox controller instead of kbam. However, this causes a couple annoying problems inside the menus under the character sheet. When you try to scroll left and right between your attributes, your "perks" that show the ranks of the special skills you've unlocked, an the detailed list of monster information, the movement is so fast that its luck of the draw on where it will land. I tap the stick slightly and it flips through them like 3-4 times. Same for scrolling up and down said menu's. Anyone know of a fix for this? Anyone besides me play with the controller at all? :P

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks so much. I had searched that area before, but a second look made the difference.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    I have serious doubts about how they'll pull off Witcher 3. You make a half dozen major choices that impact the Witcher world, they can't cover all those variables in the next game. It would be madness.

Sure they can.
    They'll handle it the same way they did with TW1 -> TW2 decisions. Casually mention them occasionally, have an occasional cameo, and just drown you in awesome shit so that you don't care that the carry-over is minor. I mean, the plot proceeds in a certain direction in TW2 regardless of what decisions you make, so there's a base for them to work from. The characters who live or die will be firmly in cameo territory, which is definitely a shame for some of them.

Or they'll just have TW3 be 3 different games depending on your path in TW2. Considering how they handled Act 2 in TW2, that wouldn't really surprise me either. CDP is crazy. o_O
    They can also just ignore whatever doesn't fit. There's not much Shani in Witcher 2, for example.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

The second all-time PC game is "Out of the Park Baseball 2007" with -five- critical reviews and a 4.1 user score with 335 reviews.

Metacritic.

Alright how about top new releases then :P

Lorek on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    what kind of ending did i get and how the hell can there be 16 of them? after getting a 5 hour long info dump from letho, i kill him quite easily and then geralt/triss/ivoreth walk off, geralt looks at a ladybird then all 3 walk off.. credits play and i hope there is some awesome post-credits cutscene, i await and one starts to play, only its just geralt looking out over the the loc from the tower, then walks back out of shot, the same shot that happens while fighting the dragon.. and then back to the menu wtf?

was that it? was something more meant to play? is this one of the bad endings? is it meant to lead into witcher 3/expansion pack?

i feel the epilouge was kinda shit and the whole chapter 3/eplouge felt rushed as hell.
    I can kinda see 16 endings... whether you joined with Iorveth or Roche, whether you saved Triss yourself or got the cursebreaking dagger for Saskia instead (if you teamed with Iorveth), or you gave Anais to the Temerians or you gave her to Radovid/saved Triss instead (if you buddied up with Roche) and whether you killed Letho or not are arguably the big choices of the game. Take all the possible combinations of those choices, and you get 16.

...and while I though the ending wrapped the main plot well enough... yeah, it's just begging for an xpac/post OC DLC/ Witcher 3 with the way it ended. :P
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Ioverth. Mostly because he seems to want to go straight to Aedirn without delay, and in a region where it's suspected that Triss is.

I'm tempted to go with Roche though simply because I want to see that bastard Loredo hung. So tempted.

I have been getting horrible FPS in general (expected because I'm not running it under Windows, but even moreso than I'd imagined) but for some strange reason bumping the settings to Ultra gave me an FPS boost. I still ended up lowering the res to smooth out performance but it's better than it ever was before on High or even Low.

End of Act 1 spoiler
    You can still kill Loredo in the Iorveth siding mission, it's just that with Roche it's garenteed, wheras with Iorveth you have to make a choice...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i will never take another vacation in my LIFE D:

:(

fridaaaaaaaaay

fridaaaaaaaaaaay i get to playyyy again

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »

I can kinda see 16 endings... whether you joined with Iorveth or Roche, whether you saved Triss yourself or got the cursebreaking dagger for Saskia instead (if you teamed with Iorveth), or you gave Anais to the Temerians or you gave her to Radovid/saved Triss instead (if you buddied up with Roche) and whether you killed Letho or not are arguably the big choices of the game. Take all the possible combinations of those choices, and you get 16.

...and while I though the ending wrapped the main plot well enough... yeah, it's just begging for an xpac/post OC DLC/ Witcher 3 with the way it ended. :P

End of Act 1 spoiler
    You can still kill Loredo in the Iorveth siding mission, it's just that with Roche it's garenteed, wheras with Iorveth you have to make a choice...
    Can I do it with a silver sword?

Sorry I just thought that was a great metaphor in the first game.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited May 2011

fridaaaaaaaaay

There there. Don't worry, by Friday you get to bitch about the terrible and unresponsive controls, bugs, and not-working DLC too.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow I'm actually kind of excited that the patch may improve the performance that much (I was on retail). It was always playable but there were certain moments that chugged. Definitely looking forward to the other path in Chapter 2. Think I may also switch over to the gamepad.

The other thing I think I may try is going for more of an "intimidation" route. The reason I say that is this: Geralt seemed a little too . . . nice during my first run. I Axii'd whenever I got a chance. But one of the things I really liked in Witcher 1 was seeing Geralt put people (mostly nobles) in their place. He always said just the right thing, sort of a concentrated id. I didn't get that as much this time around. (And yeah, boning every woman I (er,he) met added to that as well). The one time I did an intimidation I seem to remember the line was pretty badass, a little more W1 Geralt.

I'm also hoping for some more DLC. I lean a lot more towards the actual witching than all the political machinations. I would love for there to just be small towns haunted by X, people cursed by Y. Witcher's work. And I really like when the lore is more important than the combat. My favorite quest in W2 was Claws of Madness. More like that please.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    So nobody else is having a lightbleeding problem on an SLI system? I just can't for the life of me figure out a solution to this. All the google results's ideas don't seem to work on the steam version so bluh.
    The light bloom is pretty over the top, but I doubt that's what you're talking about

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wolfprint wrote: »

fridaaaaaaaaay

There there. Don't worry, by Friday you get to bitch about the terrible and unresponsive controls, bugs, and not-working DLC too.

pfft no, i loved witcher 2 combat as soon as i booted it up. i'm the guy who told you about the half-roll, remember? :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Geralt has some pretty badass lines.
    'You'll be fighting Twigs, so-called because his opponents snap like twigs.'
    "I love these pussies with cocky names."

'Piss off.'
    "Have you heard of the Butcher of Blaviken?"
    'Who hasn't? They say he could cut a man down in a single stroke.'
    "Yeah. I can. If you don't tell me what I want I'll splash your guts all over the wall."

So I've got all three persuasion abilities at level 3 (can these ever fail? is there an actual roll to this level, or is it predetermined whether an attempt can succeed with a given person or not), and I'm curious if there's any way to level the others, like Strong Back. I could use another 50 pounds of carry weight since I'm weighed down with all these monster and crafting parts I'm not sure I'm going to need.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »

End of Act 1 spoiler

How do you do that? When I did that part I saw that it said do X or Y, but I couldn't
    find Loredo anywhere, nor could I find a way to exit the area I was in.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also, question / mini-rant for Chapter 2-Roche side (major end spoilers for that chaper as well)..
    Does anyone know if its possible to reject or otherwise get out of the quest from Dethmold to hunt down the camp conspirators? I've been through the game already and I can definitely point all my problems with Chapter 2 to this quest.. It just seems like a non-witching quest for Neutral Geralt, and the fact that in the end its Roche leading it just makes me want to back away from Roche and all this as well. Just give me Sile and the Kingslayer and let me go on my way, damn it.

You can just stop doing the quest. The main story proceeds without it.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wolfprint wrote: »

fridaaaaaaaaay

pfft no, i loved witcher 2 combat as soon as i booted it up. i'm the guy who told you about the half-roll, remember? :P

I thought that was all anyone around these parts talked about.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When the patch hits, I'm going to try an Insane run.

I predict dying at the Kayran. That fucking bitch.

Hoz on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can I do it with a silver sword?

Sorry I just thought that was a great metaphor in the first game.
    Both swords are for monsters :D
    Hoz wrote: »
    When the patch hits, I'm going to try an Insane run.

I predict dying at the Kayran. That fucking bitch.

White Rafford's Decoction, Swallow and Mongoose so you can take more than 2 hits with Falka's Blood Oil to make up from the drop in damage, don't bother with the craftable trap since your timing has to be perfect if you don't want to get hit deploying it, the raging it does after losing a limb is easy to avoid so long as your not directly in front of it, and the tenticles in the finale slam down in a repeated pattern, easy to predict and bypass... the multitude of my deaths from the Kayran was accually from trying to figure out what to do after the QTE part :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    So nobody else is having a lightbleeding problem on an SLI system? I just can't for the life of me figure out a solution to this. All the google results's ideas don't seem to work on the steam version so bluh.
    The light bloom is pretty over the top, but I doubt that's what you're talking about

Here, take a peek. Its a common issue that has a solution, but I can't find the right exe to apply it to, that's the thing.

http://i.imgur.com/1Y9Ao.jpg
    There's only like 5 exes? the launcher, register thing and thing that autodetects settings in the main folder and the actual game exe and configure tool in the bin folder

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one who hasn't applied any enhancements to their utensils (har) for the simple fact that it would be permanent?

You know me... permanence without perfection is a no no

Also I'm still on Raven's armor and D'yaebl (and Aerondight)... because I like them.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There are no unique enhancements in the game, so feel free to use them because you can always get more with some coin.

Hoz on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just started Chapter 2.

I'm blown away. This is crazy impressive.

Renzo on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've got all three persuasion abilities at level 3 (can these ever fail? is there an actual roll to this level, or is it predetermined whether an attempt can succeed with a given person or not),
    There's a skill level check on them, definitely. I talked to the lady in chapter 1 about melitele's heart and failed her pesuasion check with zero persuasion. I came back with level 1 persuasion and I passed the check. It just seems that most of the persuasion options have low level checks (and even if they don't, it's real easy to max all of them), so you rarely come into a situation where you'll fail one. Plus, there seem to be plenty that you can't fail and maybe a couple that you can't succeed at.

Monger on