As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SC2: This thread is OVER!! New THREAD!!!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
hydra.jpg

(Artwork provided by forum member Wakkawa. Visit his site and buy some amazing work at inexpensive prices. Commissions available!)

The Starcraft II discussion thread
(Channel PA on NA)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yOw-hYMbDY

le2q.png
Master's level Protoss Analysis.
Our good friend s_86 will be reviewing his games as he goes. Click on the image above to visit his blog page.

The SC2 thread proudly presents!

1. The Weekly Forum Challenge

(Organizer: MNC Dover)
-What the hell is the Weekly Forum Challenge (WFC)?

The WFC is a new idea I came up with that will pit one forum member against everyone else in the forum. Basically, you apply to be in the WFC and when your name is called, you take on everyone else in the forum.

-Huh? Why would I want to do that?

Because it's fun, keeps the forum more interactive, and allows you to improve your game by playing a lot of different playstyles.

-OK, who do I play against?

Everyone. It doesn't matter if your Bronze or Master, these games are no ranks barred. Yeah, if you're a Bronze level player you'll probably get splattered, but you will be learning something and have a set of replays from which to study. You could use this opportunity to practice a single build and see how it fares against several other types of builds. Either way, it will be a good learning experience and fun!

-Sounds interesting....what are the rules?

If your name is called, you will take all invites from Sunday to Saturday that week. Opponents can challenge you via forum posts, PM's, or on B.Net. You must try your best to take on every challenge, so be prepared to spend a few hours on b.net during your week.

-I'm only a Bronze leaguer. I'll get squashed so I don't want to enter.

Hold on there a minute, I'm not done yet. Any WFC entrant can request a live-coach regardless of their rank. Yes, any rank. The coach may only give advice during play in ally chat to you and you cannot ask questions. The coach also cannot tell you what the enemy is doing or steer your build to screw over the enemy. Only tips like, watching your supply counts, build more structures, drone up, scout, expo, spend money, etc. The coach can be anyone the WFC wants and can change from game to game. You can talk with your coach before and after games to discuss strats, build orders, and the like.

-Awesome! I think I want to participate. How do I enter?

PM a message to me with "WFC" as the title and the following information:

-Forum name
-B.Net ID with 3 digit code
-Race played (please only use one to reduce headaches)
-Rank
-Do you want a coach?
-Timezone (easy conversions for us lazy Americans please)
-At least three different weeks you want to apply for with your most favorable choice first (example: 03/20-03/26, 03/27- 04/05, and 04/13-04/19)
-Your choice of how you want to play matches, either bo1 or bo3

-Great, I sent out the information and got accepted. Now what?

Now you have to openly accept challenges from the forum. Post the time or times you will make yourself available for matches. Other people can set-up appointments for matches or play however you choose. If you only want to accept appointments great, if not, you can do a first come, first pwned set-up.

-What maps do we play on?

For bo1's, the WFC player gets to choose the map. Sorry folks, that's the advantage of manning up and taking on all comers. For bo3's, the first game is on Shakura's Plateau with the loser choosing the next map from the official Blizzard Ladder pool. Yes this means the maps may change over time. We'll manage.

-What happens when my week is over?

You gather up all your replays, name them "WFC vs (insert enemy name), add them to gamereplays.org (info found in the OP), and then post EVERY SINGLE GAME into a single spoilered post. The thread creator will add your games into the OP and they'll stay there until the next person's turn is over.

-When does all this begin?

How does this Sunday sound? I'm taking applications now!

-I had an emergency mid-week! What do I do?

No biggie, we all understand that real life stuff happens. Let everyone know and I'll do my best to find someone to fill in the spot. No problem at all.

-Anything else?

Glad you asked. I really think this can be fun, especially if we have some of our more charismatic people bring some light-hearted, jaw-jacking to the table. I'd also really like it if some of the lower ranked players step up and give this a go. In reality, it's no different then playing against PA people anyway, but now it will have more of a focus. You can have a target on your back which might change the way you play by adding or removing pressure.

ABOVE ALL, I just want everyone to have fun and play more SC2. :D

So, who's in?

Our eleventh WFC player will be ChaosHat! Here's his info:

Forum name: ChaosHat
B.Net ID with 3 digit code: ChaosHat.444
Race played: Protoss
Do you want a coach?: Nope!
Timezone: EST
bo3 format

Challenge our player by sending him a PM, post, or b.net message to set up times!

Here are the replays of the WFC prior:
repimg-33-211649.jpg

repimg-33-211650.jpg

2. PA showmatch series #2 & #3

(Organizer: Enigma435)
When you step on this deck, you be ready to fight, or you dishonor the reason why we're here. Now remember this: When you fight a man, he's not your friend.

Watch PAers engage in friendly (most of the time) combat for your entertainment!

3. Replay(s) of the day! (6/5)

(Organizer: whoever created this thread)

A random replay of the play donated by our forum-goers. Make sure to upload your replay submissions to submit your replay using gamereplays.org. And be a pal and mark your replay as ROTD material in your post so they're easier to find.

repimg-33-213080.jpg

Start here to better craft some stars.
The SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff (usually brought to you by the letter S and the number 86). In order to keep up, I highly recommend you check out the following resources:
  • General
    • Team Liquid. Team Liquid is the biggest Starcraft related fan site out on the Internet today. They follow everything Starcraft related including the pro scene. Many great articles, forums, and information can be found here. A must bookmark for any Starcraft fan.
    • Wellplayed.org. Starcraft 2 aggregation site from the SCReddit group.
  • Talk shows
    • State of the Game podcast. The pillars of the starcraft 2 community --- JP, EGIncontrol, Liquid`Tyler, and Day[9] --- talk (mostly) about current events in the starcraft community every Tuesday.
  • Educational

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA (on the NA realm). We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!

2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.

3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

4) Sign up for the PA mumble page. Sign up if you want to chat with fellow PA users during games or watching tournaments. Thanks to Exoplasm for hosting the service and providing the step-by-step process for installing mumble.

JK. I like watching Starcraft instead. Where can I watch some good games?
Major tournaments. Starcraft is e-sports. Follow these major tournaments and you will not be disappoint.
  • The GSL. The premiere korean starcraft 2 league. Where the best go to play. Casted by Tastetosis, the casting archon.
  • The TSL. Team Liquid's major tournament where foreigners stomp koreans and everyone attributes it to lag.
  • Major League Gaming. North American e-sports powerhouse now features Starcraft 2 (as long as their stream is online). "tahts halo dont worry".
  • North American Star League. The upstart league headed by fan-favorites Incontrol and Gretorp. $400k up for grabs in the first season alone.
  • IGN Pro League. Everyone's getting into e-sports, even IGN! 16 of the top players from North America duking it out for fabulous prizes.

And those are only the major ones! Follow the Team Liquid Tournament Tracker for more competitive goodness.

Streams. Perhaps you prefer something more intimate. Maybe watching starcraft 2 like it's Being John Malkovich? Thanks to the power of the Internet, there are infinity streams available for your voyeuristic pleasure. Here are our favorites.

Want more streams? Check out Teamliquid's live video stream page for more goodness.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm new thread.

Toss OP, Terran Overplayed, Zerg underplayed greatness. gg

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mmm, still got that new thread smell.

Fresh out of the oven, just like mom used to make!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    2n2 LT team Day9 / Goomba approve of new thread

196980_10150224803189569_741629568_8996983_6492917_n.jpg

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    okay, now that the new thread has popped, i can lay down my discussion point

for anyone watching the tlattack with sheth today

you saw how much stuff was going on and the players were only at like 100 food and having large army/positioning jostling

firstly, and i think we all know the sort of answer to this, why doesn't this happen in sc2 (probably not refined enough, yeah?)

but secondly, why is it so easy to max out in sc2? in the match with morrow, both players were relatively safe and macroing hard and were still at about 80 food when i think someone in similar positions could be pushing like 120 or 140 even (hard macro zerg)

why is the food counter so much more explosive in sc2?

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    couple of replays because why not

repimg-33-211802.jpg

repimg-33-211802.jpg

... I think I'm done with there being all this parody stuff. parodying a lonely island song? they're the kings of funny music. don't sit right.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    okay, now that the new thread has popped, i can lay down my discussion point

for anyone watching the tlattack with sheth today

you saw how much stuff was going on and the players were only at like 100 food and having large army/positioning jostling

firstly, and i think we all know the sort of answer to this, why doesn't this happen in sc2 (probably not refined enough, yeah?)

but secondly, why is it so easy to max out in sc2? in the match with morrow, both players were relatively safe and macroing hard and were still at about 80 food when i think someone in similar positions could be pushing like 120 or 140 even (hard macro zerg)

why is the food counter so much more explosive in sc2?

everything about the game is faster, I think it's that simple

Variable on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Auto mining
    chrono / mule / inject

this is just a guess, but it seems you can get to full saturation a LOT faster than in sc1

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WellPlayed logo and TB's voice and that's it?

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Auto mining
    chrono / mule / inject

this is just a guess, but it seems you can get to full saturation a LOT faster than in sc1

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    gonna repost this and see if i can get any advice

Just got tooled by a plat (PLAT!) terran who playing nothing but a defensive game. I've played these kinds of matches before and have never, ever, been successful at beating them.

repimg-33-211782.jpg

He placed tanks behind a line of supply depots and turrets in order to protect his natural. He put turrets all over his main and turtled like crazy. He eventually ended up going heavy thor/banshee/raven with enough ravens to snipe expansions in like 5 seconds.

I think (THINK) I should have built a warp prism and harassed him, but he probably would have survived and just built more turrets in response. I tried taking him out initially with a chargelot/archon/DT mix with a few VRs sprinkled in, but his defense held spectacularly, mainly because of mother fucking banshees. I later tried to go pure phoenix/VR, but was easily defeated. He built turrets close to my base while his army stood by in order to have those as well when we finally engaged.

It's such a frustrating match to think about because I have no real clue what the answer would have been. Terran defense is so unbelievably strong.

Guek on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wouldn't carriers make sense?

TheBog on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    Wouldn't carriers make sense?

Does not compute

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Guek wrote: »

Just got tooled by a plat (PLAT!) terran who playing nothing but a defensive game. I've played these kinds of matches before and have never, ever, been successful at beating them.

repimg-33-211782.jpg

He placed tanks behind a line of supply depots and turrets in order to protect his natural. He put turrets all over his main and turtled like crazy. He eventually ended up going heavy thor/banshee/raven with enough ravens to snipe expansions in like 5 seconds.

I think (THINK) I should have built a warp prism and harassed him, but he probably would have survived and just built more turrets in response. I tried taking him out initially with a chargelot/archon/DT mix with a few VRs sprinkled in, but his defense held spectacularly, mainly because of mother fucking banshees. I later tried to go pure phoenix/VR, but was easily defeated. He built turrets close to my base while his army stood by in order to have those as well when we finally engaged.

It's such a frustrating match to think about because I have no real clue what the answer would have been. Terran defense is so unbelievably strong.

Colossi are your siege units. They will force him to attack or die slowly.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    is there anyway to watch that SC2BW match or are there any SC2BW matches floating around, i never really played much SC1 and now the graphics hurt my head so i really am curious to see one of those matches.

GarethMagis on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It seems like just having better generic pathfinding AI breaks the traditional BW metagame.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    there are a couple in tlo's tlattack from last week, starts around 44 minutes, there are two in his i think

whenever the sheth one gets uploaded there are like 2 or 3 in there near the end as well

as far as more maybe youtube search sc2bw, i'm too lazy to look

(i implore you to try and stomach the graphics and maybe watch some gomtv aveatec games that were commentated by tasteless or maybe some tsl2 vods! they own!)

edit: ked, if that is in regards to sc2bw, basically all ai looked like bw (save for the muta micro? sheth was complaining about that a bit)

but i do think sc2's better ai has a lot of far reaching implications into how it plays

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On AI:

The guys who did the Zergling and Marine vids should totally do some for Blink Stalkers.

They would be terrifying. Infinitely kiting shit alldayerrday

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I don't know enough about BW to comment on the SC2BW AI with any authority.

It just looks like everything maneuvers too smoothly and easily compared to old BW videos.

And seems like clunky unit movement had a lot to do with strategies that were or were not effective in BW.

kedinik on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay, so wanting to get back into this shindig, but I'm worried that 3rax pressure is super outdated

Is 2rax fe still a solid all-around opener, or has the metagame shifted so much in the 10+ weeks that it'll be like I have amnesia or something

Kami on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ChaosHat wrote: »

repimg-33-211782.jpg

Colossi are your siege units. They will force him to attack or die slowly.

I really don't think that would have worked. Siege tanks out range colossi and banshees rip them to pieces.

Guek on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Put my iowa post at the top of the OP plz

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know enough about BW to comment on the SC2BW AI with any authority.

It just looks like everything maneuvers too smoothly and easily compared to old BW videos.

And seems like clunky unit movement had a lot to do with strategies that were or were not effective in BW.

the movement is incredibly similar to normal bw and i don't think any strats were really shown to be nullified, everything looked like typical bw fare

sheth's commenting on the muta micro just sounded like him being out of practice of it (which is understandable)

i dunno, the dragoons moving in tlo's tlattack as well as how marines move

seems legit to me, i haven't watched too much bw recently, but it all seems good

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kami wrote: »
    Okay, so wanting to get back into this shindig, but I'm worried that 3rax pressure is super outdated

Is 2rax fe still a solid all-around opener, or has the metagame shifted so much in the 10+ weeks that it'll be like I have amnesia or something

2fax FE is still totally standard and safe for a TvP build.

Same build but gasless + a bunker rush for TvZ, moving into siege tanks.

I dunno for TvT, should be okay.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Boxer just snapped those two reapers' necks. Simultaneously.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think I need to spend more time playing this game and less time posting about it.
    Who Posted?
    Total Posts: 2,491
    User Name Posts
    Dhalphir 339
    kedinik 129

and I am JAILED. with a *three minute* post timer. And still nearly tripling the next highest poster. God I post too much

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I post too much.
    Meta game play right here.

kedinik on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeeaaahhhh boxer

Anzekay on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Comeback by the Emperor! :D

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

repimg-33-211782.jpg

First of all, don't attack up a ramp if you know they have a wall plus Siege Tanks. That's just dumb, no matter how big a food lead you have. Second, don't push into a siege line with Bunkers, Turrets, and 16 Banshees. Your opponent just played patiently, expanded all over the map after you suicided your army twice, and could have won with anything from that point. You got impatient and killed yourself.

The answer is to let him turtle on 3 bases while you build an unbeatable composition and play defensively. He has to push out eventually or he'll starve, and that's when you hit him. If you have absolute map control (which you did before suiciding twice), take extra bases for gas and go for a composition like Templar/Carrier with upgrades. Vikings are actually not very good against Carriers once you get a critical mass, and Templar counter literally every unit in his comp (lol Feedback/Storm). Void Rays are awful against Vikings, Marines, and only decent against Thors if they get any number of them. Phoenix are denied by Thors, though they'd be useful defensively to prevent expansion or tech sniping by a Banshee flock. Observer speed and extra Observers would also be handy for preventing that sort of harass. You were on DQ, so storm harass at his nat or his 4th/5th would have been very effective.

Zealots are good if he's going pure Mech, but not so much against a Thor/Banshee comp. Same with DTs if he's turretting and PFing as heavily as he was. Archons can be good if they live long enough to splash the Banshees, but that's probably not going to happen if they're at the front of your army. Banshees are pretty damn good.

Templar/Carrier can work given the amount of time and map control you had. If you get it going, there's really not much he can do about it. Kill his army once and the game is over.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    dhal, when you wanted to learn zerg how did you start?

with specifics if you don't mind (i.e. what build/which matchups or which method of learning)

yay for comeback, I'll be watching tomorrow hopefully, stepped out for a few

Variable on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Would you believe that Sceptre refused to tell me how to beat him in ZvP?!

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Variable wrote: »

with specifics if you don't mind (i.e. what build/which matchups or which method of learning)

The same way you learn one race when you first start this game. Pick a single build, if you can find one that works for all 3 matchups great, otherwise one thats relatively okay for all matchups is fine. Speedling expand is what I chose.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MNC Dover used Create New Thread.

It's super effective.

Old thread has fainted.

Keamien on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

The same way you learn one race when you first start this game. Pick a single build, if you can find one that works for all 3 matchups great, otherwise one thats relatively okay for all matchups is fine. Speedling expand is what I chose.

you make it sound so obvious

Variable on
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vari, just roach rush.

Keamien on
  • Options
    Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

you make it sound so obvious

You can open 14/14 in every matchup as Z. Your expo timing will be different in ZvZ as it's a more volatile matchup. It has a sort of PvP feel where you have to match aggression with your opponent and expand very carefully. Aside from certain situations where you can hatch first in certain positions, but that's kind of an advanced topic. ZvZ will come the slowest for you most likely. It's a matchup where you just have to get a feel for when you need to punish econ and or be afraid for your life and stop droning (the line between these two is much narrower in zvz than the other matchups). To open in ZvP and ZvT do the following:

14gas/drone/14pool.

3 drones on gas when it finishes (you can remove them after 100 gas if you only want to get speed, leave them on if you prefer going into banes/roaches/lair after speed.)

overlord on 15 or 16

speed research when pool finishes

queen + some number of lings (your play style will dictate this, I usually only make 2 to start to take down any probe/pylong blocks)

Take your expo sometime around 20-22ish supply. This timing is flexible depending on what is blocking. Once this is up you're pretty much into read and react mode.

Enigma435 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    awesome thanks

heh, just read a post on tl about tvp and was going 'hey this guy is right' and I see it's dhal

Variable on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i can see dhals head from here now vari

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i'm right about everything, i thought this was common knowledge

Dhalphir on