As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yahoo Mail Account Spamming Contacts

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
I've been informed by several of my Yahoo Mail contacts (namely family) that they've been routinely receiving email spam, with my account listed as the sender. I took a look at a couple of these emails, and it is usually written in the form of "Hey 'Contact Name', check out this website!" followed by a link that is immediately flagged as dangerous by most antivirus/spam filters. The messages are also sent out to multiple contacts at once.

I'm looking for advice on how to handle this situation, as I can't find any sort of support line for Yahoo Mail. I've been thinking of just nuking my account, as it's become more and more obsolete, while Gmail is far less likely to receive spam. But there's a lot of important places that has my Yahoo account on file, and it would be a bit of a pain to have them all changed.

So I hope you can help me take care of this annoyance.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Change your password.

Also, stop using Yahoo Mail.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I have changed it, although it's a password I used previously with the account. Would it make a difference to create a brand new, never-used password?

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes

That would be a good idea.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Something with letters and numbers.

That would be ideal.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Upper and lowercase.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I had the same issue with a hotmail account a few months back, which prompted me to up the strength of my passwords. The spamming stopped immediately.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, I came up with something new. Let's see what happens.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind a quick method to nuking the account forever, just because Gmail is far away superior.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Gmail isn't immune to hacking either. Had a couple people shoot me spammy emails in the past couple weeks.

Yahoo should have instructions on how to cancel an account on their site.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can cancel a Yahoo account by visiting their account termination page. It's located here, which should prompt you to log in (check for your sign-in seal). I got the instructions from Yahoo's help page.

Before you cancel the account, take a look in your sent mail folder. Are the messages your contacts are mentioning in there? If someone indeed got into your Yahoo account and sent those messages, they might still be there. More troubling: If someone got into your Yahoo account, they pinched your password somehow. There are numerous ways this could happen, but I'd still check your local machine for keyloggers using a malware scanner (preferably MalwareBytes). If you've got something like that on your machine, changing your password from a compromised system, or migrating to another email account, won't much help. Again, numerous other non-malware methods could have been used - but better safe than sorry.

Also, if and when you migrate to Gmail in total, I'd recommend using their two factor authentication to increase security.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Google has the 2 factor authentication now if you want to be super secure.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."