As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phthano's Bad Art Emporium

2»

• Options
    PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    100_1271.jpg

Phthano on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    100_1281.jpg
    100_1292.jpg
    100_1283.jpg
    100_1285.jpg

Phthano on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey Phthano, you might want to consider using a softer lead pencil? (2b or 4b are my favourites), or is that just an impression i'm getting from bad scanning/ pictures?
    maybe even paper with a wee bit of a grain, because the graphite shining in that bruce lee picture (is it bruce lee? the 1st one) makes it look like it was done on printing paper.

Rendering-wise my main gripe with your portraits is the values. You have deeeep darks, and extreme highlights and nothing in between. (no grays anywhere). Perhaps you can map out the colour areas before you start colouring them?

I think this can be helped by studying some face structure drawigns (like the loomis one you did a few posts up).
    Instead of trying to copy portraits, aim to learn about facial structure. Try to get the hang of a simplified means or representing a face and then look for that structure in the portraits you're copying. You can even trace pictures to spot the key features.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The_Glad_Hatter: Thanks for the input. I've been using a 2b and an .5 HB mechanical pencil for most of these. I need to study facial structure more, obviously. I'm using normal Strathmore drawing paper for all of these, including the Bruce Lee one. My rendering needs a looot of work, I know.

Phthano on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    100_1301.jpg
    100_1303.jpg

Phthano on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've been drawing still, just posting less as it is exam season.
    100_1331.jpg

Phthano on
  • Options
    john-briner-artjohn-briner-art Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hello, Phthanos. Just through looking at your sketches, and I think you're doing a good job. It's nice to know that you're posting your artworks to improve your skills. Keep on drawing! ;-)

john-briner-art on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    100_1382.jpg
    Pluggin' away.

Phthano on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You've definitely improved a lot over the course of this thread. Keep it up!

You may have moved past this problem a good deal already, so ignore me if I'm telling you something you already know, but something that really helps when doing studies is to be constantly comparing the proportions of things in the photograph that your drawing from with your picture. Ask yourself things like "How many eye-widths is the edge of the eye from the edge of the face, are the two eyes the same size? How many nose-lengths long is the entire face, how many lip-lengths are between the bottom of the lips and the bottom of the chin?" Actually use your pencil as a ruler to measure these things out, and don't be afraid to erase large swaths of the picture and redraw them if you realize that things are placed incorrectly in proportion to each other.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    Actually use your pencil as a ruler to measure these things out, and don't be afraid to erase large swaths of the picture and redraw them if you realize that things are placed incorrectly in proportion to each other.
    I have been doing these things and measuring like crazy. Also, your avatar and icon set are great. PantSto Gorillaz.

I will update exponentially more in the coming months, as I will be done with this semester of college.

Phthano on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    sweetowl.jpg

Phthano on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like the rustic styling of this but the colors seem sort of funky. This might just be because I am viewing the thread from my phone. I'll try to come up with a more specific crit tonight if I have time. It is good to see you branch out a bit from pencils though and trying some new things. :)

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I like the rustic styling of this but the colors seem sort of funky. This might just be because I am viewing the thread from my phone. I'll try to come up with a more specific crit tonight if I have time. It is good to see you branch out a bit from pencils though and trying some new things. :)
    I spent a lot of time thinking about the colors, so I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

Phthano on