As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is there a way to change a flight reservation without paying $texas?

Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist KthulhuRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So here's the situation: I've been in Los Angeles for a week with my brother, who lives here, and in that week have decided that I would really, really like to be able to stay here for another couple of days.

I have a flight with Continental that leaves tomorrow at 11:20 AM, and to change that flight, they're asking for $300. I know that in the past, my family has been forced to stay grounded for medical reasons, and that particular flight change didn't cost us anything.

Does anyone know of a way that I can plead my case with them, and switch my flight to one that leaves later this week without paying absurd fees? I appreciate any and all advice.

Kristmas Kthulhu on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No, not really. Not unless you have proof that you have an emergency.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I guess call them and see what you can do?

Do you have a lot of points/miles with them? Could try to cash those in, or try to get the change as a 'perk' of your status. Otherwise if it's a full flight, you might have better luck tomorrow volunteering to give up your seat to a stand-by.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    From LAX to what airport? Changing a flight is pretty much always change fee + difference in fare with only medical emergencies being exempted

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hoping there's a standby available is your best bet (and comes with the fun possibility that the airline will actually comp you.) Otherwise, "being a high roller" and "legit medical issue" are basically your two outs. If you've done a lot of flying with that particular airline in the past they might hook you up just for the sake of keeping you happy.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lemme know where you're flying to and whether there's a chance of people being able to pick you up within X number of miles/hrs

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg