As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] We cant find anything unless its ad takes up 3/4ths of the Store page

DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
gentlesteam.png

steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

Midweek Madness

capsule_467x181.jpg capsule_467x181.jpg
Both titles are -66% off.

Daily Deal

header_292x136.jpg?t=1308762021
-50% [strike]$19.99[/strike] $9.99

Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?

SteamGameSales.com is that very place.

2. Can I register this __Insert Game Here__ on Steam?

Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?

No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

4. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?

Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

Helpful Stuff

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons
Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

http://www.ddgamer.com/signatures.php. Select Avatar from the drop down list.

You need to delete your Avatar under:
Edit Avatar

Then add that URL in the Avatar URL field in:
Edit Your Details

Also, the border changes colour based on if you're online, offline or in-game.

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Decoy on

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Terraria and Frozen Synapse complete me. Or own me. Or completely own me.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am so happy with the mass effects. And now that I have a renegade run and a paragon run of ME1, I don't need to go back to it.

Fencingsax on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Go away for a weekend and I miss an entire thread.

Nothing new here!

Icemopper on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Finally installed my new video card, a Radeon HD 5850. A bit of a jump from my old 8800GT, but honestly, that old thing was holding up pretty well. But still, I celebrated by booting up Crysis and moving everything to "high" just to see how nicely it ran.

SteevL on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's been hours, still waiting on my GamersGate payment to go through. Is this normal?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's been hours, still waiting on my GamersGate payment to go through. Is this normal?

My purchase of Metro 2033 was pretty quick, but by no means instantaneous. The only excuse I think they maybe have is it being a holiday in the states. Still, I would agree that shouldnt matter.

Decoy on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    I don't see myself buying Frozen Synapse, as much as I'd love to play it. The fact that they're only selling 2-packs really puts me off.

You can't look at it like they're selling 2-packs, you gotta think of it as YOU'RE GETTING A FREE COPY OF THE GAME TO GIVE TO A FRIEND, HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THAT?

Also, it seriously wouldn't be hard for you to find someone here who'd be willing to split the cost with you.

Heh heh. Two problems:

1) I don't want the game badly enough to consider it worth $20.
    2) I don't have paypal. :P

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I am so happy with the mass effects. And now that I have a renegade run and a paragon run of ME1, I don't need to go back to it.

Two more days until my new computer arrives. I can almost taste my rachni-freeing, Council-apathetic, Garrus-romancing femshep.

Captain Carrot on
    edited May 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Two more days until my new computer arrives. I can almost taste my rachni-freeing, Council-apathetic, Garrus-romancing femshep.

:winky:

Triple B on
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ha! I predicted after the weekend's awesome sales that Monday's sale would be totally sucktastic.

Dangerbird on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't see myself buying Frozen Synapse, as much as I'd love to play it. The fact that they're only selling 2-packs really puts me off.

You can't look at it like they're selling 2-packs, you gotta think of it as YOU'RE GETTING A FREE COPY OF THE GAME TO GIVE TO A FRIEND, HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THAT?

Also, it seriously wouldn't be hard for you to find someone here who'd be willing to split the cost with you.

Heh heh. Two problems:

It's not like it's hard to set up a Paypal account, ya know. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fuck Vegas two has one (for me) almost game breaking issue. I am playing the game full screen and for what ever reason, the game doesnt understand that. So if my mouse is 'on' my second monitor (which i cant tell because its still letting me move in game) and I try to click, back to the desktop I go!

Aside from that and the friendly AI being fucking stupid at the 'go here' command. Its been a lot of fun so far. More challenging than what I've been used to as of late (cod/bc2).

projectmayhem on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Or someone to buy the pack and you just gift them some 10$ game in return. Least thats how I roll. Pfft, paypaling money around. Moar gaimz = better.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just bought Just Cause 2 from GamersGate and activated the serial on Steam. I'd never done that before, but man, Steamworks is a great feature!

Cannon Goose on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You people weren't kidding when you said Splinter Cell Conviction wasn't very Splinter Cell-y.
    I feel like the body count from the first level was greater than the body count from my playthrough of the first 3 games.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for making the thread again Decoy, I'm still in jail for "raping" a frog (the frog consented but the law doesn't consider frogs to be sentient so no OPs for me).

TychoCelchuuu on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for making the thread again Decoy, I'm still in jail for "raping" a frog (the frog consented but the law doesn't consider frogs to be sentient so no OPs for me).

No problem. Just keeping the seat warm. :)

Decoy on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Decoy wrote: »

My purchase of Metro 2033 was pretty quick, but by no means instantaneous. The only excuse I think they maybe have is it being a holiday in the states. Still, I would agree that shouldnt matter.

Oh great.. it's going to take up to 5 days for the pay-pal payment to go through. Oh well, the game isn't going anywhere.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited May 2011
    I do hope Kasumi and Shadow Broker go on sale before I get to Omega. Then again, seeing as how I own NWN2, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, Arcanum, PS:T and KotOR, but have only finished the last two, it's entirely possible that I'll get bogged down somewhere in ME and not finish it for ages.

Captain Carrot on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Heh heh. Two problems:

1) The game is absolutely worth $20, plus either the joy of gifting a copy to a bud or getting a $10 rebate by contacting any one of the various folks asking for a partner.
    2) Get with the times!

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited May 2011
    So I've always sort of felt a little weird about you guys and your mania with making your Steam libraries so massive, but now I realize that at least you want the games for the sake of having the games, whereas I am sitting here wishing I had bought more stuff because I'm running out of games to recommend.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So Just Cause 2 is currently $5 on D2D, and IIRC it's one of the games where you can just plug the CD key into steam.

If you don't already own this, $5 is a ridiculous price for such a huge game.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I do hope Kasumi and Shadow Broker go on sale before I get to Omega. Then again, seeing as how I own NWN2, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, Arcanum, PS:T and KotOR, but have only finished the last two, it's entirely possible that I'll get bogged down somewhere in ME and not finish it for ages.

I don't think the ME2 DLC has ever gone on sale, so you might as well pony up the Bioware funbucks now.

I did finally get around to finishing Jade Empire this month, so now I can officially mope about there never being a sequel.

Lawndart on
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've always sort of felt a little weird about you guys and your mania with making your Steam libraries so massive, but now I realize that at least you want the games for the sake of having the games, whereas I am sitting here wishing I had bought more stuff because I'm running out of games to recommend.

Good lord Tycho, you reviewed Ricochet too? That's amazing.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Lepwave wrote: »

I actually liked Ricochet. It was fun. It also popped up in the wild days of Steam and nobody knew what it was or why we had it, just that everyone suddenly could play Ricochet.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I actually liked Ricochet. It was fun. It also popped up in the wild days of Steam and nobody knew what it was or why we had it, just that everyone suddenly could play Ricochet.

Yeah, it was a pretty sudden add on, I think I played that game for a hour with a couple of friends from CS, jumping around and decapitating each other was fairly amusing.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Oh great.. it's going to take up to 5 days for the pay-pal payment to go through. Oh well, the game isn't going anywhere.
    holy cow really? So happy I used the payment brokers options now instead

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the PC DLC never seems to go on sale for ME2/DA2. Thankfully I got it on the cheaps on a 360 sale, it's all quite excellent. Shadow Broker is practically required.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited May 2011

It's not like it's hard to set up a Paypal account, ya know. :P
    Figgy wrote: »

1) The game is absolutely worth $20, plus either the joy of gifting a copy to a bud or getting a $10 rebate by contacting any one of the various folks asking for a partner.
    2) Get with the times!

I talked about this in the last thread or perhaps the one before. PayPal's security is ASS. My money was stolen from my checking account by the same Israeli fuckwad (not being racist, he seriously was from Israel, found him on Facebook) twice over the course of a year and a half. And yes I changed my login information after the first time. The second occurrence resulted in an overdraft fee from my bank which PayPal refused to cover. They basically did nothing other than put the money I *had* back in my account. No apologies, no measures taken, nothing. I closed my PayPal account and stuck them on my "assholes I'm never doing business with again" list.

Triple B on
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    the PC DLC never seems to go on sale for ME2/DA2. Thankfully I got it on the cheaps on a 360 sale, it's all quite excellent. Shadow Broker is practically required.

If you get the chance you can always opt for the EA's store birthday code or recyclebank codes and use those to buy Bioware points at a decent discount at the EA store.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

So never use GamersGate? That's what I'm taking away from this tale for myself.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited May 2011
    Pajama_Man wrote: »

If you get the chance you can always opt for the EA's store birthday code or recyclebank codes and use those to buy Bioware points at a decent discount at the EA store.

I am intrigued. Tell me more.

Captain Carrot on
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When it's your "b-day", EA Store sends a 25% coupon code to your email. The code was valid on any item in the EA Store including the 800 and 1600 Bioware points when I used it back in January.

The recyclebank.com promos I'm not 100% sure if they'll work since it say's "$10 off any in-stock PC game, including digital download!" and I'm not sure if the points qualify as a PC game even though the Bioware points are a PC only thing (not MS points or PSN cash).

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Just bought JC2 off GamersGate using Paypal, just made a new account and verified my email address and got the serial code almost instantly. Purchasing through to starting the download with Steam didn't even take 2 minutes for me so dunno what the problem is.

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've never had a problem with GamersGate or Paypal. Steam is still my primary digital game store though.

I'm fairly strict with my computer/internet's security, though.

edit: My wife is from Canada, and when she had to go back for a few months due to family issues, we transferred money quickly and easily through Paypal, never had any trouble. I am not defending them, just giving my side of the experience.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Loving the thread title, good work Decoy :lol:

And add another into the no Paypal troubles camp. Ofcourse when trouble does come, it'll hurt like hell.

Big Classy on
    edited May 2011
    Riqa wrote: »

Just bought JC2 off GamersGate using Paypal, just made a new account and verified my email address and got the serial code almost instantly. Purchasing through to starting the download with Steam didn't even take 2 minutes for me so dunno what the problem is.
    Your eCheck bank payment of $4.99 USD to GamersGate AB (andreas@gamersgate.com)is in progress.
    eChecks usually take 3-5 business days to process (estimated: 6/2/2011-6/6/2011). We advise merchants not to ship items until they receive payment.
    I just clicked on paypal payment and that's what happened.

The_Spaniard on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I love me some Tycho reviews, but the X-Com one hurts my brain.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tuesdays and thursdays, waiting for the sales to pop up, always makes me giddy. I'm such a sad individual.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I also hotly anticipate Steam sales. I don't usually actually buy what's offered, but I love the anticipation.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif