PS3 hooked up to Monitor via HDMI, how do I route the sound to my PC speakers?

eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
So I picked up a PS3 today thanks to an awesome deal at Target, but I have it hooked up via HDMI to my Asus monitor. Unfortunately I can't seem to get audio out of my monitor to my PC via line-in, so Im trying to figure out how to get my PS3 sound to my PC speakers which are far superior to monitor speakers.

I know theres an optical audio out on the PS3, but my PC motherboard only has the standard 3.5mm headphone/microphone jacks. Is there any sort of converter cable/box to be found?

eelektrik on


  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can use the regular RCA cable, plug the white and red ends into an adapter, then plug them into your audio input.

    Just change the setting on the PS3 to output over RCA while the video runs over HDMI. I'm doing the same thing (minus the adapter) to run the sound from my PS3 into a stereo system (my t.v. speakers suck balls).

    Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for reminding me that I already have one of those(One came with my Xbox 360 VGA adapter that Im not using since my 360 died). That solves the problem, sweet.

    eelektrik on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can just get a female/female adaptor and bypass your computer completely if you don't want to have it running every time you use your PS3. It would mean switching cables whenever you wanted to go back and forth, but it would save on your power bill.

    Like this:


    Or one of the old Logitech converter boxes:


    SmokeStacks on
Sign In or Register to comment.