As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

vBulletin is dead, long live Vanilla

14567810»

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They turned it into a My Little Pony fan forum and don't want us to see what they've become.

MKR on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    They turned it into a My Little Pony fan forum and don't want us to see what they've become.

Wait until E3, when Tube comes out on stage at the Sony conference and announces that the PA forums will be PS3 exclusive.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    agoaj wrote: »

Wait until E3, when Tube comes out on stage at the Sony conference and announces that the PA forums will be PS3 exclusive.

There goes our account security. D:

kyleh613 on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    IT
    ONLY
    DOES
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Delzhand on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    IT
    ONLY
    DOES
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

:^:

Xeddicus on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    agoaj wrote: »

Then at the next E3, he'll announce that it's actually coming out for the 360 after all, inciting flame wars over which version will be better. The truth is that it won't matter, because everyone will have to wait another year for either version to come out.
    This is all tongue-in-cheek of course. I don't actually think the new forums will take that long.

The Anonymous on
  • Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A new Vanilla version was released recently:
    Moderation Tools! Vanilla received some brand new, much needed tools for managing discussions (merge/split) and users (community reporting, user infractions).
    Improved Bans! Vanilla now supports a proper ban list, with Name, Email and even IP bans.
    Edit/Delete Log! Moderators/Admins can now review post edits and even deletions. This is especially useful when dealing with disputes or punishment.

heh

Prof. Awesome on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2011
    This is not a coincidence.

Tube on
    edited May 2011
    Alpha said they were going to try and contribute back to Vanilla, but I wasn't sure that it would work out. :rotate:

MKR on
  • Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's pretty great because I started messing around with Vanilla in the past weeks and I felt It lacked in that department.

Prof. Awesome on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hooray, means we're closer than ever to our fuzzy* new home

may or may not be due to spider infestation

Abracadaniel on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does Alpha work for Vanilla now? He was pretty much instrumental in getting all that stuff working here, wasn't he?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited May 2011
    That was all built into vbulletin. I set up the infraction system specifically, and the extra forum code is done by Ramius. Alpha kept it all running.

Tube on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It is very surprising that the edit/delete posts and the banning of members were not available in there to begin with.

Blake T on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    They aren't lying with branding the software "Vanilla". Post editing was already there, they added edit history.

FyreWulff on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hmm :^: to all this. Looks like Vanilla will be a more rounded product. Anything to get away from vBulletin and phpBB and their ilk.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can I suggest that the new forum software allow and support [thpoilerth][/thpoilerth] as a functional equivalent of the tag?

I will type them out instead of using the little exclamation point button every time just for the fun of it.

Not saying it needs to be in at rollout, just something to consider. :D

Gaslight on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    It is very surprising that the edit/delete posts and the banning of members were not available in there to begin with.

Yeah, it'd be like being permanently jailed. Kind of restrictive but I can see why it'd have its upsides.

As regards [thpoilerth], can I vote that down with a big horrified scream? We don't need another way for people to be able to screw up spoiler tags.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    As regards [thpoilerth], can I vote that down with a big horrified scream? We don't need another way for people to be able to screw up spoiler tags.

I wasn't really being very serious, although I haven't noticed this being a problem.

Gaslight on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As long as it doesn't go back to spoiler and RealSpoiler.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

Yeah, it'd be like being permanently jailed. Kind of restrictive but I can see why it'd have its upsides.

What I read on the changelog was that edits and deletions are now tracked, so that moderators can see what was there BEFORE someone edited it. Not that the ability to edit and delete posts was implemented in the software.

freakish light on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    That was all built into vbulletin. I set up the infraction system specifically, and the extra forum code is done by Ramius. Alpha kept it all running.

I didn't know the infraction system was your child.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Someone who's been around longer tell me about RealSpoiler.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited June 2011
    finnith wrote: »
    Someone who's been around longer tell me about RealSpoiler.

People abused spoilers for jokes, so they added real spoilers for real real spoilers.

MKR on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    It was like the spoiler, only it said REAL SPOILER in large letters.

I also think we used the hidden text spoilers back then with highlighting to reveal.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I also think we used the hidden text spoilers back then with highlighting to reveal.
    Oh yeah, I miss those, but mostly because you could place them in-line with regular text instead of forcing a new block.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited June 2011
    This is not the forum history thread.

Tube on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey, LPS, do you have anything new to share about the new forums? Any updates and/or timelines that you're privy to that you can/will share?

SeñorAmor on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there any way to make Youtube embeds in the 480p window rather than the 240p window inside Vanilla forums?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there any way to make Youtube embeds in the 480p window rather than the 240p window inside Vanilla forums?
    It has to do with how the player is embedded. The most common one is using an iframe, detailed here.

I would love to see the forums include the allowfullscreen=true attribute, since most of the time I just click the link and view the video on the site.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited June 2011
    I dunno about fullscreen within the forums, if I want to watch something in 1080p I just click through.

However, on a 24 inch 1920x1200 screen, the standard size player window is tiny.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Another forum I visit uses vanilla and I can't post anything there from my android phone.. Hopefully it won't be an issue here. Somehow. D:

Big Classy on
    edited June 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Another forum I visit uses vanilla and I can't post anything there from my android phone.. Hopefully it won't be an issue here. Somehow. D:

Smart Hero helped me test the mobile Vanilla on iOS when I tried running my own forum and he said it worked. Could be different for Android's browser, but I doubt it. Maybe the other forum removed the mobile theme for some reason.

MKR on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've used the mobile version on iOS without problems, but I can't say I've had any experience with Android.

Senshi on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I really don't care at this point what software the forums run on.

When are they going to be stable again? This shit has been going on for months now with no end in site. It's not THAT hard to keep a web forum (even a popular one) from shitting itself every 5 minutes. What is going on?

I'm sure, since you're dissatisfied with the service you're being given, that they'll be happy to offer you a refund on the money you paid to use this forum,

"It's free so you have no right to complain" is one of the most bullshit response to a complaint ever.

Granted, I agree with the general consensus that That_Guy has no idea what he's talking about, but "You didn't pay anything, therefore your opinion never matters" is like saying any publicity is good publicity.

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2011
    That certainly seems like a discussion we need to be having in this thread

Tube on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I feel I must politely disagree, Tube. This is a thread for updates regarding the new board system!

The Muffin Man on