As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Home Ownership Fucking Sucks

HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of AuRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++
So, I have the week off from work for a needed vacation and was hoping to chill out at home for a few days and get some minor projects done. Then on Friday, I was going to take the wife and kid up to Great Wolf Lodge for a long weekend of water parks, MagiQuest, and family fun.

Instead, my central air conditioning has been fucked up since last Saturday. After two house calls, it turns out my AC coil inside is fucked and leaking coolant. My outside unit is also on it's last leg, meaning I have to replace the whole fucking thing. Total bill = $4400

Also, in February, my gas furnace went to shit. Actually had cracks in the heat exchanger and had to be replaced. That total bill = $4700. When that went I also redid all the duct work in the attic, put in some more insulation, and redid the seal to the exhaust up on the roof. Total bill = $700

For the first 1/2 of 2011, I've had to pay out about 10k in home repairs. Fuck my life. No vacations this year.

So entertain me with stories of costly repairs, be they home, auto, or whatever. Anything to make me feel like not wanting to go on some type of rampage near my home or burn the fucker down. Stupid fucking need to live indoors.

Hunter on

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish I owned a house

and had the money to take care of it

Garlic Bread on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Keith, you're also like 8 and the biggest experience on your resume is the two days you sold lemonade outside of your parent's house.

Give it time, one day you'll own a money trap and have just enough money to spend it all on said money trap.

Hunter on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    first world problems thread

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    pffft, who needs heating and air conditioning

I'm doing just fine without it

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • GalyGaly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like living in an apartment. When something breaks, I call the maintenance guys and they come fix it. Problem solved.

Galy on
    mustache w/ hat c|:{
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sorry to hear that Hunter

Once when I was about eleven I was in my room when my dad yelled "ANDREW GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!" I was fucking scared because I thought he was going to yell at me, but when I went into the back room he was next to the radiator trying to stop water going everywhere. He'd been draining the air from the system but the water pressure was too high or some shit, and water had just shot out like a hose all over the place.

His next words were "GET A FUCKING CARROT," which I thought was strange, until I realised he wanted me to get a carrot that he could then jam into the hole and stop the water coming out. I ran into the kitchen and saw that there were no carrots, but there were potatoes, which to my eleven year old mind was the next best thing. So I got one and came back in and when I gave it to my dad he looked at me with an expression that said "what the fuck am I supposed to do with this, Son?"

Anyway eventually we carefully placed an oven tray under the spot where the water was landing and let it fill up.

Never heard my dad yell so loud in my life. He told me not to tell mum what had happened, and I was like "sure." Even today though, I remember my Dad looking over his shoulder, wild eyed and covered in water, screaming for me to get a fucking carrot. Which is pretty funny given that my dad is not a big guy and looks exactly like the music teacher he is.

Solar on
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this is why I live in a yurt.

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    no dont tell me this
    I want to buy within the year

Kochikens on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Budget for this years renovations: $80,000.
    Timeline for this years renovations : 8 weeks

Actual expenditure on renovations: $130,000
    Actual time to completion: 11 weeks, 5 week downtime, 1 week.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ITT Solar recounts a story of sexual abuse through the eyes of a child

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Totally not making PAX this year.

Fishman on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    Keith, you're also like 8 and the biggest experience on your resume is the two days you sold lemonade outside of your parent's house.

Give it time, one day you'll own a money trap and have just enough money to spend it all on said money trap.

oh okay

Garlic Bread on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is this a first world problems thread?

Sometimes someone on my floor doesn't close the communal fridge all the way, and then we have spoiled milk and shitty smelling beer.

That really sucks.

Thetheroo on
    edited May 2011
    Also, I keep burning shit in my new oven. The guys were nice enough not to complain about the pizza on Monday, but it was pretty uneven. I need to work out when things are done.

Fishman on
    edited May 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    ITT Solar recounts a story of sexual abuse through the eyes of a child

Haha

Knew someone would say something like that

Solar on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I've been having house problems as well. My shower leaked earlier this year, which caused some water damage and an expensive repair because the damn piping was so old. My side door broke off two hinges and needs to be replaced, and the framing for that is so old and weathered I can pull it apart with my hands. I also really need to have my house repainted and my roof looked at, although that's slate and should still be in good condition.

Renting was a lot easier.

A duck! on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not even that. This is like Upper Middle Class problems thread.

worldssmallestviolin.gif

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    no dont tell me this

If I were you, I'd start punching myself in the throat every month or two to get prepared.

Hunter on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    man I'm glad I live in the temperate North where air conditioning is unnecessary

Centipede Damascus on
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    but owning a house is pretty great usually

until things go wrong then ffffffffff

zucchini on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    You are patently fucking retarded.

A duck! on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Berk wrote: »
    this is why I live in a yurt.

You and me, Berk.

Separate yurts, though.

Aneurhythmia on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    what kinda water pressure do you get in a yurt

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited May 2011
    I am looking forward to Kosh seeing this thread

Gonna be pretty funny, I suspect

Solar on
    edited May 2011
    I think I need to get under the house and check the central heating, too. The vent in the bedroom feels a little weak, and I'm worried that there's a tear or loose seal in the piping.

Fishman on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Home remodeling projects, in 1 bedroom condos, with 2 people living there, are just fucking time sink disasters.

mrt144 on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Even owning a car sucks. My car will sometimes just cut out when idling due to it VIOLENTLY jerking. I think it is time I get a new car.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
    edited May 2011

I'm so sorry that I've finished school, got married, and have put in about a dozen years in a 50+ hour a week job. How dare I be upset that my largest investment to date has taken a 10k dump on my chest in the last 5 months or so.

Go fuck yourself. In the face. Do it in a first world way though, with lube.

Hunter on
    edited May 2011
    When I get home, I might put up before and after (or at least, current) pics of my reno.

Fishman on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    no dont tell me this

If I were you, I'd start punching myself in the throat every month or two to get prepared.

buuugh

whats sad is that my little condo will cost more than most houses

Kochikens on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    what kinda water pressure do you get in a yurt

Shit-on-a-bear-shower-in-a-drainage-ditch kPa.

Aneurhythmia on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ah the advantages of being poor and having to fix everything yourself

it's so much cheaper

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm so sorry that I've finished school, got married, and have put in about a dozen years in a 50+ hour a week job. How dare I be upset that my largest investment to date has taken a 10k dump on my chest in the last 5 months or so.

Go fuck yourself. In the face. Do it in a first world way though, with lube.

You should be poor and miserable, not un-poor and miserable. That would send the wrong kinda message to the poor.

mrt144 on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Your problems are stupid, Hunter

get over yourself

meanwhile one of my games on steam didn't download right

Seriously on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I maintain that renting still sucks.

ASimPerson on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I maintain that renting still sucks.

They are two sides of the same shitty coin.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I live on the bottom floor in my three floor condo unit. When the main drian broke, guess where it all backed up at? They had to cut a three foot wide by six feet deep all the way through the spare bathroom and dining room. For three units, with mine as the middle. Had to move out for about a week. As an added plus, we use water cooled AC units that run on well water. Well, apparently, our water is pretty sulphur rich. So the coils don't last too long ($800 apiece). I've had to replace it twice since I've lived here. But hey, a $420 mortgage payment for a 1100 square foot place isn't so bad.

Krieghund on
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    where my yaks at

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Kadith wrote: »
    Ah the advantages of being poor and having to fix everything yourself

it's so much cheaper

Honestly, the labor is only like 10 to 20%, it's the new equipment plus the proper disposal of the old equipment that's the big part of the cost. Also, I can do things like fix a seal in the toilet, put in a new garbage disposal, fix drywall, and other minor to medium repairs. I do not want to fuck with HVAC. That's out of my league.

Hunter on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Berk wrote: »
    where my yaks at

Right here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99kssHaD_yY

Fyndir on