As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The DC Universe (Established 2011) + Sept. Solicits

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh...does this relaunch mean that my investiture in some of my favorite characters is now moot? I liked Stephanie as Batgirl. Does this mean no more Damien as Robin? How the hell do they ret-con Batman's history without making it a total mess?

And what about my Secret Six? I want my Secret Six dang it!

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FURU THIS IS NEW AND EXCITING AND WILL FINALLY GIVE ME A JUMPING-ON POINT FOR THE DCU

Who doesn't want a bunch of new #1's written by assistant editors and Dan Didio's nephew's friend, Stevie Winkler?

And who doesn't want a DCU re-imagined by those two creative dynamos, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee?

Munch on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    man I was just talking about no more stephanie as batgirl and dick as nightwing again

I'm not casting stones about the creative teams until we know what they are

Simone all but said she's writing Adventure Comics and Nightwing via sandwich metaphor on twitter so there's that

Furu on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well Right now, I'm buying Two DC books (Detective and Batman INC)

As of September, I'm buying Batwoman, and in all likleyhood Morrison will still have a Batman title, so I'll buy that too.

So at worst, things'll stay the same for me, and at best I'll start reading other mainline books for the first time in a long time. It would suck if they renumber Detective and Action, but I won't loose any sleep over it.

Unless Batman INC stops, then I'm out.

MastaP on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Clevinger sure gets the short end of the stick a lot these days

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    There is no way that DC won't still keep counting Action and Detective issues towards a total number. Marvel does the same thing all the time.

DMAC on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eh, I'm just in a mood, and ranting.

Here's how this whole thing will work, going off past evidence: Some shit will change, but probably not as much as we think. A few books will spend way too long navel-gazing and generally trying to explain what's changed, and what's the same.

The books written by the handful of good writers DC still has, will be good. The ones written by all the middling writers, artists that feel like telling a story, and editors that told a crappy ten-page story in an 80-Page Giant once, will suck.

People will clamor about how this will be a great jumping-on point for new readers, but sales will stay basically the same as they were before, following a brief increase in interest. In a few years, new people will complain about how they can't get into this damn confusing DCU stuff, due to all the reboots.

Munch on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DC, why you gotta mess with my Batgirl? What a load of hooey.

Maximum on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ug... just sifted through this.

My big worry would be the mentioned legacy angle. they never grow up and they never get their day in the sun. And if by chance they do? They retcon that shit. Quick.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait a minute, isn't a huge part of this that they're going day and date digital? Isn't that also very important and exciting?

(I'm not being sarcastic)

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As long as the price for the digital comics is something lower than 2.99, I'll be interested. I would be happy to try out something new digitally for 1.99 or even .99 and then if I liked it I would switch to physical issues from the store.

I'm far less likely to do that if the digital issues are the same price as the physical issues.

Rans on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish the Lantern Corps book was called Corps Corps instead.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rans wrote: »
    As long as the price for the digital comics is something lower than 2.99, I'll be interested. I would be happy to try out something new digitally for 1.99 or even .99 and then if I liked it I would switch to physical issues from the store.

I'm far less likely to do that if the digital issues are the same price as the physical issues.

At this point, there is no way they won't be priced as the same as their print counterparts

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My shop didn't get their books in on time this week because of UPS not working Monday, and it trickling down so at best they get the comics this afternoon.

And that was the big concern they said about day and date digital for DC. My LCS location does decent Wednesday business, primarily the people who go in during lunch to get their list, and are usually in and out in 5-10 minutes. They don't see it affecting the weekend or monthly shop pickup, as they already wait and a digital move wouldn't really show up with them.

However, when you have holidays and other things beyond both the shop and Diamond's control with their day early policy, you're waving those issues goodbye to Wednesday people who will just pick it up digitally instead, even if they have certain books in the pull list. And the worst thing they said is that if you give just one opening like that, the relative ease is going to change people's minds about having a pull list or frequenting the shops to begin with.

So while they are not really scared about the business itself being changed, it has the possibility of siphoning off a relative amount of sales.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    So? Comic shops are a relic of an outdated business model, and a deterrent to new readers as well.

Yeah, it sucks that the people that have "been there" for the industry for so long are going to get run out, but it's an inevitability.

Garlic Bread on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rans wrote: »

At this point, there is no way they won't be priced as the same as their print counterparts

Yeah, it's a certainty that books will be the same price in print and digital at launch. Otherwise the retailers would be totally screwed. At the same price, I think more fans will want to continue picking up print editions.

Plus, we don't know if there are any incentives coming down the pipes. There were a lot of rumors over the last few years that DC might find a way to include download codes or the like in their issues.

HadjiQuest on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Apparently there's an editorial mandate that all superheroines have to be wearing pants now

Furu on
    edited June 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    So? Comic shops are a relic of an outdated business model, and a deterrent to new readers as well.

Yeah, it sucks that the people that have "been there" for the industry for so long are going to get run out, but it's an inevitability.

That's just what the shop manager said, because this blindsided them just like everyone else.

And it's more the fact that lost sales can ultimately be the fault of something outside the shop's general control. There's a difference between losing 2-3 sales to digital on some minis or someone trying out a new series, and someone who has 6-7 DC titles for the week going to download them legally because a UPS driver decided he was going to make the comic shop the last stop for the day at 4pm.

Furu wrote: »
    Apparently there's an editorial mandate that all superheroines have to be wearing pants now

I was expecting Lee to make everyone wear Huntress hotpants.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Furu wrote: »

A welcomed, yet ironic, change. What with Jim Lee doing the redesigns and all

Garlic Bread on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As far as editorial mandates go, I'm totally cool with that one.

MastaP on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't mind that, although I hope Kara gets to keep wearing a skirt over her pants. That skirt is tradition.

HadjiQuest on
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm having trouble understanding what all is going to happen with this reboot. When we're talking changes, are we expecting drastic changes? On a scale from "costume-changes-and-roster-shifts" to "Superman-is-a-hipster-with-a-kryptonite-earring-and-no-powers", what's the conventional wisdom?

Is this going to be more meaningful than the last huge reality-bending reset? Is this something I should be genuinely excited for?

FecklessRogue on
    edited June 2011
    I'm having trouble understanding what all is going to happen with this reboot. When we're talking changes, are we expecting drastic changes? On a scale from "costume-changes-and-roster-shifts" to "Superman-is-a-hipster-with-a-kryptonite-earring-and-no-powers", what's the conventional wisdom?

Is this going to be more meaningful than the last huge reality-bending reset? Is this something I should be genuinely excited for?

Apparently most of the current Batman stuff will stay the same, along with Green Lantern stories. However there is a rumor that Batgirl will go back to being Barbara Gordon, along with Lois and Clark not being married.

And from the promotional image on the front page, the heroes all look younger than in their current series. Hal looks as young as Kyle, for instance, the same with Barry. Part of this could be Lee's artwork.

DC is being really glib on the whole thing at the moment. At this point it seems to be as big as Heroes Reborn in terms of a relaunch (becuase Didio said this isn't a reboot).

edit: Gail Simone is now saying she's not writing the Deadman Adventure Comics series? Is she always that passionate about sandwiches then?
    Guys, I am not writing a Deadman series. I didn't even know there WAS one, but it sounds awesome, I love that character. Can't wait.

TexiKen on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We'll have to do a "wait and see" as Geoff to says to see what's actually what. I half wonder if this might actually be a AoA kind of deal, remember that? How all the original X books were being cancelled and replaced by this new reality of theirs, of course didn't take too long to find out it wasn't going to stick around but before that it was chaos as people asked WTF was going on. But who knows, maybe it is a new start, if not a new update, some new costumes wouldn't be so bad, I'm glad that WW isn't going back to her old one for example, Hal of course got deaged to try and make him even more relevant since he's still a block of wood.

All I know there is one big thing that if they mess around with, there shall be hell to pay from many a comic book fans.

If they change PG's costume/look.

Cade on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Really this is all wild rumor mongering and people getting way out of hand with pessimism and hearsay.

We have very, very few confirmed details, and several things posted by sites like Bleeding Cool have been debunked by writers themselves.

All I know is that I am really looking forward to a fresh look at the DCU and will be picking up quite a few of these, based on both the characters starring in them or the team behind them.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If they're bringing back Barbara Gordon, they better bring back Ted Kord. That's all I got to say about that.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
    edited June 2011
    I like Ted

But there is no way they would bring him back in a relaunch designed to be fresh, young and new reader friendly when Jaime Reyes is a teenage superhero with mainstream exposure via Brave and the Bold. I mean hell, he tested better than Batman in test audiences.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2011
    DC's already said that Jaime Reyes and Kate Kane will still be around

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2011
    I know chances are slim but id love to see another Rogers Jaime ongoing

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    All I know there is one big thing that if they mess around with, there shall be hell to pay from many a comic book fans.

Tiny little v-shaped cleavage window.

DMAC on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DMAC wrote: »

Tiny little v-shaped cleavage window.

Truly a sad day

Although the new Diana costume has boob aplenty

So I don't think PG is automatically going to lose the window.

Solar on
    edited June 2011
    edited June 2011
    Didio writes stuff?

Solar on
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Didio writes stuff?

Terribly, but yeah, he's been writing Outsiders for the past 10 or so issues. It involved a lot of delays and Didio making fun of some online critic of his.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2011
    You know what seems rather poor show

the various comments from Marvel creators about this

I expect a really dickish tweet from Breevort at some point soon

Solar on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My personal opinion on big events and how comics are being done likely will not please most of you, but here it is nontheless:

big events and reboots will NEVER, EVER bring in new readers to any big degree. Nor will the movies, cartoons, etc. You see, when a reboot happens, people like Didio think that it will unburden new readers with continuity, but the exact opposite is true. The only way to really keep new readers from getting confused is to trim the fat. Don't do big shakeups and then undo them 2 years later. Make a character bible and stick the f&ck to it. Keep the comics episodic and self-contained. This way, you don't lose more readers than you gain because long-time fans are unhappy with the change in status quo. See, that's the thing: everyone's got their favorite incarnation/era of a superhero, and tends to be turned off by alterations to that status quo. So what you do is, find a status quo that looks good, implement it, don't overcomplicate things, and never, EVER change it. It works in other forms of long-term sustained media.

The other option is to go the manga route: change the character throughout the story and eventually end the damn thing for good. Manga has proven that franchises can survive the end of their comic series. I bet the same would be true for characters like Wolverine, Superman, Spider-Man, and some others: even if their comic series ended and never came back, there's enough media imprint to sustain the franchise. Hell, people still buy DBZ sh!t, even though the series' own creator never wants to touch it again. As long as there's a new game or movie or something every now and again, the media imprint will remain.

And that's just storytelling changes. There are several business model changes that could benefit the comics world(the push to digital could turn out to be one of these). Again, taking a few keys from manga here might also actually work.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    edited June 2011
    Dildo can't take criticism much, he never could. Many a Reboot fans still hate him, he was the guy who cancelled it from ABC in the day.

Cade on
    edited June 2011
    Sagroth wrote: »
    My personal opinion on big events and how comics are being done likely will not please most of you, but here it is nontheless:

big events and reboots will NEVER, EVER bring in new readers to any big degree. Nor will the movies, cartoons, etc. You see, when a reboot happens, people like Didio think that it will unburden new readers with continuity, but the exact opposite is true. The only way to really keep new readers from getting confused is to trim the fat. Don't do big shakeups and then undo them 2 years later. Make a character bible and stick the f&ck to it. Keep the comics episodic and self-contained. This way, you don't lose more readers than you gain because long-time fans are unhappy with the change in status quo. See, that's the thing: everyone's got their favorite incarnation/era of a superhero, and tends to be turned off by alterations to that status quo. So what you do is, find a status quo that looks good, implement it, don't overcomplicate things, and never, EVER change it. It works in other forms of long-term sustained media.

That reminds me the most of DC from '99-2004, when everyone played in their own area, stories were fun, new things were done but the core stayed the same, and you still had a book like JLA being the entry point.

TexiKen on
  • IndiIndi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Many a Reboot fans still hate him, he was the guy who cancelled it from ABC in the day.

What? Godammit.

Indi on
    edited June 2011
    Indi wrote: »
    Many a Reboot fans still hate him, he was the guy who cancelled it from ABC in the day.

What? Godammit.

Yup it was him who axed the show.

Cade on