As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[APB: Reloaded] New name, same game?

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can tell 100% of the fun we had from RTW era APB is still there.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Welp, apparently Dave Jones is back on this project.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/23/apbeta-open-for-all-this-afternoon/#comments

I'm speechless.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    update made matchmaking much better.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, this is great. Just great. Premium'd because I'm a retard and love this.

Rius and I are going to remake Two Days from Retirement on Joker, enforcer-side.

Ein on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gave this a bit of a shot, random groups are still a bad idea. I'd be up for joining up with folks here though.

Aistan on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ein wrote: »
    Man, this is great. Just great. Premium'd because I'm a retard and love this.

Rius and I are going to remake Two Days from Retirement on Joker, enforcer-side.

Holy hell..... two days rides again?

How do i claim my old stuff again? Edit :Found it.

Butt it does not recognize my username password. Awesome. Support tickets ahoy.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Two Days 'TILL Retirement!

Rius on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well I'd love to try this out but hitting start from the launcher leads to nothing happening.

Official forums have lots of people with this issue and no solutions. Ah well.

BlueDestiny on
    edited May 2011
    ...Unrelated: Can't choose where to install GamersFirst Live.

Not pleased. Not pleased at all.

I just noticed this. Once you have the APB Launcher installed, you can use that to update/launch APB:R and you can ininstall both Pando and the GamersFirst Live bullcrap thingum.

Rius on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Rius wrote: »

I just noticed this. Once you have the APB Launcher installed, you can use that to update/launch APB:R and you can ininstall both Pando and the GamersFirst Live bullcrap thingum.

Once you do that, can you reinstall APB to the correct drive, and if so, would I have to spend 6 days downloading it all over again?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited May 2011
    Rius wrote: »

Once you do that, can you reinstall APB to the correct drive, and if so, would I have to spend 6 days downloading it all over again?

Hmm... good questions. I'm not sure if the APB launcher can download/install the whole game, though I don't see why it shouldn't. It's the only thing I'm using now and it's worked for the last couple of beta updates, plus it's the same installer from the original APB release.

If "6 days" is literal and not excessive hyperbole, that was Pando Media Booster's fault. It's a torrent client that by default allows uncapped uploads. If the APB Launcher itself can be used to install APB:R, it should go much faster than that.

Rius on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    It may not have been accurate, but it wasn't really hyperbole. My download speed caps out at about 90kbps no matter what I am doing. I can't watch youtube videos as they load on most days.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    fronttxl.jpg
    backkhw.jpg

I still have it!

Camui on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok Im in for 2 days and most likely premium too.

BigSeb on Joker

was tastypoison back in the day but char migration be damned...

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited May 2011
    Lianne on Joker. Spent a bunch of time in the tutorial zone today to get a decent buffer for when I get horribly stomped in the real instances.

I am terrible at the decal maker. I just want a nice tattoo but everything I come up with looks like shit. I really don't want to deal with the marketplace or anything, I want this free to play game to stay free for me to play dammit.

Aistan on
  • CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you sub once and make your stuff, the stuff you made won't be unequipable or vanish when the time runs out.

Camui on
    edited May 2011
    Hm I hadn't looked at this Armas Marketplace thing before. Not sure I like the idea of having to buy stuff with real money in order to stay competitive.

It's bad enough that items you buy in-game with in-game money vanish after 10 days.

Aistan on
    edited May 2011
    So I played this way too late again. hello old friend. Welcome back.

Will be on the PA vent tonight, hope to see some of you there.

And the weapon rental system is being tried in beta. the talk is it may stay for lower level weapons (its way cheaper and you can taste test weapons) and you own the best stuff which will be astronomically expensive.

mojojoeo on
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't say the armas stuff is any better than the non-premium alternatives, just different. Well, except for the scoped NTEC, that thing is super OP but then how had is it to make an already OP gun even more OP?

but generally they're better in some ways worse in others. for example, the HVR scout is really nice for the mobility, but literally will not kill a person who has clotting agent 3 ever because by the time you refire they have recovered enough health to make it impossible to kill them, where the regular can actually 2 shot a CA3 player.

I think at this point my biggest complaint is that there is one and only one optimal character mod configuration. There currently is no reason not to use clotting agent 3 and happy landings 3. Kevlar Implants are nearly useless and needlessly penalize you with extremely reduced mobility, where CA functionally does the same thing (allowing you to take slightly more damage) but does so without penalty.
    I'd love to see some diversity in the character mods, but every single player I've seen with R>100 run the exact same set up and I'm about to hop on the bandwagon too.

acidlacedpenguin on
    edited May 2011
    I just do not understand how people don't like APB.

Even playing alone, which is by far the worst possible way to do it, I had fun last night. Even when getting steam rolled; Its like... I play games often, it happens... You will get steamrolled @ times in any game... take it and give it back next time or change districts. God knows when 2 days was rolling in full effect and clearing house on an entire district, we made many a crim change districts.

Kitting out and exploding bad guys trumps many of the major complaints for me i suppose.

mojojoeo on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Even playing alone, which is by far the worst possible way to do it, I had fun last night
    . Even when getting steam rolled; Its like... I play games often, it happens... You will get steamrolled @ times in any game... take it and give it back next time or change districts. God knows when 2 days was rolling in full effect and clearing house on an entire district, we made many a crim change districts.

Kitting out and exploding bad guys trumps many of the major complaints for me i suppose.

I dunno, playing alone started out fun (since I seem to be alone on Colby :( ) but now every time my team thinks the appropriate reaction to the enemy team all piling into one vehicle with the briefcase is for everyone to get in their own vehicle and try to ram them to death, running over any of our teamates who try to get into their vehicle, i die a little inside. and that seems to happen every second or third mission

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited May 2011
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Even playing alone, which is by far the worst possible way to do it, I had fun last night
    . Even when getting steam rolled; Its like... I play games often, it happens... You will get steamrolled @ times in any game... take it and give it back next time or change districts. God knows when 2 days was rolling in full effect and clearing house on an entire district, we made many a crim change districts.

I dunno, playing alone started out fun (since I seem to be alone on Colby :( ) but now every time my team thinks the appropriate reaction to the enemy team all piling into one vehicle with the briefcase is for everyone to get in their own vehicle and try to ram them to death, running over any of our teamates who try to get into their vehicle, i die a little inside. and that seems to happen every second or third mission

Playing with PA or a clan fixes that issue pretty well. but yeah.... silly geese are a problem in any team game.

mojojoeo on
    edited May 2011
    I had to upgrade to premium in order to have enough primitives to finish my NCR 1st Recon symbol, so i'll be in the game for at least a month, just to get my money's worth.

Aistan on
    edited May 2011
    Aistan wrote: »
    I had to upgrade to premium in order to have enough primitives to finish my NCR 1st Recon symbol, so i'll be in the game for at least a month, just to get my money's worth.

server? crim/ enforcer?
    game name?

mojojoeo on
    edited May 2011
    Joker/ Enforcer/ Lianne

Aistan on
    edited May 2011
    I'll try to remember not to troll you then.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So it's in Open Beta now? How do I sign up? The website is... a blog =/.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited May 2011
    So unless someone else already has, tomorrow i'll make 2 Days Til Retirement. I'm not sure what all's going on with it so i'll just get it done and if anyone wants to join then great.

This is the main site: http://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/

You have to download the gamersfirst program, then download apb through that, then uninstall pando media booster, then uninstall gamersfirst because who the hell needs it.

Aistan on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm trying to mess around in the tutorial area a bit, PunkBuster keeps kicking me though, saying because it's updating?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like this game as being a nice way to fill in small amounts of time every now and again. That said, missions are a fucking pain in the ass when it's you versus 2 (or three, which is even more fun) enemies. Calling for backup doesn't seem to do much of anything, so it's just five minutes of getting killed over and over. :?

Suriko on
    edited May 2011
    Suriko wrote: »
    I like this game as being a nice way to fill in small amounts of time every now and again. That said, missions are a fucking pain in the ass when it's you versus 2 (or three, which is even more fun) enemies. Calling for backup doesn't seem to do much of anything, so it's just five minutes of getting killed over and over. :?

We were getting 3 on 5's due to high prestige and how well we were doing. Its reasonably balanced as the 5s were mainly noobs- EXCEPT for the fact that some mission layouts are near impossible (highly defend-able-) with even teams. Adding in 2 extra folks makes it so tedious.... one drop point literally we were killing them as fast as they were spawning and they were still streaming in....

My major issues are that the N-tec has no downside... yet. (oca/shotty is shit at range now, and the burst/semi rifles are harse up close....) the Ntec can do all of that.... :/

And matchmaking seems to still be off. and not matching in a similar way as it used to. Running 4's nets you no opposition in many cases... however in the old school game matchmaking would more often paste many randoms together to get you oppo.

Joker / enforcer / bigseb
    Add me.

mojojoeo on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What's the benefit of high prestige? I'm tempted to just go run over a bunch of civvies just to put an end to this bullshit. I'm not even a good player!

Suriko on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Prestige/Notoriety makes your bonuses from missions bigger.

You're also more likely to get missions and APB's

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    edited May 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Prestige/Notoriety makes your bonuses from missions bigger.

You're also more likely to get missions and APB's

Also, and this is the biggie, if you go 5 star and become free for all and finish the mission you are on you all (the whole team) get 3x the mission bonus. And the bonus for free for all kills is nice too.

I think both prestige and mainly threat affect the quality of your competitions.

mojojoeo on
    edited May 2011
    It's sad how criminals are so much more fun to play but (due to the same i would imagine) it's impossible to find opposition with them. On my crim I only get opposed once every 5 or so missions if i'm lucky. Enforcer? every.single.time. And looking at instances there's one or two with a full 50/50 population of each then every other one has maxxed crims and like 15-20 enforcers

taliosfalcon on
    edited May 2011
    Ranking as the major method for determining matchups is rather meaningless at the moment, since you can buy whatever guns you want with real money, regardless of how many contacts you've done.

You might be against four rank 20s with a variety of low level weapons, you might be against four rank 20s with modded NTECs and rank 3 clotting.

Aistan on
    edited May 2011
    I'd love to be able to queue up as backup only such that it will never start a mission for you, only fast track you to jumping in to help missions in progress. I think to work it would need to not be in a group to queue up for backup.

acidlacedpenguin on
    edited May 2011
    Gah, i just saw they want 50$ to own 1 gun permanently..... 10$ more than a big chunk of new release PC titles these days. For one gun...yeah...i'm sure they're going to make a lot of sales of that one o_O

taliosfalcon on
    edited May 2011
    Well, it's one gun, but the empty three slot version so you can customize it however you like. I suspect they're trying to find out how many people are going to bite at that price for a gun that isn't very popular.

Probably not very many, but it'll give them some idea of what dollar value to offer up the weapons that are actually popular.

Rius on
    edited May 2011
    I dunno I might bite on a $50 perm gun, but only because during closed beta they had this promo where they'd refund 100% of your purchases at armas and let you keep the item for its full time so I got a shitload of premium membership and character slots for free, effectively lowering the actual cost.

I think it would have to be the colby CSG20 for me to want it, that thing is original gangsta.

acidlacedpenguin on