As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Doctor Who] Thread

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Wait, so
    it was the real Doctor who choked her?
    Yes, although you have to remember that he's choking a ganger Amy that isn't sentient; just a receiver for Amy's minds.

Wait, but
    Real Amy remembers the stuff Flesh Amy did, right? They won't save her and she'll have never known about the Doctor dying and all that?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait, so
    Yes, although you have to remember that he's choking a ganger Amy that isn't sentient; just a receiver for Amy's minds.

Wait, but
    Real Amy remembers the stuff Flesh Amy did, right? They won't save her and she'll have never known about the Doctor dying and all that?
    Flesh Amy was the same as the gangers at the beginning of the previous episode, just being controlled by someone, so Real Amy experienced and knows everything Flesh Amy did because she was it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait, so

Wait, but

Pretty sure...
    ...they were feeding RealAmy's consciousness into FleshAmy, similar to the way the acid miners were using their gangers originally. So, yes, she has all of her memories intact.

Houn on
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Check the OP.

Thanks and Thanks BM.
    I missed that little section in the OP.
    Starting S3 today.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait, so

Wait, but
    The self-sufficient gangers were an aberration. Amy was fully connected to her Ganger this entire time, and it was never self aware. She'll remember everything up to the dissolving.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat to 'rest' Daleks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13594932
    The Daleks are to be given "a rest" from battling Doctor Who, writer Steven Moffat has told the Radio Times.

Moffat, who is also the BBC television show's executive producer, said: "They aren't going to make an appearance for a while. We thought it was about time to give them a rest."

Thoughts? I think this is a great idea,the daleks are the doctor's greatest enemy but they lose some steam after appearing twice a season.

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
    edited May 2011
    Good. They are still goofy as fuck to me and annoying to boot.

Also, we already saw them a few times last season.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm good either way. I like the Daleks as a threat to the Doctor, but they're only as good as the episode they appear in, and that is not a good track record.

Silas Brown on
    edited May 2011
    Well the article has a good point: if the Daleks are his greatest nemesis, and he fights them the most often, that means you have a bad guy who is constantly losing.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited May 2011
    Well the article has a good point: if the Daleks are his greatest nemesis, and he fights them the most often, that means you have a bad guy who is constantly losing.

Though to be fair, they won in their main episode last year. It is a good idea to give them a rest though, so they are a bigger deal when they do get used.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How long can they go unused before the creator retains all rights and BBC is forced to shell out ridiculous sums to use them again?

Fatboy Roberts on
  • TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »

Though to be fair, they won in their main episode last year. It is a good idea to give them a rest though, so they are a bigger deal when they do get used.

And it was a pretty huge victory at that. Regenerating and bettering themselves and actually getting away.

Nice to see them win, and disappear and know they will be gone for a series or so and then coming storming back in what is hopefully a pretty epic return to all out war.

TonyTheLeper on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Actually, I wouldn't mind a complete lack of 'epic' stories from them. They seem to work much better with smaller, more intimate stories. I'd prefer if we see nothing from them except small glimpses of a greater plan for the next several seasons.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »

And it was a pretty huge victory at that. Regenerating and bettering themselves and actually getting away.

Nice to see them win, and disappear and know they will be gone for a series or so and then coming storming back in what is hopefully a pretty epic return to all out war.

Which hopefully gives him a reason to untime-lock the timelords. Well, the non-psycho ones.

Slo on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thank god. I love the Daleks but they've been handled so poorly since the second series. 'Dalek' still remains pretty much the only new-Who Dalek episode that is good.

If it were up to me, I'd have no Daleks for two series than bring them back for a small episode, then the two parter finale like they have been doing. Although the Daleks would be stopped from fully realising their plan, they would still succeed in doing something notable (possibly even a companion death). I think with an enemy like the Daleks it's only rarely can they be stopped without causing any harm, otherwise they become jokes.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Moffat just wrote on Twitter:
    Daleks: I was talking about THIS series. Stand down.

Igort on
  • JuiceJuice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not sure if it was mentioned, but I totally missed in the Doctors Wife episode that the TARDIS Console he made was the from the UK competition of "Design your own TARDIS". Some kid drew a diagram of his TARDIS console and that was it in the episode.

Lucky kid.

Juice on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    People should freak out more about Rory, his awesomeness, and demand good treatment of him.

electricitylikesme on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rory to take over torchwood from jack.
    A man can dream!

Norgoth on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You've all seen the Doctor Who opening Buffy style right? Too bad I'm posting it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMiMCMWp4bw

I really miss Buffy :< I'm glad I decided to marathon the entire damn show

Jintor on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jintor: that is pretty amazing.

electricitylikesme on
  • klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Rory to take over torchwood from jack.
    A man can dream!

He'll have to
    Bring out the big guns

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh my god Jintor.

That is the best thing.

theSquid on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    You've all seen the Doctor Who opening Buffy style right? Too bad I'm posting it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMiMCMWp4bw

I really miss Buffy :< I'm glad I decided to marathon the entire damn show

Who made that? That's AWESOME. It almost looks like something the Doctor Who guys could have done as a joke.

Casual on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's fucking incrediblee

LaCabra on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know what the rules are here regarding crossposts, but I've banged out what I suppose is a meta-fanfiction piece involving Poirot and the Fourth Doctor (but not really) and if anyone wanted to read that sort of thing I'd be well chuffed to get some feedback. Just posted it up in the Writer's Block section.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=142715

Latest two-parter was rad, by the way.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Thank god. I love the Daleks but they've been handled so poorly since the second series. 'Dalek' still remains pretty much the only new-Who Dalek episode that is good.

If it were up to me, I'd have no Daleks for two series than bring them back for a small episode, then the two parter finale like they have been doing. Although the Daleks would be stopped from fully realising their plan, they would still succeed in doing something notable (possibly even a companion death). I think with an enemy like the Daleks it's only rarely can they be stopped without causing any harm, otherwise they become jokes.

Man, I don't want to see Rory or Amy killed by a fucking Dalek. It just seems cheap, like they deserve better.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited May 2011
    Depends how it's done. Running down the hall then ZAP would be pretty shitty, but if the Daleks engineered something more insidious that ultimately ended in Amy's death (perhaps after The Doctor makes a wrong choice in some sort of Dalek scheme), I think that would be a legacy fitting both the Daleks and the Doctor's Companion.

Silas Brown on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Watching season 5 again.

In the episode Flesh and Stone the bishop says about River:
    She kills a good man.

As in 'A Good Man' goes to War?

Wassermelone on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Watching season 5 again.

She kills a good man.

You don't need to spoiler that.

In any case it's pointless speculating whether a good man (ie the doctor) dies.

Cause we know he does, we've seen it happen.

Daxon on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This has been the most consistently fantastic series of Doctor Who since the revival.

Except the pirate episode. That was bad.

Greeper on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Watching season 5 again.

She kills a good man.

You misheard.

John_Goodman_0012.jpg

Schrodinger on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Watching season 5 again.

She kills a good man.

Ive spoilered it because its speculation about future episodes.. in a way. But ok.

At this point I do hope River Song is
    Amy's child
    because its really starting to make a lot sense.

Wassermelone on
  • SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Watching season 5 again.

She kills a good man.

Episode 6 spoiler, so, uh... extra spoilery?
    and I just saw Amy die. Don't mean much these days.

SparserLogic on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think the pirate episode was alright. It's just that there's these fantastic episodes surrounding it.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited May 2011
    Only one mediocre episode in half a season of Who (yeah, I'm making assumptions about how awesome the next episode will be). This is amazing.

Silas Brown on
    edited May 2011
    Watching season 5 again.

She kills a good man.

You misheard.

John_Goodman_0012.jpg

Someone had to bring down God Emperor Ralph

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So rampant speculation on River and the good man she kills:
    The actual Doctor. I don't think it'd be him as any death he has would be a bit real and would require a big 'Ta da! I survived death because...' reasoning which would be annoying. Plus we've seen his death (although that may be Flesh!Doctor).

Flesh!Doctor. Since he's also a 'real' Doctor his death would be viewed as River killing the real doctor.

Or Rory! Don't know how long his run is supposed to last. Never watched old Who so don't know how long the long-winded companions lasted but the best we've got so far is Rose with two seasons and then little appearances. If he dies (again) we'd get big emotional moment (but an actual real one), the show having a large dynamic change and it means Rory would probably be doing awesome stuff. Which would be awesome, as he is the best.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Watching season 5 again.

She kills a good man.

Episode 6 spoiler, so, uh... extra spoilery?
    and I just saw Amy die. Don't mean much these days.
    Well, no, you saw her psychic clone projection thingie get dissolved.

We actually saw the die, try to regenerate, and then be properly killed before he could finish regenerating.

Daxon on
  • killamajigkillamajig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every time i see the "River is Amy's child" theory tossed around, I'm reminded of the exchange between River and Rory outside the tardis when they rescued Amy at the end of the opening two-parter.

I don't have a script or anything, its after she goes all twirly-shooty and asks Rory something along the lines of "Did my old man see that? he gets so cross." Feels like a very Moffat way to foreshadow with the layered meaning thing.

Im not a huge fan of that theory myself, but i feel like that little bit is the best hint that it will pan out. I feel like doing that is to nice and neat, a single resolution for that many threads.

killamajig on
    "Oh cruel fate...to be thusly boned...ask not for who the bone bones...it bones for thee."
    Killamajig and Scullykel999 on MTGO
This discussion has been closed.