As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shinobi 3DS - By Griptonite Games

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
Sega have just put out a video showing off the first gameplay footage of a new Shinobi for the 3DS.

Check it out

This is made by Griptonite games, who you may remember from such games as the badass GBA Spyro sidescroller/metroidvania, and the also very good handheld spider-man games.

Good for them that they've been entrusted with a series with such a strong heritage. I look forward to seeing more on it.

Edit:
I feel the OP lacks information, though. Feel free to add the following for new visitors to the thread:
A SEGA LEGEND RETURNS ON NINTENDO 3DS
Shinobi is Back in Full 3D After Eight Years

LONDON AND SAN FRANCISCO – (May 26, 2011) – SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA of America, Inc. today announced Shinobi exclusively for Nintendo 3DS. Developed by Griptonite Games, Shinobi is the long anticipated return of the fan favorite series and includes the classic side-scrolling action gameplay players have loved since the original. Coming to stores in September 2011, Shinobi introduces several exciting new features such as StreetPass and a large assortment of achievements and challenges to unlock.

“For years the fans have been asking for a new Shinobi,” said Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing of SEGA West. “With Shinobi on Nintendo 3DS we are able to answer their prayers and bring this legendary series to the next level.”

Shinobi tells the story of Jiro Musashi, the leader of the Oboro clan and father of Joe Musashi, the hero of the first iterations of Shinobi. Players will become a true ninja legend by mastering a brand new combo system switching between melee, ranged and acrobatic attacks. They will also need to rely on Jiro’s ninja magic to get an advantage over their enemies and get out of tight spots.

Shinobi will be released for Nintendo 3DS in September 2011.

That press release, plus screens and other fun, can be found here.

So, yeah, it's a prequel. Given the time jump between releases, I'd have expected Joe Musashi's son, rather than his father, but this is cool.

LewieP on

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey I remember that Spyro game! That was a pretty neat looking game!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did my eyes deceive me, or did I just see a helicopter boss? :P

Also I think I hear some classic sound effects in there.

Regardless, this may very well tip me into getting a 3DS. Very excited about this.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shinobi's BACK!

Update this commercial

Algertman on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Totally didn't see this, ended up sticking it in the 3DS thread. Oops!

Very excited. I like the way it looks and I think the 3D effect could be really nice with the art style. September, get here faster!

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's not the greatest looking game of all time, but I totally trust Griptonite with making a fun game, they've proved themselves several times before.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was hoping they'd use the super badass 2002 ninja look instead of the boring and plain white ninja look.

edit: Oh, he's got the best part of the 2002 costume. Never mind then.

reVerse on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    Shinobi's BACK!

Update this commercial

OMG, is that Hiro from Heroes?! YES!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's not the most graphicallyintensive game, but it certainly does look like fun.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dat Cape.

Shinobi Backu!

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ehh ... I'm not sold, especially given there are natural comparisons to what Wayforward is doing with Bloodrayne on XBLA:

Gameplay vid

I don't really have much experience with Shinobi as a franchise, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, good, someone made this. I would have, but like Lunker, I don't have much experience with Shinobi (largely farming Achievements in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection), though I do have a certain respect for it, being one of "those" games that it seemed everyone else (re: SEGA owners vs. Nintendo) would talk about.

Always good to see SEGA reviving one of their classic big names, particularly when they appear to be doing it right.

I feel the OP lacks information, though. Feel free to add the following for new visitors to the thread:
    A SEGA LEGEND RETURNS ON NINTENDO 3DS
    Shinobi is Back in Full 3D After Eight Years

LONDON AND SAN FRANCISCO – (May 26, 2011) – SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA of America, Inc. today announced Shinobi exclusively for Nintendo 3DS. Developed by Griptonite Games, Shinobi is the long anticipated return of the fan favorite series and includes the classic side-scrolling action gameplay players have loved since the original. Coming to stores in September 2011, Shinobi introduces several exciting new features such as StreetPass and a large assortment of achievements and challenges to unlock.

“For years the fans have been asking for a new Shinobi,” said Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing of SEGA West. “With Shinobi on Nintendo 3DS we are able to answer their prayers and bring this legendary series to the next level.”

Shinobi tells the story of Jiro Musashi, the leader of the Oboro clan and father of Joe Musashi, the hero of the first iterations of Shinobi. Players will become a true ninja legend by mastering a brand new combo system switching between melee, ranged and acrobatic attacks. They will also need to rely on Jiro’s ninja magic to get an advantage over their enemies and get out of tight spots.

Shinobi will be released for Nintendo 3DS in September 2011.

That press release, plus screens and other fun, can be found here.

So, yeah, it's a prequel. Given the time jump between releases, I'd have expected Joe Musashi's son, rather than his father, but this is cool.

Know what would make this game even better?
    If they revived Alex Kidd while they're at it, as a secret character:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L7gAjwMu7g

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I feel the OP lacks information, though. Feel free to add the following for new visitors to the thread.

Done, cheers. Couldn't agree more about Alex Kidd.

LewieP on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My first experience with Shinobi was on the game gear, where there were 5 color coded Ninjas you had to defeat, save, recruit and use. Each had different weapons and abilities, and I kind of wish they made a Shinobi game like that again.

Lux on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The real question is this. Do I get to kill Spider-Man, Batman, and Godzilla in this one?

Algertman on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The only Shinobi I played was one of the Mega Drive ones, and man it was balls hard. I was also about 10, but jeez. Fairly sure they were all featured on the Angry Video Game Nerd as well.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    The only Shinobi I played was one of the Mega Drive ones, and man it was balls hard. I was also about 10, but jeez. Fairly sure they were all featured on the Angry Video Game Nerd as well.

He hasn't done Shinobi, you're probably thinking of Ninja Gaiden.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I remember first playing Shinobi in the arcades in 1989, had to stand on a chair to play it ( I was only 5 ) and thinking "This game is a bit too hard". My dad bought the Master System version and I loved the shit out of it. Soon enough I picked up Shadow Dancer, a Mega Drive with Shinobi 3 and the Saturn Shinobi game ( with all it's cheesy video goodness ) and soon disliked it after that. The PS2 game was ok I guess.

If this new Shinobi is more like Shinobi 3 or Shadow Dancer, I'll be happy.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    The real question is this. Do I get to kill Spider-Man, Batman, and Godzilla in this one?

That was my question when the game came up in the Sonic anniversary thread, as soon as I discovered the developer had made some Spider-man games.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm surprised so many people are enthused for this. I've been a long time shinobi fan, and I can't help but notice that this game looks like...well, shit.

It's true that graphics aren't the most important thing--Shinobi PS2 was pretty ugly--but it's stylistically very boring. It looks more like DSiware game than a proper 3DS title.

Aside from that, it looks like an uncreative rehash of old Shinobi mechanics, with giant inelegant point values flying all over the screen. I'm not optimistic.

Princepeach on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You don't know frustrating end boss until you experience PS2 Shinobi final boss fight

Spoilers for obvious reasons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra8gCl_6pP8

"I CALL FORTH THE LIGHTING OF HEAVEN!"
    "I CALL FORTH THE ICY TOUCH OF DEATH!"
    "I CALL FORTH THE FIRES OF HELL!"

FOR FUCKING HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS!!!

FUCK YOU! I CALL FORTH MY COCK IN YOUR EYE YOU FUCKING SHITBAG!!!!!!!!

Of course, it's the most satisfying feeling when you basically one hit kill him (You can one hit kill any boss if you build up your ninja gauge).

This game was a ninja trainer. After this game, you'll only need 60 years of physical training to be on par of a real ninja.

Casually Hardcore on