As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gay Rights] Scott Walker still trying to get fired.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    As a person who is tolerant of all but is also a straight white male, what can I do to fight that? The whole thing seemed very complicated. Especially with the Chamber of Commerce saying it supported it originally, but then once it became a diversity issue (even though the wording of the laws were the same?) they are now opposed as they support tolerance. At least that's what that article says. It seems there was the guise of the regulation being related to states rights rather than a tolerance issue originally.

Don't let the CoC fool you, they still just want to be able to fire anyone for any reason. They changed their tune when it became clear that it wouldn't be a popular position in Nashville or Memphis.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As a person who is tolerant of all but is also a straight white male, what can I do to fight that? The whole thing seemed very complicated. Especially with the Chamber of Commerce saying it supported it originally, but then once it became a diversity issue (even though the wording of the laws were the same?) they are now opposed as they support tolerance. At least that's what that article says. It seems there was the guise of the regulation being related to states rights rather than a tolerance issue originally.

yeah states rights...thats never been used as a cover for anything else before. States rights isn't even a fucking thing. Its just a different way of saying Freedom to be bigoted pieces of shit.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    DrukDruk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah states rights...thats never been used as a cover for anything else before. States rights isn't even a fucking thing. Its just a different way of saying Freedom to be bigoted pieces of shit.

Wow. "Federalism: Only for bigots". Very nice.

Druk on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Druk wrote: »

Well.....yes.

But only because it is!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Druk wrote: »

Are you really going to argue that "state's rights" is used as a justification for anything other than removing individual rights often enough to be worth mentioning?

Bama on
  • Options
    DrukDruk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would say state marijuana reforms are common enough to be worth mentioning.

Druk on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vermont going to single payer healthcare? Most people in the US don't think healthcare is a right.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    - Being told that its ok to punch a tranny if she didnt reveal her trans status early enough in a dating situation

ugh

I remember that thread

that was not a happy thread

That was a thread here?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You're a mother. Do you want people calling you a milf in casual conversation? All the time?

wait i've always found mothers react to this rather well

>.>

<.<

Just a caveat.
    Your wife does not count in this scenario.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    - Being told that its ok to punch a tranny if she didnt reveal her trans status early enough in a dating situation

ugh

I remember that thread

that was not a happy thread

That was a thread here?

IIRC, it was in a thread discussing if trans-women(i think I always get confused with trans-X if X is the end state or the start), should disclose to their partners that they used to be men.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It doesn't sound like something we want to turn this thread into.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    tinwhiskers: you always refer to the end state. So a trans woman would be someone who transitioned male to female.

smeej: I agree, we probably dont want to get into it here as it would probably massively derail the thread.

so here is an article:
    http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2011/05/oregon-two-gay-portland-men-beaten-for.html

Wtf Portland? really? ugh.

lizard eats flies on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8150010
    It's been nearly a year since Thomas Araguz died fighting a fire at a Wharton egg farm. He is survived by his widow Nikki and his two children. His ex-wife, Heather Delgato is suing to collect hundreds of thousands of dollars in death benefits for the children, alleging that under Texas law, Nikki's marriage to Thomas is void because she was born a man and Texas does not recognize same-sex marriage.

God fucking damnit, Texas.

Interestingly enough, here is the first article that talks about the fire. From the same newspage, though not sure if that makes it better or worse.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My girlfriend just sent me this: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110523/NEWS02/110523033/Haslam-reverses-Metro-s-anti-discrimination-law

This is in my state, but I'm somewhat confused. Did he just make it legal to discriminate against LBGT people?

No, its much worse than that. It made it illegal to make LGBT discrimination illegal. Basically town/cities not full of cousin fuckers, can no longer say 'you can't discriminate if you do contract work for us'.

It is working to erase what islands of tolerance exist in this state

In fact, it's more or less specifically targeting Nashville

Yep. And I can't give enough credit to the Metro-Nashville council members who supported equal rights and fought against this measure. Particularly Jaime Hollin, who unfortunately isn't seeking another term (he won by 542 to 539 after a special recall election in 2009).

The whole state government is full of inbred morons, led by an inbred moron, who are doing their best to turn Tennessee into the next Somalia. If they can strip away rights from a group of people, be they gays, teachers, muslims, women, whoever isn't a white, straight, protestant male, they will.

Invisible on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You witness an assault like that and do nothing to help? Not even call the cops? You're just as guilty. Fuck that shit so hard. I'm so sick of reading stories about people who don't give a fuck.

"Little Susie was on fire for nine minutes while twenty onlookers roasted marshmallows."

That ought to be some fucking jail time. Or a fine. Or SOMETHING.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You witness an assault like that and do nothing to help? Not even call the cops? You're just as guilty. Fuck that shit so hard. I'm so sick of reading stories about people who don't give a fuck.

"Little Susie was on fire for nine minutes while twenty onlookers roasted marshmallows."

Oh you mean like those two gay guys that were beaten senseless on a busy public street for being gay, while dozens of onlookers watched, not lifting a finger to help. Then the cops that came just shrugged and basically said, "Tough luck, just what happens when you are all gay with your gayness."

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Was this posted? I looked for a few pages, but couldn't find anything.

MN State Representative John Kriesel (R) bashes fellow Republicans for voting for a gay marriage-preventing amendment.
    “If this was five, six years ago, I probably would have voted yes,” he admitted — but “everything changed,” Kriesel said, after he was wounded in Iraq.

“It woke me up. It changed me,” he explained. “…Happiness is so hard to find for people. So they find it — they find someone that makes them happy — and we want to say you can be together, you can love that person, but you can’t marry them. That’s wrong. That’s wrong and I disagree with it.”

“This amendment doesn’t represent what I went to fight for,” Kriesel insisted, before holding up a photo of a gay soldier who was killed in Iraq.

“I don’t know about you guys, but I cannot look at this family, look at this picture, and say ‘You know what, corporal, you were good enough to fight for your country and give your life, but you were not good enough to marry the person you love.’ I can’t do that. I cannot do that and I won’t do that. If there was a ‘hell no’ button right here, I would press it. That would be the one I would press.”

The statehouse passed the marriage amendment by a vote of 70-62, with Kriesel being one of the only Republicans to vote against his party.

Sadly he'll probably get primaried out of office next time around.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

MN State Representative John Kriesel (R) bashes fellow Republicans for voting for a gay marriage-preventing amendment.
    “If this was five, six years ago, I probably would have voted yes,” he admitted — but “everything changed,” Kriesel said, after he was wounded in Iraq.

“It woke me up. It changed me,” he explained. “…Happiness is so hard to find for people. So they find it — they find someone that makes them happy — and we want to say you can be together, you can love that person, but you can’t marry them. That’s wrong. That’s wrong and I disagree with it.”

“This amendment doesn’t represent what I went to fight for,” Kriesel insisted, before holding up a photo of a gay soldier who was killed in Iraq.

“I don’t know about you guys, but I cannot look at this family, look at this picture, and say ‘You know what, corporal, you were good enough to fight for your country and give your life, but you were not good enough to marry the person you love.’ I can’t do that. I cannot do that and I won’t do that. If there was a ‘hell no’ button right here, I would press it. That would be the one I would press.”

The statehouse passed the marriage amendment by a vote of 70-62, with Kriesel being one of the only Republicans to vote against his party.

The Republican party is nothing if not firm in their resolution to weed out boat-rockers, rabble rousers, and individualists from their ranks.

The upside to this is it makes it very easy to pan them as a group. Because barring a few exceptions (Maine's senators and what not) if you can point at a republican and say "His views aren't completely terrible" then you can also count the days until his own party pulls the plug on his political career.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

The Republican party is nothing if not firm in their resolution to weed out boat-rockers, rabble rousers, and individualists from their ranks.

The upside to this is it makes it very easy to pan them as a group. Because barring a few exceptions (Maine's senators and what not) if you can point at a republican and say "His views aren't completely terrible" then you can also count the days until his own party pulls the plug on his political career.
    Maine's senators talk a good game, and that's about it. The Democrats should have gone for the throat on them long, long ago.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

Maine's senators talk a good game, and that's about it. The Democrats should have gone for the throat on them long, long ago.

And here I thought I was damning them with faint praise.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Snowe's up next year, but it's unlikely she'll survive the primary.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    She's acting like she'll manage to win it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's probably to make people think she will so they won't bother voting for her challenger(s).

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My girlfriend just sent me this: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110523/NEWS02/110523033/Haslam-reverses-Metro-s-anti-discrimination-law

This is in my state, but I'm somewhat confused. Did he just make it legal to discriminate against LBGT people?

No, its much worse than that. It made it illegal to make LGBT discrimination illegal. Basically town/cities not full of cousin fuckers, can no longer say 'you can't discriminate if you do contract work for us'.

How is that any different from the piece of shit that got struck down here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romer_v._Evans

?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd love to see Maine go Democrat in the senate. Hopefully Snowe will lose the primary to some un-electable fascist.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd love to see Maine go Democrat in the senate. Hopefully Snowe will lose the primary to some un-electable fascist.
    And then run as an independent, and insure that not only does the unelectable fascist lose, but that Maine's Republican Party is divided for years to come.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    She can't. Maine is one of the many states that disallows running for one nomination and then entering the general election under another party's banner, though I believe they do it not explicitly through a "sore loser" law, but having the registration deadlines for the primary and general elections on the same day. If Snowe wants to keep her seat, she gets one chance to decide what affiliation she'll take.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    She can't. Maine is one of the many states that disallows running for one nomination and then entering the general election under another party's banner, though I believe they do it not explicitly through a "sore loser" law, but having the registration deadlines for the primary and general elections on the same day. If Snowe wants to keep her seat, she gets one chance to decide what affiliation she'll take.

Maine is more sensible than Connecticut, this is a huge shock to me. Just huge.

/sarcasm

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011

Oh you mean like those two gay guys that were beaten senseless on a busy public street for being gay, while dozens of onlookers watched, not lifting a finger to help. Then the cops that came just shrugged and basically said, "Tough luck, just what happens when you are all gay with your gayness."
    Putting yourself in physical danger is generally a bad thing. You don't know which of the people in the crowd are bigots and which aren't. It can lead to a giant brawl or a giant curbstomp. I wouldn't never, ever fault someone for not putting themselves at risk. That's completely understandable in the majority of cases.

Having said that, if you don't call the cops and/or testify against the assailant(s), you are pretty much scum.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Putting yourself in physical danger is generally a bad thing. You don't know which of the people in the crowd are bigots and which aren't. It can lead to a giant brawl or a giant curbstomp. I wouldn't never, ever fault someone for not putting themselves at risk. That's completely understandable in the majority of cases.

Having said that, if you don't call the cops and/or testify against the assailant(s), you are pretty much scum.

I agree. Standing up for the victim is something you should do only if you're pretty sure you can diffuse the situation. Otherwise, just get away and call the cops as soon as you're at a safe distance.

Turkey on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cowardice. And apathy. In their purest forms. I can't fault somebody for not risking their skin, because as you said the situation could get ugly very fast...

But do you really think people in the crowd would actually step in and try to prevent me from ending the fight? There are no words to describe how fucking furious I would be if I were to witness that.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cowardice. And apathy. In their purest forms. I can't fault somebody for not risking their skin, because as you said the situation could get ugly very fast...

But do you really think people in the crowd would actually step in and try to prevent me from ending the fight? There are no words to describe how fucking furious I would be if I were to witness that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Garthor on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    And that's not a local store ban like they give to drunks and whatnot. That's every Wal Mart in the country.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals..."

Which is to say that it is an unfortunate aspect of human nature to stand by idly (for a variety of reasons) while another person is victimized, potentially putting yourself into harms way can either be a motivating force for others, or risk making yourself the target for what could essentially be a mob on the edge of something awful. And until you try, you can't know which is which. (or option C they ignore you too, of course)

I applaud anyone who makes a stand (physically or otherwise) for others because they believe it's the right thing to do, but I can't fault anyone for not being willing to risk their own safety for a stranger (unless it's their job, of course).

And of course, the likelihood of a mob mentality giving way to people acting in ways they might not have in a one on one situation is part of what can lead to some truly horrific atrocities (in pairs and up) versus that person solo, making it all the more dangerous to get involved.

I wholeheartedly endorse the action of calling the police first and foremost if at all feasible, or getting someone to do so if you can, even if you intend to help. There is a non-zero chance that your interference will lead to another victim requiring attention, but at least the men/women with law enforcement authority (and guns) should be on their way.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought Snowe was pretty good, for a Republican. (Ie, not a total asshole.) Is that why she's unlikely to be re-elected? :?

LadyM on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I couldn't be a hero and personally intervene. I am not physically intimidating in the least, not even able to look commanding. I'd be much too afraid to step in, though I would try to call the police.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The thing with intervening is you need to be able to actually end the situation if you intervene. Unless you are concealed carrying, there with a couple friends, a UFC fighter or walking you shutzhund trained German shepard, hopping in to 'even' the odds is a fight you will lose 99 times out of 100.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011

I mean that if one person goes from bystander to participant, it might spur others to do the same. I'm no expert on human behavior, but it's a possibility.

And yeah, if you're in the wrong area, it's definitely possible you could find yourself outnumbered. Especially if you're defending a transsexual. Call the cops, and hope the find ends quickly enough for you to maybe administer some first aid. It really depends on the situation.

And not to mention the possibility of weapons. Maybe in a 1on1, the asshole enjoys beating on defenseless transfolk. You don't know if he or she has a gun or knife should the situation turn against that person.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.