As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man the game must be pissed at me for hitting the "exit now" button while logging. Whenever I start the game I either get an all white screen or a transparent one. And thats it. Sound is working as are mouse clicks. Just cant see anything =/

edit: Alright, appears to be working now. Guess I just needed to restart

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    thats saying alot because when i played the game had almost no PVE after lvl 20, it was just big and empty other than gank squads rolling around lower level area's being dickheads to new people.

For sure.

I was one of those stupid people who pre-ordered AoC way back when. The game was so. . . bad at release that I uninstalled the thing before my free 30 days were even done. I remember finally getting out of Tortage and expecting grand things, then loading in to the level 20 Aquilonian zone and going "WTF?". Soon after it was wiped from my hard drive.

The only reason I even got back into AoC was because my buddy was bored and decided to try out their two week trial back in June. I told him the game was balls and to not waste his time, but he dragged me into it. Needless to say I was most impressed with what I saw.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Axen wrote: »

I was one of those stupid people who pre-ordered AoC way back when. The game was so. . . bad at release that I uninstalled the thing before my free 30 days were even done. I remember finally getting out of Tortage and expecting grand things, then loading in to the level 20 Aquilonian zone and going "WTF?". Soon after it was wiped from my hard drive.

This was pretty much my exact experience with the game. I saw lots of problems (graphical glitches, instances inside instances inside instances, etc) but there seemed to be a fun game inside it all, and I enjoyed doing the Tortage storyline as the different classes. I was impressed how they had the same story told from different perspectives, and that gave me hope for the rest of the game.

Then I left Tortage for the 'real' world, and felt like I'd just been suckered.

I do appreciate that the game has likely improved quite a bit since those early days, but the problem is that there have been so many other, better games to come out since. I don't see a reason to ever try this one again.

This is the lesson companies who design MMOs need to take with them: Your launch is not the entire game, but it is one of the most important parts of it. If you fuck it up, people will leave and most of them won't come back. Crappy launches used to be the standard, and even today we all understand that there will be some problems when a game goes live. But Funcom screwed the pooch on this one, and after Anarchy Online, I should have known better. They've definitely lost me as a customer on any future endeavors. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyways, I reactivated my account (that I canceled like, 3 weeks after launch). Its fun so far, but I haven't gotten the parts that made me furious, namely the level 50+ zones where you'd just get ganked by priests over and over again.

Apparantly being ganked over and over by priests of mitra is old and busted, being ganked by necromancers and rangers is the new hotness. I went with Tempest of Set, but apparantly its not a great class to avoid being ganked with. Its a good class, but it can't beat either of the previously mentioned classes.

60 fps on high graphic settings in dx9....tops at 30 in dx10, usually more like 15, and below 10 if I'm in a swamp. Its a pity, because the game looks stunning in dx10 mode.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Dodgy GeezerDodgy Geezer Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    thats saying alot because when i played the game had almost no PVE after lvl 20, it was just big and empty other than gank squads rolling around lower level area's being dickheads to new people.

Bold part is why I stopped playing. I got to level 30-something and gave up. I even re-rolled one of every class in the hope I could keep the spark going... nope. No luck.

I keep on thinking about re-subbing (because it's Conan) but I shudder everytime I recall how much it annoyed me. I really wanted it to work as well D:

Dodgy Geezer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Bold part is why I stopped playing. I got to level 30-something and gave up. I even re-rolled one of every class in the hope I could keep the spark going... nope. No luck.

I keep on thinking about re-subbing (because it's Conan) but I shudder everytime I recall how much it annoyed me. I really wanted it to work as well D:

Thats not accurate, really. Its not until past level 30 that the pve started to grow thin.

Anyway, from my whole 2 days of playing, it seems they doubled the number of quests. Or something. Haven't hit the 50 point though, which is where I will really see if they improved the game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Dodgy GeezerDodgy Geezer Registered User new member
    edited October 2009

Thats not accurate, really. Its not until past level 30 that the pve started to grow thin.

Anyway, from my whole 2 days of playing, it seems they doubled the number of quests. Or something. Haven't hit the 50 point though, which is where I will really see if they improved the game.

I misread it as lvl 30 :(

Dodgy Geezer on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The grind was bad, but the lack of stuff to do once you hit 80 was worse.

I haven't played in a few months, but last time I did, the endgame was still poor and not fun.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »

I haven't played in a few months, but last time I did, the endgame was still poor and not fun.

Well, it is an MMO.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »

Well, it is an MMO.

On the MMO scale, it was pretty bad.

I would hope by now they actually have working and balanced guild battle system. Sounds a bit like they still do not have it working.

Shens on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I heard the sieges are fun now, but have yet to see one, considering they're so rare.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I haven't taken part in a sieges yet either. Mainly because I don't care to join a large guild.

As far as stuff for level 80s to do, there does seem to be a lot more now then at launch and Funcom keeps adding more stuff every couple of months. Hell, there might be almost as many level 80 zones/instances as there are 20-70. In fact the next expansion is pretty much focused on level 80s.

I am only 10 levels away from 80 now. So maybe in a week or so I can comment on the endgame. Though for the most part I don't get into the whole 'grind X instance repeatedly, so I can grind Y instance repeatedly, so I can grind Z instance repeatedly' business that seems to be all the rage nowadays in MMOs.

Axen on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been bogged down a lot in the 60's. My main ranger is up to 66, but grinding shit in Atzel's and Thunder River is most definitely not fun and downright ass-rapingly bad.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Actually yeah. 65-70 was a bit of a bitch. Luckily my buddy and I are excellent group members and have formed a fairly long list of other people we are able to call on to group up with. Ended up doing all the group quests on the Prison Colony.

On an unrelated note. I wish I had the power to choke people through the internet cause every time I see a Guardian tell me (A conqueror) he can't tank cause he is DPS, blood shoots out of my eyes!

Oh! And this other time we were putting a group together, we had 2 tanks, a dps guy, and a necro. All we were waiting on was a healer. We finally get a bear shaman (who is a priest class btw) in the group and we are all like, "Sweet we are ready to go." when all of a sudden the bear shaman asks (I shit you not), "So who is healer?". We all of course assumed he was joking, but it soon became apparent that he was not. I told him that I would venture a guess that the healer would be the only one of us who was, in fact, a healer class. He was apparently offended by this, told us to fuck off, and /ragequit the group. Somehow I think we came out on top.

Axen on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Man. Healing by beating shit up was what I loved about bear shamans.

Echo on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I must admit, as much as I hated certain parts of this game, I have a distinct and fond memories of my Bear Shaman. Probably the coolest concept for a class ever. If they have a come-back weekend anytime ever (which, from all the improvements I'm hearing about, they ought to) I'm gonna love smashin' shit up with my big ol' stick again.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah. Competent bear shamans are awesome when you have them in the party. The trick is avoiding all the people who think that shamans are just self-healing tanks.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah. Competent bear shamans are awesome when you have them in the party. The trick is avoiding all the people who think that shamans are just self-healing tanks.

No no no, they're self healing DPS!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

No no no, they're self healing DPS!

Hah. I think the worst PUG I was in was where we had three healers. One priest, one tempest and one bear shaman. The priest spent all their time trying to heal the healers because the shaman would run ahead of the tanks and attack and the tempest kept on dying because he'd just spam lightning bolt over and over. Gah.

I need to dig this out and see what's changed in the 6 months since I've played it.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Luckton_The_GeekLuckton_The_Geek Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    RISE....

FROM YOUR GRAVE!

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=3310&table=CONTENT
    ‘Age of Conan’ soon available in a savage, sexy and brutal UNRATED version featuring a hybrid business model

Durham, USA – May 25th, 2011 – Funcom is excited to announce that the award-winning and critically acclaimed massively multiplayer online game ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’ will receive a digital re-launch this summer under the new name ‘Age of Conan: Unrated’. As well as reaffirming its position as the sexiest and most savage MMO in the world, ‘Age of Conan: Unrated’ will also feature a hybrid business model allowing anyone to freely roam the vast lands of Hyboria either as free players or premium subscribers with access to extra content.

Luckton_The_Geek on
  • Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Necromancer mode enable, must reanimate this old thread. Seriously nearly 2 years after the last post. o_O
    So what did happen today. Oh Funcom did a few evil things today

The will go F2P and unrated this summer. I am not sure if I like the F2P model with only 4 free classes.

http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=166952

However with the new movie and extra content the could reanimate this corpse or burn with the movie. :P

tricon on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    tricon wrote: »
    Necromancer mode enable, must reanimate this old thread. Seriously nearly 2 years after the last post. o_O

The will go F2P and unrated this summer. I am not sure if I like the F2P model with only 4 free classes.

However with the new movie and extra content the could reanimate this corpse or burn with the movie. :P

It looks like the only way to get the extra classes is to subscribe. . . That's not cool.

I mean, I can't just buy the bear shaman and be done with it?

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Entaru wrote: »

It looks like the only way to get the extra classes is to subscribe. . . That's not cool.

I have no idea. No word in the FAQ about it.

Hope the are not that stupid. I certainly will not subscribe to play my assassin.....

tricon on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Entaru wrote: »

That doesn't sound like a very good way for them to make money.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wonder where all my xp pots will go after this Unrated patch rolls out. I played for a while when the expansion came out and I had more then enough of those potions per character and then some.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Limiting classes for F2P is a terrible idea, it only hurts the game. Class population will be all shot to hell.

Zek on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't tried it since launch but it sounds like they added a bunch of content since then including some sort of solo dungeons. I can only justify one MMO at a time and thats still WoW for me but I'd totally be up for dipping my toe back in when this goes free to play.

It sounds like if you already had a character made too you can still play it for free even if its one of the subscriber classes so maybe I can bring my lvl 30 something Herald back from the dead.

powersurge on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hmmm..didn't DDO do the pay for some classes thing? It seems to have worked fine for them.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Hmmm..didn't DDO do the pay for some classes thing? It seems to have worked fine for them.

Yeah. Pay, not subscribe. AoC will require a subscription for them.

Which makes me wonder what will happen to my existing characters - I have a conqueror and a bear shaman on some server.

LotRO's system seems to work just fine, with buying content packs (classes, the quests for a zone (I think you can still enter the zones, there are just no quests until you buy the pack)) and stuff.

But just F2P or full subscription isn't granular enough, methinks.

Echo on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zek wrote: »
    Limiting classes for F2P is a terrible idea, it only hurts the game. Class population will be all shot to hell.
    It's not too bad as long as the free classes cover all the bases. Hopefully down the line they'll do what EQ2E did and make the other classes available for a one-time fee as well as for subscribers.

[edit] Though even EQ2E had 8 free classes at launch, not 4.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    It's not too bad as long as the free classes cover all the bases. Hopefully down the line they'll do what EQ2E did and make the other classes available for a one-time fee as well as for subscribers.

It's one class for each archetype - warrior, mage, priest, rogue (or whatever the rogue archetype was called).

But yeah, they really need more than just the jump from F2P straight to a sub. The warrior only has the tanking class, though I can't say how a Guardian does at DPSing.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I got the offer in my e-mail that my Age of Conan account had been re-activated until the end of May, and all I had to do was log on and start playing!!!

Even free I can't bring myself to want to play this game again. I know it's better than it was back at launch according to most anyone who has played it, but... meh.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »

It's one class for each archetype - warrior, mage, priest, rogue (or whatever the rogue archetype was called).

But yeah, they really need more than just the jump from F2P straight to a sub. The warrior only has the tanking class, though I can't say how a Guardian does at DPSing.

Info from the german community manager. If you have now one of the restricted classes, you can still play them later (max 2 chars) when the game goes f2p. However you can't create new classes except the 4.

No word yet if you can buy extra classes later.....funcom needs more time.......think.....hm.....:winky:.....

tricon on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I got the offer in my e-mail that my Age of Conan account had been re-activated until the end of May, and all I had to do was log on and start playing!!!

Even free I can't bring myself to want to play this game again. I know it's better than it was back at launch according to most anyone who has played it, but... meh.

Amusingly, I got that email too - and when I went to try to login I found it hadn't been reactivated. Cmon, Funcom. Really?

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have been playing my necromancer 'non-stop' since the re-activation offer (level 47 to 58 now). Cannot say that I would convert to a subscription once the offer runs out though it has been nice playing a true pet class similar to the necromancer in Diablo 2 rather than the abominations found in other MMO's where pet class is somehow regulated to having only 1 pet which is not allowed to be your main source of damage. I mean, what is up with that? o_O

Yogo on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    City of Villains' Masterminds want a word with you. I believe they want to offer you membership.

Glal on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Necromancer in Guild Wars allowed several pets as well, though they had timers, and were created by casting on actual dead enemies. I always thought they were cool there.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I will say that the Mastermind from CoX was probably one of the best pet classes ever. Really enjoyed having my own gang of thugs that would beat people up for me. :D

As to the Necromancer, I haven't played one since the early release days of Age of Conan. Back then they were absolutely terrible, as I only had one skeleton (very low level) and as soon as I'd send it to attack something, the attacked creatures would immediately beeline straight to me even though I was completely out of LOS.

Lost interest in that pretty quickly.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so i never got to experience more end-game of aoc, i had an assassin up to lv 36-38, but was the village building any good? I know after the tutorial island was the most fun part of the game, but would it be worth going back to with this f2p change?

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Eh, not really. Unless you like grinding for endless amounts of building materials.

Kakodaimonos on
This discussion has been closed.