As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SPACE MARINE - In the grim darkness of the future, there are only BIG MEN

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are Space Marine's in the canon sent out in the same 4 man teams as the dev diaries say your team is?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Deathwatch Kill Teams are.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At this point, the WH40k canon has been rewritten, adjusted, overruled, retconned, changed, reorganized, dismembered, gutted, fractured and divided up so frequently that there is essentially no canon, just an unending series of interpretations around the same general concepts. I've seen fluff where Space Marines fight alone, where they fight in no less than a legion together, where Orks fight alongside Eldar and Eldar fight alongside Tyranids and Tyranids fight alongside Necrons who are allied with the Eldar who betrayed the Space Marines because their Imperial Guard friends were killed by other Imperial Guard who used to be part of a traitor legion which has now repented and is a brand new Space Marines chapter.

Don't ask 'this thing depicted in this game, is it canon?'. Because the answer today and for every day as long as the 40k license exists, it will be 'well yes and no'.

The_Scarab on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In general, the only real rule that applies is the one that says "Does this make it cool?"

subedii on
    edited May 2011
    Can you imagine a Left 4 Dead -esque game with four marines on a Tyranid world? I mean there are counterparts already for the boomer, spitter, jockey and a few of the uncommons, not to mention hordes of gaunts ripe and ready. That would be pretty fuckin' great.

The_Scarab on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Can you imagine a Left 4 Dead -esque game with four marines on a Tyranid world? I mean there are counterparts already for the boomer, spitter, jockey and a few of the uncommons, not to mention hordes of gaunts ripe and ready. That would be pretty fuckin' great.

can't wait for the Terminator melee column strategy

all four Terminators, clipping through each other in a corner, meleeing wildly

MrDelish on
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I would be surprised if we don't see some nids in this game, which seems like it would basically be what you're asking for. Maybe not so much of the survival-horror tone, but still.

Supraluminal on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It would also work as a Space Hulk game. Granted, if this game is a success a sequel would most likely have at the least a level set on one.

Turkey on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Codex Astartes recommends 10 units in a Space Marine squad. This squad is can be further broken up into two groups of 5. The Ultramarines are particularly rigid adherents to the Codex, so they wouldn't act differently without reason.

However there are a number of reasons why you'd see squads of 4. If you're a member of a planet or other faction trying to get Space Marine help, you'll get as many space marines as you can cajole, strong arm, or bribe out of them. If you're the Adeptus Mechanicus fighting a chaos incursion you can get a whole company. If you're some backwater shithole worried about pirates, you'll get two guys and shutup and be thankful for that.

zerg rush on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    It would also work as a Space Hulk game. Granted, if this game is a success a sequel would most likely have at the least a level set on one.

For all we know the current game might have one. Those Orks had to arrive on something!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was just happy to catch some glimpses of the REAL heroes, the imperial guard. You know the ones who are going to do all the real work while you muck about playing with orks.

Detharin on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Adepta_Sororitas_by_FirstKeeper.jpg

Good sister illustration.

That imperial guard up there is a very good rendition. I approve.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't help but feel like they created the Sisters cause they knew Warhammer nerds needed something to whack off to.

Am I being too jaded and cynical?

Delta Assault on
    edited May 2011
    zerg rush wrote: »
    If you're some backwater shithole worried about pirates, you'll get two guys and shutup and be thankful for that.

Brothers of the Snake actually does that. The introduction chapter is the story of the main character, straight out of his initiation, being the one marine sent to a backwater planet. Turns out that's all you need sometimes.

@Delta - You're half right. They were made to bring females into the hobby. They were made hot for W40k nerds to whack off. :)

Turkey on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Adepta_Sororitas_by_FirstKeeper.jpg

Good sister illustration.

That imperial guard up there is a very good rendition. I approve.

Armor's too light. :P Beyond that, nice.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited May 2011
    Probably are being jaded and cynical.

Cause GW didn't need to create the Sisters in order for us Warhammer nerds to wank off to something. We do that every time they release a new model and/or codex.

Especially when Forgeworld releases a new model.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's scary when fan art is better than real art,

attachment.php?attachmentid=648076&stc=1&d=1239872194

And yeah, Space Marine looks great. I just hope we see Tyranids at some point in DLC or the sequel. Doesn't look like they made it into this one.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And yeah, Space Marine looks great. I just hope we see Tyranids at some point in DLC or the sequel. Doesn't look like they made it into this one.

Tyranids would kind of be a no-brainer since they're using Ultramarines, the signature anti-Tyranid legion. But we haven't seen any in any gameplay videos, just Orks and Chaos.

Probably holding back on them until the sequel, like they did with Dawn of War.

Delta Assault on
    edited May 2011
    Which is a shame, since they were in an earlier build.

Who knows? Maybe they'll show up and surprise us all, but I'm not holding my breath.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited May 2011
    Its going to be a bundle pack.

All new Nid campaign with Terminator Armor and weapons.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is the only image of what a Sister of Battle is to me

24o0ih1.jpg

A battlehardened crazyperson with scars from countless battles, ready and willing to burn anyone and anything with jets of holy fire

unfortunately a lot of fan art is basically some anime girl with white hair instead

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's scary when fan art is better than real art,

attachment.php?attachmentid=648076&stc=1&d=1239872194

Such a gorgeous piece of art there. As much as I am indifferent to the Blood Angels, Sanguinius was always such a bad ass.

Anon the Felon on
  • SoundProofingSoundProofing Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Plus, Space Marines are orders of magnitude more badass. I mean seriously, they never lose. If they are coming close to losing, they destroy the entire planet, which is a win.

Gears of War spends three games looking at one skirmish on a backwater, nothing planet involving hundreds of combatants. Meanwhile over here in the 40k universe, millions are killed every minute in a pan-galactic everwar with utterly no end in sight.

The Imperium doesn't even bother deploying more troops if the planet is not valuable enough to retake intact. They just spew virus bombs and vortex torpedoes. The logic of 40K while strange to us is perfectly logical when humanity numbers in the trillions and every new species of alien discovered wants to devour your heart. To me 40K only make sense in a shooter style videogame. Life is cheap, bolter ammo is expensive...

SoundProofing on
    edited May 2011
    dakkadakkadakkadakka!

2j3k783.jpg

MORE DAKKA

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Who'd win between a Space Marine and a Canoness? Hypothetically.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited May 2011
    The Space Marines always wins. They have the advantage of plot armor and huge toy sales

For example, there is a story of a single space marine basically murdering an entire company of dark eldar

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Zzulu wrote: »
    unfortunately a lot of fan art is basically some anime girl with white hair instead

HERESY.jpg

Edit: Sanguinus was indeed a bad ass. That art is of him holding the gate leading to the Emperor's crib by his lonesome against everything Horus could get packed into the area.

When he said "None Shall Pass." you might as well nuke the site from orbit because you aren't getting any troops through there.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Space Marines always wins. They have the advantage of plot armor and huge toy sales

For example, there is a story of a single space marine basically murdering an entire company of dark eldar

Conversely, there is a story were a couple squads board a Dark Eldar ship and almost get killed to a man, with one marine escaping after killing the Vect (leader), being hunted by the rest of the DE as he tries to escape.

Anon the Felon on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Ov course you lot realize, DIS MEANS WAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Grimthwacker on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Which is a shame, since they were in an earlier build.

Who knows? Maybe they'll show up and surprise us all, but I'm not holding my breath.

Screenshots please.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • SoundProofingSoundProofing Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like that that IG lady in the screenshot above doesn't have ridiculous boob armor. I mean it might be marginally more convex than the usual stuff (or not? would have to find a male guardsman to compare), but it obviously doesn't compare to those Sisters of Battle. :P

I always felt the Sisters of Battle were the spiritual and stylistic counterparts of Space Marines without the genetic engineering. They are supposed to be larger than life, incorruptible servants of the Emperor. Scars, boob adorned power armor(It makes me laugh to think that Sister Power Armor could be the 40K equivalent of a push up bra, the boobs might actually be an armor laden glacis crafted for style) and big flamers are all part of their separation from your average female IG or Adeptus Arbites grunt.

That said, I too think it makes sense. There's nothing that says there is no women in the Imperial Guard. As far as including female front line soldiers, Relic is better off including a Sister of Battle in an expansion or sequel. That would be cool.

SoundProofing on
    edited May 2011
    It's darn near impossible to find the trailer, but at E3 there was an extended press trailer which showed the Imperial Titan firing at, amongst other things, a Carnifex off in the distance.

However, it seems like Chaos has replaced the nids as the secondary army.

Edit: Well, maybe not so impossible, but the quality is atrocious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWj3cI9pAdQ&feature=related

You can't make it out well in this video, but I saw an HD rip myself. The Carnifex is just a black lumbering blob at about 3:37 and is backlit by the Titans guns for a second or so.

Like I said, since it's as hard to find as bigfoot, they've probably been removed, unless it's a surprise.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited May 2011
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
    SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE
    MILK FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES

Turkey on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's darn near impossible to find the trailer, but at E3 there was an extended press trailer which showed the Imperial Titan firing at, amongst other things, a Carnifex off in the distance.

However, it seems like Chaos has replaced the nids as the secondary army.

Edit: Well, maybe not so impossible, but the quality is atrocious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWj3cI9pAdQ&feature=related

You can't make it out well in this video, but I saw an HD rip myself. The Carnifex is just a black lumbering blob at about 3:37 and is backlit by the Titans guns for a second or so.

Like I said, since it's as hard to find as bigfoot, they've probably been removed, unless it's a surprise.

It doesn't get much more warhammery than a Warboss fighting a space marine with a thunderhammer in melee, during a nuclear blast

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
    SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE
    MILK FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES

IS THE MILK BLOOD? AND THE FLAKES SKULLS?

Casual on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Plus, Space Marines are orders of magnitude more badass. I mean seriously, they never lose. If they are coming close to losing, they destroy the entire planet, which is a win.

Gears of War spends three games looking at one skirmish on a backwater, nothing planet involving hundreds of combatants. Meanwhile over here in the 40k universe, millions are killed every minute in a pan-galactic everwar with utterly no end in sight.

The Imperium doesn't even bother deploying more troops if the planet is not valuable enough to retake intact. They just spew virus bombs and vortex torpedoes. The logic of 40K while strange to us is perfectly logical when humanity numbers in the trillions and every new species of alien discovered wants to devour your heart. To me 40K only make sense in a shooter style videogame. Life is cheap, bolter ammo is expensive...

To me these seem like misconceptions. It's a VERY big thing for the Imperium to order Exterminatus on a planet, and they only do it in the worst case scenarios, if they can't take back a world, even if it isn't super important, they'll just keep trying. They might ignore it for a while until more important stuff is taken care of first though. As for the aliens, that's really just the official perception of aliens in 40k, most of the main alien races are generally hostile (with Tau being the least hostile but still expansionist) there are tons and tons of lesser races that don't usually get mentioned that run the gamut from just as evil and violent as orks, to fairly common mercenary and trading partner to the Imperium, even though it isn't technically sanctioned unless they smell something tricky, Imperial forces hiring Xenos mercenaries and trading with aliens is generally ignored. Hell, sometimes the Imperium even hires Orks! Generally the Blood Axes, but other groups as well.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited May 2011
    Why haven't they released that full 4 minute trailer it's hot.

The_Scarab on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Bjorn

Holy shit, I need to google my name more.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.