As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CARMAGEDDON] Works in DOSbox on Win7 64-bit!

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I remember this game. My dad let me play it when I was nine for some reason (Then again, hes a silly goose). The blue car in this game (looked like a lamborghini) had the passive active electro ray that shot civilians for you. That car was my personal favorite.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Kris wrote: »
    My parents wouldn't buy the game for me, so I just played the demo hundreds of times. Such a fun game.

Living in Mexico, it was impossible to get any new/cool PC games. But after successfully downloading the demo off my modem, I played it forever and ever, specially when I found out that if you edited some files (The whole game was pretty much programmed in hundreds of .txt files) you could make powerups give you huge time boosts, remove the demo time limit, and even drive the other cars that were in the demo.

:shock: I wish we were friends when I was a kid.

Kris on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I used the text files to increase the limb sensitivity (easier to dismember pedestrians) and give you 10 times more bonus time from killing them.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I fucking loved this back then. If I remember correctly there were even grannies with walking canes among the different pedestrian types. Ah, the good times when noone gave a shit about political correctness in games.

The instant replay feature was also great.

Delinator on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know if a new version/remake with Burnout Paradise level car damage and euphoria/ragdoll physics would be either the greatest thing ever or the most horrific and disturbing.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I don't know if a new version/remake with Burnout Paradise level car damage and euphoria/ragdoll physics would be either the greatest thing ever or the greatest thing ever.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is it Carmageddon 1 or 2 where if you hit the corner of a wall just right you can actually rip your car in half longwise and survive to repair?

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Is it Carmageddon 1 or 2 where if you hit the corner of a wall just right you can actually rip your car in half longwise and survive to repair?

Number 2 you could tear your car in half, I much preferred the first.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man this game.

I played both of them, so the details of which one did what are sorta mixed up in my head. I just remember being able to hop into all different kinds of cars that had different abilities (the pedestrian-killing auto-firing laser gun was the shit), and I do remember that mission where I had to jump rooftop to rooftop in order to kill those satellite dishes. Fuck that level... I can't remember if I beat it, but I believe I did.

So much hilarity to be had in Carmageddon. It is quite lamentable that no one has ever tried to do a sequel in recent years, just updating the graphics and physics (Euphoria engine!). Just looking at the screenshots in the OP, I don't think I could ever go back and play the original again.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Good ol' Jelly Suspension...

Duck'n'Cover on
    demomansig.jpg
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wasnt there an N64 version where they turned all the pedestrians into zombies?

Remington on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah the German version was also full of zombies.

It's not BAD playing that. I've gotten close to get the 3dfx version to work, but I'm not there yet.

Hawk on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I loved this game to pieces.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was in the waaaar!

That's what grannies said, right?

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well in OP I have 3dfx shots vs standard vga shots!

Game is so much better in 3DFX!

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So, there's a carmageddon.com site, and a countdown has shown up.

Square Enix owns the domain, so let's see what happens in 10 days.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, there's a carmageddon.com site, and a countdown has shown up.

Square Enix owns the domain, so let's see what happens in 10 days.

oh my, I seem to have wet myself already

Big Classy on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Braincow wrote: »
    I played a lot of the Carmageddon 2 demo and it was more fun than a barrel full of silly geese.

I played the hell out of the C2 demo. To this day my mother still talks about "that game you liked to play where you ran people over".

Ugh.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hawk wrote: »
    Yeah the German version was also full of zombies.

It's not BAD playing that. I've gotten close to get the 3dfx version to work, but I'm not there yet.

IIRC the German version was robots which was even worse than zombies, other countries got the censored Zombie version, including the UK. There was a patch on day one (and it was easy to hack in the demo peds, who were human anyway) you could download but the official UK release was Zombies.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Did anyone have the "Splat pack" for the first one? Good Lord I played these games to death. I think tomorrow will be spent installing Carmageddon 1, setting it up to work with the 360 pad and running some people over.

And maybe I'm in the minority but I dig the non-3dfx version more. It looks too sharp otherwise, I like the slightly dirty/blocky look.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Did anyone have the "Splat pack" for the first one? Good Lord I played these games to death. I think tomorrow will be spent installing Carmageddon 1, setting it up to work with the 360 pad and running some people over.

And maybe I'm in the minority but I dig the non-3dfx version more. It looks too sharp otherwise, I like the slightly dirty/blocky look.

Yeah I still have the box, but I believe I lost the discs :(

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would still have my copy of Carmageddon today if it didn't get stolen! :x

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thief has taste!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Still got the original disc, the splat pack and the big boxes :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I sadly only have it on the psone. With no console for it though. Bugger. Emulators are an option but I can't be arsed. Game needs to be on gog.com. It'll never happen, obviously but still, wishful thinking.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That goddamn satellite level was what stopped me progressing further in C2. I got to being within a second or so of smashing the last one but JUST. COULDN'T. GET. IT! GARHHH!!

I've still got it installed though, so I can get back to it if my blood pressure starts to get too low.

I finished the original back in highschool and I still have no idea how unlock any of the cars. Were they just given to you as a means of game progression, or did you have to destroy them in a certain way? The game wasn't very obvious. I think my favourite parts were anywhere without railing and a big cliff-face :lol:

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am completely incapable of getting DOSBOX to work for anything. Why the fuck do they have to make it so unintuitive to use?

Endaro on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kris wrote: »
    My parents wouldn't buy the game for me, so I just played the demo hundreds of times. Such a fun game.

Living in Mexico, it was impossible to get any new/cool PC games. But after successfully downloading the demo off my modem, I played it forever and ever, specially when I found out that if you edited some files (The whole game was pretty much programmed in hundreds of .txt files) you could make powerups give you huge time boosts, remove the demo time limit, and even drive the other cars that were in the demo.

I did this too. I never owned the full game. Just played the demo over and over again trying to destroy every enemy car. Discovering how to remove the time limit was a great day.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Carmageddon Reincarnation, it's announced! The site's down though.

But good news is that it's been re-acquired by Stainless which is great news. The game will be download-only though, so let's see what that means.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    http://www.videogamer.com/news/carmageddon_reincarnation_announced.html
    Stainless Games reacquires Carmageddon license.

Stainless Games, developer of Carmageddon, has reacquired the original racing IP and a downloadable game titled Carmageddon: Reincarnation is now in development and tentatively scheduled for 2012.

According to the co-founder of Stainless Games, Neil Barnden, "all the laughs, the crazy power-ups, and extreme destruction will return. We will make sure the existing fans get what they want and expect from a Carmageddon game, and a new generation discovers the delights of sliding into a Cunning Stunt."

No comment has been made regarding which platforms it will be available on.

Carmageddon was originally released in 1997.

I can't wait to slide in to a cunning stunt. Does this need a new thread/change of title to attract new people?

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Please let this be good!

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I totally read cunning stunt as something terribly different the first time.

Let's just say it rhymed.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I too look forward to sliding into stunning cunts.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »

That's the joke.

That's been the joke since 1997.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I never played Carmageddon :3 I had a mom that actually bothered to check on what I was playing even when I was 14.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

[that's the joke.gif]

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I never played Carmageddon :3 I had a mom that actually bothered to check on what I was playing even when I was 14.

Given what I spent most of my time playing with when I was 14 it's probably a good thing my Mother didn't do that.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I wouldn't mind your mum checking out what I was playing with at that age. :winky:

I'm so sorry, that was terrible.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind your mum checking out what I was playing with at that age. :winky:

I'm so sorry, that was terrible.

Why? Barbie dolls don't scare her.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Haha, totally reporting that for awesome. My drink came out my nose.

Big Classy on