As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX app for smartphones

thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in PAX Archive
Is there a PAX Prime app available?

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
thegh0sts on

• ReedtekReedtek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The PAX Assistant won't probably get updated until closer to Prime, when the full schedule comes out.

Reedtek on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    I enjoy the PAX Assistant a lot, but I think it's android only.

The Conventionist is a convention app that gets a pax guide download closer to each pax, and it is also quite good. I believe it's for iOS, Android, and maybe even WP7.

This was already answered in the FAQ, so it wouldn't surprise me if this thread got moved there too.

zerzhul on
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i did a quick search on zune and there's one for win phone 7 (as i ordered an HD7 a few days ago and will be taking that with me to the US for PAX)

so yeah kinda answered my own question :p

move along!

thegh0sts on
  • CrabblesCrabbles Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pax assistant was incredibly useful for me last year, I especially like the ability to make my own schedule.

Crabbles on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    i did a quick search on zune and there's one for win phone 7 (as i ordered an HD7 a few days ago and will be taking that with me to the US for PAX)

move along!

can you give me a link to this win 7 PAX app for the faq please?

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »

move along!

Oddly, every time I ask the Windows Phone people about how to deep link to the marketplace for Apps they tell me it can't be done, meanwhile they do it all the time. You need the App ID which they don't show to end users. It's up to the hackers! It's odd like that.

It's called "Pax Digital Assistant" and it's located in the "Travel" section. Searching for "Pax" returns only that app.

tsrblke on
    edited May 2011
    anyways, i got my HD7 in the mail and setting it up with the PAX app and a tipping app cos I know i'm gonna need the tipping app!

thegh0sts on
    edited May 2011
    I emailed Nick Swar, creator of the android PAX Assistant app for Prime 2010 and East 2011. He informed me that he does intend to update the PAX Assistant for Prime 2011. Given previous PAXen, I would guess his timetable will be to release something once the schedules go live (Early August most likely).

zerzhul on
    edited May 2011
    awesome! can't wait to update the app then.

thegh0sts on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    tsrblke wrote: »
    SmallLady wrote: »

move along!

Oddly, every time I ask the Windows Phone people about how to deep link to the marketplace for Apps they tell me it can't be done, meanwhile they do it all the time. You need the App ID which they don't show to end users. It's up to the hackers! It's odd like that.

It's called "Pax Digital Assistant" and it's located in the "Travel" section. Searching for "Pax" returns only that app.

It seems like this is only for PAX East 2011. I assume he's going to update it for when PAX Prime comes?

Wormdundee on
  • basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes, he'll update it...
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I emailed Nick Swar, creator of the android PAX Assistant app for Prime 2010 and East 2011. He informed me that he does intend to update the PAX Assistant for Prime 2011. Given previous PAXen, I would guess his timetable will be to release something once the schedules go live (Early August most likely).

basicallygeek on
    edited May 2011
    Yes, he'll update it...

I wasn't referring to a WP7 app unless Nick Swar's android app is also made for wp7. I heard he might be doing that, but I didn't think he had yet.

zerzhul on
  • smallz74smallz74 Sunnyside, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looking forward to this app update. Been checking out the app for PAX East and there is allot of info. This will definitely help out a noob like me for my first PAX Event. 8-)

smallz74 on
    Twitter: @smallville74
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes, he'll update it...

The PAX Assistant and PAX Digital Assistant are different things. Nick Swar has nothing to do with the one I'm talking about.

Wormdundee on
    edited May 2011
    ah PAX digital assistant is the WP7 app...

thegh0sts on
  • jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wrote PAX Digital Assistant (the wp7 app), and I am planning to update it for prime. Feature suggestions/bug reports are also welcome, although I don't check here often so email me instead.

FYI, it's easy to send a link to an app from the phone: when you find the app in marketplace it has a 'share' button.

jacalata on

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
    edited May 2011
    jacalata on

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
    edited May 2011
    i await your update for Prime!

thegh0sts on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Note that if there is any online functionality within the app and you're using a Pay as you Go SIM card with no data access, the app will be limited in its use. Smart phones rely heavily on data connections and once you leave your home country, they revert to a standard mobile phone in many respects. That is if you're not near a WiFi spot.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited May 2011
    kropotkin wrote: »

Note that if there is any online functionality within the app and you're using a Pay as you Go SIM card with no data access, the app will be limited in its use. Smart phones rely heavily on data connections and once you leave your home country, they revert to a standard mobile phone in many respects. That is if you're not near a WiFi spot.

true because my phone doesn't use the same freq bands as the US does for 3G (I have the asia version of the HD7 which has diff bands for 3G than the US version) but 2G is still good and that's mainly for voice and text. i know there's gonna be WiFi at the expo and I am also expecting it to be damn slow with the amount of people attending.

thegh0sts on
  • outphaseoutphase Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Although no one is asking specifically, there is an app on the iPhone called Conventionist that I used last year for PAX Prime.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/conventionist/id330114582?mt=8

edit: apparently it was mentioned up top and I overlooked it

outphase on
  • p0rtugalviip0rtugalvii Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Palm Pre Plus.
    Y U NO have awesome PAX apps?!?!?
    My phone needs to stop being hipster and get some of the mainstream apps.

p0rtugalvii on
    PSN: p0rtugal_VII
    XBL: DJBlackMage
    Youtube: p0rtugalvii
    Twitter: @p0rtugalvii
  • olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow thanks for the heads up on this. I'm glad there's a WP7 app for PAX. Thanks jacalata!

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Palm Pre Plus.

My buddy still has a Pre. His is starting to give up the ghost, though.

In other news, I have my first smart phone this year, so I'm excited to be getting an Android app for PAX!

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • NormanPrideNormanPride Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Palm Pre Plus.
    I have a Pre as well. Other than the neat way it handles multi-tasking it is a brick to me. I have long since forgotten that it can actually use apps other than an internet browser...

NormanPride on
    edited June 2011
    You know, I have a palm pre as well and it doesn't look that hard to develop for. ping me in a month and I might have put something together for that as well.

jacalata on

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If there are any PAX app devs that want to include a Buttoneering component to their app, let me know. The button exchange site I'm making for this year has a complete RESTful API, and should be pretty easy to interface with. I'd be glad to document everything you need if there's any interest.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • pfdanpfdan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm thinking of whipping up an app for the iPhone since we apple minions are lacking any good app. Obviously it woul include maps, schedules, a make your own schedule feature, and a timer feature for the basics. If anyone has suggestions about content to be included quote this post and tell me I have few ideas but I want to know what is actually going to get used.

pfdan on
    edited June 2011
    actually the iphone has the conventionist, which is a pretty good app. Not saying you can't make something that's pax specific that's better, but the iphone doesn't *lack* a good app.

zerzhul on
  • drspacemonkey2drspacemonkey2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    true because my phone doesn't use the same freq bands as the US does for 3G (I have the asia version of the HD7 which has diff bands for 3G than the US version) but 2G is still good and that's mainly for voice and text. i know there's gonna be WiFi at the expo and I am also expecting it to be damn slow with the amount of people attending.

For you and anyone who will be using Asian or European band phones (or Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron for Canadians), look in to T-Mobile. They use the AWS band - 1700MHz and 2100MHz. You'll want to double-check the frequencies since there's a couple different frequencies used by AWS that your specific phone may or may not be capable of, but there's a good chance it'll work for you. If you're unsure, take your phone in to a T-Mobile store when you arrive and have them check with a demo SIM or something.

I picked up a month-to-month SIM with a data plan for PAX2010 from T-Mobile and it worked amazingly well. Didn't have any of the problems experienced by the poor bastards stuck with AT&T. Good coverage on the convention floor and great speeds the entire time.

drspacemonkey2 on
  • qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

For you and anyone who will be using Asian or European band phones (or Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron for Canadians), look in to T-Mobile. They use the AWS band - 1700MHz and 2100MHz. You'll want to double-check the frequencies since there's a couple different frequencies used by AWS that your specific phone may or may not be capable of, but there's a good chance it'll work for you. If you're unsure, take your phone in to a T-Mobile store when you arrive and have them check with a demo SIM or something.

I picked up a month-to-month SIM with a data plan for PAX2010 from T-Mobile and it worked amazingly well. Didn't have any of the problems experienced by the poor bastards stuck with AT&T. Good coverage on the convention floor and great speeds the entire time.

Don't forget to make sure your phone is unlocked. *shakes fist at bell for locking his phone*

qwhacker on
  • drspacemonkey2drspacemonkey2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    qwhacker wrote: »
    Don't forget to make sure your phone is unlocked. *shakes fist at bell for locking his phone*

Ah yes, I always forget that part.

FYI, Bell Canada does have an unlock policy. If you call them up ask, they might unlock your phone for you. Unless it's an iPhone, which they won't do.

drspacemonkey2 on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    inspired to get a convention app, i downloaded Conventionist. ...it hasn't updated since April -- turns out, it is now Guidebook. hth!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    edited June 2011
    qwhacker wrote: »

yup, i made sure that it was when i bought it!

thegh0sts on
  • olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Just wanted to point out that the PAX app for WP7 was updated for PAX Prime recently. jacalata made it. The schedule has been updated, but the maps aren't available in the app yet.

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png