As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shrek Wars- update 3

CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Artist's Corner
Second time writing this- so here's a more condensed version without all the extra fluff.

So I'm trying to get back into this whole 'doing art' thing, so heres the start of an entry to one of ImagineFX's monthly contests.
The theme to this one is 'In a land far, far away', so I thought having a mash up between Shrek (boo) and Star Wars (yay) would be good (Far far away land/ a Galaxy far far away lolololLOL010101... getit!!!10101.... oh, suit yourself.....)

Anyways, I don't normally post a WIP so early, but I thought someone would at least be interested in seeing how shitty my sketchy beginnings normally are.
I hadn't drawn on real paper with real pencils for a while, so I thought I would give it a crack. As you can probably see, I have had to do a lot of tweaks to get it 'better'. I also drew this thing on several bits of paper, but the original image is a bit collage-ey so that shouldn't be a big deal
Hopefully the likeness will improve as I progress.

shrekwarswip01.jpg

If you haven't realised just yet, I am doing a version of this image but with Shrek characters. I still need to add many of the elements such as the king and the fairy godmothers heads on the left also swapping the xwings for the donkeys and dragons babies. And maybe an onion as the deathstar.....

I love posting here, coz you guys have a great set of critical eyes. It's early days, but feel free to comment away.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Is it cool to use trademarked characters in this contest? Maybe its part of the contest, but I would think they'd reluctant to publish something like that if they thought they might get sued and shit. I dont know what the details of the contest are though, so just throwing that out there.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    For the actual contest- they don't have anything in their rules as far as I can see, but yeah when it comes to the magazine, they do have discretion, so if they have an issue with it- I guess they just don't add it. But, whatevez :P

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Word, its probably not a huge deal, It looks great so far.

What are you going to do for the background, just copy the space and the ships?

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, probably- just replacing the ships with those freaky donkey/ dragon babies fighting witches- and maybe throw in the dragon somewhere as well.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The idea is great! I know the poster you're referencing just from a glance so that's solid.

The only thing that comes to mind, (and this might be just an early-stage-stupid-scanner thing) but is Shrek's right hand supposed to be holding something or doing something? Hard to tell.

Also - how are you going to treat the X-Wings flying in formation on the left side of the original poster? I'm not sure if the Shrek universe had very many contraptions that flew. I could be wrong, I only vaguely remember the first. The rest, not so much.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The prince or whoever (Vader) looks very McQuarrie-ish. Nicely done.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Its wicked awesome to see your pencils before you get into them with the crazy renderings. I really love the C3-PinocchiO and Cookie-D2. Fun concept.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Got lazy over the last few days- so this is where i'm at... line art!

I couldn't be bothered to do all of the elements that I had planned (dronkeys and witches on the left hand side), but whatcha gonna do... If the picture needs it, I might add them in if I get time.

shrekwarswip02.jpg

Now for the quickest colouring job ever!*

*May or may not actually be quick.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    shrekwarswip04.jpg

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really like Chewdonkey so far. I think that Cat Solo needs something else to make him look more Hanish. I think what's throwing me off is the red stripes are running horizontally, rather than vertically, which, to me at least, seems to be a trademark identifier of han.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My super pointed crit: Gingerbread R2 is rad.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Now that you say that Ewom- I might do a tweak to add those stripes.

Anyways- here's where I am

shrekwarswip05.jpg

CyberMonkeytron3000 on