As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The DC Thread: How many Crises is Too Many?

1565758596062»

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    That Superman in JLA is Conner.

I'm joking...or am I?
    If the Wonder Woman/Superman/Lois rumor is true, then I'd imagine that a lot of the characters might somehow merge with their (younger?) Flashpoint selves and be de-aged. But who even knows anymore.

HadjiQuest on
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    from an interview with USA today
    Guided by writer Geoff Johns and artist Jim Lee, Justice League will begin its first year with an updated secret origin reflecting DC's new initiative, giving the group a reason for coming together that it lacked when the league first appeared in 1960. And while it will ultimately boast 14 members, at its core will be DC's A-list do-gooders: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern and Aquaman.

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    52 launching titles in September - good luck with your orders, retailers!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah we're gonna get all out a whack trying to order that.

Algertman on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Hero Complex Film Festival is doing a double-feature of the first two Superman films with Richard Donner and Geoff Johns in attendance next month. Apparently Johns is give out a lot of details about the new continuity there

DrIanMalcolm on
    edited June 2011
    Also, there'll be a fill-in issue of the Johns/Lee JUSTICE LEAGUE by issue....4?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Man, it's totally crisis

Some titles have entire new continuity, some just have new secret origins, and others still are going to just pick up where they left off and keep going, creating some continuity bugs to be fixed with ZeroPoint or FlashHour.

HadjiQuest on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Interesting poll on ign.com

How people feel about the reboot

This is blasphemy! I'll never read another DC book as long as I live! 19.21%

As a DC fan, I am looking forward to it. 16.26%

As long as the stories are good, I dont care. 40.21%

Never read DC, but the reboot makes me want to. I'll give it a chance. 24.32%

Of course take this with a grain of salt as with any online poll, but I thought the numbers were interesting.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
    edited June 2011
    I'd put myself in the "As long as the stories are good, I don't care" category - this is what DC Editorial should have done after the original Crisis. But I don't know - does DC even have 52 quality creative teams? Can you name of them?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I'd put myself in the "As long as the stories are good, I don't care" category - this is what DC Editorial should have done after the original Crisis. But I don't know - does DC even have 52 quality creative teams? Can you name of them?

They might have to hire some homeless folks.

Also, I wonder where Gail Simone will end up.

HadjiQuest on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would volunteer my services

Antimatter on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    52 launching titles in September - good luck with your orders, retailers!

It's less the 52 title launches and more the 52 titles launching day-and-date digital

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2011
    No it's not.

Algertman on
    edited June 2011
    I'm not that convinced that same day digital has an effect on short-term sales - TWD is same day digital, and the sales on that book seem to go up every month. Long term, yeah, brick and mortar retailers are probably fucked - but they've been saying that since the mid-80s, so who knows.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    well 52 new titles may be really annoying for our subscriptions, but 52 is actually LESS titles than DC puts out through it's superhero imprint right now, so it's not going to put too much extra strain work wise, just in talking to all our subscribers when they place their preorders.

And we might have to order the whole range for the shelf for the first month, which could suck.

MastaP on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MastaP and Algertman, let us know what your customers think about this, both the longtime and new readers.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2011
    You'll have to order the whole range for the first three months of issues sight-unseen, right?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Oh yeah, that's a good point.

DC is pretty good with returnable stuff though. Wonder how many variants they throw in on top of it.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    [tiny]no more comic shops[/tiny]

Garlic Bread on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The thing I really hate about big continuity reboots like COIE and apparently this is that we don't really get closure. I would be much more accepting of this kind of stuff if they actually gave all the major characters and series real endings that are built up to. Instead, we basically get a situation where the current arc ends and then suddenly, the continuity ends, too. It makes me feel like the time and money I invested in the continuity was just a gigantic waste, and instead of being given a complete saga I'm given one that is swept under the rug in the middle of it.

And if this is more akin to things like OMD or Retconpunch, then it just gives me that same feeling in a different way.

If they wanted a fresh continuity they should have either done something like Ultimate comics or they should have actually ended the various characters' stories properly before starting over.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited June 2011
    I've been pursuing the twitter machines, and Gail Simone has strongly hinted that she is writing Adventure Comics starring Deadman, and she has also implied that Hawk and Dove might show up as supporting characters.

That sounds awesome to me.

Edit: She said she has two books coming up, actually. Her hints were that she was making two new sandwiches, but with some old familiar meats. Also, that "It's time for an adventure. Yes, we are walking the high wire. But I suspect the view will be amazing. Come walk with us."

EditEdit: She also made a comment about the golden age leading into the silver age. Is she also writing JSA now, maybe? JSA + Black Canary and that pilot lady? Or is she just making a general comment on DC's bold move being the start of a new comic era? Who can say!

HadjiQuest on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You'll have to order the whole range for the first three months of issues sight-unseen, right?

We order very small for our shelves, so while we'll probably order the whole range or close to it for the first month, after that we'll base our future orders on what our customers have preordered and what sold off the shelf.

MastaP on
    edited June 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I've been pursuing the twitter machines, and Gail Simone has strongly hinted that she is writing Adventure Comics starring Deadman, and she has also implied that Hawk and Dove might show up as supporting characters.

That sounds awesome to me.

Edit: She said she has two books coming up, actually. Her hints were that she was making two new sandwiches, but with some old familiar meats. Also, that "It's time for an adventure. Yes, we are walking the high wire. But I suspect the view will be amazing. Come walk with us."

If Booster Gold is still going on or even around in this brave new world, A Simone/Jurgens relaunch would be really great.

TexiKen on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope they let Simone keep Secret Six. I also hope that if they relaunch Secret Six with a number 1, that they put Nicola Scott back on as artist for the book. I like Califore's art, but I prefer Scott.

Lucascraft on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MastaP wrote: »

We order very small for our shelves, so while we'll probably order the whole range or close to it for the first month, after that we'll base our future orders on what our customers have preordered and what sold off the shelf.

That's what DC should do. New audience, 52 titles. Give them 4 issues to see what sticks, and then begin cutting and merging until you're down to around 30 titles.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well...this is what...the 4th time in my lifetime that I've seen Superman Rebooted? As long as the stories are good I'm game. And if they really go full digital...sign me up.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if they're gonna make superman weaker? I mean of course he will still be a dominating force and all, but with more manageable power levels, like in the Justice League TV show.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well...it's Morrison writing him. He writes great Superman stories (All Star and Superman Beyond) so I have faith in him.

EDIT: I'm gonna miss Conner tho if they get rid of him.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »
    I wonder if they're gonna make superman weaker? I mean of course he will still be a dominating force and all, but with more manageable power levels, like in the Justice League TV show.

With Morrison at the helm? Doubtful. That's not how he rolls.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I hope they let Simone keep Secret Six. I also hope that if they relaunch Secret Six with a number 1, that they put Nicola Scott back on as artist for the book. I like Califore's art, but I prefer Scott.

the only way I don't want this not happening is if Secret Six turns into a new Suicide Squad by Ostrander

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone else think this is a little bit odd? I just have tons of questions. How long ago was this planned? Is it a full reboot of the DCU? It feels off, what with all the important events that just happened and all the recent changes with DC comics (a new birds of prey, 2 new legion titles, a new superboy title, Justice league Generation lost and its supposed sequel, ect).

Silver_Mage on
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    it's not a comelet reset, and I'd say wait for them to announce what will and won't be in continuity. It sounds like for the most part the current bat book / green lantern books directions will be mostly unchanged, but yeah should be an interesting week

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone else think this is a little bit odd? I just have tons of questions. How long ago was this planned? Is it a full reboot of the DCU? It feels off, what with all the important events that just happened and all the recent changes with DC comics (a new birds of prey, 2 new legion titles, a new superboy title, Justice league Generation lost and its supposed sequel, ect).

It sounds like Generation Lost will still be there, as will Brightest Day. But so far it also sounds like a reboot for the Legion (hahahahahaha! Fourboot! Or five, if you count the time-advanced silver age legion as its own incarnation). Birds, Superboy and tons of other stuff we're unsure about.

But it seems like we will be learning more info literally each day until the complete solicits hit on the 11th. So I guess be patient and keep your eyes open.

Since we're about to hit 100, I can do a comprehensive OP about all this stuff for a new thread when I wake up tomorrow.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    MastaP and Algertman, let us know what your customers think about this, both the longtime and new readers.

Me and the boss already talked about it earlier. We're gonna run a commercial for the last week of August. We're gonna throw a party, have some cake, and some other stuff probably.

As far as getting the customer base on board I've got that under control.

I may come off as a standard troll here but in real life I'm the complete opposite. I'm a fairly nice guy and hell of a comics salesman.

Algertman on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lee spearheaded the costumes' redesign to make characters more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old.

because no one fucking recognized superman or batman and could identify with their costumes

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2011
    That Batman design is a leftover from some early All-Star Batman work.

Algertman on
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Those designs are really, really bad.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah, i guess i'm open to the reboot idea but no way those designs stick around longer than a year

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2011
    Who needs sleep

New thread

I threw together all the info that has stood out to me so far, so it's a recap of all we know. As new things are announced, I'll add them to the OP.

HadjiQuest on
  • IndiIndi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »

I doubt it. And if it happens, it won't last.

Indi on
This discussion has been closed.