As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PLANETSIDE II] - Stupid Sexy Vanu [~LAUNCH IN 1 DAY~]

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It just seems incredible that they would announce a launch this spring and here we are in spring and there is barely even any info. They must have known how far development was in December.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If the beta actually starts in march and accepts current subs I will eat a lemon whole.

BlueDestiny on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    While I think the notion that the game is coming out anytime soon is silly, the notion that all they have created so far is a few models is infinitely sillier.

I'm sure they have the game in a playable state internally; I wouldn't be surprised if we see a release this year and betas starting relatively soon. I also think that they're going to go with a "freemium" model instead of a boxed/sub dealy, but that remains to be seen.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    they should charge per vehicle spawned and for the phoenix. that will stop all those terribad people from leaving their tanks unmanned right next to an enemy base.

also because i hate the phoenix. and everyone who uses them.
    i really don't want them to charge per anything :?

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    they should charge per vehicle spawned and for the phoenix. that will stop all those terribad people from leaving their tanks unmanned right next to an enemy base.

also because i hate the phoenix. and everyone who uses them.
    i really don't want them to charge per anything :?

They could give all soldiers those Bulletstorm-style bracelets that let you acquire currency to buy things from item terminals :winky:

Also, energy whips.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
    edited March 2011
    Good news for PlanetSide "Next". Appears there will be an official announcement/etc fairly soon, and release will be later this year.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-planetside-next-team-expanding-2462.htm
    As part of a strategic decision to reduce costs and streamline its global workforce, SOE announced today that it will eliminate 205 positions and close its Denver, Seattle and Tucson studios. As part of this restructuring, SOE is discontinuing production of The Agency so it can focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties, while also maintaining its current portfolio of online games. All possible steps are being taken to ensure team members affected by the transition are treated with appropriate concern.
    PlanetSide Next is getting More resources and will be out a little later in the year but we are pulling out all the stops to make it great.

This is from the president of SOE, so it's relatively reliable, if not guaranteed, but still heartening news.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited April 2011
    How odd. SOE actually putting MORE devs on a Planetside project? I figured they would leave it with a shoestring budget and push out a piece of shit that will be bought anyways because the hardcore PS folk are desperate for anything new.

BlueDestiny on
  • Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i completely just realized i re-subbed and have been playing planetside simply because i miss TRIBES so much.

what the hell?

seriously though, i've been having a blast playing again. got my NC up to BR16

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
    edited May 2011
    Small bit of info on PlanetSide 2 (apparently that is the official name now, by the way).

planetside2_warfare.jpg

Obviously a rough concept. I think all we can really take away from it is that maps will be marginally more compact and significantly more tactical. Bases/lattice/warpgates look much the same in general.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    needs more news of roaming monsters on battlefields to spice things up

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited May 2011
    needs dota ai to constantly push to a specified base by a cr5

TheKoolEagle on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

?

Anyhoo: if that map is the same scale as the current ones - looks like it's a lot smaller. That could be good for focusing the action, I suppose.

Looks a lot like the current cavern maps too.

(Wonder if I could even play this whenever it comes out: have something like 330 - 380 ping to the current server now :()

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Ayulin wrote: »

?

Anyhoo: if that map is the same scale as the current ones - looks like it's a lot smaller. That could be good for focusing the action, I suppose.

Looks a lot like the current cavern maps too.

(Wonder if I could even play this whenever it comes out: have something like 330 - 380 ping to the current server now :()

yeah pretty much monday night combat on a much wider scale, although my hopes and dreams are probably not going to be met, I just want the ability to upgrade the ai armor/weapons/vehicles and have cr5 people at bases giving orders to the ai that base spawns.

more cavern maps... ewwwww... I did my time as a fraggle to unlock bfrs, it was hell and was not worth it in the end with my robot :(

TheKoolEagle on
    edited May 2011
    I just waited for the free BFR cert for having a super old character. Nothing is worth enduring the caverns for.

BlueDestiny on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Scything through infantry, vehicles, and aircraft with a Vanu Flight BFR equipped with pre-nerf dual continuous lasers made my brief time cavern diving worthwhile. Love em or hate em, the monolith event that led up to the release of the BFRs generated some of my most memorable gaming experiences.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    edited May 2011
    Ayulin wrote: »

I think PS could do with some focusing of the action. How often was most of an active continent completely unused, even at launch (after lattice)?

But I don't think we can make too many assumptions on a rough concept map.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Inactive continents were my favorite.

Or course, I ran with a spec ops clan and we would do dropship base captures with less than 10 people.

By the time everybody was coming to play we were moving on to the next target.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Inactive continents were my favorite.

Or course, I ran with a spec ops clan and we would do dropship base captures with less than 10 people.

By the time everybody was coming to play we were moving on to the next target.

I don't understand people like you, but god bless you.

Two of my buddies are HORRIBLE at FPS games, and Planetside was the first FPS they could play where they found meaningful roles.

I just hope PS2 brings back some of that old feeling the original had, but without the BFR crap.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

edited May 2011
    There's some tension in doing sneaky stuff when you have no idea if there's any enemies, and you have no outside support. I remember doing stealth gen drops with one or two other outfit-mates, having to hack all our stuff from the terminals and trying to hear and recognise sounds from elsewhere in the base: was that a spawn tube activating? What's the guy equipped with? Does he know we're here - should we wait it out for a little, or finish quickly?

Fun times. Preferred the "louder" ways of playing the game, but it's great that you have the opportunity to do things like that anyway.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    This thread really needs a better title.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    This thread really needs a better title.

Planetside 2: It's a Sony!

Fantastication2 on
    edited June 2011
    Another uninformative teaser image.

391f048109783e685882dd5.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TR still have ze goggles

This is important.

Draygo on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Another uninformative teaser image.

391f048109783e685882dd5.jpg

Well, it looks like you can modify the colors, in the limits of the parameters of your teams theme colors, which is cool. Unless we already knew that (I didn't)

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's very much not a color selection UI. It seems to just be the color palette of the model itself. Not sure why it was on the slide, though... maybe they talked about color and blah blah blah.

Garthor on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    N... No!

I choose to believe, what I was programmed to believe!
    2h66fwz.jpg

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited June 2011
    The tease needs to stop. Must... shoot mans... after hot dropping from a Galaxy...

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited June 2011
    you know that all soe mmos are free to play since psn went back up right? for 45 days so if you REALLY need to shoot mans after hot dropping out of a galaxy you can do that.

as long as you subscribed at one point in time.

TheKoolEagle on
    edited June 2011
    Ha didn't know that.

Logged in and I'm a 6-year veteran. :)

Wonder what the veteran perks are, if any.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Two years: Heavy Scout Rifle (semi-auto sniper rifle in Sniping cert) and Scorpion (distance-triggered rocket launcher in Elite Assault cert)
    Three years: Dragon (flamethrower in Elite Assault cert)
    Five years: Reinforced Exo-Suit (no surprise what cert this is from)

So you basically don't need to have the rexo cert any more, though it doesn't say that anywhere that I could find in the game. If you give up the cert you'll still have access to the suit, so you can use those cert points elsewhere.

Also: wow, the max BR is 40 now? Geez, I thought it was still at 25...

(Seems like you also get all the certs unlocked at 40. I guess that's fair.)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    damn i was playing a few months ago and i didn't notice they upped max br,

but i mean if you are still playing the game you might as well have a character that can do it all

TheKoolEagle on
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For all you Planetside Next fans stay tuned for a big announcement at our upcoming Fan Faire in Vegas!

That's July 7-9.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
    edited June 2011
    When E3 came and went that was my next assumption. It's awesome to have some confirmation that we can look forward to the date though.

I imagine this will be the first release of media, etc. It's hard to believe they intend to release the game this year.. wonder if that will hold up.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish they'd just hurry up and release the damn thing... though it would be nice if they waited just long enough for me to get a new video card. :mrgreen:

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So many fond memories. It was my first MMO, and I was there on day one, but didn't have a clue. We were assaulting some base on Oshur, when I just jumped into a platoon with some random dudes. We ended up taking 4 or 5 bases in an afternoon of fierce fighting, and I got a guild invite. I'm still tight with those guys after all these years, even when we all left migrated to WoW, or Eve or whatever.

I was one of the Gal pilots, and the best. Really, anyone can fly a gal, hell, it ain't hard. But what seperated a good Gal pilot from a great one was where you got dropped. I could put an infantry squad and MAXes anywhere they needed to be - right by doors on towers, by gen rooms on bases, and I could do it on the move, with afterburners if need be.

I think my best memories from that game were the campaigns, where several Outfits would team up, go over a battle plan with great secrecy, and then launch an invasion. The tight coordination between the outfits, the logistics and combat were why we all signed up and played this game.

I would hope that PS 2 isn't a re-skin of the old PS1. The massive combat, while fun, did get stale. Endless tug of war, while fun, can lost it's appeal after so long.

Also, fuck Jackhammers. So much.

3lwap0 on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There are too many games that are teasing my cock with their twitter messages. The Mechwarrior guys said "sorry we weren't at e3, but hold on to your butts!" and now the Planetside doods are doing the same damn thing. 2011 sucks, there's far too much waiting involved for all the good shit to come out. Having said that, the last half of this year is going to be AMAZING.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    There are too many games that are teasing my cock with their twitter messages. The Mechwarrior guys said "sorry we weren't at e3, but hold on to your butts!" and now the Planetside doods are doing the same damn thing. 2011 sucks, there's far too much waiting involved for all the good shit to come out. Having said that, the last half of this year is going to be AMAZING.

You have seen this haven't you?

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »

You have seen this haven't you?

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

Yar, I have it installed but have a massive backlog of shit I'm trying to play through first. I did get online for one round and enjoy the combat enough, but I'm not too thrilled with the economy side of the game.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    So many fond memories. It was my first MMO, and I was there on day one, but didn't have a clue. We were assaulting some base on Oshur, when I just jumped into a platoon with some random dudes. We ended up taking 4 or 5 bases in an afternoon of fierce fighting, and I got a guild invite. I'm still tight with those guys after all these years, even when we all left migrated to WoW, or Eve or whatever.

I was one of the Gal pilots, and the best. Really, anyone can fly a gal, hell, it ain't hard. But what seperated a good Gal pilot from a great one was where you got dropped. I could put an infantry squad and MAXes anywhere they needed to be - right by doors on towers, by gen rooms on bases, and I could do it on the move, with afterburners if need be.

I think my best memories from that game were the campaigns, where several Outfits would team up, go over a battle plan with great secrecy, and then launch an invasion. The tight coordination between the outfits, the logistics and combat were why we all signed up and played this game.

I would hope that PS 2 isn't a re-skin of the old PS1. The massive combat, while fun, did get stale. Endless tug of war, while fun, can lost it's appeal after so long.

Also, fuck Jackhammers. So much.

PS was also my first MMO and piloting a Galaxy was by far my favorite thing to do. I had a custom setup joystick and I could put a squad anywhere they needed to be. On top of a tower, right next to the back entrance of a base or hot dropped into the middle of the action. I hope PS2 has two dropships, the first one small and agile that only holds one squad somewhere between the Reaver and the Galaxy. And the Galaxy for the larger operations.

I keep wishing that someone would make a game on just being a dropship pilot.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
    edited June 2011
    Well, Galaxy is already confirmed thankfully. It wouldn't be PS without base drops :)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
This discussion has been closed.