As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Salty [Phalla]: Curse of the Crusty Pearls - VILLAGE VICTORY

• Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This may be stating the obvious, but, with the SK out of the way, our problem now is one purely of ninja infestation. Which means that voting records still matter, and hunches still matter.

So follow your nose, people. Who seems off?

wildwood on
  • Options
    DrKippyDrKippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wildwood wrote: »
    No role e-mail. I must not be a vig any more.
    Sad psychopath... :(
    Are PMs out yet?

Infidel handles all role PM stuff, so for anyone that might apply to, you will need to wait for him on that.

If you're missing something important that you usually get in a PM, let me know and I'll do my best to update you as best I can.

DrKippy on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you didn't get a PM it is because you are boring QED.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    A toast to Cap'n Teucrian! May his time leadin' the ship be profitable, adventurous, and as ninja-free as can be possible.

Best be workin' on your beard, there, sir. Oh, and on gettin' more crew, since we're runnin' low. Pirate crew, not more ninjas. If you don't mind my sayin'.

wildwood on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Infidel wrote: »
    If you didn't get a PM it is because you are boring QED.

Now that I've lost the monkey who raised me, I feel all empty inside...

wildwood on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    GAME OVER

Everyone wins except wildwood (kidding).

The final ninja has capitulated.

The game was all but over after last night, but I wanted to wait and give the final contestant a chance to decide if they wanted to continue.

Unlock your proboards, etc. Infidel will post role PM's and unlock the spreadsheet as well (I hope, otherwise he's a jerk).

I'll try to give more commentary soon as well.

Good game all! I hope you had fun with it, we certainly did.

A few quick notes though:
    I "messed up" the matching game by including questions that were a bit too easy to pirate-tize (which is fine really).
    But a big part of the game is that the game awards points strictly on the frequency of the answer.
    So if 10 players chose "penis" as their favorite number, that would actually award many points.
    So when MrBlarney said anyone chosing Monkey/Parrot as a pirates "third favorite animal" being silly, that's not true at all. The point wasn't to have a correct answer, just a frequent answer. If you anticipated most players would simply choose a parrot because it's an obvious answer, that's a pretty good answer.
    The answers actually collapsed onto similar themes quite quickly since we had a heavy pirate theme. With the Arrrtichoke and Arrrrdvark answers, they were fairly obvious in retrospect, where if I had designed better questions, they should not have been. Again, the pirate theme seemed to really help players choose more obvious answers.
    So, the game got played as intended, but wasn't as challenging/interesting as it could have been :)

I'll post more when I get a chance, but first week at a new gig, i should get back to it.

DrKippy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mafia/SK crossfire + good village vote analysis = gg village

Villager victory

Teucrian attains secondary victory for becoming the new captain.

Keika (Captain's Parrot) attains victory for surviving to roost on Teucrian's shoulder.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Goddammit CaptainPlanet, you are grudged to fucking hell. I had the best setup I ever could have asked for as a SK. :P

And I really didn't mean to keep killing you guys (EDIT: Meaning you ninjas), I guess my aim is just that bad/good.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've set both these to allow guests:

http://youarrapirate.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://tentanksspecops.proboards.com/index.cgi

So hopefully you can all see 'em now.

wildwood on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Plenty to discuss, but some important tidbits I guess I should mention now:

wildwood retained his role entirely with the rez, but the Monkey Paw rez cursed the user, turning them into an SK that is obsessed with reclaiming the paw. (It disappeared from the game.)

There was a Swagger mechanic (posts were submitted, anonymized and randomized, and then graded by B:L, thanks B:L <3) that powered a few special abilities. The top Swagger vig (Salty Swashbuckler and Liquored Liquidator) would get a kill, on one night there was a two way tie and the next night a three way tie. :lol: Others had their vote power based on their Swagger (it's on a GPA scale, and was rounded down for this one, so 0 - 4 vote power). And the Crusty Chums that had a self guard if they scored high enough, which blocked a mafia kill.

Gandalf was a villager, the monkey bus driver, who become SK aligned and gained a kill. He could not target himself and there were no other guard powers.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really thought the mafia had a good chance at winning this. The village specials were pretty obvious via posting style, I had what seemed like an awesome in with the village vigilante (who apparently suspected nothing of me), and we were 10 mafia out of 40 villagers on the day before I died.

I blame the parrot for screwing it all up! :D

Soooo...what was the deal with the cursed coins? And did the forums eating my PM to infidel to trade away the coin and my lack of follow up really doom me to die by the stupid parrot?

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's pretty nasty, having the SK and bus driver in the same role... especially with pretty much no other guarding roles in the game.

Who was the last ninja?

wildwood on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, shit really broke down for the mafia around the LoserForHireX vote.

Maybe it's easy to say with complete knowledge looking in, but there was lots of juicy posts ripe for scrutiny during that period, and the following days vote as well.

I think those two days could act as a case study for bad mafia behavior, imho.

DrKippy on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I do have to ask, why didn't the mafia contact me? Did you seer me, or was I just generally untrustworthy?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I certainly didn't trust you, Gandalf. Apparently for good reason :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There were three items, I will post the full writeups and roles when I get off work, till then you'll just have to wait. :P

Cursed Coin - doubled the vote on the holder
    Crystal Ball - seer and befriender (the target knew you were watching them)
    Monkey's Paw - granted wishes, cursing the user (vig, veto, rez)

Grundlterror was the final ninja, and held the coin still. The coin came very close to making an impact but it was averted last minute a few times. The 38thDoe wagon almost wasn't enough until RG was so adamant about it. :P If enough people had stayed on Grundl it would have officially ended last night.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's pretty nasty, having the SK and bus driver in the same role... especially with pretty much no other guarding roles in the game.

Who was the last ninja?

You were.

Er, I'm leaving that a mystery until Infidel blabs, they come forward, or everything is posted.

Feel free to wildly speculate for our amusement :)

And the coin doubled votes against you. It almost killed..... godmode? (I think?) quite early in the game. But never really came into effect otherwise. It was actually not traded as much as expected.

The village and mafia both had roles that could see who had ever handled an item as well.

All the items had drawbacks (which I'm sure was fun for the 'seer' to discover).

And there was in fact a thrall, and one miller. Though, the monkey paw, with its great power, also turned you into a miller without your knowledge.

DrKippy on
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just want to say, I'm glad I passed the monkey paw to the monkey for the last wish/charge. With how inactive I was in the last few days, it was a good thing a more active player ended up doing the killin'.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dang Infidel. Killjoy :)

DrKippy on
  • Options
    adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Good game everybody, I was just glad I managed to survive as long as I did for my first time being mafia. As for the kills, I know the reason we didnt try to kill Rawkking and wildwood toward the end was because we had tried to kill them before and failed, so we were hitting less active people hoping to get guards or other specials.

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Heh, no wonder I wasn't getting any kills. Too many people were writing better than I was.

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, except for the Simonwolf disaster, this was fun. I was right about those nasty spread-sheeters, just the wrong one. Should've gone after Phyphor, not MrBlarney! Arrrrrrr......rrr..r.r.r.r.r
    Arr?

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can stop the pirate talk now :3

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BTW, were there any Cursed Crusty Pearls?

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Argh, hours away from victory!
    This was a lot of fun, although the beginning with the two games going at once made it very hard for me to follow.

I'm always scared to vote on a wagon that I'm not 100% sure of because that is "suspicious" if they are village, and "suspicious" if they are mafia too.
    MaxFrost wrote: »
    No he can't!

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Infidel wrote: »
    There was a Swagger mechanic (posts were submitted, anonymized and randomized, and then graded by B:L, thanks B:L <3) that powered a few special abilities. The top Swagger vig (Salty Swashbuckler and Liquored Liquidator) would get a kill, on one night there was a two way tie and the next night a three way tie. :lol:

Who/what is B:L?

And do they not like Heffling? Because it seemed like I got my highest scores when I really laid into him.

wildwood on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Silly mafia. Where are the ninja boards? I want to know why you avoided so many specials and went for vanillagers instead

silly greedy mafia too. Astounding how easily they were caught by throwing such a lazy, lazy vote on warban and throwing everyone at it. At least I made up for my "HUH WHA I GOT SEERED?!" post.
    Thanks for hosting infidel and kips, and also thanks to simonwolf for hosting

Alegis on
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Good job village, my first time playing as a special and damn was it getting hard to come up with good stuff for my posts I am the worst creative writer, still lots of fun though, thanks for hosting Infidel. Also really wanna see the mafia boards should be some interesting stuff there considering Vertroue (and almost trust) were in our soft network fairly early on.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FidohFidoh BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This was a very fun game. Thank you, Infidel and Kippy.

Fidoh on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yay, first phalla where I won (First got called, second everyone died)!

I definitely had a problem early on remembering who everyone is and what they had done.

At least one of my hunches eventually turned out to be true.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This was my first time as a special, too, and I think writing all the swagger posts really got to me, over time. Not sure which was more important to me in the end, the village or the killin'. :)

wildwood on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    Silly mafia. Where are the ninja boards? I want to know why you avoided so many specials and went for vanillagers instead

silly greedy mafia too. Astounding how easily they were caught by throwing such a lazy, lazy vote on warban and throwing everyone at it. At least I made up for my "HUH WHA I GOT SEERED?!" post.
    Thanks for hosting infidel and kips, and also thanks to simonwolf for hosting

We got quite a few specials, just not enough. Turns out the mafia self destructed with the loser vote the one day I was gone practically all day! Always throw the mafia under the bus when you're ahead

http://yarharhar.proboards.com/index.cgi

Also, yay a new grudge. Rawkking!
    For wasting my time making me get on IRC for something that would have taken 2 PMs!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The point kinda was to waste your time/confuse the mafia as much as possible :P

I wasn't sure you'd actually believe it after all!

Though I should have pretended to be a naiive seer and kept you alive for a day or two.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That wouldn't have worked. You were going to be the next day's target unless you came through on your end (though we did not expect a busdriver monkey, obvious from narration though, but I was dead)

Phyphor on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alegis - been very very active all game and yet no one has voted on him since day 1.
    That's the best you can come up with CapPlanet ? :/ Not even a "KILL HIM BEFORE HE THROWS ALL OF US TO THE VOTE!" it's a "huh no one voted him that's odd"

Grudged.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Argh, hours away from victory!
    This was a lot of fun, although the beginning with the two games going at once made it very hard for me to follow.

I'm always scared to vote on a wagon that I'm not 100% sure of because that is "suspicious" if they are village, and "suspicious" if they are mafia too.
    MaxFrost wrote: »
    No he can't!

After giving you death (honestly I didn't think you were that suspicious, but I wasn't quite sure enough about Grundlterror just to have the network pile on him instead of SlyM) this sounds hypocritical but, on average, if you are not mafia and just vote for who you feel is suspicious you'll do better than a mafioso!

Ignoring the wagons entirely just makes things kinda a headache cause the network has to seer/vig those unknowns eventually.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Phyphor wrote: »
    That wouldn't have worked. You were going to be the next day's target unless you came through on your end (though we did not expect a busdriver monkey, obvious from narration though, but I was dead)

Noted. Needlessly complex, timewasting lies next time as well!

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man we had several people funneling info directly to the mafia, then we invited the mafia to a network board. All the work I was doing trying to get the info that was freely being tossed to the mafia right from the beginning and I got nothing lol.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    People were being pretty geesey with trusting mafia.

"OH MY GOD GUYS I CAN VERIFY ALL THE VILLAGERS CAUSE MAFIA CLEARLY WOULDN'T BE USING THIS MECHANIC."

Based on no evidence or rationale at all...

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The weirdest thing for me is that when i made the warban vote, I actually wasn't really thinking all mafia like. I probably would have made that vote as a villager.

I have this thing where I always play like i'm mafia, when i'm very rarely mafia. i always skirt inactivity and have very poor reasoning for voting for people.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche