As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    So how does arrow redirect work anyway? Is it just a passive ability?

I believe you block and it automatically redirects the arrows. It's not that worth it, though, as you don't fight too many archers and when you do, they're easily taken care of by a dodge and a strike (plus they pull out swords when you get near them).

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man, it doesn't shoot them back star wars style? Definitely not getting that.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    Jintor wrote: »
    So how does arrow redirect work anyway? Is it just a passive ability?

I believe you block and it automatically redirects the arrows. It's not that worth it, though, as you don't fight too many archers and when you do, they're easily taken care of by a dodge and a strike (plus they pull out swords when you get near them).

I wished the 1/2 version of the skill worked like the 2/2 version of the skill. I'd take it jusr so I could run around pretending Geralt was a Jedi-Knight.

Zafina on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Oh man, it doesn't shoot them back star wars style? Definitely not getting that.

It does, you just have to get both ranks.

Renzo on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    The console version will have to have a proper tutorial. You watch and see. No offence to the console crowd, but let's be honest here.

I don't believe there's any untruth in saying console gamers demand games be more accessible and easier than PC gamers

Look at how Deus Ex did on the console

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That is probably worth it for cool points then.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure about the 'console version will need to be toned down to succeed' argument. My evidence? Demon's Souls.

So true. That game hated every fibre of your being, and it was so good because of it. Add Ninja Gaiden and God Hand to that list as well. Console gamers aren't retarded. There is a considerable market for hard-as-fuck games on consoles.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The console version will have to have a proper tutorial. You watch and see. No offence to the console crowd, but let's be honest here.

I don't believe there's any untruth in saying console gamers demand games be more accessible and easier than PC gamers

On the whole, perhaps console gamers do demand games be more accessible and easier than PC gamers. There is wider appeal and a wider audience to those games.

This does not, however, invalidate anyone's opinion on The Witcher 2 as having, initially, bum-shittingly unintuative and difficult to grasp combat.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Tycho said he died 47 times in one section of the prologue (I'm going to hanker a guess that it was the monastery fight). That's all sorts of excessive, methinks.

It reminds me of sorta of like STALKER is in that regard. No big, full-screen tutorial screen, or the game pausing as it tells you what button to press while it unlocks each of your skills and abilities one by one for the first hour so, and then saying "ta-da! You're ready now!" No, here's your shit, there's a bunch of assholes, go fucking deal with it.

Gradual pacing? Fuck you, go choke noob. Eastern European games seem to revel in not giving a fuck about that sort of shit.

i died 9 or 10 times in the prologue, from the start to the end of the monastery. It was a harsh start, yeah, it doesn't make sense the beginning is that hard and later the game is easier.... but 47 times, a veteran gamer like him?

Mmm... maybe i am a better gamer than i thought. :P

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

On the whole, perhaps console gamers do demand games be more accessible and easier than PC gamers. There is wider appeal and a wider audience to those games.

This does not, however, invalidate anyone's opinion on The Witcher 2 as having, initially, bum-shittingly unintuative and difficult to grasp combat.

Which is a very one sided opinion, considering there are those who think it was just fine.

Now, either we're Supermen, or there's something not quite right with those of you who think (and have been conditioned to be) contrary. Pick one. I really doubt it's the former, what with so many pieces of evidence for the latter.

And it's not like any of you who really actually gave it more than a half-assed attempt after crying "Developer, help me!" haven't been able to figure the game out on your own.

Once you died a few times and the game told you "TRY HARDER!", you figured the shit out (at least partially hopefully) and were able to proceed, right?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

How did it do? How did it do on the PC? Complex, RPG-lite shooters like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex don't seem to have inspired entire following generations of games the way that, say, Half Life did.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What invalidates this opinion is all the people who've had no trouble.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »

Which is a very one sided opinion, considering there are those who think it was just fine.

Now, either we're Supermen, or there's something not quite right with those of you who think (and have been conditioned to be) contrary. Pick one. I really doubt it's the former, what with so many pieces of evidence for the latter.

And it's not like any of you who really actually gave it more than a half-assed attempt after crying "Developer, help me!" haven't been able to figure the game out on your own.

Once you died a few times and the game told you "TRY HARDER!", you figured the shit out (at least partially hopefully) and were able to proceed, right?

I'm not a console gamer though. I'm a gamer and I've been playing Console games and PC games for many many years. I haven't been "Conditioned" to think shit. Cut that out. It's arrgoant.

The Witcher 2 is a fantastic game. But the opening sequences are bullshit because it does very little to explain itself, while expecting you to overcome a challenge using mechanics it has not properly explained. Whether you like it or not, that is a poor way to open your game. Whether I like the combat now or not.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    But why does it need to explain the mechanics? I can't think of a single game where i've enjoyed such explanations and but I can think of plenty of times when i've enjoyed learning how to play myself.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's valid.

But I guess I didn't find the mechanics in Witcher 2 to be all that intuative.

Plus... it's hardly a small challenge they're asking you to overcome.

It's a pretty intense scene, which looking back I find rather awesome. But at the time, the scene was really mired by me getting set on fire at seemingly random points and stabbed in the face over and over and over.

It wasn't an enjoyable opening few minutes.

And I am one of the guys who found the Ballista fight fairly simple. I had cracked it by that point.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Whoa there. Arrogant much? Geez. You might wanna shop around: almost every review/general opinion of The Witcher 2 across the net mentions something about combat difficulty and the start of the game. That something is more often than not a gripe.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    But why does it need to explain the mechanics? I can't think of a single game where i've enjoyed such explanations and but I can think of plenty of times when i've enjoyed learning how to play myself.

I don't know. Things like group finishers only working on humans, or having to meditate to assign skills on hard difficulty, would be good to know.

Tutorials get old, but I can think of plenty of detailed manuals and in-game help screens that I've enjoyed reading to learn how the game works.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'm not a console gamer though. I'm a gamer and I've been playing Console games and PC games for many many years. I haven't been "Conditioned" to think shit. Cut that out. It's arrgoant.

The Witcher 2 is a fantastic game. But the opening sequences are bullshit because it does very little to explain itself, while expecting you to overcome a challenge using mechanics it has not properly explained. Whether you like it or not, that is a poor way to open your game. Whether I like the combat now or not.

Almost all of the console games are on the PC.

PC gamers have been conditioned too.

Everyone has been conditioned. Some snapped the fuck out though.

The comment wasn't a sniping attempt.

See, your argument is that the game needs to explain itself. My argument is that the game doesn't need to explain shit. That it is not a wrong way to open a game. The game opens with story, and a grand set piece, and the shit is ON. I PREFER that to some fucking tutorial and the game going into telling me how to attack with the left mouse button. Fuck THAT shit.

And what have we lost? Absolutely nothing. You died three times. I'm beside myself in agony and sadness because the player lost his sense of accomplishment and vigor. What a horrific trade off for forcing a learning curve.

I mean I just can't understand where you're coming from. When you break this shit down, it's just ridiculous how many people will blame everything but themselves when something isn't working out the way they thought it was supposed to.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Rogueknight-Rogueknight- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Because its about creating a system with rules.

You explain the rules to your player so he understands the basics of the system. Once you give someone a grounding in what the basic rules are (Quen = Shield, Aard = Force Push, Yrden = Trap etc..) then they can take the more advanced technique of experimenting to see how far you can push them and interesting ways of solving problems. The player puts on his Quen shield, stuns the first mook with a Yrden and throws the second from the battlements with Aard, or maybe they reknew their Quen again and again whilst hacking the enemy to bits. The options then become how you use the tools in a way that is awesome for you.

If you don't explain the rules, it becomes trial and error. The player realises Yrden is a trap on the third try, the first one trying to cast it like a fireball, the second one leaving an orange glow on the ground that they don't quite know what it does, the third time the enemy stumbles into it and staggers "AH, TRAP SPELL! Got it".

The risk is you destroy their enjoyment whilst they learn the rules from the ground up. It is easier for Witcher 1 players since many of the rules are the same. But coming straight into this game is brutal, and I completed Witcher 1.

And to be fair to Jek, i've gamed with the guy for over two years now and he is an intelligent guy, a very competent gamer, quick on the uptake with new games and reasonable about overcoming horribly hard difficulties - he is a Left 4 Dead Insane player. So if he had difficulties, I would say it is probably not just a one off thing.

Rogueknight- on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kayran
    Stupid fucking fight, chopped the dudes tentacles off now I have no idea what to do. I can't throw the rocks with Aard in any fashion. I can't go anywhere else, tried to get rocks bouncing off the protection stone but it doesn't work. I tried to Aard rock fragments, doesn't work. I tried to move all around the collapsed bridge but the game won't let you walk past it. What the fuck.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, some of you guys are REALLY bad at looking at your screen and identifying the environment/options, aren't you? I keep reading the same question again.

Fiz, just run up the damn bridge piece to your left god dammit.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kayran
    Stupid fucking fight, chopped the dudes tentacles off now I have no idea what to do. I can't throw the rocks with Aard in any fashion. I can't go anywhere else, tried to get rocks bouncing off the protection stone but it doesn't work. I tried to Aard rock fragments, doesn't work. I tried to move all around the collapsed bridge but the game won't let you walk past it. What the fuck.
    Walk up the collapsed statue/bridge, jump on his fucking head and ruin his shit.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    Man, some of you guys are REALLY bad at looking at your screen and identifying the environment/options, aren't you? I keep reading the same question again.

Game won't let me as far as I can tell. I tried that already, I tried to run around the bridge and everything. Nothing was interactive and there was an invisible wall blocking my path on the far side.

This is really a poorly designed fight, the tentacles keep getting bugged to where they won't go into the slam animation and just keep swiping. I mashed too many keys during a QTE, I think it might have worked? No idea, after that all he does is swipe.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Game won't let me as far as I can tell. I tried that already, I tried to run around the bridge and everything. Nothing was interactive and there was an invisible wall blocking my path on the far side.

This is really a poorly designed fight, the tentacles keep getting bugged to where they won't go into the slam animation and just keep swiping. I mashed too many keys during a QTE, I think it might have worked? No idea, after that all he does is swipe.
    The broken bridge creates a ramp on the left. Just run up that and you get a QTE to end the fight.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kayran
    Go to the left and up the stone/statue/bridge/thing while dodging the tentacles. It will stop throwing rocks when you get to the stone bridge. I got killed quite a few times before I discovered that.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And to be fair to Jek, i've gamed with the guy for over two years now and he is an intelligent guy, a very competent gamer, quick on the uptake with new games and reasonable about overcoming horribly hard difficulties - he is a Left 4 Dead Insane player. So if he had difficulties, I would say it is probably not just a one off thing.

D'aw.

A L4D reunion tour is long overdue.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wow this fight is bugged out, just ran straight at the Kayran and my guy started to die from lightning, got stuck on an invisible wall, turned around and another invisible wall stopped me. I am enjoying the game so far, I just really hope the rest of the game is a little more polished. This trial and error of what is interactive really isn't fun.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wow this fight is bugged out, just ran straight at the Kayran and my guy started to die from lightning, got stuck on an invisible wall, turned around and another invisible wall stopped me. I am enjoying the game so far, I just really hope the rest of the game is a little more polished. This trial and error of what is interactive really isn't fun.

There's nothing interactive. Run up the ramp, and it'll all take care of itself.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Seriously Fiz, what the HELL are you doing?

Invisible walls? Lightning? Tentacles???

It's like I don't even KNOW you anymore!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    What invalidates this opinion is all the people who've had no trouble.
    You realize that's not how opinions work, right?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Orogogus wrote: »

How did it do? How did it do on the PC? Complex, RPG-lite shooters like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex don't seem to have inspired entire following generations of games the way that, say, Half Life did.

IIRC, original Deus Ex was a critical darling that flopped across all platforms, like Beyond Good & Evil or Fallout.

Seems like the game developers fell into an old design trap. Spend two years building a game, playing it for hours a day every day, become elite, knowing every in and out and little intimate secret and detail of this beautiful and amazing universe they created with their own hands... and forget that normal people who didn't spend two years building the game will eventually be buying it. Same problem happens to mediocre DnD Game Masters for several weekly sessions in a row - it is an unwarned and unwritten rite of passage for them on the path to becoming awesome DnD Game Masters.

As for me and my house, we will use a trainer.

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's a pretty intense scene, which looking back I find rather awesome. But at the time, the scene was really mired by me getting set on fire at seemingly random points and stabbed in the face over and over and over.

It wasn't an enjoyable opening few minutes.
    This isn't a criticism of the combat though. It's a criticism of being overwhelmed by information in your first minute into the game.

I agree that starting with the dragon section is going to be frustrating for the new player, and either CDP shouldn't have allowed it (playing the prologue out of order is a bit funky), or they should've had a stage before reaching the hoardings where you have a simpler fight just to get people used to basic combat first. But this isn't really an argument for what you're using it for.

The combat is fine in every sense. Moreover, it's actually fairly deep in what it allows you to do within a given fight, which to me makes it awesome combat system.

What really confuses me is this criticism of the amount of information the tutorial gives you. Unless you're expecting the tutorial to tell you things - that I think are obvious - like "try to avoid getting hit, use roll or block if necessary", "attack when your opponent is open" and "don't stand in the middle of five men swinging swords at you", or a completely step-by-step playthrough of a fight, I can't see what more you want from it.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Seriously Fiz, what the HELL are you doing?

Invisible walls? Lightning? Tentacles???

It's like I don't even KNOW you anymore!

Trying to use the bridge on the right side, definitely not the right bridge. I beat that part finally, I tried the left pillar but got stuck on something and pummeled with stones the first time.

What really caught me up was the tentacle just flailing around, I thought I had to take that out first so I tried to make a rock hit him. Not sure what I did but he did fall to the ground.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So you got past it finally? Good!

Also,I think the tutorial should have focused more on Triss' boobs, but that's just me I guess.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So you got past it finally? Good!

Also,I think the tutorial should have focused more on Triss' boobs, but that's just me I guess.

Don't worry Klyka, there's a tutorial for that in the game. ;-)

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I got too fixated on the tentacle, I wanted to kill them all.

The tutorial was fine I think, the fights just needed to be a little easier (stress the importance of dodging and positional damage) and the in game manual needs more information.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I did the tutorial in order, so by the time I got to the dragon I breezed right through without a problem. The ballista courtyard broke my cherry, I died a good ten times down there before I got the hang of it. I'm right at the end of the prologue now and so far finding the combat very satisfying. I think playing Risen 2 last year prepped me a bit for this kind of careful, precise combat - though Witcher's is much more satisfying and varied.

AcidCat on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Act 1 end
    Jegus christ the Letho fight is such a buggy bunch of absolute bullshit. Hit me when I have Qen up without being staggered four times in a row? Go right ahead! Actually hit and damage me through a fully charged Qen? Be my guest!

A boring, frustrating, unoriginal, unfun mess of a goddamn boss battle.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Vic wrote: »
    Act 1 end
    Jegus christ the Letho fight is such a buggy bunch of absolute bullshit. Hit me when I have Qen up without being staggered four times in a row? Go right ahead! Actually hit and damage me through a fully charged Qen? Be my guest!

I'm sorry, what? 6:10.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vic wrote: »
    Act 1 end

Quen doesn't stagger very powerful enemies like Letho.
    Tip for the letho fight?
    Max out your vitality (stamina? whatever the stat is that lets you do spells and parry). Go in and parry his blows, giving you 2 hits (Make them count). Take your 2 hits and go right back to blocking. Once you lose all 4 bars, roll out and wait to recharge. Rinse and repeat. Doing that the fight will be over quickly.
    You don't need 4 bars to do it, I did with 2 my first go, but it makes the fight much quicker

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg