As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Age of Conan

• death.hilariousdeath.hilarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The beta application process has started. If you're interested check out: http://beta.ageofconan.com

death.hilarious on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    *clicky*

wait, no, this computer can't handle it. :P

Aldo on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    oh like I'll have the same computer by the time beta starts

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm putting PA as my guild.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Signed up. Not because I've ever had a huge interest in Conan, but because I support anything that doesn't worry about having to keep things clean for the 12 year olds (as if the 12 year olds didn't want to play mature stuff anyways).

Oh wait, I linked here as my guild

Conan'll be the most exciting game ever, everyone needs to pre-order it now!!11!

Scooter on
  • death.hilariousdeath.hilarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In case anyone here has some video editing skills, my guild (Krypteia) is giving away an nVidia 8800 GTS (or cash equivalent) to whoever makes the best guild video for us. The contest is open to anyone worldwide and the deadline for submission is July 5th 2007.

You can check out the contest details here (or at our guild site here).

death.hilarious on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bah, I play PC games on a Bootcamped MBP. Which gives me a DXDiag.txt that isnt particularly favourable. No beta for me... Hurry up with the 360 version already!

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm confused. From watching the videos, it would seem all they're ever doing is showing an undying soldier swinging his sword around with the same 2 combos killing mobs of enemies. You can watch his machine stutter several times... not the video but his machine. And that's without the massive epic battles that are supposed to be a trademark of this game.

I've played another pvp focused city to city combat game when it came out, Shadowbane. Anytime a descent force got together it was lag city. I wouldn't expect this to be any different. Now compound on top of that a realtime combat system and i can imagine the most infuriating random swing against teleporting enemies fest you can imagine.

Backstep swing, backstep swing, is not my idea of a incredible combat system.

By all means it looks pretty as hell, but if this is all they have to show for their work so far... i'm left pretty dissapointed.

Snarfmaster on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    After reading Robert E. Howard's series of original Conan stories and his chronicle of Hyboria's history, I am so incredibly excited for this game. Howard may have generated the coolest fantasy world ever.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    this game is made by funcom...

probability of failure = HIGH

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    GrimDog420 wrote: »

Oh sure, because funcom has never made a decent MMO that many people enjoyed.

Aldo on
  • GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aldo wrote: »

lol yea AO was the uber ....

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aldo wrote: »

lol yea AO was the uber ....

Just because it had a crappy launch dosen't make it a failure. While of course i'm not saying it was a huge success either, but they did turn it around quite dramatically and made a fairly enjoyable mmo.

That may be a good reason to have an optimistic outlook for the game - they have shown that they can learn from their mistakes and have the experience of running a large scale mmo under their belts as well.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
    edited May 2007
    I heard AO had its moments somewhere in the middle of its lifetime.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    I forgot earlier, but Funcom also made The Longest Journey and its follow-up Dreamfall. There's potential in the company.

Aldo on
  • chthonianchthonian Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    the classes are very interesting

chthonian on
    Do Arabs dream of American sheep?
    edited May 2007
    what classes? I dont remember much from the videos I watched. but its something like sword guy, bow guy and wizard guy isnt it?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    what classes? I dont remember much from the videos I watched. but its something like sword guy, bow guy and wizard guy isnt it?

http://community.ageofconan.com/conan/frontend/static/classlist/

Bit more in-depth than that.

Crapfestival on
    edited May 2007
    so original it blows my socks off.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    so original it blows my socks off.

Did you actually read any of the class descriptions? Or simply glance at a few of the names?

Crapfestival on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They do look pretty generic. Although I do like that every starts off as a normal guy and branches later

Scooter on
    edited May 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    They do look pretty generic. Although I do like that every starts off as a normal guy and branches later

Oh, the archetypes sound rather generic, I suppose. But, that's what an archetype is supposed to be. Many of the class abilities, such as the ability to turn into a lich or demon for physical combat for a mage class or the whole standard carrying/throwing aspect of the conquerer, I'd consider far from generic.

Crapfestival on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So did anyone else apply for the Beta test?

If I get in, I plan on making a Cimmerian Conqueror and an Aquilonian Ranger, probably. It seems like they've stayed pretty true to the lore, and the gameplay videos I've seen are lookiing pretty fun.

I have hope for this game yet.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've seen a lot of MMO's set a lot of expectations for launch and never make them. I hope that what they say is true and the customization is as deep as they claim it will be. That is a key aspect in an MMO for me.

I'll be keeping my ear to the ground on this one... there has to be that "Great" MMO sooner or later right?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited May 2007
    I've seen a lot of MMO's set a lot of expectations for launch and never make them. I hope that what they say is true and the customization is as deep as they claim it will be. That is a key aspect in an MMO for me.

I'll be keeping my ear to the ground on this one... there has to be that "Great" MMO sooner or later right?
    Warhammer Online. :P

I remain optimistic about AoC, but I have no expectations.

Aldo on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

Oh, the archetypes sound rather generic, I suppose. But, that's what an archetype is supposed to be. Many of the class abilities, such as the ability to turn into a lich or demon for physical combat for a mage class or the whole standard carrying/throwing aspect of the conquerer, I'd consider far from generic.

If they base the classes on R.E. Howard's work at all, of course elements of it are going to look pretty generic... the dude basically invented the "sword and sorcery" genre back in the 20's (as asserted by Fritz Leiber and Michael Moorcock in the 60's) and he based a lot of his material on mythological archetypes of the past, because the Hyborian Age is supposed to be a "forgotten chronicle" of earth's history.

A great deal of fantasy has been derivative of Howard... and that which isn't has its roots in much of the same material. Anything based on his stuff is going to seem "generic" because it's been played out so many times in the 70 years since he died. Howard's characters have now become the archetypes of today's epic fantasy material.

So yeah, it's gonna look a little familiar.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2007
    forgotten or forgettable?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    With real time combat and thieves actually being able to steal from players this game equals instant buy for me.

Also the EVE-like Frontier Lands sound pretty hot too.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    With real time combat and thieves actually being able to steal from players this game equals instant buy for me.

Also the EVE-like Frontier Lands sound pretty hot too.

I'm digging the fact that NPC armies can lay seige to player towns. That's gotta be hot.

3lwap0 on
  • ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, they haven't said much about that or mounted combat for quite sometime. I still hope those are both intergal to the game. Each one of those facets sounded fucking awesome. But yeah, it also sucks it got pushed til the Holidays.

Profs on
  • xcrunner17xcrunner17 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    And wow, I've been checking up on this game a ton after reading the thread. A must have I say, it will proly be the game that makes me quit CS source.

http://aoc.warcry.com/faq/view/10043

Tasty link there

xcrunner17 on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You know AO is still kicking right? I've been playing on a freebie account off and on, and it's still very popular. It's initial launch was botched by the fact that the original network programmer had his head up his rear end and based the network engine on TCP (never a good idea for a game that needs to burst tons of data across the intraweb) instead of UDP. This caused all kinds of networking issues, disconnects, rubber banding, etc. Coupled with shoddy servers that crashed every 10 minutes, and well, you get the AO launch.

I am looking forward to AoC actually. First off, it looks good, and second, it's focus on PvP should make it interesting. Plus them forgoing the safer T rating to show us some serious blood makes me happy.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

Wren, stop shitting up this thread. We get it, you aren't excited about the game. Shut the fuck up already.

Monoxide on
    edited June 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

Wren, stop shitting up this thread. We get it, you aren't excited about the game. Shut the fuck up already.

ani079.gif

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What excites me about this game is mainly the city stuff, but I also just recently read a bunch of Solomon Kane stories. I like Puritan Warriors more I think, but still, yay.

piL on
  • ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Funny, but seriously, gtfo.

EDIT: (At Wren)

Profs on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Small heads up.

http://beta1.ageofconan.com/beta_application/

In case nobody noticed.

Shamus on
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It appears almost certain that the first round of beta invites have gone out, btw.

(A certain blogger slipped up and made it pretty darn clear he got into the AoC beta a couple of days ago.)

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • coldbird.coldbird. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is it.

coldbird. on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Signed up. So hard.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787