As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Salty [Phalla]: Curse of the Crusty Pearls - VILLAGE VICTORY

1373839404143»

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is the most fun Phalla I've been in yet. So, some thoughts:

1) I'm apparently clueless at Phallas. I guessed wrong almost every time. I KNEW that Gandalf used the Monkey's Paw last, but suspected Wildwood as being the SK over him. I also knew that Gandalf was killing folks. Such a "duh" moment.

I also trusted Vert on very limited grounds, although I feel that was more of a case of a risk taken gone bad.

2) My post about the tumor is true. My last joint on my left index finger is swollen to twice it's size. The doctors think it's a "Giant Cell Tumor', which is benign. So, I'm not in any real danger, although if it comes back I may have to have that joint amputated. By far not the worst thing it could have been.

3) I love being able to look back and see that on all but one night, I had my power activate. I tried to start up a network, but I don't think I've had enough Phalla practice to be ideal for it.

4) If I never have to type like a bad hollywood pirate again, it'll be too soon. Far too soon. God, I hated typing like that by the end. It was a blast at first though.

5) Huge props to Infidel and Dr. Kippy. The 3 post a day in pirate talk DEFINATELY kept me more involved in the game and got me to stop being such a shy poster.

If you guys don't mind, I would love to have feedback on how you think I did. I want to get better at this, after all.

Heffling on
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Definitely a big thanks to Infidel and DrKippy. Although this is probably only my 4th or so game, it was the one I've had the most fun partaking in. Close second was the L5R main from last year, even though I had an early exit.

Note to self for future games: Lay off the stupid.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Great game. Thanks for running it. Had a lot of fun getting band-wagoned only to have it be the first step that lead to the mafia going down in a flaming ball of fire.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ahhhhhhh. . . taste the double victory.

Well, no slouching on deck men, get to work! Captain Teucrian is at the wheel!

Serious thoughts in a bit.

Teucrian on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Heh, reading through some of the boards is a bit amazing. A lot of really stupid behavior on both the side of the village and the mafia. Trusting a mafia on the basis of a day 1 throwaway vote is extra bad.

I was just a random ass vanillager and the only one I talked to was Keika just to discuss the money split that one day. I'm glad we had the mafia blow it by trying too hard to save their guys from the vote and the MONKEY ON THE LAM serial killer do quite a bit of the dirty work for us.

Savant on
  • Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    1. Did anybody actually destroy the last ship in that damn flash game? It looks like a lot of us ran out of steam right there.

2. The game was definitely lost on the back to back loser and vertroue votes. I think the village did an outstanding job on the Vertroue vote in particular, with the mafia apparently not figuring out that we created the competing Keika wagon on purpose.

3. It sucked for me that Roman died before he could confirm me, because I spent the whole game outside the network looking in. As it is, the only networking I did was occasionally PMs with Alegis

4. This game was very fun. Thank you very much Infidel and Dr. Kippy

Teucrian on
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I killed that bastard took me two tries and i had like 50 health left at the end and it took me forever. Pretty proud of myself for getting the best score.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I too defeated the final ship in the Cutlass Reef game, on my second try. Once I knew what was going on, it wasn't too difficult, but it was annoying. Also annoying was the fact that I figured out what I should have been doing to obtain better scores about 2/3rds the way through the game, but couldn't bother with redoing things due to the time commitment. Oh well.

Nicely done game Infidel, DrKippy. Looks like despite all the missteps the village took, the mafia made even more to allow for a rather cozy village win. Didn't hurt to have a bit of luck with Gandalf's kill direction, either!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I feel bad not being able to give this phalla my full attention. The theme was great, everyone was into it, and I had the "crusty chum" role which, as a writer, is right up my alley. It also put some pressure on me to be funny. Not Infidel's fault - that kind of role is a double-edged sword, but I absolutely LOVE meta/thread participation roles. I think they are tops. I just wish I had had the time and energy to put my all into it and I feel really bad that I couldn't.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I wish I'd been village-aligned with that kind of aim.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks, Infidel and DrKippy. I had a great time, and am learning a lot.

wildwood on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Trust is grudged for mafia-killing me Day 1.

That is all.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I only had an hour to try out the cutlass reef game, and chose to do so on the hardest difficulty hoping I would get a better score :rotate:

I got to the second last mission which was essentially impossible for my ship. The enemy ships just could fire cannonballs for half of their patrol across the side of the map. On the later levels I spent more time getting the ships to destroy each other with their ridiculous cannonfire than attacking myself :)

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I tried the game first on the second-hardest difficulty, did okay, tried it on hardest, did about the same, then completed it on the lowest difficulty and used that score. The final ship on the easier level was...pretty easy, actually.

El Skid on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blech, don't feel like I was playing the full game this time.

Oh well, it was still a great time and got me on a pirate kick, damn you all!

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Busted laptop meant I was out of the running for the captain's cap.

Though I'm happy to have survived- and on the winning side, no less!

I half-expected to end up dead the last few days- but I was right about grundlterror. I can at least take pride in that.

But why the hell wasn't I killed off? Usually the guy with the unconfirmed accusations is prime vig-bait...

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Busted laptop meant I was out of the running for the captain's cap.

Though I'm happy to have survived- and on the winning side, no less!

I half-expected to end up dead the last few days- but I was right about grundlterror. I can at least take pride in that.

But why the hell wasn't I killed off? Usually the guy with the unconfirmed accusations is prime vig-bait...

I'm pretty sure after you became more vocal , it was decided by the powers that be that you weren't up to your usual borderline inactive mafia self. 8-)

Egos on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Once I figured out that you always need more pirates for that game I did fine. The fact that running out of them kills you and running low on them increases your reload time meant that I upgraded them all the time forever. I never got the accuracy bonus though, so my score wasn't the greatest.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I tried killing you at least twice, but wildwood out swaggered me.

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

If it's any consolation, you and Grundl were the prime targets for the next day... :)

But yeah, what Egos said - people thought you were playing more to your village type.

wildwood on
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That is a SWEET av, Egos!

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Almost entirely because I know this is how you act as a villager.

One of these days you'll do that while mafia and I'll never be able to use it to save you again :P

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    ExtermatottExtermatott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I lost? Damn, I am such an unlucky mafia player... : l

Extermatott on
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    stever777 wrote: »
    Well, except for the Simonwolf disaster, this was fun.

BTW, I meant the disaster conversation I created with Simon, not his game-in-a-game.

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1