As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best FREE Mac media sharing/streaming application (DLNA compatible)

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
LG BD HTiB that with an app called "Netcast" which is some home network DLNA media program.

I've got a Macbook and MBP I need to install some software on so the guys can get their music, photos, and videos up on the TV. They'd rather not spend money on this.

Suggestions?

Deusfaux on

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it streaming to a DLNA TV or a device?

PS3 Media Server for the Mac http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list

TVMobili comes up as a free DLNA server for Mac. Looking at some forums some folks seems to like it.

It looks like, without buying something, what works and how good it works may largely depend on what you're using to stream to the TV.

badpoet on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    LG Blu-ray Home Theatre in a Box (hooked up to an LG TV)

Does the PS3 Media Server only work in conjunction with the PS3?

Guy mainly wants to share/stream his movie collection on his computer to it. I'm not sure what file type they're in, but I think he's a pirate so whatever the most common format on torrents is, I suppose.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would try the PS3 media server and see if it shows up on the Blu Ray player. It's only a DLNA server, there's not much specific for the PS3. I would think it would work fine.

The only way to know if trial and error. Different DLNA servers work with different hardware. People have to find the one that fits their needs.

badpoet on