As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wanting a Dehumidifier

lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, it gets moist in our apartment. Showering, cooking, anything really, there is condensation on the walls and it's starting to become a bit of a problem.

we picked up some DampRid today to try that, but in the long run we're thinking about getting a dehumidifier.

This is where you come in. We looked at a few things, but with having no knowledge of them, have no idea what a good start would be. How many liters should we look for in the tank? How many should it hold? Power, speed, mechanicals.

Where should we start looking to learn? If anybody has any experience with this, that would be great.

Also, as a siderelated question, if anybody has any good products for getting potential mold out of carpet, that would be awesome as well. it's only a little mold and relegated to one small area, but I'd like to keep it that way.

lonelyahava on

• Options
    th3thirdmanth3thirdman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I rented a place on a river that had a Dehumidifier that drained under the sink. That worked well this is all I can add here.

th3thirdman on
  • Options
    kneelingyakkneelingyak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do you use the exhaust fans when showering or cooking? I don't know what the general humidity is like in your area but moisture on the walls is a pretty big sign that something is wrong in the apartment.

Most apartments only have recirculating fans in the kitchen so that isn't much help but if the fan in the bathroom is properly sized it should do a good job of sucking out the moist shower air provided you use it while showering and not just turn it on after you are done.

If you do use the fan in the bathroom and it still gets exceptionally damp you may want to have your landlord take a look at the fan to see if it is operating properly.

kneelingyak on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah, sadly there is no bathroom fan.

There is a kitchen fan that I do use, but it doesn't go directly outside, it goes into the screened in 'spa room' and then straight upstairs to the landlord's house, where they can smell what i'm cooking.

definitely gonna try this damprid, and if that doesn't work like i'm hoping it will, then we'll just have to go from there...

but the getting mold out of carpets is gonna be the next big thing

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It sounds like this place violates all kinds of building codes. I don't know if a dehumidifier is going to solve your problems.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The house my fiance and I are renting has a leak in the foundation or something, and the carpet in the end room kept getting soaked every time it rained for more than a couple of hours at a time. We kept complaining about it, the landlord kept saying "Well gosh, I dunno, can you see where the water is getting in?", we kept saying "No, we really can't, it's covered in carpet and also we are not structural engineers, please do something about this."

The last time it happened, I sent him an email suggesting rather strongly that I should buy a dehumidifier for the end room, and deduct whatever it cost from the rent that month. A day later, he showed up with this.

I don't know how it compares to other dehumidifiers because I've never had cause to use one before, but this thing pulls a fucking *terrifying* amount of water out of the air. And also out of the carpet. We had to empty the water reservoir six times in the first two days it was running. (It did have the option to drain through a hose, but really, The end room is dry as a bone, despite the wettest spring on record around here, and now that the carpets are no longer soaked, we only need to empty the thing every few days. It's reasonably quiet, too - we can tell when it clicks on, but it's not loud enough to interfere with my reading or his video games.

For reference, our humidifier retails for around $220 locally, and it's rated to remove 70 pints of water per day, which is 33 liters. I'd say it's actually overkill for the 12'x20' room it's in. The laundry room and shower are attached to the end room, too, and it easily copes with the moisture from those as well.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Figgy

it actually seems like a fairly standard thing for the houses down here. Most houses have an upstairs and a downstairs, and usually the downstairs has been remodeled, retrofitted something or other to be a different flat completely. Just because as an island nation there's not a lot of room. The place is comfy and fine, the insulation is pretty good, it's just the getting rid of the moisture at the moment.

And the mold isn't bad, it's just from where our bookcase was sitting and the mold off of that.

kate

I'll look into it. I mean, it's not really bad at all here, It's just one of those things that's on the to-do list. Thanks for the link though, I'll see what I can find down here that's similar!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Figgy

it actually seems like a fairly standard thing for the houses down here. Most houses have an upstairs and a downstairs, and usually the downstairs has been remodeled, retrofitted something or other to be a different flat completely. Just because as an island nation there's not a lot of room. The place is comfy and fine, the insulation is pretty good, it's just the getting rid of the moisture at the moment.

And the mold isn't bad, it's just from where our bookcase was sitting and the mold off of that.

I'm just mentioning it because I'm 99% sure it's a building code here that every bathroom needs a vent that goes either to the exterior or an uninhabited area, like an attic. Why? It's to prevent mold. And I'm pretty sure if the bathroom has a toilet, a vent is necessary for health code reasons.

And again, it may be completely different where you are, but a small spot of visible mold on your carpet usually means an even larger amount of mold in the carpet pad underneath. There are different kinds of mold, and some are much more harmful than others, but it's usually better to be safe than sorry.

Breathing in mold spores every second you're in your home isn't something you want to be doing. Cozy or not. Just a heads up.

But as far as dehumidifiers go, if you just go to a store where they're sold, you can check the box for recommendations. They'll usually say what type of room they're for/how much square footage is ideal/etc.

Figgy on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Usually codes like that are only for new construction. The water sitting in the U-Bend of a toilet prevents the sewer gasses from entering the house.

Mold in the carpet though? Carpet needs to be replaced.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Usually codes like that are only for new construction. The water sitting in the U-Bend of a toilet prevents the sewer gasses from entering the house.

Mold in the carpet though? Carpet needs to be replaced.

If there's a converted basement without a bathroom vent, I wouldn't be surprised if the toilet wasn't up to code either. And no, the code for bathroom venting is not for new construction, here.

Edit: again, this is in Canada. Either codes are much more lax down under or that apartment is just breaking code. Another example, that kitchen vent that goes into the upstairs sunroom? Against fire code. Separate dwellings must have separate ventillation systems to slow the spread of fire.

Figgy on