As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I see large outdoor environments. I see jetpacks. I see hills.

Is it sacrilege to say I'd really like to see a grappling hook?

#ilikedtribesvengeance
    I thought the hook was a good addition, too. <3

815165 on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SightTDW wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Vengeance. Would have been damn good if it got any dev support whatsoever. I had so much fun with it in the beta version, but it was dead within the month come launch. Grappling hooks were no doubt the best idea to come out of it. Those stupid little missile shooting orb vehicles were no doubt the worst.

but grappling an enemy vehicle and jetting yourself around it to throw it off balance and crashing it into the ground was awesome

i too enjoyed the grappling hook.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Garthor wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Screenshots are worthless, this is a game you have to see in action.

Or not see due to it being obstructed by a Spinfusor the size of a small moon, as the case may be.

Well, I'm sure having an FOV of what looks to be about 65 isn't helping at all. Regardless, I bet they did it intentionally to show off the Spinfusor model.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also nobody has mentioned the motion blur yet. Motion blur seems like it is possibly the worst idea ever in a Tribes games. Once you start skiing the whole screen will just be a mush of colors.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm inclined to agree, though I think some blur once you pass a certain speed would be okay. Otherwise, its all cool, just let us turn if off if we don't like it.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nothing wrong with Vengeance. Would have been damn good if it got any dev support whatsoever. I had so much fun with it in the beta version, but it was dead within the month come launch. Grappling hooks were no doubt the best idea to come out of it. Those stupid little missile shooting orb vehicles were no doubt the worst.

Grappling hooks completely broke the hell out of CTF. Just completely. Flag caps were happening within seconds after a match start. It was ridiculous. They were a lot of fun in single player though, that's for sure.

And Vivendi Universal refused to support the game because it didn't sell very well. Because they released it around the same time as Doom 3 and Half Life 2. Yeah. Poor Tribes just can't catch a fucking break. Hopefully this time around it'll be a different story.

Drake on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I do remember how broken they were in CTF, mainly because I was damn good at flag runs. IIRC the bigger issue was weak deployable turrets, since I could just swing past any defenses.

Not something I'm hard set on, but the concept compliments the skiing very well, but they also tend to wreak havoc on physics. Their best bet here is probably to keep things as close to Tribes 1/2 as possible for the sake of strengthening the brand name again.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Really? I kind of liked them.

I though TV did a better job with vehicles as a useful tool, but maybe that was the problem.

T1 and T2 seem to have only had vehicles because retarded publishers insisted that you can't sell a FPS without vehicles. See: Quake: ET. As such the game was pretty much balanced around people only (particularly T2 Classic Mod), with vehicles as nearly useless disposable accessories to, at best, facilitate flag cappers. Or they existed just to cancel each other out, like the T2 Fighter vs the T2 Bomber.

(P.S. I completely ignore the existence of T2 base)

Suddenly injecting 4+ useful practical vehicles into Tribes was a totally alien experience for people.

I'd like to see a grappling hook in this game. It was pretty awesome in TV and made for some new/interesting map designs that were a good change of pace from shit like Scarabrea Redux maps.

Really I'd just like ANY Tribes game that

1) Doesn't run like shit on anything except Glide
    2) Doesn't run like shit on anything
    3) Doesn't have some draconian multiplayer protections

The Global Agenda people CLEARLY have a huge boner for Tribes. Global Agenda from the earliest beta was a love letter to the franchise that was just out of reach for them. So I have faith this game will be good.

Jasconius on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vehicles ruin Tribes for me, but oh well. I'm too old to have the reaction time to play a Tribes type game anyway.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vehicles ruin Tribes for me, but oh well. I'm too old to have the reaction time to play a Tribes type game anyway.

Tribes has never been about reaction times, except in the game-breakingly excessive upper echelons of gameplay (when it starts to make sense to carry around a laser rifle just for popping people in duels). The game is about inertia: you commit to your trajectory once you leave the ground and your only substantial ability to modify it is to hit the ground again, ideally somewhere that smoothly transfers your momentum to your desired direction.

Furthermore, all but 2 weapons are explosive projectile-based. As people can't fly forever, they're inevitably going to return to the ground, at which point you shoot them. Which means the goal of the game is to predict where that's gonna be and get a shot off at the right time.

Really, Tribes is the least twitchy FPS I can think of. It's a thinking-man's game.

Garthor on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can pretty much only go two ways with vehicles

Either make them crappy so that they will mostly be ignored (T1/T2 Classic)

OR

Make them super cool and powerful but they kind of distract from the personal style of combat that brought the franchise to fame (Tribes Vengeance)

What you *shouldn't* do is just drag the entire game to a screeching halt in order to force people to fly huge lumbering ass transports and jerichos to forward positions, thus justifying their existence (T2 Base).

I think I'd like to see TV type vehicles with a server option to turn them off.

Jasconius on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blood Eagle heavy art

227748_201278089914538_174337252608622_521083_7022305_n.jpg

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Looks suitably chunky and the eagle motif on the collar/helmet is nice. Still not really going to care until we get some gameplay footage.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    You can pretty much only go two ways with vehicles

Either make them crappy so that they will mostly be ignored (T1/T2 Classic)

I don't get how people get this impression of T1 vehicles. T1 Vehicles completely changed the tempo of a map. Having a scouts on your side (and an intact vehicle pad) would give you so many options for capping and chasing it wasn't even funny.

Granted it's not 'all vehicles erryday', but it was a very potent option. The T1 scout was probably in the perfect place for a vehicle for these sorts of games.

zerg rush on
    edited May 2011
    226384_203630859679261_174337252608622_535149_5633249_n.jpg

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    i really need to monitor this more, but when all they put out is a single piece of concept art every so often its hard to get super excited and obsessed with it

TheKoolEagle on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If anything, at least they concept art looks really good?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Garthor wrote: »

Tribes has never been about reaction times, except in the game-breakingly excessive upper echelons of gameplay (when it starts to make sense to carry around a laser rifle just for popping people in duels). The game is about inertia: you commit to your trajectory once you leave the ground and your only substantial ability to modify it is to hit the ground again, ideally somewhere that smoothly transfers your momentum to your desired direction.

Furthermore, all but 2 weapons are explosive projectile-based. As people can't fly forever, they're inevitably going to return to the ground, at which point you shoot them. Which means the goal of the game is to predict where that's gonna be and get a shot off at the right time.

Really, Tribes is the least twitchy FPS I can think of. It's a thinking-man's game.

Have you ever played flag defense(rhetorical, of course you have)? You need fucking atomic clock levels of accurate timing of your shots to stop an incoming capper traveling at some where near the speed of light. Miss that shot and sure as hell better be quick and accurate on the sniper shot or they'll be out of view distance and back to their base with your flag within seconds. That's the kind of shit I loved in Tribes, yes there is tons of strategy but it's all executed within seconds. You have to have very precise in timing and executing in order to pull off great flag runs or defenses, one small mistake in your ski run, or disc jump or disc mine jump and you might as well ctrl+k.

I didn't meant to suggest there is no strategy in Tribes or that it is a twitch shooter in the way Quake is but I think what you consider the 'game-breakingly excessive upper echelons of gameplay' is what I consider the great thing about Tribes.

What broke Tribes was that the community went up its own ass. Instead of being open to new players and helping them learns the ins and outs of techniques that let you push the game to its limits they just all retreated to passworded servers ran by clicks and jerked each other off (and they're still at it, check the tribalwar forums).

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited June 2011
    So it looks like Grav Cycles are two seaters now. Also, game play video next week!
    Tribes_Ascend_GravCycle_1920x1080.jpg

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Skab wrote: »
    So it looks like Grav Cycles are two seaters now. Also, game play video next week!

and medium armors can drive it, or could they do that before?

also - who the hell played medium?

TheKoolEagle on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I did. :cry:

It was useful for just generally being an annoying dick.

MechMantis on
    edited June 2011
    I'd switch to a Medium repair pack loadout if I needed to help beef up defense. Still light enough for some mobility but a bit tougher for a better presence in direct combat. Otherwise I was that dude in light armor dropping mines in your base at your resupply stations and spinfusing generators.

Drake on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    I'd switch to a Medium repair pack loadout if I needed to help beef up defense. Still light enough for some mobility but a bit tougher for a better presence in direct combat. Otherwise I was that dude in light armor dropping mines in your base at your resupply stations and spinfusing generators.

I HATED YOU. HATE HATE HATE WITH A PASSION. Can't blow up the mind without blowing up the station, can't get in the station without getting blown up, and then blowing up the station. YOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU caused much teen rage!

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Ok, so, holy shit. There was a Q&A with one of the head guys working on this posted earlier and I missed it.

http://www.fpsguru.com/game/272/features/47/Tribes-Ascend-Todd-Harris-QA.html

Some choice excerpts:
    FPSGuru: Considering how crowded the FPS genre is lately, it’s a risk working on one FPS title, much less two at the same time. What made you take that leap and decide to work on both Tribes: Ascend and Tribes: Universe at the same time?

Todd Harris: Well, at this point we are not working on both at the same time. We have a single Tribes team and all their development attention is on Tribes: Ascend. The core elements of Tribes include SPEED, skiing, jet-packing, in-air shoot-outs, and multiplayer team-play. We intend to nail those player movements and combat elements within a single game, Tribes: Ascend, before working on Universe.
    FPSGuru: With Tribes: Ascend being developed for both XBLA and PC, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Meaning, is it being developed as a PC title and ported to XBLA, or vice-versa?

Todd Harris: Tribes: Ascend is being developed as a PC title first and foremost. Any console release will be much later.
    FPSGuru: Another great feature about the Tribes series was the vast amount of equipment available to the player that greatly enhanced tactics and resulted in some creative gameplay. Can we expect that same level of options in Tribes: Ascend?

Todd Harris: Definitely. In Tribes: Ascend we start with many classic and recognizable equipment options. But we will be increasing the number and variety of weapons, equipment and deployables. Players will have an even greater number of options to choose from.
    FPSGuru: Team play was always an important feature in Tribes, more so than most other games out there which focused on individual stats and a more free-for-all Deathmatch system. In what ways can we expect this to be emphasized in Tribes: Ascend?

Todd Harris: T2 was ahead of its time in offering team oriented features, and we will be offering similar built-in team support within Tribes: Ascend. At the same time I do think individual stats are motivating and we will be working to also make those available to players.
    FPSGuru: Care to give us any clue as to what game/match modes you’re planning or considering including? Are we going to see some Rabbit-Chase matches in Tribes: Ascend?

Todd Harris: Tribes: Ascend does currently support the Rabbit-Chase game-mode. But most of our current play-testing is done using the Capture the Flag game mode. And the Tribes: Ascend version of CTF incorporates very player-driven base-defense mechanics, including the concept of working generators that must be defended and player deployables.

That...that sounds fantastic. Please don't fuck this up.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What we hear most consistently from players is how much they enjoy the ultra-fast pace of Tribes: Ascend as an alternative to the slower, cover-to-cover gameplay of other shooter franchises.
    I've needed a game developer to say this for a long time. Movement is the most underrated skill in modern FPS games and it makes me a sad panda.

815165 on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok, so, holy shit. There was a Q&A with one of the head guys working on this posted earlier and I missed it.

http://www.fpsguru.com/game/272/features/47/Tribes-Ascend-Todd-Harris-QA.html

Some choice excerpts:
    FPSGuru: Considering how crowded the FPS genre is lately, it’s a risk working on one FPS title, much less two at the same time. What made you take that leap and decide to work on both Tribes: Ascend and Tribes: Universe at the same time?

Todd Harris: Well, at this point we are not working on both at the same time. We have a single Tribes team and all their development attention is on Tribes: Ascend. The core elements of Tribes include SPEED, skiing, jet-packing, in-air shoot-outs, and multiplayer team-play. We intend to nail those player movements and combat elements within a single game, Tribes: Ascend, before working on Universe.
    FPSGuru: With Tribes: Ascend being developed for both XBLA and PC, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Meaning, is it being developed as a PC title and ported to XBLA, or vice-versa?

Todd Harris: Tribes: Ascend is being developed as a PC title first and foremost. Any console release will be much later.
    FPSGuru: Another great feature about the Tribes series was the vast amount of equipment available to the player that greatly enhanced tactics and resulted in some creative gameplay. Can we expect that same level of options in Tribes: Ascend?

Todd Harris: Definitely. In Tribes: Ascend we start with many classic and recognizable equipment options. But we will be increasing the number and variety of weapons, equipment and deployables. Players will have an even greater number of options to choose from.
    FPSGuru: Team play was always an important feature in Tribes, more so than most other games out there which focused on individual stats and a more free-for-all Deathmatch system. In what ways can we expect this to be emphasized in Tribes: Ascend?

Todd Harris: T2 was ahead of its time in offering team oriented features, and we will be offering similar built-in team support within Tribes: Ascend. At the same time I do think individual stats are motivating and we will be working to also make those available to players.
    FPSGuru: Care to give us any clue as to what game/match modes you’re planning or considering including? Are we going to see some Rabbit-Chase matches in Tribes: Ascend?

Todd Harris: Tribes: Ascend does currently support the Rabbit-Chase game-mode. But most of our current play-testing is done using the Capture the Flag game mode. And the Tribes: Ascend version of CTF incorporates very player-driven base-defense mechanics, including the concept of working generators that must be defended and player deployables.

That...that sounds fantastic. Please don't fuck this up.

I can feel my heart fluttering, this is too good to be true. I have sorely missed T2 since I was a kid. If they can pull this off and make it as good, if not better, than T1/2 I'll be over the moon.

Also, mad props for that avatar.

Anzekay on
    edited June 2011
    Apparently there's also going to be a 1:1 remake of Katabatic. :^:

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I loved base setup in the first one. If you aren't actively engaged in killing someone, and the turrent/wall/forcefield limit hasn't been reached, you should be throwing crap out. Otherwise throw up a rail turret, man it, and snipe.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Apparently there's also going to be a 1:1 remake of Katabatic. :^:

Oh man... taking a long flank behind the other teams base and parking a bike there, grab the flag then run the opposite way they expect only to hop on the bike and zoom outta there.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I couldn't sleep the other night, so I rolled out of bed and started searching around for more Tribes: Ascend information on the internet. I didn't find anything that hasn't already been posted here, but I did find this video from T2, and I watched the whole thing. It reminded me of just how much I fucking loved T2, and let me tell you, if Ascend is anything at all like this, I'll have something capable of keeping me occupied for a few years at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igjM6KOm8ZE

[edit] Damn, looks like somebody already posted this video back on like page 3. Oh well, it's still bad ass.

milk ducks on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want Scarbrae dangit. Loved that map but it was detested by all the ski-happy twitch gooses. That map and Base I could play all day.

Bigity on
    edited June 2011
    when they said they are bringing back a t2 map i said to myself must be katabatic.

although i was a fan of archipelago as well, also that video is the map i made my 900m headshot on the enemy flag carrier right as he was touching down to cap our flag, we returned it because of that shot.

TheKoolEagle on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Meh. Vehicles are for dicking around/pulling crazy stunts with. Real men ski...

right on to the nose of my shrike, splatter and drop the flag.

ftfy :P

HappylilElf on
    edited June 2011
    It's pretty easy to talk about making a new Tribes game and say something that would make me think that it's going to be a bad game, but that guy made it through the interview without doing that at all. Very impressive! Really looking forward to the gameplay footage.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Bigity wrote: »
    I want Scarbrae dangit. Loved that map but it was detested by all the ski-happy twitch gooses. That map and Base I could play all day.

Tribes is a twitch based game, unless you are roleplaying the base janitor and even then that requires quite a bit of twitch if you expect to actually fight someone.

Fizban140 on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh well, I'll still be looking forward to aerial assault 2 haha.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    edited June 2011
    Ski-happy twitch gooses?

Sounds like Tribes ain't your game, Bigity.

Drake on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Ski-happy twitch gooses?

Sounds like Tribes ain't your game, Bigity.

Yeah skiing is what defined tribes as a game, a long with its air based twitch gameplay.

Fizban140 on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I played midfield as a medium with an elf in a tribe that competed on a couple of ladders

I loved me some flag carriers

HappylilElf on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Medium was fucking rad for mobile defense or support roles, even more so in really large matches.

That extra mobility while still being able to take a hit or two and weild some stronger weapons, as well as still be able to fly shit, was very useful.

Anzekay on
This discussion has been closed.