As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about Knights of the Old Republic

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Technical issues with an Obsidian game? Surely you jest, good sir!

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

I still maintain reading that is one of the absolute best ways to experience KoTOR II. I mean, I love playing it, but trying to deal with some of the technical issues it raises on newer systems can get infuriating.

Z0re on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd kill for a remake of KotOR with Mass Effect tech. It shan't ever happen with LucasArts in its current state, which saddens me deeply.

I'd kill for a make of KotOR II with KotOR tech.

ZING.
    I'd rather have KotOR with KotOR II in-game mechanics.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And no stupid minigames.

Just stupid math puzzles and turret bits. And that fucking Tower of Hanoi puzzle.

Hmm. How are the puzzles stupid?

If they're too easy, then they aren't an issue.

If you're having difficulty with them, then they are intelligent puzzles are they not?

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd kill for a remake of KotOR with Mass Effect tech. It shan't ever happen with LucasArts in its current state, which saddens me deeply.

I'd kill for a Knights of the Republic game set during New Hope through RotJ, or even set after the events of RotJ with ME tech, instead of a stupid MMO...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is what happened when I overrode a computer terminal last night:
    DDC520B0C3912114EE25BF4ADE0EBFCEBD7107B7

Both my other party members died, but somehow I was left with 2 or so hp. What fortune!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Derrick wrote: »
    And no stupid minigames.

Just stupid math puzzles and turret bits. And that fucking Tower of Hanoi puzzle.

If you're having difficulty with them, then they are intelligent puzzles are they not?

They're boilerplate logic games ripped from 1970s era issues of Reader's Digest to interject challenge into a game in places where the developer thought a task should be difficult but couldn't figure out a way to do that consistent with what my character ought to be able to accomplish within the RPG's narrative.

At some point I'm going to get a pop up message during a Bioware game telling me not to attempt the next level until I've completed the crossword in the Sunday New York Times.

SammyF on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

I still maintain reading that is one of the absolute best ways to experience KoTOR II. I mean, I love playing it, but trying to deal with some of the technical issues it raises on newer systems can get infuriating.

I always just play it on the OXBox. Yet to have any significant bugs.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Yeah, it runs fairly smoothly on the OXbox, I've only had a few bugs (one where it corrupted my save just as I was leaving the mining station argh), but read through that LP and you see the amount of content that was cut out to get the game in stores. Planets removed, entire plot lines excised. It's kind of depressing.

Still an entertaining game, but it's just not what it could have (and should have) been.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    see317 wrote: »

Yeah, it runs fairly smoothly on the OXbox, I've only had a few bugs (one where it corrupted my save just as I was leaving the mining station argh), but read through that LP and you see the amount of content that was cut out to get the game in stores. Planets removed, entire plot lines excised. It's kind of depressing.

Still an entertaining game, but it's just not what it could have (and should have) been.

If you don't care much for generic Star Wars, it's still very much worth the price of admission.

And probably one of my favorite RPGs.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Once you get off Dantooine, is there any specific order of planets I should follow? I was reading the post-Star Map dialogue while I was half falling asleep last night, so I didn't really catch whether or not there was a suggested order. I headed for Kashyyyk, but fell asleep...

Incredibly minor spoiler:
    trying to translate some weird little stow-away kid I bumped into on the Ebon Hawk.

So I haven't even set foot on the planet yet.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Once you get off Dantooine, is there any specific order of planets I should follow? I was reading the post-Star Map dialogue while I was half falling asleep last night, so I didn't really catch whether or not there was a suggested order. I headed for Kashyyyk, but fell asleep...

trying to translate some weird little stow-away kid I bumped into on the Ebon Hawk.

Are you the kind of person that eats their spinach first and leaves the good stuff for last so the meal doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth? If so, do Manaan first.

Are you the kind of person that takes two bites of something and decides then and there whether the meal is worth finishing? If so, don't do Manaan first.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

If you don't care much for generic Star Wars, it's still very much worth the price of admission.

I think the only issue with playing it on OXbox is that you miss out on the restoration mod, which is really nice and fills in most of the cut content.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »

Are you the kind of person that eats their spinach first and leaves the good stuff for last so the meal doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth? If so, do Manaan first.

Are you the kind of person that takes two bites of something and decides then and there whether the meal is worth finishing? If so, don't do Manaan first.

Gee, thanks. Somehow I felt less indecision when I had zero information about the choices. D:

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I think the only issue with playing it on OXbox is that you miss out on the restoration mod, which is really nice and fills in most of the cut content.

Most of the cut content was cut for good reason. Shit was incomplete or fudged with the pacing of the game.

Edit: Also for the above poster, Manaan is my favorite planet don't listen to the haters.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Gee, thanks. Somehow I felt less indecision when I had zero information about the choices. D:

Haha. I can make it clearer without having to resort to story spoilers: Manaan is almost as tedious as Taris. The hub design is even less inspired imho and the story dungeon... (gameplay mechanics, no story spoilers)
    has the time-honoured combination of forcing your character to walk slowly while facing enemies scripted to one-hit-kill you if you get too close. Yes you can kill them too.

It's not that it's difficult, because it isn't. It's just incredibly boring and the decisions made make Manaan seem like it was the very last planet Bioware worked on before they had to go gold.

Edit: I typically do one other planet and then choose Manaan so that the first third of the game doesn't feel like an extended Taris. ymmv.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man and here I am thinking Tatooine was the worst planet in KOTOR1. Little did I know popular opinion differed wildly.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man and here I am thinking Tatooine was the worst planet in KOTOR1. Little did I know popular opinion differed wildly.

That's the thing. We expect Tatooine to be a ball of sand, but it holds an iconic place in the SW universe and Bioware made sure there were lots of things to do.

Manaan is like doing all of the ME1 Citadel sidequests at once. Except there is no fast transit. And you have to pass the big stupid jellyfish, krogan statue, abortion debate and space jew each and every single time you want to travel from the Embassy to the Consort Chambers because they didn't bother including extra bridges. Also, the consort and embassy are where the two main quest givers are so you have no choice but to do this to continue the story.

I really hate Manaan.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I'd kill for a Knights of the Republic game set during New Hope through RotJ, or even set after the events of RotJ with ME tech, instead of a stupid MMO...

I'd kill for a mashup of Jedi Academy fighting mechanics, KOTORs branching storylines/dialogue, and Tie Fighters space combat.

My dream game would be the above set during the OT...but with tons of branching storylines that deviate from canon.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

That's the thing. We expect Tatooine to be a ball of sand, but it holds an iconic place in the SW universe and Bioware made sure there were lots of things to do.

Manaan is like doing all of the ME1 Citadel sidequests at once. Except there is no fast transit. And you have to pass the big stupid jellyfish, krogan statue, abortion debate and space jew each and every single time you want to travel from the Embassy to the Consort Chambers because they didn't bother including extra bridges. Also, the consort and embassy are where the two main quest givers are so you have no choice but to do this to continue the story.

I really hate Manaan.

Lots of things to do that weren't very interesting, sadly. Unless you count running across an entirely too large area of sand, sand, and more sand intriguing.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'll give you my order... WARNING: SPOILERS for the rest of the game.
    Tatooine first.
    Everyone should get HK as soon as possible because he is twelve different varieties of wonderful (that goes up to 15 if you have a high repair skill).
    Kashyyyk second.
    Jolee is almost as entertaining as HK, and is the last remaining character to pick up.
    <<If you got shit left to do on Dantooine, or you want some of the unique gear there, now's the time to do it. Once you pick up the 4th piece of the map (Dantooine being the first) you won't be able to go back.>>
    Manaan third.
    On the third starmap (after Dantooine) you get, there's a fight with a sith apprentice. If you fight him on Manaan he'll drop a unique red double lightsaber. The lightsaber will take different effects from the enhancement crystals you put in, some better then normal some worse but it adds some variety to lightsabering guys. Gamefaqs entry with more information (under section V).
    Last stop is Korriban.

see317 on
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just started playing this for my first time.

It's cool. I can see where Mass Effect got a lot of stuff from.

About an hour in, I'll probably play more this weekend.

symbolsor on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was going to say which planet was best, but I'm hard pressed to say any of them were very good except Korriban. My memory of the story on Manaan is:
    Goddamn Sith assholes standing around blocking ports ugh go away
    Goddamn sharks and goddamn water trying to hold me back ugh ugh
    Goddamn fishmen think they can put me on trial gonna electrocute all of you one day just wait

Tough competition with who made this goddamn desert so fucking big, though. Guess I'll put Kashykk in second because I can't remember much of it, and Dantooine third because the jedi are assholes.
    On the third starmap (after Dantooine) you get, there's a fight with a sith apprentice. If you fight him on Manaan he'll drop a unique red double lightsaber. The lightsaber will take different effects from the enhancement crystals you put in, some better then normal some worse but it adds some variety to lightsabering guys. Gamefaqs entry with more information (under section V).

I don't think that's on the PC version.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SammyF wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    And no stupid minigames.

They're boilerplate logic games ripped from 1970s era issues of Reader's Digest to interject challenge into a game in places where the developer thought a task should be difficult but couldn't figure out a way to do that consistent with what my character ought to be able to accomplish within the RPG's narrative.

At some point I'm going to get a pop up message during a Bioware game telling me not to attempt the next level until I've completed the crossword in the Sunday New York Times.

I actually laughed out loud at this. That was a fantastic answer, and I tip my hat at you sir.

Still, I have to say I got near endless enjoyment out of watching my roommate in college try to brute force the Tower puzzle. :)

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I don't think that's on the PC version.

That's annoying. That lightsaber was one of my favorite things in the game.
    Having a 100% chance to stun was awesome with mastered speed and flurry. Sure it was only a DC10 to break it, but still...

see317 on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Kashyyyk first
    Jolee Bindo is the best person, in star wars, ever. Don't say HK-47 is, because he's a droid, not a person. and he is the best droid, in star wars, ever.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Kashyyyk first
    Jolee Bindo is the best person, in star wars, ever. Don't say HK-47 is, because he's a droid, not a person. and he is the best droid, in star wars, ever.

If there was some way to get them both on the same planet, that would be the best planet ever.

see317 on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Don't do Manaan early on. Seriously, I just tried it.

I went to it right after Tatooine (I guess around level 9 or 10 so?) and everything was too tough. I spent about two hours in
    the sith base
    moving slowly and tactically, failing each battle multiple times, scraping through by the skin on my teeth. I got about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way through the planet's plotline and had to start avoiding certain enemies because I could hardly put a dent in them. Finally I hit a stupid generic droid that would. not. die. It was blocking the path forward, so I had to turn around and retreat.

I just got to Kashyyyk and the difficulty curve has dropped like a rock. I am invincible!

Frem on
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay, I have a moral dilemma. I'm pretty sure this makes me a bad person. I have never played KOTOR 1 or 2 and Jade Empire.

I feel dirty about this.

Does anyone have trouble running KOTOR on the xbox 360? Or should I grab it on Steam (I am afraid of wonky-ness from Windows 7 64 bit tho...)

I should probably buy Jade Empire off of Xbox arcade, but I like having disks...

Elixir on
    ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elixir wrote: »
    Okay, I have a moral dilemma. I'm pretty sure this makes me a bad person. I have never played KOTOR 1 or 2 and Jade Empire.

I feel dirty about this.

Does anyone have trouble running KOTOR on the xbox 360? Or should I grab it on Steam (I am afraid of wonky-ness from Windows 7 64 bit tho...)

I should probably buy Jade Empire off of Xbox arcade, but I like having disks...

I have Windows x64 and have had no problems running KotoR on it via my Steam purchase. I did switch it from Full Screen to Window mode, though, since KotoR does not support wide screen monitors.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so, uh, none of the planets are actually that good or what?

like, worse than the Kotor 2 planets? (actually I think that game had 3-4 nice places)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so, uh, none of the planets are actually that good or what?

like, worse than the Kotor 2 planets? (actually I think that game had 3-4 nice places)

All the planets are pretty good, as far as I can tell. The debate is mostly which ones are best and/or stand up to repeat playthroughs well.

Frem on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jade Empire is a woefully under-rated title. The game is really a lost gem that really deserves a sequel. Here's hoping the return to the IP after ME is wrapped up. It would make a nice counterpoint to DA.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looking at the page of the 493 pokemon drawn as teenage girls has left me hankering for a kung fun open world RPG where you wander the land and due battle with chinese and Japanese mythological creatures.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looking at the page of the 493 pokemon drawn as teenage girls has left me hankering for a kung fun open world RPG where you wander the land and due battle with chinese and Japanese mythological creatures.

What?

Pokemon in my Star Wars?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You got Pokémon in my Star Wars!

You got Star Wars in my Pokémon!

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I just have a quick question. By the time I collect all the pieces of the Star map, am I supposed to be an unstoppable god of destruction? I may need to check what difficulty I'm playing on. I'd never play on easy, but I'm guessing I'm not on the hardest difficulty either. I just murdered Malek's apprentice. It was me, Jolee, and Juhani. All three have Master Speed, Master Flurry, and Master Dueling/two-weapon fighting (I've got a lightsaber/short lightsaber, Jolee has a single lightsaber, and Juhani has a double-bladed lightsaber). All three of us also have Force Whirlwind.

I can't remember the last time I had to heal mid-battle. We're a cuisinart of death!

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I just have a quick question. By the time I collect all the pieces of the Star map, am I supposed to be an unstoppable god of destruction? I may need to check what difficulty I'm playing on. I'd never play on easy, but I'm guessing I'm not on the hardest difficulty either. I just murdered Malek's apprentice. It was me, Jolee, and Juhani. All three have Master Speed, Master Flurry, and Master Dueling/two-weapon fighting (I've got a lightsaber/short lightsaber, Jolee has a single lightsaber, and Juhani has a double-bladed lightsaber). All three of us also have Force Whirlwind.

I can't remember the last time I had to heal mid-battle. We're a cuisinart of death!

Sounds about right. The final fight was a pain in the ass when I made an unoptimized character, but self-buffing Knights pretty much rule the roost.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The game is pretty much easy mode once you get your first level of jedi. It's not a challenging game.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm really disappointed that the next game is an MMORPG. People online are morons, why would I possibly want them in my universe?

I don't want anybody else involved in my Mass Effect game, either. Not every game has to have multiplayer.

joshofalltrades on