As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND: This thread is dead! Go use the new one! :D

• Squid56Squid56 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I will point out to Ring and who ever else is considering the investment, that RB3 is not a panacea to learning how to play the guitar. True, folks have taught themselves for years just by tab, but reality is that as with anything else, to become good, you need to work at it. Work hard. A lot. RB3 takes a lot of the tedium out of doing the rote work, but you still have to put in the time and effort. Playing the guitar (at least to start getting anywhere decent) is a investment in dexterity and muscle memory that simply takes time for your body to learn. There is no shortcut there.

Squid56 on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Couldn't agree more with Squid.

You're not going to learn to play guitar well with Rock Band 3. You'll leanr to play but to learn to play well you'll need more instruction without a doubt. And I say this as someone who can't even play guitar.

Random question time: Is there known bug with Pro Drums with certain songs? I went to a show tonight where the band played some great country covers so I figured I'd play some country drums when I got home and there is no way in hell Suds in the Bucket has that much tom :P

HappylilElf on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm getting closer to being able to play Everlong on drums finally. It's tough, but I'm able to do the chorus and a lot of the verse now.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MYz-fdbmLs

Drummer's animation says "yes it does"

FyreWulff on
    edited May 2011
    Who just went back through the library and bought the Juanes pack?

This guy.

<--

Right here.

FyreWulff on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm getting closer to being able to play Everlong on drums finally. It's tough, but I'm able to do the chorus and a lot of the verse now.

That song is so bad ass to play on drums. The fills are fucking amazing! It's my #1 sont that I want to play on real drums. Is it's the speed that's getting you? Do you have the official dampness (they increase rebound)

Stick with it, an amazing song to drum!

Tommatt on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tommatt wrote: »

That song is so bad ass to play on drums. The fills are fucking amazing! It's my #1 sont that I want to play on real drums. Is it's the speed that's getting you? Do you have the official dampness (they increase rebound)

Yeah beating that on Expert was a golden Rock Band Moment™ for me.

OK so I nearly have all the pro guitar trainer beat - just have Romantic Arpeggio, More Than An Arpeggio and that damned tremelo run thing to beat. Everything else has been conquered.

Sure I can get More Than... it's just a matter of time, no idea why it hasn't clicked already. Romantic... I can't hit with any sort of consistency, and the tremelo run can fuck off and die.

Anyone think the strap that came with the Squier is super shitty? Mine is already destroyed. I mean the axe is quite heavy, far more so than my other guitars (closer to my basses) but man I thought the strap should last more than two weeks, I'm not swinging the thing around doing windmills...

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Hmm. Now I'm wishing I had an .mp3 of it on my iPod because if there's that much on the toms it's really quiet. Exept for one part I couldn't ear any toms over me playing.

Actually I've found myself wishing that about a ton of songs since there's generally a very noticable difference on how well I'm able to play songs that I'm very familiar with and songs that I'm basically sight reading. I get to listen to music on my iPod for sizeable chunk of my workday so it'd be awesome if I could throw together a playlist of all 570ish songs I have. No way I could justify spending that much on iTunes though.

@Fragglefart: Yeah it's not a very good strap at all. I remember putting it on for the first time and thinking it barely felt like a step up from one of the plastic guitar straps.

HappylilElf on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Drummer's animation says "yes it does"

There's almost no tom in that entire song. The chart is just a two-handed shuffle on the snare, that is then moved to the rim of the snare at the end.

The alternative way to chart that type of figure can be seen at the beginning of "The Camera Eye", where they've kept it primarily on red, presumably due to the speed and hi-hat accents.

metaghost on
    edited May 2011

When I mean that, I mean on real drums. I just use Rock Band as a guide. I'm able to play a few songs without RB, such as Cheat On The Church, The Middle, and Just What I needed, which is pretty nice. I can also play Symphony of Destruction, but as far as I know, that song is not on Rock Band.

Bartholamue on
    edited May 2011
    Right got a big fat leather gator-style strap and a bunch of weird new picks to try and beat that damned tremelo tutorial...

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011

When I mean that, I mean on real drums. I just use Rock Band as a guide. I'm able to play a few songs without RB, such as Cheat On The Church, The Middle, and Just What I needed, which is pretty nice. I can also play Symphony of Destruction, but as far as I know, that song is not on Rock Band.

I'll have to check when I get home in a bit but I'm almost positive it's DLC

HappylilElf on
    edited May 2011
    I don't think any tracks from Countdown to Extinction is on Rock Band. The Peace Sells and Rust In Peace albums are on there, plus an additional song, but not CTE...

EDIT: http://www.rockband.com/songs/finder#-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/Megadeth/

Bartholamue on
    edited May 2011
    Ahahaha

My bad

I thought you were still talking about Everlong :P

HappylilElf on
    edited May 2011
    OK fuck Medium, going to play on Hard Pro Axe™ from now on.

And Crazy Train beat.
    Shitty score but eh, first try, drunken sight reading that solo is HARD

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arikado wrote: »
    We would need to hire a therapist and guidance counselor if mspencer told his story. :P
    No therapist, I'm very happy with it.

Basically Rock Band and PAX both have a special place in my heart, as I first saw Rock Band in the expo hall at PAX 07 during Thursday set up.

At PAX 09 I brought my 360 and fancy drum pedal, so the Rock Band Free Play stage on the 2nd floor of the expo hall (where Juice-It moved to) had an ion kit (owned by another Enforcer) and my drum pedal, and my 360 with every possible DLC song. I was insanely happy to see people enjoying it.

I stopped buying every DLC song after PAX 09. I brought my 360 to PAX East 2010 as well, and I think I remember people being a little disappointed that there was hardly any DLC from the previous six months on there.

My copy of RB3 has I think just over 1700 songs. (The counter at the beginning counts up to somewhere in the 600's.) Plus the Ion drum rocker and a few hundred dollars worth of drum accessories (comfy drum throne "for large drummers", DW-4000 double bass pedal, Roland KD-8 drum trigger, and hi-hat and bass pedal kickboxes), plus both pro guitars and now guitar accessories.

Let me put it this way: my employer had a party, and I successfully talked people into letting me bring my Xbox instead of using the entertainment-company-provided Xbox. As it turned out, that company didn't really care much about the game and was just bringing a PS2 copy of Rock Band and some plastic instruments. After the event they approached me and asked if I'd like to loan out my gear (and myself, to run it) for paid events.

I don't plan to make any more major improvements until I finish my degree (MS in CS) and move out to the Seattle area, but I'm seriously considering getting a used keytar with MIDI-out from a music shop, and having enough kit for an entire band of real instruments, all hooked up to RB3. Muhahahaha :-)

Edit: or maybe a MicroKORG so I can play with electric guitar + microphone + vocoder

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know if anybody here is waiting for the Pac-Man Fever stuff, but there has been word recently.
    Hello everyone!

The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated. I've been extremely busy with other things in my life. But I've found the time for this:

RBN2 FIRST LOOK - [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf6Ktjh-z88]&quot;Hyperspace&quot; by Buckner & Garcia[/vidurl]

This means that all four songs from Pac-Man Fever Set 1 are now in the pipeline and should be ready for you guys to enjoy in June. In case you missed the other songs, let me remind you.

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFPwYSH2OuY]Pac-Man Fever[/vidurl]
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKij8ursXJQ]Froggy's Lament[/vidurl]
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX9fEucYXRc]Mousetrap[/vidurl]

However, the likelihood of a June release is a bit optimistic. July is apparently more realistic.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My RB3 song count is like ~780 when we were playing earlier this week, rather higher than I thought it was.

Of course my ION Kit probably pushes me up close to the highest spenders in the thread... especially since I'm going to be replacing my cymbals one of these days...

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2011
    Up to 646 now. 19 away from buying Number of the Beast (Original Version)

Not like it matters much, since people just play the same 10-20 songs or so each time I set it up for a party.

FyreWulff on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm thinking about getting RB3, is this a good idea? I really enjoyed RB2 when I played it.

I want to get a keyboard -- how is it? Not every song seems to have keyboard available, so I'd probably need a guitar too, which brings me to the next question: the local Gamestop has what looks like Rock Band 3 Bass guitars for PS3, and they seem kind of tough to find online, are they any good and/or rare now?

I'm looking to play guitar/keyboard, and the girlfriend is looking to play guitar/sing. Please advise -- the sooner the better. If anyone can give some info within the next few hours, that'd be great.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited May 2011
    If you really liked RB2, then you're going to really like RB3 (well, as long as you don't care about the lack of versus modes)

You can play Guitar and Bass parts with the keyboard, so you don't need a guitar right away. Although some songs on Expert Guitar aren't going to be fun with the keyboard..

All the guitars made by Mad Katz (I assume you were looking at the P-Bass made by them) are pretty good.

While not every song has Keys parts available, if you want to persue getting good at the Pro Keys mode on higher difficulties, the ones on the disk are going to be enough to last you for a while, but a good chunk of post-RB3 DLC has keys in it.

Pro keys charts can range from this in difficulty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-Fa0SU_r4

to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRg1Qaxx9as

FyreWulff on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I think it was the Mad Catz bass. It looks like people are saying that the wireless PS3 one loses connection a lot or something, or are these folks unlucky/playing too far away or something? They definitely look nice.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited May 2011
    I play on 360, but I've never heard of connection issues with the P-Bass from the PS3 players in this thread.

FyreWulff on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why the hell is he playing that with both hands?

Endaro on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Some people aren't very good with...uh...one hand.

And some people think it should be two handed.

I'd be wary of RB3. I still think it's not really much of an upgrade over RB2 and the only reason to get it is that it's the only way to get DLC released since late October. It's not the worst thing at $20. But it can be disappointing if you really, really liked RB2.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2011
    -stream over

Streaming pro keys on various difficulties. Let's see how many lobbies I get booted out of!

edit: well, that was something. Not only nice randoms, but the guitarist chose GG&HT and 93%'d it. It was like catching two Legendary Pokemon at once.

FyreWulff on
    edited May 2011
    I'd be wary of RB3. I still think it's not really much of an upgrade over RB2 and the only reason to get it is that it's the only way to get DLC released since late October. It's not the worst thing at $20. But it can be disappointing if you really, really liked RB2.

I don't get this.

The only reasons to get RB3;

-the only way to get DLC released since late October (which is a lot of damned fine DLC)
    -a pile new songs on disk
    -better options for song sorting
    -better multi-instrument jump-in, jump-out
    -awesome career mode with seemingly endless goals
    -vocal harmonies and keys added
    -and motherfucking pro mode, the best thing to happen to the genre since it's inception <3 with all associated trainers and tutorials for all instruments.

So since the game is so cheap now, if you enjoyed RB and RB2 why wouldn't you pick this game up? Cost of peripherals aside, of course, since yeah, they are 'spensive.

RB3 scored a 10 at both EDGE and Eurogamer for a reason; it's a significant and worthy upgrade over RB2. I mean, if you don't use a pro guitar, or drums, or keys, or have someone to vocally harmonise with, just the 5-button plastic guitar, then I can see why it might be a pretty close experience to RB2 (although even then I've enjoyed the new tracks and career goals for guitar and bass with the plastic axe) but then really that's a problem with the user, not the game - you are given plenty new options as a player. If you choose to ignore them it doesn't mean they aren't there.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're gonna play a lot of multiplayer (and aren't attached to some songs from RB2 + RB1, see the OP) then yeah get RB3. Drop in/drop out + change difficulty mid song is the best thing ever for RB parties.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Much better song sorting, and being able to rate songs into oblivion are enough of a reason to get RB3 over RB2.

chuck steak on
    edited May 2011

I don't get this.

-the only way to get DLC released since late October (which is a lot of damned fine DLC)
    -and motherfucking pro mode, the best thing to happen to the genre since it's inception <3 with all associated trainers and tutorials for all instruments.

1. Already agree. Though 'damned fine' is pushing it if you don't like a lot of classic rock.

2. 83 new songs of a significant hit-or-miss quality. Unless you're of a type that likes everything, there are some pretty weak songs that seemingly only exist to either pad out the total or make the addition of keys worthwhile.

3. Options that don't save between play sessions and are still missing some key choices (Filter by lighter rating anybody?)

4. GH-style 'play anytime' is only useful for parties. I think people overestimate the party nature of a game like this. (People bitch about how BRB is a party killer because they have to switch discs. Sounds like a dreadful party if two minutes is too long to wait for a game to boot up.)

5. The 'career' mode has zero replayability once you've collected all the spades...oh, wait, are you talking about the goal challenges and not the road challenges? Simply playing the game nets most of them anyway. Once completed, they aren't really designed for replayability and if you don't have a particular instrument, then you can't do them anyway. Also, absolutely nothing new has been added since the game released.

6. So what? Harmonies only works with multiple people in the same location and compared to 2000+ songs, there are so few tracks with key support that wanting to play them means being really interested in it. And you cannot play online with a group that contains two guitars. New instrument options is only worthwhile for people who want to play them.

7. Same as six. Touting a new addition as making it worth it without mentioning the added costs to play (not only does it cost an extra dollar for guitar charts, but $150 to $300 just for the gear itself) is more like trying to avoid the unpleasant side of the coin. Liking Pro doesn't make it worth buying a new game that subtracts features and looks a bit like a giraffe's ass.

The video venues are junk, your vaunted sorting options still don't 'hide' non-matching online DLC (or, for that matter, hated songs in general), avatar customisation could require buying specific peripherals, avatar and band options have been severely restricted, World Tour is gone and replaced with a mode that stops being worthwhile once completed, and the new instruments don't enjoy as wide a support as the old ones.

After seven months and a $20 price tag, it's easier to recommend, but it is not the universal better experience that you claim. Your enthusiasm for the title is quite like seeing Forum Members tell everybody else that they're stupid for not wanting to buy the whole Ozzy pack when all they wanted was the two exclusive songs. Not everybody is looking for the same thing you are.

I get why you like it. It gives you what you want. But it doesn't give me what I want. Why should I be enthusiastic about a game like that?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2011
    I am slightly confused by the omission of sort-by-genre and sort-by-year. I know you can omit/include by genre and decade, but not being able to sort the music by it is kind of weird. Was nice in RB2 when the people playing wanted to play songs within a certain date range.

FyreWulff on
    edited May 2011
    I do agree on some points. For every good thing that RB3 adds, HMX took a few steps back. Anyway, my point being, if you're looking for a good multiplayer experience it isn't a waste of money. To be honest, GH2 had the best single player experience with its song selection. Nostalgia be damned :P.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited May 2011
    double post!

EDIT: Might as well make the most of it. Harmonies & Pro modes are really for the hardcore crowd. They're not as pick and play as the 5 lane instruments.

lionheart_m on
    edited May 2011
    The GH2 list was fine with just the on disc songs.. but RB1 showed how poorly it works when you release more than 10 DLC tracks for your game.

It was very evident that RB1's interface was designed with the assumption that they'd stop shipping DLC for it a month or so after release. I'd hate to play RB1 on a console that has all the DLC.

I mean come on, jumping to the top of the list when you change the sort option? REALLY?

FyreWulff on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    being able to use 3 microphones at the same time regardless of whether a song actually has harmonies or not has increased fun tenfold for my RB experience

MrDelish on
    edited May 2011
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. It's fun to "co-op" a Solo Expert Vocals song with multiple mics. Collective effort to 100% phrases.

FyreWulff on
    edited May 2011

I don't get this.

So since the game is so cheap now, if you enjoyed RB and RB2 why wouldn't you pick this game up? Cost of peripherals aside, of course, since yeah, they are 'spensive.

RB3 scored a 10 at both EDGE and Eurogamer for a reason; it's a significant and worthy upgrade over RB2. I mean, if you don't use a pro guitar, or drums, or keys, or have someone to vocally harmonise with, just the 5-button plastic guitar, then I can see why it might be a pretty close experience to RB2 (although even then I've enjoyed the new tracks and career goals for guitar and bass with the plastic axe) but then really that's a problem with the user, not the game - you are given plenty new options as a player. If you choose to ignore them it doesn't mean they aren't there.

1. Already agree. Though 'damned fine' is pushing it if you don't like a lot of classic rock.

2. 83 new songs of a significant hit-or-miss quality. Unless you're of a type that likes everything, there are some pretty weak songs that seemingly only exist to either pad out the total or make the addition of keys worthwhile.

3. Options that don't save between play sessions and are still missing some key choices (Filter by lighter rating anybody?)

4. GH-style 'play anytime' is only useful for parties. I think people overestimate the party nature of a game like this. (People bitch about how BRB is a party killer because they have to switch discs. Sounds like a dreadful party if two minutes is too long to wait for a game to boot up.)

5. The 'career' mode has zero replayability once you've collected all the spades...oh, wait, are you talking about the goal challenges and not the road challenges? Simply playing the game nets most of them anyway. Once completed, they aren't really designed for replayability and if you don't have a particular instrument, then you can't do them anyway. Also, absolutely nothing new has been added since the game released.

6. So what? Harmonies only works with multiple people in the same location and compared to 2000+ songs, there are so few tracks with key support that wanting to play them means being really interested in it. And you cannot play online with a group that contains two guitars. New instrument options is only worthwhile for people who want to play them.

7. Same as six. Touting a new addition as making it worth it without mentioning the added costs to play (not only does it cost an extra dollar for guitar charts, but $150 to $300 just for the gear itself) is more like trying to avoid the unpleasant side of the coin. Liking Pro doesn't make it worth buying a new game that subtracts features and looks a bit like a giraffe's ass.

The video venues are junk, your vaunted sorting options still don't 'hide' non-matching online DLC (or, for that matter, hated songs in general), avatar customisation could require buying specific peripherals, avatar and band options have been severely restricted, World Tour is gone and replaced with a mode that stops being worthwhile once completed, and the new instruments don't enjoy as wide a support as the old ones.

After seven months and a $20 price tag, it's easier to recommend, but it is not the universal better experience that you claim. Your enthusiasm for the title is quite like seeing Forum Members tell everybody else that they're stupid for not wanting to buy the whole Ozzy pack when all they wanted was the two exclusive songs. Not everybody is looking for the same thing you are.

I get why you like it. It gives you what you want. But it doesn't give me what I want. Why should I be enthusiastic about a game like that?

1. Cool, although I'd guess most people buying DLC for Rock Band at this point are mostly fans of classic rock, there are still piles of other genres represented via 'official' RB tracks and RBN.

2. I see what you mean with hit-or-miss, but RB3 shipped with some songs I LOVE, many I'm kinda indifferent to (some of which are now my favourites to play) and a pile of unknowns (to me). But that was also the case with RB2 and RB so... I'm not sure why this is a problem?

3. Not saving betwen sessions isn't a deal-breaker for me, the fact the options are there is impressive. Sorting is streamlined and only takes a second if you throw together a playlist. Filter by lighters is a cool idea though.

4. I dunno, even with just a couple of you the instrument profile switching is so much better than the RB2 system. But I say this as someone who regularly switches between vocals, drums, guitars and bass (both plastic and pro) on a bunch of different difficulties. This alone is worth the upgrade to RB3 IMHO.

5. I thought the 'spades' style career mode pretty much sucked, I certainly agree the world tour mode was better. But I disagree about the career goals though; while some unlock through normal play, there are also loads I've tried to earn. I have found myself going back to this section time and time again, on multiple instruments. I've put a lot of time into the game and have loads left to do here, and I'm not bored. If anything, this section most closely reminds me of the old GHII - GHIII list, trying to beat all songs on all difficulties etc. The fact that you can select certain objectives and launch straight into those songs is pretty awesome. Although I agree with you that having new goals added once in a while would be cool, like how certain goals only show up for certain DLC or songs - like the AC/DC disk import.

6. Limited support for new songs is still new features with new support. And adding support for all 2000+ is an unrealistic expectation, kinda reeks of entitlement. Like I said, just because you aren't interested in new features doesn't mean they aren't there. When you say 'I'd be wary of RB3. I still think it's not really much of an upgrade over RB2 and the only reason to get it is that it's the only way to get DLC released since late October' while dismissing any new features because you aren't personally interested in them, it's not really the fault of the game. I mean what do you want them to do, turn it into a platform game? :P

7. Um, I specifically mentioned the price - but you cut it from my quote! (I've added it back in.) I like the video venues, add a bit of variety from the 'dingy rat den - rock club - main stage - arena' progression path that I've played to death. I think they are nicey done! Also I like being able to see what DLC other folk's have online, I wouldn't want them to hide non-matching DLC. Similarly, I like wearing my DLC with pride!

How have avatar and band options been 'severely restricted'? I honestly don't know what you mean by this, I remade my characters ok so... do you mean how you have to unlock different outfits through progression with all the goals? I don't see a problem there, gives you something to try and earn. Having everything in the shop from the outset would be a bit boring wouldn't it? IIRC all the other games (both GH and RB) made you earn things, no?
    Your enthusiasm for the title is quite like seeing Forum Members tell everybody else that they're stupid for not wanting to buy the whole Ozzy pack when all they wanted was the two exclusive songs. Not everybody is looking for the same thing you are.

Has anyone here actually said that? I haven't, so please don't strawman me with that argument.

I mean dude, while I certainly appreciate your reply (interesting to read another opinion which contrasts so much with my own experience), if all you ever play is the same 5-button plastic guitar that we've been using since Guitar Hero and don't want to bother with any of the new instruments or Pro features then it isn't really that surprising that you are experiencing a sense of deja vu. But to state that nothing has been added and people might as well buy RB2 for the same experience, that just doesn't make sense. Especially since Kaseius' original question weighed heavily towards the keyboard peripheral - you can only play that in RB3.

I'm staggered by the amount of content that has made it's way into RB3, but then I play plastic guitar and bass, pro drums, pro guitar and vocals regularly solo and with other people on a myriad of different difficulties per instrument depending on the song or who I'm playing alongside; folks that often use keys (I've not got around to buying yet, but have played with and enjoyed using) and a mixture of all the plastic and pro guitars, drums and vocals. And who are all similarly impressed with what RB3 offers over 2. But hey, I've also played real guitar and bass for umpteen years and just don't get 'burnt out' on rock and roll... it's a Big Deal™ to me.

While your lamentation for the lost World Tour is understandable, and to an extent I agree (although I never got through the whole tour in 2, it got kinda stale after the first five-or-so countries), had they released RB3 without the Career Goals and Road 'spades' Challenge, defaulting to the World Tour progression, surely that would have represented more repetition, and less innovation?

So, moving forward, what is it you would like to see in the game for say, Rock Band 4 that could be understood as progressive and significant changes for the core 'plastic guitar' gameplay? Are such changes even possible without alienating existing customers? Has this progression not already been realised with the technically-accomplished Squier Pro Mode with associated trainers and tutorials but the cost is simply too high a barrier to entry for you, personally? I'm sure you are not alone in that line of thinking.

Phew - long post is long, but like I said, I'm interested in your opinion.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Lack of customization options...I think he means that certain costumes that previously were bought with ingame cash are now locked behind some challenges. Like Pro Guitar Expert Challenges for instance. I get that you have to give rewards for some goals but it's kinda crappy that you can't really recreate your RB2 avatar unless you spend XXX amount of cash buying the Keyboard when all you do is Guitar.

lionheart_m on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, and I think some of my avatar gear is locked behind Endless Setlist III and saving a failed bandmate 40 times.

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2011
    Not a strawman. Notice it's a comparison? And when I capitalise Forum like that, I refer to the Official Forums (where many are currently insisting that people who only want the exclusive Ozzy tracks are 'ignorant' among other things). So the comparison is apt, since what you like isn't what everybody else likes, too.

Take out keys and Pro and RB3 has nothing new to offer other than new on-disc songs. Whole segments of previously available gameplay are gone and the graphics and animations are not as good. Sometimes significantly worse. Since I don't care for keys and Pro, what the hell would you expect me to say?

I wanted RB3 to be an improvement on RB2 and I feel that didn't happen. And I will not positively recommend a game that only gets 'fun' by spending extra money on new peripherals. You will simply not be able to convince me otherwise. RB3 is a lateral, and somewhat mediocre, addition to the genre.

Santa Claustrophobia on