As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ROCK BAND] Old thread. Use new one, nerds.

1565758596062»

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One other thing for many of you on the market for an amp for a first time. One option would be a multi fx pedal such as the Korg AX1500, many of them will feature a headphone out. So if you were looking for something to just use for practice, it's an option and would work with whatever amp you bought further down the line. Just a though.

Rock lobster stupid as in bad or stupid good? Haven't played it yet.

Edit reading failure, just now saw the word FUN. Will have to check it out.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    alright, which one of you in here is "hylianbunny" in the stream chat and took off before I could invite you?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FyreWulff: Not me :P

Phyphor: Yes. Lots of trouble, especially at first and using my pinky was absolutely how I managed it in the beginning. I figured that was soemthing that would come back to haunt me though so I started forcing myself to make the reach and while it still takes a noticable toll in a pretty short period of time it's gotten a lot better.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    FyreWulff: Not me :P

Phyphor: Yes. Lots of trouble, especially at first and using my pinky was absolutely how I managed it in the beginning. I figured that was soemthing that would come back to haunt me though so I started forcing myself to make the reach and while it still takes a noticable toll in a pretty short period of time it's gotten a lot better.

Want to get used to your pinky?

Play the f major scale this way

1-3-5
    1-3-5
    2-3-5
    2-3-5
    3-5-6
    3-5-6

Finger wise index, ring, pinky (1-3-5) index middle pinky (2-3-5) index ring pinky (3-5-6)

Alternatively try these two

5-8
    5-7
    5-7
    5-7
    5-8
    5-8

Get bluesy by adding bends and blues notes

5-8
    5-6-7
    5-7
    5-7-8
    5-8
    5-8-9

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    alright, which one of you in here is "hylianbunny" in the stream chat and took off before I could invite you?

I think that's a forum screenname.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tommatt wrote: »
    One other thing for many of you on the market for an amp for a first time. One option would be a multi fx pedal such as the Korg AX1500, many of them will feature a headphone out. So if you were looking for something to just use for practice, it's an option and would work with whatever amp you bought further down the line. Just a though.

Rock lobster stupid as in bad or stupid good? Haven't played it yet.

Edit reading failure, just now saw the word FUN. Will have to check it out.

I'd recommend against this unless the FX pedal has built in amp modeling. FX pedals direct tend to sound very digital and like ass without some sort of speaker emulation going on.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why you gotta play so god damn late, Fyre?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really need to find a song on this game with a good solo that easily translates over to guitar. I just can't get the simple man one to sound anything like it.

Are you playing in the right tuning/doing the bends right?

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks I'll have to try that out when I get home, Tommatt

The biggest issue I'm having is getting my ring+pinky to stretch as far as they need to and still have a reasonable amount of control. I mean I can do it, and how long I can keep it up has been getting noticably better over time but it still definitely wears my hand out.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, I'd like to pick up a squier, so where's the best place to do that? Usually I only see them on Amazon.

ringswraith on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Endaro wrote: »
    I really need to find a song on this game with a good solo that easily translates over to guitar. I just can't get the simple man one to sound anything like it.

Right tuning, working on getting the bends where they go. Right now the part that just sounds horrible is near the beginning when it goes 5-7 7+8(strings 2 and 3). The rest even when I'm off I can get it to sound some what right, but that whole beginning part of the solo always just sounds completely wrong.

I totally rocked the solo from I wanna be sedated on the real guitar the other night. I think I'm ready to play in front of millions 8)

Oh and that korg pedal I mentiones does have amp modeling. I was just thinking instead of blowing $100 on an amp thatd last you a year, you could blow it on a pedal with a headphone out jack, and it'll work with what you buy in the future. I dont know its a great suggestion, I've always had a shitty practice amp. But I think back and I was using headphones a good 80% of the time.

We should get more details on the ozzy pack today or tomorrow right?

Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, I'd like to pick up a squier, so where's the best place to do that? Usually I only see them on Amazon.

Online is probably your best bet honestly

In the US I think Best Buy is the only place that carries it and whether or not a given store actually seems like it's pretty far from a given.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In Canada, Axe Music carries them.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Right tuning, working on getting the bends where they go. Right now the part that just sounds horrible is near the beginning when it goes 5-7 7+8(strings 2 and 3). The rest even when I'm off I can get it to sound some what right, but that whole beginning part of the solo always just sounds completely wrong.

I totally rocked the solo from I wanna be sedated on the real guitar the other night. I think I'm ready to play in front of millions 8)

Oh and that korg pedal I mentiones does have amp modeling. I was just thinking instead of blowing $100 on an amp thatd last you a year, you could blow it on a pedal with a headphone out jack, and it'll work with what you buy in the future. I dont know its a great suggestion, I've always had a shitty practice amp. But I think back and I was using headphones a good 80% of the time.

We should get more details on the ozzy pack today or tomorrow right?

At the same time, for practice purposes you really ought to be using a clean channel anyway. At that point the plethora of effects is meaningless.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In Canada, Axe Music carries them.

That's where I got mine

Phyphor on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

One thing to keep in mind is that the Pro chart doesn't give any indication to the bend or its characteristics, so if you are supposed to bend the 17th fret to the tone of the 19th it will just say "17" in game. This leaves you out of the loop if you're just going off the pro-chart, it doesn't compensate with hammer-ons.

You can often still figure it out, as you know the string/fret to bend and most bends are two semitones, however this is not always the case. The bend in question at the beginning (if I remember correctly), is a bend on one string while not bending another, which can be kinda tricky. Take a look around at some tabs, preferably protabs/guitarpro tabs that you can listen to and judge the quality of. Find one that matches how you hear the song and go off of that.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

One thing to keep in mind is that the Pro chart doesn't give any indication to the bend or its characteristics, so if you are supposed to bend the 17th fret to the tone of the 19th it will just say "17" in game. This leaves you out of the loop if you're just going off the pro-chart, it doesn't compensate with hammer-ons.

You can often still figure it out, as you know the string/fret to bend and most bends are two semitones, however this is not always the case. The bend in question at the beginning (if I remember correctly), is a bend on one string while not bending another, which can be kinda tricky. Take a look around at some tabs, preferably protabs/guitarpro tabs that you can listen to and judge the quality of. Find one that matches how you hear the song and go off of that.

* edit* added spoiler tag. Also, from the conversations we've had here, I bet HMX could put out a nice press release with quotes on learning real instruments due to game. I hope they stay alive and thrive. Back to the post /edit

Yeah I've been doing the bends for the most part. Most of them are easy to figure out, although I know there's some I'm missing. I looked briefly at a few tabs, but haven't got too much of a chance to work on it (accousroc mainly. Higher frets are hard :p ) but I've been working on that 7-8 bend. And not beig able to do that (and it comes up again up higher) really throws it all off.

Funny though, practicing the 0-2-3 5^7 (bend to 7) has made it so I hit the hammer on in game 100% of the time now. I used to have my timing off.

Unfortunately I haven't messed around with it on my electric lately (and with the tab. But again a lot of the bends are easy to recognize. The simple little 17-20 bending to 21 run sounds awesome :D ) as I changed out the strings on my LP and now have a buzz around fret 14 on my 6th string. Pisses me off when I hear it. Taking it to my friends dad this weekend during a BBQ. He used to be a big LP guy before falling in love with fenders about 10 years ago.

I'm so sad im going out of town for a week for work. I've been putting a good 8 hours or so a week (waaaaay more a while ago) of pro guitar, and at least 1-2 hours a day to the guitar messing around with scales, soloing, learning riffs to songs, etc... I'm going to be lost. Maybe I'll get a big book on theory and confuse myself :)

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just Ozzy.
    hmxhenry wrote:
    Hey gang!

As announced in the Game Informer interview last month (you know, the one that broke the news on all the huge artists we've seen as DLC these past few weeks), we're releasing an Ozzy 8 pack of classic metal DLC next week!

The Ozzy Osbourne 8-Pack will include classics from the recently re-released Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of A Madman, including “Mr. Crowley”, “Diary of a Madman” and “Over the Mountain”. Fans who purchase the pack will also be able to play “Bark at the Moon” and “Mama, I’m Coming Home”, both of which are only available as part of the pack, and both of which include built-in Pro Guitar/Bass upgrades at no additional cost.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation®3 system (May 31):

• “Bark at the Moon” X (available only as part of the 8-pack)
    • “Diary of a Madman”
    • “Flying High Again”
    • “I Don’t Know”
    • “Mama, I’m Coming Home” X (available only as part of the 8-pack)
    • “Mr. Crowley” X
    • “Over the Mountain”
    • “Steal Away (The Night)”

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system June 1)

These tracks will be available for purchase as “Ozzy Osbourne 8-Pack” and as individual tracks on Xbox 360, PlayStation®3 system and Wii. Tracks marked with “X” have optional Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions available.

Price:

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song
    $2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song
    $13.49, £6.69 UK, €9.99 EU (1080 Microsoft Points, 1350 Wii Points) for Ozzy Osbourne 8-Pack

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    RBN on 360:
    hmxhenry wrote:
    Here's the Rock Band Netwrok tracks that came out this past week, now with even more information! Recent discussion threads on the forums and Twitter have suggested adding genre and pricing info, both of which are now included with the announcements.

Hopefully this further educates people on the awesome content (of all genres) coming out through RBN every week. If you have any further suggestions feel free to add them to the discussion thread or give us a shout on Twitter!

Indie Rock

Killbody Tuning - "Bamberg" (160 MSP)
    Killbody Tuning - "Marker of Change" (160 MSP)

Metal

Amberian Dawn - "My Only Star" (160 MSP)
    Blackguard - "This Round's On Me" (160 MSP)
    Indestructible Noise Command - "Rain" (160 MSP)
    Winds of Plague - "California" (160 MSP)

Pop/Dance/Electronic

Aesthetic Perfection - "The Devil's in the Details" (160 MSP)
    Magnus 'SoulEye' Pålsson - "Pressure Cooker" (80 MSP)

Pop-Rock

Rose of Jericho - "Midnight Eyes (RB3 Version)" (80 MSP)

Prog

Rishloo - "Turning Sheep Into Goats/Systematomatic" (80 MSP)
    Tetrafusion - "Last Chance" (160 MSP)

Rock

Nonpoint - "Crazy" (160 MSP)

Same shtick about PSN. 'Whenever...'

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So they went ahead and did it. Interesting tidbit for us poor PS3 owners:

So the store will be up this Tuesday?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Guess I'm not getting Bark at the Moon then....oh well. Still going to grab a few of the singles though.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So they went ahead and did it. Interesting tidbit for us poor PS3 owners:

So the store will be up this Tuesday?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Keep in mind that most of what that release is is a copy/paste document with a few gaps available for information that changes on a weekly basis. Like dates and prices. If everything was fine otherwise, that date would be correct. Since PSN stores are down, the answer is the same as it is for RBN stuff. 'Whenever...'

Also, there had been talk about the pack being discounted. So of course the people who were already planning to buy the whole thing began to assume that would mean a massive discount to encourage people to buy the whole thing. The reality is that the 'discount' is getting the Pro guitar charts for the two embedded songs for 'free'.

Four of those other songs had better be damned amazing or I'm not touching this bullshit.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well...I can vouch for I Don't Know. Saw Ozzy perform it live a couple of months ago and it was awesome.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well...I can vouch for I Don't Know. Saw Ozzy perform it live a couple of months ago and it was awesome.

I don't take anybody's word for anything. Especially not music. I'll give them a listen when they come out next week and make my final decision. But it's simply not looking good. I know that I'd have for sure bought the two exclusives. But paying $13.50 for two songs is not what I'd ever recommend to anybody.

If you look into the 'official' discussion thread (which is actually a two week old thread where people were discussing the whole leak-to-announcement of it all) you'll find that the people who would've bought the whole thing are the ones who don't care about the bundling. Some even suggested that it's stupid for people to only want the two songs because if they like those, then they should like them all.

'Fuck you, I got mine!'* is a terrible basis for an opinion.

*No, I don't think this is what you're doing. But for a group of people that collectively shit themselves at the thought that singles with Pro might be more expensive to now say that they're fine with forced bundling this time is, quite frankly, full of shit. 'I was going to buy it anyway' isn't convincing to folks who weren't.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SponkSponk boglinus minimus Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm a pretty big Ozzy fan, so I am definitely biased, but the only song on that list that isn't considered an iconic Ozzy classic is Steal Away the night. That's the only song from the rumored list I was hoping they wasn't right.

I'd been considering picking up the last Ozzy pack recently so I'm glad I heard of this announcement before I went through with the purchase. This is a much better representation of classic Ozzy songs. I'll be picking up this pack for sure.

Sponk on
    LIVE ID: sponk81
    wii code: 8041-7562-5268-4264
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen