As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW]Druid Thread: Open

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited June 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Druid Thread: Open
druidt2.jpg

druidt6.png

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Notes for 4.2 (PTR)

Druids

-Druids now gain 1 attack power per point of Strength, down from 2. They continue to gain 2 attack power per point of Agility while in Cat Form or Bear Form.
    -Entangling Roots and the equivalent spell triggered by Nature's Grasp no longer deal damage.
    -Ferocious Bite damage has been increased by 15%. In addition, its base cost has been reduced to 25 energy and it can use up to 25 energy, for up to a 100% damage increase.
    -Innervate now grants an ally target 5% of his or her maximum mana over 10 seconds, but still grants 20% of the druid's maximum mana over 10 seconds when self-cast.
    -Mangle (Cat) damage at level 80 and above has been increased to 530% weapon damage, up from 460%.
    -Omen of Clarity clearcasting buff from now lasts 15 seconds, up from 8 seconds.
    -Ravage damage at level 80 and above has been increased to 975% weapon damage, up from 850%.
    -Shred damage at level 80 and above has been increased to 520% weapon damage, up from 450%.
    -Swipe (Cat) now deals 600% weapon damage at level 80 or higher, down from 670%.

Talent Specializations

Balance

-Earth and Moon's duration has been increased to 15 seconds, up from 12.
    -Fungal Growth spell visual effect has been updated to be less visually intrusive and more aesthetic.
    -Lunar Shower has been redesigned. When casting Moonfire, the druid gains Lunar Shower. Lunar Shower increases the direct damage done by Moonfire by 15/30/45%, and reduces the mana cost by 10/20/30%. This effect stacks up to 3 times and lasts 3 seconds. While under the effects of Lunar Shower, Moonfire generates 8 Solar Energy, and Sunfire generates 8 Lunar Energy. The amount of Lunar/Solar Energy gained does not change based on the number of points spent in the talent, or stacks of Lunar Shower. Those druids who wish to delay transition in or out of an Eclipse state should now cast the one of their two basic attacks which will not move the Eclipse bar (either Starfire or Wrath).
    -Solar Beam has a new spell effect.
    -Wild Mushroom: Detonate can now also trigger Earth and Moon, in addition to Starfire and Wrath.

Restoration

-Symbiosis (Mastery) has been removed and replaced with Harmony. Harmony increases direct healing by an additional 10%, and casting direct healing spells grants an additional 10% bonus to periodic healing for 10 seconds. Each point of mastery increases each bonus by an additional 1.25%. Healing Touch, Nourish, Swiftmend, and the initial heal from Regrowth are considered direct healing spells for the purposes of this Mastery. All other healing from druid spells is considered periodic.

Glyphs

-Glyph of Berserk duration increase is now 10 seconds, up from 5.
    -Glyph of Innervate now causes the druid to gain 10% of his or her maximum mana over 10 seconds when Innervate is used on a friendly target, in addition to Innervate's base effect.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rorus you're not even playing what the heck

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited May 2011
    WoW updates so slowly that I could leave for a year and still be on top of things.

But seriously, I'm watching the 4.2 PTR and seeing if I want to resub for Fireland Fun Time.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited May 2011
    So now warlocks can combat rez, and it's free since it's via the soulstone item.

Can the Rebirth be instant cast now?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rebirth still has a cast but it's also the best one to use since it's the only one that can rez at full health and in 10 mans where you only get one per attempt that can mean the difference between it being useful and not.

Opty on
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I mostly want to be able to cast rebirth without having to shift out of bear form.

Grape Ape on
  • RabidNerdRabidNerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I tried 2 of the dungeon things after I got to level 15 but my druid is feral. Talents are Feral Swiftness 2 and Furor 2. Now both times I ended up being the healer. The first raid no one died at any point but at the second the tank died once and whined about my talents being wrong for being a healer.

Now should I respec or whatever? If yes what Talents do I need to pick? Id say that dungeons are a lot more fun than just questing...

RabidNerd on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you don't really need to worry about what spec you are until level 30 or so. Having 3-4 points in resto instead of feral won't help you heal that much better.

that being said if you'd rather not heal just uncheck the heal box

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's not the 3-4 talent points in feral instead of resto that would make him heal much better; it's the huge benefits of passive +healing and +regen in addition to Swiftmend just from specing resto that would make him a lot better for healing. But yes, he should probably just not queue as a healer until 30 when he can train a resto offspec.

forty on
    edited May 2011
    Fuck, lost my post. Abridged version:

New bear changes on 4.2 PTR:

Bears get 6% more passive damage reduction to ALL damage (this includes magic).
    Bear attack scaling has changed: they'll do more damage (threat) at lower gear levels, but scale up on damage more slowly from getting better gear.

One thing that wasn't clarified yet but that I suspect will be due to forum "feedback" is at about what gear level Blizzard expects bears will "break even" on damage before and after 4.2 hits. Like will these changes only be felt as a nerf to people loaded in heroic T11 gear? Or will this only be a nerf for T12 and beyond?

Either way, it's bound to be a nice buff to bears doing heroics or normal mode raiding right now.

forty on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The damage reduction is great and (imo) long overdue, especially WRT magic damage. I'm tired of getting smashed by flame's orders, then watching my DK counterpart just laugh at it.

My assumption was that they were trying to make current bears more or less the same, and that the issue was firelands+ gear causing our damage to increase too quickly. I guess it probably does represent a nerf to currently heroic-geared bears, though.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kitties are getting a fairly nice buff to damage.
    Which is funny considering the recent past.

I chuckle.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited May 2011
    Because they will unplug the servers before making PvP distinctions with skills.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What is a good resto spec for healing heroics and 10 man raids?

Bikkstah on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bikkstah wrote: »

I think that this is a good starting point and you can adjust after you play with it.

So are we still Int > SP > Spirit > Haste > Mastery > Crit for the most part as Resto?

troublebrewing on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I think that this is a good starting point and you can adjust after you play with it.

So are we still Int > SP > Spirit > Haste > Mastery > Crit for the most part as Resto?

Yah

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BoomguinBoomguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I'm thinking about going Kitteh from Moonkin for le'deeps.

Is this wise, or the dumbest move I've ever made?

Boomguin on
    I'm a heavy lurker.
    edited June 2011
    Are you talking for raids? Or 5-mans or what? If you're not raiding, either spec is just fine. If you're talking raiding and I'm assuming you don't want the "play whatever you like, everything is pretty balanced" answer:

Moonkin is a better choice, at least as of right now, due to the nature of melee vs. ranged. The only exception would be if your raid group already has plenty of ranged DPS specs, and you switching would still leave your raid with more ranged than melee. Also, it would be preferable if your raid group already has at least one other person collecting/using int leather and no one using agi leather, so the switch allows you to have fewer wasted drops and less competition for needed drops.

It's also worth mentioning that until 4.2, moonkin are straight up capable of higher DPS than cats. 4.2 is nerfing moonkin and buffing cats, though, so I imagine the gap between them will be tiny or reversed soon. The advantages of ranged still apply, though.

Edit: There are possible considerations for raid buff Tetris, but we'd need to know more about your situation.

forty on
  • DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Yah

Once you start to Purple It Up (i.e., once you start doing Zulroics, for example):
    You'll want to jiggle the stat weight on those so that you start to approach a haste rating of 2035 (or only 2005 if you want to rely on the 5% haste buff from 'kin, SPiests, or Shaman).

This is because hitting that break point gives you a whole free tick on WildGrowth, which is a very large buff to healing done. Further, there are good perks on the way, such as 916 giving another Rejuvenation tick.

What it becomes then is something sort of like:

Int/SP >/= Haste (until 2005/2035) > Spirit > Mastery > Crit

In other words, point for point, haste is as valuable as Int until you get to the breakpoint of 2005/2035.

But honestly? You'll do great even if you don't worry about all that and if you just use the weights offered by the posters above. This is just one of those huge epeen/min-max kinda things that you can focus on once you're starting to finesse your gear. :)

Edit: Hell, if you try going for the break point BEFORE you have enough int/spirit you'll run out of mana so quickly it'll make your head spin... so definitely wait until you're starting to select upgrades that are at or near 353/359 ilevel.

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Trying to convince other resto druid that haste > mastery.

Additionally I'm also having a hard time explaining to her that she should not blow both of her 2 cool downs at the same time, but rather spread them out for greater hps over time and more reliability.

She's pushing 60% overhealing.

But she was a guild master before joining us and is horribly set in her ways.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Well, haste is uniquely better than mastery for us because:

Haste improves:
    Reaction speed for casting the spells
    Reactive hps for the hots ticking away
    Mana efficiency from extra ticks

Mastery only improves:
    Reactive hps for the hots ticking away
    Mana efficiency from larger hot ticks

That's the simple explanation. The longer one, as you know, is that we have precious few reactive healing spells, so our hots have to hit quickly and hard (which is different from times past, say ICC, when we wanted harder hitting ticks spread out over longer durations of time). In essence, Cataclysm is a completely different healing style because they took away any kind of reactive direct heal we had (unless you'd like to go oom in 5 casts from Regrowth).

What cool downs is she blowing?

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
    edited June 2011
    What cool downs is she blowing?

Always goes tree+tranq at the same time. It might be a ton of HPS but that's not how healing works. The job is to keep people alive, not put out as big of numbers as you can. Keep in mind her obscene over healing.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Well that and she had a resto druid slime heal on h chimeron over a paladin so there's that for you to.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Well that and she had a resto druid slime heal on h chimeron over a paladin so there's that for you to.

That's a great way to give a RDruid a nervous breakdown.

I kinda like the Tree-Tranq on chim's system failure massacre simply because it helps pump a lot of HPS into the tank at the same time. I don't do it, personally, but if your tank healer is struggling, it's a great way to help out.

DrHookenstein on
    edited June 2011

That's a great way to give a RDruid a nervous breakdown.

I kinda like the Tree-Tranq on chim's system failure massacre simply because it helps pump a lot of HPS into the tank at the same time. I don't do it, personally, but if your tank healer is struggling, it's a great way to help out.

I think she assigned it to me just out of spite tbh. She's not the regular healing lead though so whatever.

We actually typically run 2 resto druid and a boomkin so we can rotate a tranq on every feud, making the tree-tranq over kill. Its better to rotate the cooldowns, having tree on one and tranq on the next.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    And a holy paladin is really masterful on chimeron slime heals with WoG and Holy Shock.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    And a holy paladin is really masterful on chimeron slime heals with WoG and Holy Shock.

QFT.

DrHookenstein on
    edited June 2011
    Shamans also make good slime healers. I'm not sure where priests lie. I'd suspect holy priests are decent for it while disc priests probably aren't since shields are useless for that aspect of the fight. At worst they'd be just as bad at it as resto druids are, though.

forty on
    edited June 2011
    I've heard good things about disc priests? But I agree with you, forty, I just don't see how that's possible.

DrHookenstein on
    edited June 2011
    Disc priests are great for the Mortality phase of Chimaeron on heroic difficulty. The raid gets a DoT that can't be removed, and obviously there's no healing in that phase, but shields are still effective, so a disc priest can spam PWS and keep people alive a lot longer if you didn't transition with everyone topped off.

He can also wait until the person with aggro takes a hit, drops to 1 health, then immediately PWS so that the DoT doesn't finish them off. This forces Chim to waste another 4-5 seconds taking a swing at that person instead of them dying to the DoT and him gibbing another person. The difference between having a priest and not having one on heroic is pretty significant.

Edit: And of course their cooldowns are both really helpful on this fight. Power Word Barrier on the raid during Feuds is great, and being able to Pain Suppression a tank if they're out of cooldowns is critical.

forty on
    edited June 2011
    Huh, well, that makes sense. Wish we had a Disc Priest to bring along, now. :(

DrHookenstein on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah a good disc priest trivializes phase 2.

I've heard that a spirit link totem can really help phase 2 as well as its "healing" isn't effected by mortality.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Yup, spirit link works to buy some time, although it only lasts 10 seconds and you need to have a couple people pile on the tank for it.

forty on
  • ArkasArkas Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm a bit late to the party here, but I thought I'd point out that if you aren't actually hitting a haste breakpoint, haste is pretty weak.

It's 916 for the first big breakpoint, then 2005 for the second one (though if you know you'll have DI, it's 1573).

If you're anywhere in the middle, you're better off reforging the extra haste off into mastery, down to the 916 mark.

Also it's harder than you'd think to hit 2005, especially if you're not an alchemist or don't have helm/gloves(/chest/legs) as your set pieces, with the haste shoulders as your offset. I'm using the helm from Atramedes at the moment and I can't get past 1330ish reforging, so I'm just sitting in the 900s for now.

Arkas on
    edited June 2011
    I can't say for sure with the new Mastery coming up, but haste pre-breakpoint might be decent if you're on tank duty.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Should change the title tag to "Hot Pussy(cat)."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpuVCyjyUlM&feature=player_embedded

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I will be very annoyed if they don't add something in for bear druids on that, even though I fully expect them not to.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited June 2011
    It's based on Staghelm's forms. There's no bear, but...maybe fire scorpion tank?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fire scorpion tank would be perfectly acceptable to me, at least.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited June 2011
    So... can anyone explain why Starsurge damage was REDUCED in 4.1 by 21%, if they were planning on INCREASING Wrath and Starfire damage by 23% in 4.2?

Those seem like inconsistent positions...

DrHookenstein on
This discussion has been closed.