As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My landlord is a pig.

Rosey1017Rosey1017 Registered User new member
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently moved into a house that us shared by 4 other tenants and the landlady. The landlady is a pig. She cooks bacon 10 pounds at a time, doesn't clean the stove and leaves both the pan, utensils and grease around for days at a time.

My room is off the kitchen. The garbage can is at the entrance to my room. The stench from the can permeates into my room. So I move the can. She moves it back and reminds me it is her house. S I tel her that the garbage bag needs to be removed every day. She says no.

There are ants in the house, my room, the kitchen the bathroom. I told her to get rid of them and she says it is because of he weather. It isn't because she leaves food around unwrapped.

Question. Can I move out and ask FR my security deposit back because to me the place is uninhabitable?

Rosey1017 on

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have to ask the obvious question:

"Why did you move to this place in the first place?"

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    What kind of contract do you have, if any, and where, approximately, are you? This sort of thing is going to vary by area.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are you month to month or on a lease?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure if it's the same where you live, but in my state, landlords are legally required to provide hygenic, livable conditions. Leaving rotting garbage and dirty dishes for days at a time, and unchecked insect infestation is arguable a health hazard. Contact a tentant/renter's advocacy group in your area and tell them about your situation.

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
  • Options
    th3thirdmanth3thirdman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    buy pubic lice and put it in her underware drawer when she is out. that way she might get cleaner

th3thirdman on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As much as it sucks, there is the not very desirable possibility of just doing all the cleaning yourself, if you cannot leave for whatever reason. It'll be a huge timesink, but in my opinion worth it for avoiding insects and rotting trash. My wishes are with you getting out money in hand, of course.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    olanmills wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's the same where you live, but in my state, landlords are legally required to provide hygenic, livable conditions. Leaving rotting garbage and dirty dishes for days at a time, and unchecked insect infestation is arguable a health hazard. Contact a tentant/renter's advocacy group in your area and tell them about your situation.

I'm going to have to second this. Landlords are responsible for keeping their building sanitary and safe, which she is clearly not doing. Create a record of what's going on, though. Take pictures and keep any letters/notes she and you exchange.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    olanmills wrote: »

I'm going to have to second this. Landlords are responsible for keeping their building sanitary and safe, which she is clearly not doing. Create a record of what's going on, though. Take pictures and keep any letters/notes she and you exchange.

Taking pictures is definitely a good idea. Try to record each situation and interaction. I don't mean you have to wear a wire. Simply take notes, like, Curly recommended.

Slider on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Borax to kill the ants and use soap to clear away wherever their scent trails are. The former if you know where they leave, the latter if you see them using the same route into your room.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Borax to kill the ants and use soap to clear away wherever their scent trails are. The former if you know where they leave, the latter if you see them using the same route into your room.

I would do this ONLY if there is no legal recourse for you under the contract you have and you absolutely can't get out of it, because it's her responsibility as your landlord to make and keep the place livable. Depending on where you live, this may include extermination efforts. Take pictures, take notes, keep records, and call your local authority and ask about the best course of action from here.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn