As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The power to forget (memory erasure)

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is a theme that I think most sci-fi kind of deals with kind of poorly. We always discuss the big important points and for some reason come to the conclusion that it's better to remember. Boston Legal - weirdly - decided it would be better to remember a sexual assault then forget it ever happened.

But let's look outside major crimes - any adolescent who's seriously used the internet has an enormous list of things they'd like to forget ever seeing. Of course, forget is bad - a lingering feeling of unease would be a good substitute while avoiding any specific memories.

On top of that, consider social issues - unkind things have been said to me, I've said some atrociously unkind things in my time. And what bothers me most is, by and large, I'd just like to forget they ever happened since it's impossible to atone for them, by and large.

So here's what I'm wondering: what would be the effect of practical memory erasure technology? I can envisage 3 basic scenarios:

1. near-term long-term memory erasure. A customized binding chemical to activated neurons is introduced to your blood stream, and you focus hard on a memory. Then a targeted antibody is introduced which binds to the chemical and inhibits the targeted neurons in a quasi-selective way. In this manner you can eliminate hobbies, people etc. but with some degree of success and a fair degree of risk. It's probably the type of thing you go to Cuba to get done.

2. Easy short term memory erasure. You drink a cocktail of highly engineered nanoparticles and they nuke anything you've seen in the last 15 minutes to 2 hours, dependent on a few factors.

3. Easy anything memory erasure - you go to a clinic, tell them what you want erased and it's gone - or dulled depending on preference.

So D&D, what do you think would be the impact of the various types of memory erasure technology on society, and it's potential moral implications? Would you use it, and what for, and well, since you wouldn't remember what for, how would you use it?

electricitylikesme on

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We are the sum of our past experiences. To remove anything could have drastic consequences on our personalities.

Though there are things in my past that are unpleasant and painful to remember, they are still an important part of the equation that is I.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    2 is already quite possible, there are a number of drugs which cause short term memory erasure. Most are illegal for purposes other than surgical anaesthesia for obvious reasons.

The practice of chemically surpressing memory formation is common during surgery though, especially in concious sedation procedures.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    2 is already quite possible, there are a number of drugs which cause short term memory erasure. Most are illegal for purposes other than surgical anaesthesia for obvious reasons.

The practice of chemically surpressing memory formation is common during surgery though, especially in concious sedation procedures.

I don't think any of those work retroactively though, which seems to be what ELM is describing. I'm pretty sure there isn't a morning after ruphie yet.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, you can today dig into the brain and mess around or just give someone severe head trauma if you want to erase part of their memories.

It's just a pretty non-discriminate method.

And more OT:

I honestly wouldn't trust other human beings with my memories so the last option of selectively deleting memories wouldn't be for me as it'd probably involve them being able to view them in some way and thus be able to save them or use them for nefarious purposes.
    Now that I think about it there would be a lot of shady shit going on with this kinda stuff.

While a bankrobber probably wouldn't be able to benefit that greatly from this (using it to erase any knowledge of the actual robbery and thus pass a lie detector test/interrogation or whatever as any erased memory would leave a gap or a brain-filled memory that'd quickly lead the authorities to the conclusion that they've tampered with their memories) I could see this being used by someone who just want to sell her body without actually "experiencing it" or doing a similar thing that they might not want to remember in the future.

Or someone could just kidnap you in the middle of the night, torture you and get whatever information they need from you (bank details, national information if you're someone important etc) and then just inject you with this stuff and drop you off at home in your bed for you to wake up the following morning with no recollections of what has happened.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Memory loss would be great to forget you've played a game, and you could just replay it over and over and constantly get the same amount of enjoyment from it.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Memory loss would be great to forget you've played a game, and you could just replay it over and over and constantly get the same amount of enjoyment from it.

so you could waste even more time playing a game!

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    An infinite amount of time, really

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Eternal Sunshine covered the consequences of this pretty well. Most memories you have were experienced by other people in your life, so you'd have to ensure they didn't reference the event. You'd also be left open to making the same decision or mistake you'd had wiped again, since you wouldn't know you made it in the first place. It would have incredibly complex ramifications in the legal world too, someone commits a crime, runs down to the local wipe-n-go, and when they go through a polygraph they pass it with flying colors. They could blank everything pertaining to the crime, from the moment they conceived of it. Imagine a trial where the person who committed a crime legitimately had no memory of planning it or executing it, nor why they don't have memory of it since that's been wiped too.

In short, nothing good could come from selective memory erasure.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think it'd be awesome to be able ot erase memories of movies in order to watch them again.

I also can't imagine a way in which you could safely do so without risks that would make the idea of tampering with your brain so you could watch a great movie for the first time again even remotely worth it.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    OtarOtar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think we as a race already seem to move on from our mistakes too quickly and forget about them, I don't see how technology facilitating this process could be a positive thing. This strikes me as a thing that may have a very small amount of legitimate applications like helping a soldier or rape victim with crippling PTSD live a semi-normal life and an unending amount of bad applications.

Bad memories are a large portion of how we grow and develop as people, you cheat on a partner that means a lot too you or you treat a friend badly and they stop talking to you, you learn to be a bit less of a dick. OR since those people aren't in contact with you anymore at all you just go down to neighbourhood memory wiping station and forget them along with the pain and any lesson you may have learned.

Otar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd prefer a loss of pain to the loss of memory, but the two are too closely entwined.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think it'd be awesome to be able ot erase memories of movies in order to watch them again.

I also can't imagine a way in which you could safely do so without risks that would make the idea of tampering with your brain so you could watch a great movie for the first time again even remotely worth it.

I imagine immortals must do this in order to avoid too bloated minds or growing in complexity until they're not longer themselves.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There are people from my past I'd love to forget. There are things I've done I want to forget.

Unfortunately, these things define me. I cannot logically arrive at the person I am currently if these things didn't happen.

I put this sort of thing on the same level as time travel. It just doesn't feel like the sort of thing the human condition is meant to interact with.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Also, based on my very, verrrrry limited knowledge of neurons and how they work (like, one chapter from a General Psychology class limited), it is likely impossible to predict or mitigate the full impact that anything like 1 or 3 up there. Neurons form memories by referencing each other, less like sectors on a harddrive and more like instructions on a processor.

Trying to eliminate all memories of your last girlfriend could have far-reaching implications. Did she break up with you at a restaurant? Well, now you don't remember what your favorite meal your mom used to cook for you on your birthday as a kid is, because it happened to have the same entree as what you had the night she dumped you.

Now, what could be an effectively tool is something akin to artificial synapse pruning. By destroying the synaptic connections that keep the memory of her screwing your best friend so strong in your mind, you could effectively bury the memory without it, or any related memories, going away. Things would remind you of it less often, and you'd probably end up having to try to remember things like her name, or the restaurant she dumped you at, even when you're sitting in that restaurant.

Outright destroying memories, though, I'm not sure would be a good idea.

Tox on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How did Demolition Man's mind control work again? Sylvester Stallone knew how to knit a sweater but he was supposed to be less aggressive, too, right?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    How did Demolition Man's mind control work again? Sylvester Stallone knew how to knit a sweater but he was supposed to be less aggressive, too, right?

I believe the technology used was "blah blah cryogenics something something rehabilitate words words knitting"

Tox on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would use it to wipe spoilers before I get to that part.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    redx wrote: »

I don't think any of those work retroactively though, which seems to be what ELM is describing. I'm pretty sure there isn't a morning after ruphie yet.

Part of the danger of memory-inhibiting drugs like Rohypnol or Versed is that they block the brain's ability to commit short-term memory to long-term memory, so there is a short retrograde effect. they can make it hard to remember anything roughly ~30 minutes prior to the action of the drug. Given that the usual time being ingesting a drug orally and it getting to your brain is around 20 minutes, this means that you might not remember the immediate circumstances in which the drug was ingested (such as who gave it to you).

I don't mean this to be scary, date rape with Rohypnol is actually extremely rare (if it still happens at all) because memory-blocking drugs are rarely prescribed on an outpatient basis for exactly that reason.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I feel like the only memories I have are bad memories. Don't get me wrong, my life hasn't been super shitty; it's just that I remember the things I regret with great frequency. I probably think of something in my life that I regret everyday. I wish I could forget those things, but if I did whose to say I wouldn't just make the same mistakes again?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I feel like the only memories I have are bad memories. Don't get me wrong, my life hasn't been super shitty; it's just that I remember the things I regret with great frequency. I probably think of something in my life that I regret everyday. I wish I could forget those things, but if I did whose to say I wouldn't just make the same mistakes again?

"What can change the nature of a man?"
    It's regret

Even if it's from a video game, I always felt that that passage was really solid and it's something that I've held as true. I know what you mean because I'll be sitting alone just thinking and sometimes my memory just goes back to moments that make me cringe or that I'd rather forget.

But as much as I'd like to forgot them, as others here have said, its those moments that have really shaped me moving on. They make you a better person in that you learn maybe a right from a wrong or what NOT to do in a future situation.

Tampering with memory just opens a lot of doors with very few of them having positive affects.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

I believe the technology used was "blah blah cryogenics something something rehabilitate words words knitting"
    It was similar to how they learned stuff in the Matrix. Along with behavioral controls.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If people are going to use it for every little negative thing they did/happened to them I can see this as a bad thing.

But what about those events that seriously screws people over for the rest of their lives? E.g. Abused as a child/Violent rape - Forgetting something like this might be a net positive for that individual since it's a random event outside their control.

I see this as more used as a therapeutic tool.

Edit: And since I'm reading the Dr Who thread as well, that memory alien from Torchwood with the ability to remove/re-write memories. If that's the progression past just removing memories, at what point is that considered murder? I mean after you remove a certain % of someones memory or replace it, that individual no longer exists? Murder/Not murder/Something new?

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That is something I've thought about as well in another hypothetical.
    Is it wrong to completely change the psychological makeup and memories of a criminal if that's the only way to stop them from committing a crime?
    They are not killed as they are still alive and won't have to be imprisoned or punished in any way as they'll be a new person.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    Is it wrong to completely change the psychological makeup and memories of a criminal if that's the only way to stop them from committing a crime?
    They are not killed as they are still alive and won't have to be imprisoned or punished in any way as they'll be a new person.

Before or after they've committed their first crime?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seems to me like it would be a great way to get rid of addictions. Sure I'll get rid of that nasty crack habit for you, *BAM* now you don't know what crack is!

Equally if it could be argued that we are the sum of our experiences it could also be used as a (somewhat) more humane method of dealing with murders and mentally ill people who can't be reintegrated into society.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Casual wrote: »
    Seems to me like it would be a great way to get rid of addictions. Sure I'll get rid of that nasty crack habit for you, *BAM* now you don't know what crack is!

Equally if it could be argued that we are the sum of our experiences it could also be used as a (somewhat) more humane method of dealing with murders and mentally ill people who can't be reintegrated into society.

Wouldn't really work for drug addictions since that is a physical ailment due to a chemical imbalance produced within one's brain due to the drugs.

Otar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    doctor-who-spoilers-silence-431x300.jpg

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I feel like I've been staring at the quote button for like an hour, and I can't remember why.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011

Seems roughly equivalent to taking a psychotic and doping him up to the point where he's in a drugged stupor for the rest of his life. You're basically ending the original person and introducing a new one, with the added bonus that the new one can actually participate in society.

So if drugging someone into semi-consciousness forever is kosher, seems this would be, too. Though this seems pretty sci-fi even by the OP's standards.

As to the general idea of selective memory loss, this seems like a technology that would be abused far more often than it was used for good, depending on how easy it was. At the far end, this seems the sort of thing the mob would get into. Instead of offing a witness, just erase his memory of the event. No fuss, no muss, no body.

As a practical matter, I wonder, though, what the connection is between memories and personality. Is the latter a product of the former, or is it the former? Say, for example, that my mom is killed in a fire and I thus have a driving need to be a fireman. If you erased the memory of my mom, would I still have the same need? Or is the need and the memory effectively the same thing?

If they're not the same, then you could remove formative memories without removing, in any meaningful sense, who you are. But I suspect they are basically the same. That you are not formed by your memories, you are your memories, in the same way that a colony of ants is the ants themselves. Remove the ants, and the colony is gone.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Otar wrote: »

Wouldn't really work for drug addictions since that is a physical ailment due to a chemical imbalance produced within one's brain due to the drugs.

You would still get sick, but it would work because you wouldn't know that crack would make you feel good again, and thus wouldn't try to get it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

You would still get sick, but it would work because you wouldn't know that crack would make you feel good again, and thus wouldn't try to get it.

Except for the severe alcoholic who gets the DTs and dies. Or the heroine addict that starts to freak out, goes to the ER and they tell him it appears as though he's going through heroine withdrawal and upon learning this takes it upon himself to score some heroine instead of spending another day throwing up blood.

Otar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Except for the severe alcoholic who gets the DTs and dies. Or the heroine addict that starts to freak out, goes to the ER and they tell him it appears as though he's going through heroine withdrawal and upon learning this takes it upon himself to score some heroine instead of spending another day throwing up blood.

I'm pretty sure that vomiting blood is not a typical withdrawal symptom. You're right though, if it could fail in extreme cases, then it wouldn't work at all.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'm pretty sure that vomiting blood is not a typical withdrawal symptom. You're right though, if it could fail in extreme cases, then it wouldn't work at all.

It may not be typical but having known someone who experienced that when getting off heroine it is a possibility. That combined with the fact that it would have to erase basically this person's entire social circle from their memory so they do not come into contact with someone who can get them drugs, and most of their memories of having a drug addiction which may be any where from six months to years, and keeping them away from anything that could remind them of their drug addiction you'd basically be working with an infant by the time all the necessary memories were purged.

Edit: I'm not even sure if there are cases of non-extreme drug addictions besides guys that spend all their time smoking weed...

Otar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2011

It may not be typical but having known someone who experienced that when getting off heroine it is a possibility. That combined with the fact that it would have to erase basically this person's entire social circle from their memory so they do not come into contact with someone who can get them drugs, and most of their memories of having a drug addiction which may be any where from six months to years, and keeping them away from anything that could remind them of their drug addiction you'd basically be working with an infant by the time all the necessary memories were purged.

Edit: I'm not even sure if there are cases of non-extreme drug addictions besides guys that spend all their time smoking weed...

That's a good point, regarding the possibility that erasure of their whole life may be required. Rehab teaches you to learn from your mistakes, and is probably the best first choice for recovery. Erasure of those mistakes, and the desire itself, would probably be best reserved for a last ditch effort.

(I don't mean extreme addictions, I mean extremely pronounced withdrawal symptoms, to the point of being life threatening, like those you describe.)

This also raises another question for me. Eternal Sunshine presents memory erasure as a solution, with extremely limited/temporary success. However, that movie also exists in a world where the procedure is not common knowledge. It seems that not knowing the procedure took place is a key factor in long term success. In this world, people do not suspect that they'd been wiped when presented with artifacts from their missing past that no longer make sense. They don't know about memory wipes, so they don't think "was my memory wiped? I wonder what it was..."

I think that if everyone knew about the existence of the procedure, they would probably relapse much faster (like the woman calling for an appointment who had been wiped several times). Thus, real-world implementation of this technology to resolve the sort of serious issues covered in the movie (ie: those beyond 'I want to play that game again'), would be ultimately self-defeating.

[Edit] Regarding infinite replayability. Perhaps rather than deleting the memory with a dangerous procedure, employ a drug that temporarily inhibits the creation of memory before you play it. The downside here would be that if the game sucked, you wouldn't be able to remember, and would subject yourself to the misery over and over until someone told you how much you hated it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Perhaps it could be used as part of a treatment program. Delete the desire and the knowledge of the drugs. Then keep the person in a clinic to treat the physical addiction.

As for the social circle, well they would have to re-learn the desire for drugs. So maybe if they're told they had a problem they would steer clear and not be tempted. Of course it depends how accurate we can be at deleting memories. If we can keep some things like horrible experiences while getting rid of the stuff that makes them an addict then win.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sorry for the double post. Damn these server too busy messages.

Casual on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What happens when someone gets or has a memory erased, and other people keep saying things like, "No, really dude, you totally did X."

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Feral wrote: »

Before or after they've committed their first crime?

After they've committed their first crime, rehabilitation has failed and they've committed a second crime.

Shanadeus on