As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Interest] Strands of Fate + Homebrew Fantasy

2»

• Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Of course! Why didn't I think of that? I'll get the character sheet posted after I get some sleep.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Did I say sleep? I must have meant sick, because I am very.
    Drascal Amrista Des Le'mu'ra

Character Aspects
    - Cycle of Violence
    - Burned, Beaten, and Scarred
    - Bitter Refugee
    - Hard-Hearted
    - Savior of Orphans

Abilities (26 pts)

Physical

- Agility 4 (Elfish Grace)
    - Endurance 4 (Hard Living on an Empty Belly)
    - Perception 1 (One-Eyed Warrior)
    - Strength 2

Mental
    - Craft 1
    - Knowledge 2
    - Reasoning 2
    - Willpower 4 (Never Give in, Never Surrender)

Social
    - Deception 2 (Human-Wise)
    - Empathy 2
    - Persuasion 1
    - Resources 1 (Grand History of Le'mu'ra)

Stress Tracks

- Physical 6
    - Mental 8
    - Social 2

Starting Gear

- Machete
    - Tower Shield (Grand History of Le'mu'ra)
    - Warm Cloak
    - Bag of Worldly Possessions (A knife, a pare of spare cloths, and two days worth of non-perishable food)

Advantages (12 pts)
    - Night Vision
    - Deadly Grace
    - Scary
    - Scavanger
    - Sense Deception
    - Iron Will
    - Last Stand
    - Tireless

The Grand History of Le'mu'ra is a black tower shield with an extremely ornate silver design that intertwines words with pictures to form a seamless whole. It started out as a substantially less ostentatious spoil of some long past conflict with a group of humans that became a combination of a family history and art project. It has been constantly modified over the years as more people have been born and preformed different deeds worthy of recording. Drascal loathes to use it for several reasons, the leading of which is that he does not have the skill needed to repair any damage done to it and the fact that if he didn't usually keep it wrapped in his cloak and covered in mud he probably would have ended up dead in a ditch long ago for caring around something that valuable.

Needless to say, Drascal has done terrible, terrible things in his life as a refugee to keep this piece of family history safe.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lynx

i think that Jotunn and Drascal should have crossed paths at some point

they seem as though they would have

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Yes, I could definitely see that. Anything you have in mind? Hired by the same guy? hired by two guys on opposite sides? Freelance work gone awry?

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I never did post my character, did I?

I'm the worst :(

Okay, so I decided I don't want to do "Already epic just like the rest". I want a character who is just as capable as the others, but isn't really well known (partly on purpose, because you know...thief).

Stats ahoy!:
    Character:

He'll be known to most as "Jack" or maybe "Clever Jack" if you've been around the city quite a bit.

Agility 4
    Endurance 2
    Perception 3
    Strength 2

Phys stress: 4

Craft 1
    Knowledge 1
    Reasoning 2
    Willpower 1

Mental Stress: 3

Deception 4
    Empathy 2
    Persuasion 3
    Resources 1

Social stress: 4

Aspects:

Street urchin turned master thief
    Stole a priceless artifact from Prince Pietr
    I can fend for myself!
    Empathize with the poor
    "What does this button do?"

(Agi) I can steal anything- If it's bolted down it'll take a few seconds longer.
    (Perc) Sharp Eyes
    (Wil) Sucker for a pretty face
    (Res) Money's just a way of keeping score
    (Pers/Dec) Puppy dog eyes

Advantages (12):

(1)Deadly Grace (Substitute dex for Str when fighting unarmed or with a melee weapon)
    (1)Monkey Man (+2 on rolls to climb)
    (1)Sticky Fingers (+2 to pick pockets or filch unattended items)
    (1)Fast Talker (Whether the truth or a lie, you gain a +2 on any roll to convince another person to believe what you say)
    (1)Hide in Plain Sight (+2 on rolls to hide while staying still)
    (1)Grappler – You may substitute Agility for Strength when attempting to push, pull, throw, restrain, pin or trip another. (See Chapter 7 for more on these actions)
    (2)Constant Vigilance (You are always on the lookout for trouble so you get a +1 to any initiative roll. In addition, if you are ambushed, you may spend a Fate Point to defend yourself normally.)
    (2)Five Minute Friend (For a Fate Point, you can make a steadfast friend in a place you’ve never been, given a chance for five minutes of conversation. This Advantage makes nearly impossible opportunities to make friends merely improbable, improbable opportunities probable and probable opportunities outright certain. If you later choose to take your new friend as a Persuasion)
    (2)I’ve Got Just the Thing (You have a tendency to carry a number of gadgets and tools with you,some mundane, some a bit more specialized. With the expenditure of a Fate Point, you can declare that you have just the tool for any particular job. And not just any tool, but a quality tool well suited for the task at hand. The tool grants a +2 bonus on rolls when using it, regardless of its exact type.)

Equipment:

- 2 knives
    - thieves tools
    - bunch of random stuff (see "I've got just the thing")

El Skid on
    edited May 2011
    Yes, I could definitely see that. Anything you have in mind? Hired by the same guy? hired by two guys on opposite sides? Freelance work gone awry?

Jotunn (not sure if that's the name i want for him yet) has worked as a mercenary for several Rebel Princes here and there; fought hard battles against impossible odds (often against those who wanted to wipe out the 'unwashed barbarian' typpes) and has on occasion been one of the last few standing at the end of such occasions

These might be things the two of them have in common. We could develop an event for them.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2011
    El Skid wrote: »
    Okay, so I decided I don't want to do "Already epic just like the rest". I want a character who is just as capable as the others, but isn't really well known

oh so things that come up in conversation with jack will be things like:

"how do you know who i am?"

"wait... why did you know where the secret door to the patrician's garrison was?"

"are you sure we haven't met?"

"did you just say you were in Majhazar when Emir Fazir was assassinated? So was I... can't say I remember seeing you there."

That sort of thing?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2011
    also salt:

when do you want a character bio

it will likely be... extensive

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    Okay, so I decided I don't want to do "Already epic just like the rest". I want a character who is just as capable as the others, but isn't really well known

oh so things that come up in conversation with jack will be things like:

"how do you know who i am?"

"wait... why did you know where the secret door to the patrician's garrison was?"

"are you sure we haven't met?"

"did you just say you were in Majhazar when Emir Fazir was assassinated? So was I... can't say I remember seeing you there."

That sort of thing?

If you're talking about conversations between characters, we can certainly work stuff out as to why we know all each other, an adventure or two we've shared etc.

If you're talking about conversations with random other people, then you're thinking very much like an epic dude that everyone knows. My character would be more of a man of the people- talks to them a couple seconds, gets to know what kind of outlook they have, then convinces them that he's their friend and shares their view of the world. To a young lady he's a poor wayward boy in need of aid, to the merchant he's the son of a merchant who rails against the heavy burdens of taxation and the long hours spent trying to eek out a profit... that sort of thing.

El Skid on
    edited May 2011
    I'm throwing out general but non-specific scenarios to try and get an idea of how your thief fits into the picture.

What I mean is...

'Jotunn' has been a lot of places and been party to some seriously crazy things. It sounds like your thief has been around as well (though with a great deal of anonymity) and knows a thing or two about getting access to important things and people.

Basically, trying to figure out if he's the sort of guy who might know who 'Jotunn' is... and if Jotunn would get the feeling of 'I swear I have seem that dude somewhere.'

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    I'm throwing out general but non-specific scenarios to try and get an idea of how your thief fits into the picture.

What I mean is...

'Jotunn' has been a lot of places and been party to some seriously crazy things. It sounds like your thief has been around as well (though with a great deal of anonymity) and knows a thing or two about getting access to important things and people.

Basically, trying to figure out if he's the sort of guy who might know who 'Jotunn' is... and if Jotunn would get the feeling of 'I swear I have seem that dude somewhere.'

Ah okay. Gettin' it now.

Yeah, he probably knows who Jotunn is. Heck, he probably bought poorly-drawn Jotunn adventure stories to read, and has a poorly-made Jotunn figurine some dude was selling in the market one day that had been a treasured keepsake.

When he heard Jotunn was in the area, he probably followed Jotunn around quite a bit until he could work out a good way to make an introduction. It was probably along the lines of "Ummm..excuse me sir. The guy you're looking for lives on the other side of town- I can introduce you if you like. Also, you might watch out for the ninja assassins up in the alley up ahead- they are actually pretty good at hiding!"

El Skid on
    edited May 2011
    Luckily he will be able to also charm his way out of the dagger at his throat after Jotunn assumes he is (yet again) being given false information by one of his many unseen enemies :P

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Okay I am starting to see a bit of a 'Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser' aspect to this PC relationship now, though with some of the more hostile 'Conan' overtones on Jotunn's part.

And that is a VERY GOOD THING!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Jack is MADE for charming his way out of danger. :D

El Skid on
    edited May 2011
    They probably have seen each other before then, and Drascal has probably heard Jotunn's name before. I wouldn't think they would be more familiar then "Hey weren't you the guy at that place one time?" though.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Ah. Sort of like they've been to many of the same places, perhaps even fought alongside the same allies, but never managed to be working together before?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Yeah. How does that seem to you?

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    i like it

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg