As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND: This thread is dead! Go use the new one! :D

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, starting tomorrow, XBL is having a sale on some DLC:
    Some DLC packs are going to be on sale next week:

Avenged Sevenfold Pack 01 - 33% off
    "Nightmare"
    "Scream"
    "Seize the Day"

All That Remains Pack 01 - 33% off
    "Chiron"
    "This Calling"
    "Two Weeks"

Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance (Album) - 33% off
    "Bloodstone"
    "Devil's Child"
    "Fever"
    "The Hellion/Electric Eye"
    "Pain And Pleasure"
    "Riding on the Wind"
    "Screaming For Vengeance"
    "(Take These) Chains"
    "You've Got Another Thing Comin'"

Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood (Album) - 33% off
    "Dr. Feelgood"
    "Slice of Your Pie"
    "Rattlesnake Shake"
    "Kickstart My Heart"
    "Without You"
    "Same Ol' Situation"
    "Sticky Sweet"
    "She Goes Down"
    "Don't Go Away Mad"
    "Time For Change"

Ozzy Osbourne Pack 01 - 33% off
    "Crazy Babies"
    "Diggin' Me Down"
    "I Don't Wanna Stop"
    "Let Me Hear You Scream"
    "No More Tears"
    "Soul Sucker"

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/AceyBongos/sta...46576997629953

AceyBongos is some MS social marketing manager or somesuch.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can anyone recommend a good guide for repairing a RB2 Fender controller? My red button is becoming painful to play, and now that I actually own RB3 I really want to give this game a fair shake.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're playing essentially 1/7th of the game exclusively after X amount of games, then yeah, you won't be impressed with Rock Band 3 or any of the later Guitar Heroes.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How the hell is someone supposed to get better at Pro Guitar? I can do a heck of a lot better on real guitar, but I'm still stuck on medium. Single notes are the devil. Is there a guide somewhere?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not a strawman. Notice it's a comparison? And when I capitalise Forum like that, I refer to the Official Forums (where many are currently insisting that people who only want the exclusive Ozzy tracks are 'ignorant' among other things). So the comparison is apt, since what you like isn't what everybody else likes, too.

What has anything from there got to do with what we are discussing? You seem keen to ram home the point that what one person likes isn't what you like, well consider that yourself - you also keep positioning your own personal dislikes as objective fact here! :P
    Take out keys and Pro and RB3 has nothing new to offer other than new on-disc songs. Whole segments of previously available gameplay are gone and the graphics and animations are not as good. Sometimes significantly worse. Since I don't care for keys and Pro, what the hell would you expect me to say?

See this is where I can't understand your logic. Take out keys (a whole new instrument) and Pro (which is an enormous and significant addition, which does cost money but hey so did all the multiple plastic GH/RB guitars, drums, cymbals, pedals, thrones, microphones, mountains of DLC etc etc from the previous games) and you have nothing new to offer other than on-disk songs. Which pretty much alone was always enough between GH 1-3, and for me is still a decent selling point. Except that isn't it, is it? You also get vocal harmonies (which you also discount for some reason) the new career paths (which you don't like as much as before so that doesn't count either) and the streamlined difficulty options, drop-in drop-out gameplay and song sorting, amongst other tweaks (all of which doesn't count for... some other reason)

As for the graphics and animation, worse? Really? Some of the videos are pretty wild if that isn't your thing but... IMO there have been noticable improvements throughout, is this a common complaint?
    I wanted RB3 to be an improvement on RB2 and I feel that didn't happen. And I will not positively recommend a game that only gets 'fun' by spending extra money on new peripherals. You will simply not be able to convince me otherwise. RB3 is a lateral, and somewhat mediocre, addition to the genre.

But the guy who was asking was actually specifically interested in those peripherals, the keyboard in particular. And the bolded part - not only is that wrong from a plastic guitar point of view (again, IMO - I've spent hours enjoying the career goals) by limiting the instruments you play you are actively denying yourself the majority of the game. Like I've said - that doesn't mean the content isn't there - we would scoff if any of the larger review sites claimed to be reviewing a major release having only played through the first level.

Pro drums are awesome, singing in harmony is cool, keys are nifty too but the Pro Guitar modes have blown the fucking doors off what these games were previously capable of. And I say that as both a gamer and a musician. All the 'fun' things from a 5-button controller translates across to the six string, with a pile new reasons to get excited too.

Shame you can't enjoy Pro mode too, for whatever reason.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How the hell is someone supposed to get better at Pro Guitar? I can do a heck of a lot better on real guitar, but I'm still stuck on medium. Single notes are the devil. Is there a guide somewhere?

I don't know of any guides specifically for pro mode but honestly? The in-game practice mode can be incredibly useful for learning songs in my experience. I haven't dug into it a lot for pro guitar yet but it's unquestionably helped me pick up some of the tricker songs on pro drums.

And Santa you're by far one of the most helpful people I've seen in these threads but I suspect the reason you're butting heads a bit right now is because when you say this:
    RB3 is a lateral, and somewhat mediocre, addition to the genre.
    Even though from the context it's clear to me that you're expecting the reader to instert "in my, Santa Claustrophobia's, opinion" I can see how someone might not do that. Which means to them it may come across as you presenting your opinion as objective fact and I think we've all been subjected to offical forums enough to know what kind of shitstorm that usually brews up :P

At this point it's pretty clear there's just a fundamental disagreement on the value of RB3. Which is totes cool. This is where we're all supposed to just agree to disagree, Rock the Fuck Out and then bang some groupies backstage or something I think.

HappylilElf on
    edited May 2011

Whcih songs (or parts of songs) are giving you grief?

I'm going to try ditching medium and work through hard now.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Oh those crazy RockBand.com URL "hackers"... the things they find!
    This time, this was what was uncovered, along with the link to the placeholder artist page at RockBand.com:

A-Ha
    Buffalo Springfield
    EMF
    Live
    Poison
    Puddle of Mudd
    The Vapors

Take On Me would be awesome and fun at parties.

Arikado on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If that EMF song was Unbelievable, then you know it will be edited.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arikado wrote: »
    Oh those crazy RockBand.com URL "hackers"... the things they find!
    This time, this was what was uncovered, along with the link to the placeholder artist page at RockBand.com:

A-Ha
    Buffalo Springfield
    EMF
    Live
    Poison
    Puddle of Mudd
    The Vapors

Take On Me would be awesome and fun at parties.

I don't recognize any of the other bands on there besides A-Ha. What hits do the others have?

MrDelish on
    edited May 2011
    Buffalo Springfield is probably For What It's Worth. (Though the band is mostly notable for being a pre-Crosby, Stills, and Nash thing. It had Stills and Neil Young.)

EMF's big hit is Unbelievable.

You'll probably know Live by I Alone. I'd prefer Lightning Crashes.

Poison is a hair metal band featuring Bret Michaels. Biggest hit? Every Rose Has Its Thorn.

Puddle of Mudd is connected somehow to Fred Durst... So who cares what they've done? (However, Control is their first hit. So maybe you know that?)

The Vapors is Turning Japanese.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2011
    Oh hell yes, Take On Me would probably get picked even more than Walk Like an Egyptian by the people I play with. Well, when we can actually manage to get everytone together that is.

Speaking of which I need to find a way to convince my friends mother to come next time we get together. Last time we managed it he was staying with his parents for a couple of weeks before deployment so we took over their basement for a night (along with their 55" tv and ridiculous sound system).

His mom sang a half dozen songs on expert and knocked them all out of the park including at least one she'd never heard before. I don't think she realized I wasn't kidding when I said "That's was really awesome. So that's 6 down only about 550 more to go" :P

HappylilElf on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm an 80s kid so I'd buy the crap out of a Poison pack. Something to Believe In for keyboards would be pretty awesome as well. Now if they could get some Skid Row as follow up I'd don my mullet wig and hook up the Stage Kit again.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited May 2011
    Take on Me and Turning Japanese would be cool. Not sure about the rest.

Store is back up!

Picked up the new Ozzy stuff, and then a pile of Pro upgrades - Rooster, I Walk the Line, Black Magic Woman, Love Will Tear Us Apart, and just for the sheer lolz, Through the Fire and Flames. Gonna have to play that with 'no fail' on, heh. Grabbed a load of Queen stuff too, while I was there.

Now have 534 songs, 117 of which feature Pro guitar parts.
    Master Chief would be proud.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011
    All Over You is another good track from Live. Actually Throwing Copper was a pretty good album all around. I remember liking a few tracks off of some more recent albums as well but it's been a long time since I had my CDs stolen and I can't even recall any names.

Every Rose Has Its Thorn is probaly Poison's most well know song but Unskinny Bop, Talk Dirty To Me and Nothin' But A Good Time were all relatively big too.

Puddle of Mudd's most well known song is probably She Hates Me but they had a fews tracks off that album that did well and a few off their albums that came after that too iirc. They're basically a benign alternative rock group. I can see some of their songs being a quite a bit of fun to play though.

The Vapors... well, ok yeah Turning Japanese is really it :P

*edit* Damn you Fraggle. You got my hopes up that the PSN store was finally functoning again :lol:

HappylilElf on
    edited May 2011
    Hey, I did a quick scan of Wikipedia to find some of that information. I gave examples that people would possibly know to answer a question asked by a person seemingly unable to look themselves.

Anyway, I'd prefer the opening three-song suite from EMF's Schubert Dip album. I even went so far as to make it all one track as an Mp3. Twelve plus minutes of goodness right there. Instead we'd likely get Unbelievable and the ensuing complaints about the edit.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I can pass Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots on Expert with four and a half stars, but can't even do anything with a lot of single notes, even on medium. Power chords and regular chords (other than G barre chords and up) don't really face me, but damn those single notes.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting RB3, is this a good idea? I really enjoyed RB2 when I played it.

I want to get a keyboard -- how is it? Not every song seems to have keyboard available, so I'd probably need a guitar too, which brings me to the next question: the local Gamestop has what looks like Rock Band 3 Bass guitars for PS3, and they seem kind of tough to find online, are they any good and/or rare now?

I'm looking to play guitar/keyboard, and the girlfriend is looking to play guitar/sing. Please advise -- the sooner the better. If anyone can give some info within the next few hours, that'd be great.

As someone who was really mainly just a standard guitar player, trying out Pro Keys pretty much transitioned me into mainly a pro keys player. Now I'm not completely awesome yet, I've only had RB3 and the keyboard for about 3 months. Within that time though I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much sightread and play pretty well most songs from WARMPUP to MODERATE difficulty on Expert Pro Keys. And this is with no prior keyboarding knowledge/skills.

You should totally jump into Rock Band 3 with Pro Keys, because its refreshing and it feels more rewarding than your standard five gem guitar because you are actually learning various chords, scales, and other good stuff like that.

If you do get it, here is one important thing:

- Use one hand. Pro Keys charts are charting the right hand only, using two hands cheats yourself at learning the keyboard properly and develops bad habits in keyboard playing overall. There are exceptions to this. One off the top of my head is Centerfold. There are other songs that downright require you to use two hands, but those are mostly littered in the Rock Band Network Store. All the on disc max difficulty songs for Pro Keys are capable of being played with one hand.

Ross_C on
    edited May 2011

I can pass Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots on Expert with four and a half stars, but can't even do anything with a lot of single notes, even on medium. Power chords and regular chords (other than G barre chords and up) don't really face me, but damn those single notes.

Yeah singles are harder, I think I know what you mean.

It's like, when you play for real, playing runs and stuff - you get that immediate feedback to what you are playing. When I hit a bum note IRL I instantly adjust my fingerings to compensate or move my hand position. With the string mute engaged it can be REALLY HARD to correct mistakes and 're-orient' your hand to the correct position.

I can't think what songs have these single notes off the top of my head - name some tracks and I'll have a go at them later, see what we can figure out.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All Over You is another good track from Live. Actually Throwing Copper was a pretty good album all around.

I'd buy the shit out of that album. Please Pro Chart for Lightning Crashes. Hell, I'd even take Freaks and Dolphin's Cry.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited May 2011
    So I just listened to the other six Ozzy tracks...

Double-fuck HMX and whoever else is responsible for this crap! Liking three songs is simply not enough to want to pay that much for the other five songs.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    anyone know what the deal is with the Pro chart of "In the End"? The individual notes sound nothing like I think they should

MrDelish on
    edited May 2011
    And now, double-fuck me...

I post the above, then check out the RB Forums:
    hmxhenry wrote:
    Hey all! Hopefully everyone had an excellent long weekend. As we dive into this week's DLC release, I wanted to bump this quote from one of my posts about the Ozzy DLC last week.

We do genuinely appreciate that there was so much dialogue about this issue, and that most everyone was able to discuss the concept of pack exclusives passionately without it devolving into maliciousness or hostility.

As a small thanks for your feedback, as well as the continued support of the hardcore posters on the forums, I'll be PMing codes for the entire Ozzy DLC pack to random posters in this thread. We only have codes for the 360 at this time (since we can't even start a conversation with Sony about getting codes until the PSN is back up and running) so if a non 360 user ends up with one of these codes please feel free to pass it along to a friend or pay it forward to another poster in this thread.

We're doing a ton of code giveaways on the Rock Band Twitter and Rock Band Facebook as well, but given the number of posters in this thread, the odds of getting this DLC for free are better here than anywhere else.

Thanks again for your continued feedback and I hope everyone enjoys the Ozzy DLC!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • dragon_petzdragon_petz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I couldn't agree more, the greed these guys show is just mind boggling at times.
    So I just listened to the other six Ozzy tracks...

Double-fuck HMX and whoever else is responsible for this crap! Liking three songs is simply not enough to want to pay that much for the other five songs.

dragon_petz on
    edited May 2011
    Whatever is the cause, 'greed' isn't it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2011
    While I'm happy to buy the Ozzy stuff, I do thinking locking away arguably the 'essential' tracks is a poor decision.

I'm not sure how often this would affect me, with a lot of bands I either buy the whole pack or don't bother, or we get a bunch of singles which I pick and choose from. I'm sure there have been instances where I'd have been miffed though, had this practice been used often before.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Hey, I did a quick scan of Wikipedia to find some of that information. I gave examples that people would possibly know to answer a question asked by a person seemingly unable to look themselves.

No worries Santa I was just trying to elaborate a bit more.

My sympathies that you only like three of the songs in the pack, had my fingers crossed you'd enjoy more of them.

@ lionheart: I would absolutely love it if they did a Throwing Copper album release but I refuse to get my hopes up on that until I have reason to.

HappylilElf on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    how is it not greed? I doubt the lawyer or executive who came up with the idea pitched it as "guys I've found a great way to make less money..."

most likely scenario imo was that one of ozzy's people was looking at the sale numbers from the first pack and saw something like: then used music company logic to decide "hey, if the only way to get the one song is to pay for 7 others, people would always do it every time. clearly there is no value difference."

SaraLuna on
    edited May 2011
    I wanted to. But the rest all kind of sound the same. They're why I find a lot of metal to be a bit boring. Chunky guitar riffs punctuated by guitar wank. The rest of the instruments merely plod along in a workmanlike consistency. I wouldn't hate it to listen to it, but to play in Rock Band it is a whole other category.

And Ozzy's voice is pretty whiny even at the best of times. I like the No More Tears album and a few things here and there (I'd have bought Crazy Train if it hadn't been on the disc.), but the rest doesn't really speak to me. Certianly not enough to pay $13.50 for this pack. Maybe if it had, say, Perry Mason and some of the Sabbath stuff I enjoy. But it doesn't.

Anyway, for me the issue has been settled. I gave it a shot and simply won't be buying the pack. The one song I did like would only crack the 'maybe' list if it was included in a Pepsi Promo or something (that's how I got Bang A Gong...) I hate to be all passive-aggressive about it, but at least it's a good thing for people who really like it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2011
    I don't mind the Ozzy pack - I'm just not big enough of an Ozzy fan to pick it up.

The fact is, forcing someone into a bundle to get the hits may be a good way to get some bands on board that might be hesitant to sign on otherwise. Some bands really prefer to have their stuff heard as albums. Other bands might want to promote a new album but realize that those tracks won't sell when put head to head against their well known classic stuff. It's a selling tool that might be helping them keep companies interested in Rock Band now that the music genre has simmered down.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited May 2011
    While true, the costs involved with posting the songs as singles is not something the band/licensor has to take on. They get their cut of whatever sells after HMX does all the work.

For example, AC/DC has come up as a beneficiary of this. Bundling the albums as a whole just like they like. 'Hypocritically', I wouldn't mind since I like them and all, but it would be so much harder to figure out how many sales are lost because people don't like the whole album.

The big fans will buy the album pack anyway and the 'casuals' will buy the songs they know. Over time they may even pick up the rest of the singles or buy the pack as it grows on them. But how many people will simply avoid the thing altogether since they don't want to pay $20 (for example) for a collection of songs they could probably live without?

Which is better in the long run? 10,000 people buying the pack or 10,000 people buying the pack and however many others buy the singles?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2011
    I honestly don't think this will be the norm.

And if it is, then the Wii is OP.

Arikado on
    edited May 2011
    Unfortunately I suspect that decision boils down to a marketing exec/artist/whoever simply saying "because I think so" instead of doing any actual research into the issue.

HappylilElf on
    edited May 2011
    The one situation where I think we'll start to see it more will be for established acts that have new albums to push. Let's say hypothetical band A sells 20% more of a bundle because they've chosen to limit their giant hit single to that bundle only. In that bundle are 2 tracks from their new album that might not have sold well otherwise. You now have 20% more people who potentially are getting exposure to your new album and that might be worth cannibalizing the single track sales to some bands.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited May 2011
    So Santa, since you often reference the Official Forums I just checked them out through your link - turns out I actually registered there years ago.

Don't think it's a place I'll often post in, though. :P

Although being able to check all the songs you've recently played with goals completed and stuff is pretty cool.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Or release 'better' singles.

The idea of forcing people to buy filler just to get the hits is part of the reason why record stores are failing. People are tired of this kind of shit and started shifting to things like iTunes for a reason. If they think they can make up the difference by force-bundling songs to a highly, highly limited market, then they deserve everything they get when it all comes crashing down around them.

And HMX should know better than to fully participate in such a scheme.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2011
    So Santa, since you often reference the Official Forums I just checked them out through your link - turns out I actually registered there years ago.

Don't think it's a place I'll often post in, though. :P

Although being able to check all the songs you've recently played with goals completed and stuff is pretty cool.

It's not the worst official forum out there (ask a Mass Effect fan...), but it is a wretched hive for scum and villainy. A forum based around a game that is based around the all too personal nature of music appreciation. What could go wrong?

Hell, I wish I could ignore the whole Beatles sub-forum...

However, when the My Gameplay page works, it's a decent set up. (Unfortunately, it's still a bit buggy. It tracks every song result you have and sometimes thinks you did it ten times in a row.) The best feature was the ability to take band/avatar pictures for RB2. But that's gone now.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2011
    So via Pro Guitar on Medium I just hit #7 on 'Bark at the Moon' and #10 on 'Mama I'm Coming Home'.

Guess not many people have them yet then :P

Edit: Hmm... In terms of band scores, I was ranked in the late 500s. So there are easily over 600+ folks who owned and scored with these already. Just not with pro guitars. Wonder what the actual number of downloads is?

Also Bartholamue - 'Mama I'm Coming Home' is pretty good practise for single notes.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Hmm, that makes me wonder if you could fire up the most common insturments, get ridiculously low scores and just go off that for a reasonable estimate of the download count on newer DLC.

HappylilElf on
    edited May 2011
    'Best guess' is to look at the band score (in RB3) and multiply by four or five. HMX claims that they've sold over 100 million DLC. But looking at the leaderboards will only show about a fifth of that.

The real tricky thing about the leaderboards is that it will never show the whole story. About the only thing you can really get from them or places like Keldon is a relative popularity. And the crazy thing is taking into account that some consoles might be reporting multiple scores and some people might actually go online to buy content, but manage to never, ever connect Rock Band to the Rock Central servers.

Santa Claustrophobia on