As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I deployed twice with an M16, once with an M4.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was in the Army Guard and we had M4s with M68's. We got deployed to Iraq and attached to active duty units. The active duty guys had M16s.

Kind of confusing, to be honest, but I couldn't complain, heh.

Kyanilis on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Strange, all the air force guys I knew got M16s. Security forces got M4s but thats it.

I know at one point the base commander took away the air force's weapons because people were being stupid with them, so they carried around either plastic rifles or rifles without any ammo.

I think it depends on which grouping you're in, and CE and SF are in the same group. (A, I believe)

Iceman.USAF on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Former Navy here. Served on the USS Tarawa (LHA-1) from 2002-2006. Made E-5. Two deployments to the Persian Gulf... I was there when the Iraq war started. If any of you guys have questions on what shipboard life is like I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thinking of joining ROTC for the last two year's of my Bachelor's. Not sure which branch to go with, but currently have the goal of becoming a pilot. I'm mostly trying to figure out what training is like for each branch right now. I've talked to limp moose about his experience in the navy, so I'd like to try and talk to someone about Army and/or Air Force.

Currently 24, would be graduating 4 months before turning 27. Depending on how long training takes I believe I would be rubbing right up against or going over age limits for piloting, but would still be well within the range for plenty of other options.

KurnDerak on
    edited May 2011
    Drop me a PM with questions, I did Air Force ROTC but know a little about Army ROTC as well.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Thinking of joining ROTC for the last two year's of my Bachelor's. Not sure which branch to go with, but currently have the goal of becoming a pilot. I'm mostly trying to figure out what training is like for each branch right now. I've talked to limp moose about his experience in the navy, so I'd like to try and talk to someone about Army and/or Air Force.

Currently 24, would be graduating 4 months before turning 27. Depending on how long training takes I believe I would be rubbing right up against or going over age limits for piloting, but would still be well within the range for plenty of other options.

If you also have any questions regarding Army ROTC feel free to PM or post here to ask. I am currently a ROTC Cadet as well.

Waffles or whatever on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone have experience with being on the financial service side of things? I just graduated with an accounting bachelors and had a couple of people telling me that becoming an officer was an option. I've been interested in joining the airforce since high school and am thinking now may be a good time.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone have experience with being on the financial service side of things? I just graduated with an accounting bachelors and had a couple of people telling me that becoming an officer was an option. I've been interested in joining the airforce since high school and am thinking now may be a good time.

Actually, yes. People with science, engineering, and/or business degrees are can be selected for "Acquisitions and Financial Management". I'll send you a PM with more details.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't work in finance, personally. People don't usually go in there to tell them what a great job they're doing.

spookymuffin on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay, I think this whole joining the military thing took yet another turn. It is possible to join the army as an entomologist. That is simply awesome. I keep thinking I've found most of my options and then more keep popping up.

Since I am currently aiming for a Bachelor's of Science in Zoology, that is pretty much the exact thing I am looking for. It is my understanding that if I go through ROTC and aim for a masters afterwards that it is an option to do that but not a guarantee.

KurnDerak on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't work in finance, personally. People don't usually go in there to tell them what a great job they're doing.

I don't understand this? As in, no promotions or?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011

The last time I went to finance, I had filed a PCS voucher that was over a month in the system. I asked about it, and after being told to wait at the counter for 20 mins, the rep came back up and said "We lost your voucher, but don't worry, we just found it! It should be processed in a couple weeks." Meanwhile, my pay is all kinds of fucked up because I'm still being BAS and BAH, and even though they said it would be taken out incrementally, I noticed in my next check that they deducted the entire amount in one swipe. I knew this would happen, so when I got paid a fraction of what I normally do, I was prepared, but I know a few guys who would be pissed when their check is $1700 less for the month.

You would think that an office that's only open for 6 hours a day, and takes constant days off for "training" would know their job a little better.

spookymuffin on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    like a real life M16A2?

Wow

We only use those to fit a 203 and give to someone in our RHIB.

That's exactly what I got to carry around for 16 months. Except one day for our CLS course. I looted the "corpse" of an AF guy who had an M4.

Also it's the lower enlisted who are generally getting yelled at when working finance. When I worked at PSD the job of our warrant officer was to basically make sure everything was running smoothly. His actual practical knowledge as far as how things worked was pretty limited. Though dear God I saw horrible, retarded things done with people's pay and records. And, on at least one occasion, made my own contribution.

Quid on
    edited May 2011
    I always make it a point when I get a good finance dude/girl to 1) Write down their name and 2) Find their boss (and hopefully the superintendent) and make sure they know that person is awesome. That's how rare someone knowing their shit in finance is.

Iceman.USAF on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I always make it a point when I get a good finance dude/girl to 1) Write down their name and 2) Find their boss (and hopefully the superintendent) and make sure they know that person is awesome. That's how rare someone knowing their shit in finance is.

Yes! I talked to a SrA that helped me through the PIPS to get my pay set up for my new station and I had no problems. Even when I didn't fax one of the receipts, she was on the ball by telling me that I forgot. It was approved and within a week got all my $.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

The spectrum for doing a job in personnel goes like this.

On the far right end of the meter, you're doing what you're supposed to be doing. Meeting standards, making things work like they're supposed to. That's about as good as you can do.

On the far left, you are ruining someone's life.

I don't see much room to excel. Interestingly enough though, someone who is able to do what they're supposed to be able to do with a relative amount of success, is worth their weight in gold.

Just the way it goes.

ZeroFill on
    edited May 2011
    It doesn't help that due to the sheer volume of people a person can be putting in transactions for, having an accuracy rating over 99% for your work can still mean there are dozens of mistakes any of which can lead to at least a couple of screwed up pay checks for any given member.

Which is why you check your God damn LES.

Quid on
    edited May 2011
    From what I hear, this finance office is so bad, that everyone has had their paycheck screwed up in some way upon arrival.

spookymuffin on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    The office dudes in Korea are the worst by far, they literally just do not give a shit at all. I didn't find a single helpful person there who wasn't a civilian. I literally did circles around the base on my bike for a week being redirected from one office to another. Man, I honestly have no advice on how to avoid something like that either, being nice doesn't help and being an ass will only make things worse...just be patient I guess.

Fizban140 on
  • FPA20111FPA20111 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

The spectrum for doing a job in personnel goes like this.

On the far right end of the meter, you're doing what you're supposed to be doing. Meeting standards, making things work like they're supposed to. That's about as good as you can do.

On the far left, you are ruining someone's life.

I don't see much room to excel. Interestingly enough though, someone who is able to do what they're supposed to be able to do with a relative amount of success, is worth their weight in gold.

Just the way it goes.

If you're going to break it down like that, nobody has any room to "excel". Take an 89D, a position I think we all agree is important. "Yeah, I guess he disarmed some bombs. Did what he was supposed to, about as good as he can do."

I'm not comparing disarming an IED to filing a tax report, but everyone can excel at their position. Your spectrum should be "Sucks at life//doesn't know what "direct deposit is" -> Meets Standards -> Works fast//polite, helps others at station, suggests improvements in office procedure".

FPA20111 on
    The paranoid man believes that everyone is out to get him. The intelligent man knows that everyone is out to get him.
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    nope

I'm not saying they can't be the best at what they do

what I'm saying is that , when you fuck up, it's big, and when do you what you're supposed to, you don't get much but a pat on the back

a little different from working with ordnance. Everyone knows you don't lay your life on the line for admin work.

ZeroFill on
  • FPA20111FPA20111 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    nope

I'm not saying they can't be the best at what they do

what I'm saying is that , when you fuck up, it's big, and when do you what you're supposed to, you don't get much but a pat on the back

a little different from working with ordnance. Everyone knows you don't lay your life on the line for admin work.

How is that any different from any other position? Do 25S get commendations for setting up a terminal correctly? 11B for shooting straight? 13F for hitting things with artillery? I want to know which position gets the MoH for doing their everyday tasks.

FPA20111 on
    The paranoid man believes that everyone is out to get him. The intelligent man knows that everyone is out to get him.
  • AltaliciousAltalicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FPA20111 wrote: »
    I want to know which position gets the MoH for doing their everyday tasks.

I reckon the bloke who slotted Bin Laden is probably on course. ;-)

Altalicious on
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FPA20111 wrote: »
    I want to know which position gets the MoH for doing their everyday tasks.

I reckon the bloke who slotted Bin Laden is probably on course. ;-)

Impossible. They'll never tell.

godmode on
    edited May 2011
    It's the same with riggers. I can pack a G12 that opens perfectly every time, for a year straight, and get nothing. But that one guy who packs a chute that just so happens to be attached to an ejection seat gets a medal when it opens.

spookymuffin on
    edited May 2011
    Its that way with everything really, I loaded bombs and there are all sorts of un-deservedness going around and also vastly under appreciated people.

There is no system to fix this really, and the Air Force has one of the worst anyways. Below the Zone is absolute bullshit.

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2011
    I've gotten medals, and top ranked evals for doing my job, no extra-curricular activities, even at the E-6 level. Just how it goes. Some jobs are higher profile than others.

ZeroFill on
    edited May 2011
    It was almost devastating to me to see this guy I know get beat out by this really lazy girl I knew. The guy was the best airman I knew, hard working, really nice guy, tons of volunteer work but he was also easy to get a long with, not one of those dudes who just throws everyone under the bus. He really looked out for everyone. The girl was...well a girl. No volunteer work, bad at her job...not sure how she won BTZ really.

After that I really gave up on the system and my beliefs were reinforced too many times after that. Sad story and all, but it made me realize that something in the system needs to change.

Fizban140 on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Reserves are fun! Score 300 on PT Test. Get Army Achievement Medal!

Waffles or whatever on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I submitted my application to the Army Reserve JAG Corps back in April, and got confirmation that it was complete, and had been reviewed by the selection board, in early May. The status of my application is still "pending board decision."

Does anyone know how long these things usually take?

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    edited June 2011
    I've gotten medals, and top ranked evals for doing my job, no extra-curricular activities, even at the E-6 level. Just how it goes. Some jobs are higher profile than others.

That and blind luck. I picked up a dozen medals in my first three years at my first command despite never actually trying to get one and just having extraordinarily bad luck.

Quid on
    edited June 2011
    I submitted my application to the Army Reserve JAG Corps back in April, and got confirmation that it was complete, and had been reviewed by the selection board, in early May. The status of my application is still "pending board decision."

Does anyone know how long these things usually take?

I have no clue how the Army does it's business at all, so take it with a grain of salt

but I know the Navy typically puts out the results to quite a few boards right before the new fiscal year rolls around.

So if I had to throw a wild ass guess, expect to find out August/September time frame.

ZeroFill on
    edited June 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    It was almost devastating to me to see this guy I know get beat out by this really lazy girl I knew. The guy was the best airman I knew, hard working, really nice guy, tons of volunteer work but he was also easy to get a long with, not one of those dudes who just throws everyone under the bus. He really looked out for everyone. The girl was...well a girl. No volunteer work, bad at her job...not sure how she won BTZ really.

After that I really gave up on the system and my beliefs were reinforced too many times after that. Sad story and all, but it made me realize that something in the system needs to change.

all the deployable commands I've been stationed at have been all-male enlisted, including boot camp

I'm headed to an integrated unit, and I've heard so many stories like this. Really sad for the ones who do try to do a good job.

ZeroFill on
  • TinTin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't want to derail the thread too much, but I just found out I'm going to Osan early next year. I figure the odds are good that somebody here has been there. Was wondering if there's anybody that has some advice. Mostly looking for things like what i should bring other than laptop.

What is my weight limit? Will I need to spend some of that on things like chem gear/cold weather gear/etc.
    Anything you wish you had brought with you, or wish you didn't?

Tin on
    edited June 2011
    Tin wrote: »
    Don't want to derail the thread too much, but I just found out I'm going to Osan early next year. I figure the odds are good that somebody here has been there. Was wondering if there's anybody that has some advice. Mostly looking for things like what i should bring other than laptop.

What is my weight limit? Will I need to spend some of that on things like chem gear/cold weather gear/etc.
    Anything you wish you had brought with you, or wish you didn't?

Osan..what job? I was in Kunsan. Osan is by far the nicer base, not even really like its in Korea. I can't believe they do short tours there. Anyways bring a strong liver and be ready to drink, its all anyone ever does. Although you have a much better time sight seeing up there, just go and see a lot. That is my only regret, I didn't see as much as I wanted to because no one ever wanted to do anything besides drink.

Fizban140 on
    edited June 2011
    I'm there right now. Your limit is probably going to be 750lbs for unaccompanied baggage, chem gear is given to you when you get here. Make sure you separate uniforms and other professional gear, because that stuff doesn't count towards your weight limit.

Bring stuff to keep you busy. It's like any other base, but you're only here for a year.

PM me if you have anything else to ask, if I don't know the answer offhand, I'm sure I can find it out for you.

spookymuffin on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Speaking on the M16/M4 comments before, I used to stand shipboard watch with an M14. Fucker weighed at least 500 pounds. I was qualified in it along with the 9mm and 12 Gauge. I fucking hate the M14 iron sights.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I saw perhaps the worst case of bad rewarding during my career on my 2nd deployment.

Our battalion surgeon got a combat V silver star award for: "1) assisting and ending a surprise ambush by insurgents; 2) giving medical aid and attention to not only US personnel but Iraqi's as well" all of that taking place during combat. The problem? None of it is real. There was no combat, there were no insurgents performing an ambush, and there was no child he saved.

I was on stop loss, so when we re-deployed back stateside I was getting antsy. While waiting in one of the out-process lines, I went to the smoke section to light one up. The Battalion surgeon was there, a Captain. He says how he hates smokers because it's so filthy and a filthy habit, while in the smoke section. I lose it, it's been way too long and I just can't take the bull shit from this unit anymore so I go off on him. "You know, sir, what's really filthy? Lying about a fucking combat patrol so you can get a silver star. Where's the spot report? Where's the incident report? Where's the BDA? Where's all the paperwork and witness statements that back up your claim? There is none. Instead, everyone in the patrol you went on cites how it was a quiet stroll through southern Iraq. And what the fuck where you doing out of the base? It is not the job of a battalion surgeon to go on a patrol. What's filthy? You are what's filthy....sir."

He just kind of looked at me with a wide eye, blank stare, and knew that I didn't give a shit. Everyone knew, what where you going to do? Demote me? Take my pay? Give me extra duty? Didn't matter, I was on stop loss and in 3 day's time I was out completely from the Army. Didn't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Then I went broke and re-enlisted 8 months later and see it in all the units I interact with. I don't know after all this time if I want to stay in because I'm beyond the half-way point, or get out and preserve what little sanity and patience with the Army I have left.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alright, long time listener, first time poster (in this thread anyways).

I'm somewhat interested in becoming a psychologist with the Navy. I've been looking at the Ph.D program at the Uniformed Services University.

If I understand correctly, if you're a civilian and you choose to go through their program, at the end of the program you'll be a part of the navy for 7 years.

Before I enroll, I have to go through ODS.

Am I on the right track so far?

So my questions thus far:

How hard is it to get into the USU program? They list the requirements (gpa and GRE scores) but they don't list how many people apply VS how many are admitted (or I haven't found it). I do have my master's degree, but didn't have to take the GRE (optional)

Where do most people end up after their program? It lists on there that "there is a possibility of being deployed in support of medical readiness, not as a combatant, but to fleet hospital, aircraft carrier, gitmo, etc).

The 7 years after the doc program, would I be a navy psychologist, or just a psychologist who's able to choose the branch of military to go serve in?

I've read the PT requirements for the 1.5mi, curls, and pushups. How hard is it to get from "The last time I ran a mile was in Jr. High" to passing? I imagine it's pretty dependent on the individual, but I'm 5'10 250. Obviously I'd need some work.

I...think that's all the burning questions I have for now, please be gentle.

http://bit.ly/laM7Fo (where I'm getting my info from, I know I probably need to talk with a navy medical recruiter).

That_Spoony_Bard on
This discussion has been closed.