As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blu-ray on a PC] Help! I need a decent player app

StormwatcherStormwatcher BleghBlughRegistered User regular
So I got this Samsung BD-ROM drive for my pc, because they're a lot cheaper than standalone TV players.

None of the free players worked with my disks (The Pacific, Fight Club), so I gave up and bought a Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 upgrade license (the shitty v7 one that came with the drive never worked). It worked bad, but worked.

Then I upgraded from a Radeon 4850 to a 6870 and PowerDVD stopped STARTING alltogether. It seems that Radeons from 5xxx up don't work with that piece of crap software.

So what can I try? KMplayer can't run my disks.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
camo_sig2.png
Stormwatcher on

• khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You could try TotalMedia Theatre or Win DvD both have free trials on their websites so you can see if it works before you buy.

khain on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I use Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater because it intergrates with Windows Media Center. The free trials is a good idea.

Dark Shroud on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hum, Arcsoft is also so expensive. I'm gonna try the, well, trial.
    Man I hate this whole Blu-ray business so much. Proprietary formats at their worse. You gotta pay and pay and pay and it never works very well at all, thanks to all the "security" bullshit.

Gimme open-formats any day of the week.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I use TMT5, and while it could be cheaper, I've had no issues with it. Integrated into media center with media browser.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
    edited May 2011
    All the Blu-ray playback software is around $100 USD. And FYI no open format is as good as the formats used in Blu-ray. It's not even about the "format" it's the DRM used that's causing this problem. I bought a lifetime license for AnyDVD HD, it was more expensive than TMT5, it was worth it.

Dark Shroud on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do any good Blu ray drives come with good software? Or are we all stuck with free trials? I've been wanting to fill in that empty slot on my PC with a BR Writer, but we're just at the point where it sounds like even good drives cost less than getting a long license for a decent BR software player.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2011
    Some of the drives come with copies of PowerDVD of some soft. You just have to read the details and not buy OEM models.

I bought a OEM LiteOn BD-Rom drive for $40 last Black Friday.

Dark Shroud on
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thing about BluRays is that it's not just about getting the software, but the updated versions of the software.

For instance, the BDRom drive I got came with a copy of PowerDVD, works great, but every now and then I get a BD that doesn't play properly. A week or so later there's an updated version of the software that I have to install.

BluRays are a funny beast. To the average consumer the above sounds crazy, but in reality even BluRay players need firmware updates to play some of the newer discs that come out.

If you did buy a of PowerDVD, make sure that you are running the latest version of the one you got. The updates get released every couple months or so.

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was thinking of getting a Bluray for my PC as well, now I'm not so sure.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    powerDVD is such a bullshit piece of software. 9 came with my blu ray drive and it's supposed to be upgradeable to 10 but this is apparently impossible to actually do!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited May 2011
    I've heard people make that complaint before. Which is why I just bought the cheap oem drive that works great and bought software later.

Dark Shroud on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm just worried about certain software not working with certain BR players, before firmware updates (and then, certain firmware updates not being made available for certain drives). OEM BR writers are actually not that expensive anymore.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2011
    The whole update and license thing is just bullshit
    Out of the box, I can't play disks on MPC-HC or KM Player. Then I installed ANY DVD HD, and bam, those two programs started playing BD movies perfectly.

That shows that the entire "you need to buy software" shit is just the proprietary standard FUCKING the consumer up the ass. AnyDVD HD breaks down the controlling bullshit and lets the PC work as intended. And I bought the fucking hardware and the fucking disk, and that's still NOT GOOD ENOUGH for those motherfuckers at Sony.

PowerDVD does'nt work with Radeons post 5xxx. Because it's fucking shit. and they're not gonna do anything about it. But hey, the same disks are decoded PERFECTLY when AnyDVD removes all the consumer-hostile SHIT they inserted in that shitty Blu-Ray standard. I payed a lot of money for that crap and now I'll have to pay another lot of money. Fuck the industry.

Yeah, I'm really pissed off at this absurd crap they're pulling, and i'm pretty furious about how Sony managed to create that pinnacle of bullshit and people reward them with their money.

I'm thinking of never ever buying a blu-ray ever again, I'll do every single thing I can to support DD solutions and kill physical media forever.

How can people buy the players and software and disks and rebuy that shit all over again and think it's fine? PowerDVD wants to make you pay again and again EVERY YEAR.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011
    As others have said, buy TMT, not PowerDVD. As you can see in here, no one responded back with powerdvd.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    edited May 2011
    I'm not answering anyone specifically, i'm just deeply annoyed with the amount of goosery Sony is pulling off.

And the simple fact that I need to pay another $90 for another one-year licence just because of DRM is freaking retarded. I already bought a bunch of stuff, all I'm actually paying is a "Sony-says-fuck-you-customer" fee. My current software (MPC-HC and KMplayer) is perfectly capable of decoding the video.

Thanks for the people willing to help, anyway.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011
    It's not the format genuis, its the DRM that's blocking playback. AnyDVD works as a driver the blocks the DRM between the drive and the rest of the system. If you want hardware you can get a HDFury.

I can brake the BD protection and just copy the disc minus the DRM and the AVC or VC-1 encodes will play just fine. I'm just glad they're not using giant mpeg4 files.

And no Sony is only part of the BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) that created Blu-ray & the DRM. In fact the original BD DRM was less restrictive, the studios asked them to make the DRM stronger.

Dark Shroud on
    edited May 2011
    There is no simple fact that you need to pay $90 a year. That's PowerDVDs stupid policy, be mad at them, not anyone else.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    edited May 2011
    was just gonna post that. this isn't a sony issue at all, it's a retarded powerdvd issue. (as an aside my OEM version of PowerDVD9 works totally fine with my Radeon 6950, which is above the 5xxxx level)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited May 2011
    It's not the format genuis, its the DRM that's blocking playback. AnyDVD works as a driver the blocks the DRM between the drive and the rest of the system. If you want hardware you can get a HDFury.

I can brake the BD protection and just copy the disc minus the DRM and the AVC or VC-1 encodes will play just fine. I'm just glad they're not using giant mpeg4 files.

And no Sony is only part of the BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) that created Blu-ray & the DRM. In fact the original BD DRM was less restrictive, the studios asked them to make the DRM stronger.

By format I mean the entire Blu-Ray thing. Not just the video and audio encoding. That includes the DRM.

I don't want to have work to watch the movies. I want to pop the disk and watch. Is that too much too ask? I already payed the studios and license holders.

And the only reason I have to pay for a stupid bloated program, instead of just watching movies on KM Player or MPC-HC is the whole licensing model. If they didn't make me pay 3 times for the right to watch a movie (hardware license, software license, movie license), I could use any program. There is nothing in Arcsoft TMT or PowerDVD that would make me buy them over using perfectly good free apps, other than the whole licensing bullshit.

Maybe PowerDVD 9 works fine on all radeons, but 10 doesn't. And the OEM version that came with the Disk Drive didn't work at all. So I was forced to upgrade.

Finally, Sony is the one major driving force behind the entire mountain of feces. They're the ones pushing it.

Blu-Ray is giving me grief and making me pay for the protection of THEIR interests. Besides high res and top sound, which can be done with free software and open formats, what does Blu-Ray give me? Online HDef digital movies are a billion times more interesing.

And that is why there's so much piracy for movies. BLu-Ray is so chock-full of customer-hostile crap that it drives people away. I rue the day I got that stupid drive to watch the Pacific Blu-Ray my dad got me.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011
    just don't.. use powerdvd?

lotta hostility in that post!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited May 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    just don't.. use powerdvd?

lotta hostility in that post!

I'm going to not use it.
    And it's gonna cost me US$ 100 (ok, $70 if I buy it till tomorrow, woopy)

Please note that I'm not directing it to any poster here, it's just such a fundamentally wrong situation, consumer-right-wise. Once again proprietary formats (and I mean format as a whole, not encoding) screw with us.

Just imagine you are forced to buy a special monitor and a special program just to open image files, say, gifs.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I only have one monitor that's HDCP compliant. Had I known you had a run in with PowerDVD I would have tried to be more friendly. I tired that program once years ago, I think it was v6 that came with a burner. I don't know how tha software is still around.

Dark Shroud on
    edited May 2011
    don't know how tha software is still around.
    so true
    ugh
    i hate everything that cyberlink does as a company. they are immense assholes

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Threads like this are a big part of the reason I am a DVD holdout.

Gaslight on
    edited May 2011
    blu rays work great in standalone players, this is purely a pc issue and it really is bullshit

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, but circumstances mean I end up doing 90% of my watching on my PC.

Gaslight on
  • centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got a Blu-Ray burner for my PC that came with PowerDVD. Monitor is not HDCP, though, so I still haven't been able to make use of it. Not really PowerDVD's fault, as it's a requirement for Blu-Ray playback. Still kind of sucks.

centraldogma on
    When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
    edited May 2011
    Got a Blu-Ray burner for my PC that came with PowerDVD. Monitor is not HDCP, though, so I still haven't been able to make use of it. Not really PowerDVD's fault, as it's a requirement for Blu-Ray playback. Still kind of sucks.

And whenever you have to update softwares or firmwares, it's because they upgraded the whole security crap.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2011
    If your monitor isn't HDCP compliant you need either AnyDVD or a HD Fury.

Dark Shroud on