As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nerf Guns and the Modding Thereof

• DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I assume you won't be buying these with a mind to modify them, correct? Just a decent gun that can shoot?
    The Maverick is a quality gun. Looks good, holds six darts, shoots a fair distance (~20-30 feet, depending), is easy to take apart and mod if you want to (a basic AR removal requires only a screwdriver), and only costs $10.
    I don't know what you would term breaking the bank, but many other guns can be found for $20-$30, and you could also go down to the single-shot Nite Finder, which will set you back eight bucks.

DrDinosaur on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So I got invited to a nerf war in a couple weeks. Assuming hypothetically that I want to go and don't want to settle for whatever sort of pitiful weapon is provided to me, what is a good gun that can be obtained easily and without breaking the bank? The event is being held outdoors, apparently at some sort of campground.

I always liked looking at these things when I worked for The Giraffe but I could never justify buying one.

You want the Barricade or Recon.

The Barricade holds 10 shots and is semi automatic, so no cocking of the gun is required. Gets great distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzU6OHgLK7I

The Recon uses a clip system, so if you wanted to get intense with this shit you can get a bunch of clips (6 shots per clip) and string them across a bandolier.

I found that the Recon jams the most of all the nerf guns I've used, to the point that it's ruined a half-dozen darts by shredding them in the gun, so keep that in mind. (Though I keep this gun in the trunk of my car, so it may have warped from the heat, causing this.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p6oMi_z8i0

51VG3ZRFKKL.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The standard Nerf mags can comfortably fit 7 darts (though it only says 6 per).

That's how I've always loaded my ol Longshot, anyway.

MechMantis on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not definitely planning on doing any modding, but if I could get a gun that's well-suited to tweaking that would be a nice perk.

The Barricade looks like it might be the ticket if I actually decide to do this. Any simple mods for it that I should know about just in case? Although that flywheel whine noise seems like it would be really annoying and obviously completely ruinous to any attempt at stealth.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Gaslight on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not definitely planning on doing any modding, but if I could get a gun that's well-suited to tweaking that would be a nice perk.

The Barricade looks like it might be the ticket if I actually decide to do this. Any simple mods for it that I should know about just in case? Although that flywheel whine noise seems like it would be really annoying and obviously completely ruinous to any attempt at stealth.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I recommend the Maverick for its ease in reloading. Removing its air restricters is pretty easy so long as you have a long-necked metal object like a screwdriver and you can also do the Russian Roullette mod to let the cylinder hang out for easier reloading if you have access to a dremel or are willing to whittle down the plastic yourself with wire cutters and then an exacto knife.

I do not recommend the Barricade if you want to be the least bit stealthy.

MrDelish on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Recon is prone to jamming and will leave much to be desired. It has an underpowered system and I am very dissapointed with mine.

Get a Raider

Or dual wield Mavericks

Both my Longshot and Maverick are original Blue Versions. Which I hear are the 'better' versions. I have modded my Longshot but not my maverick.

Or get a Nerf Bastard Sword and go Jedi on them. If you think you can deflect darts.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone have a swarmfire? Looks ridiculous.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited June 2011
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    The Recon is prone to jamming and will leave much to be desired. It has an underpowered system and I am very dissapointed with mine.

A bit comforting to hear, as I thought maybe I just got a bum unit.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited June 2011
    Man, after watching more videos of the Barricade I just don't think I can put up with that noise. Which is a bummer because I like everything else about it.

Gaslight on
    edited June 2011

A bit comforting to hear, as I thought maybe I just got a bum unit.

I shit you not.

If you take a Raider, Put the Longshot Scope on it and put a clip in the side instead of the drum, it looks EXACTLY like a Stormtrooper rifle with a forward grip.

MagicPrime on
    edited June 2011
    Man, after watching more videos of the Barricade I just don't think I can put up with that noise. Which is a bummer because I like everything else about it.

Yeah the noise is a bit annoying sometimes, but it's a trade off for how fast and how far the damn thing fires.

I bought the Value pack with the stock and the entire thing feels really solid.

%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CHNR34403lg.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited June 2011
    get a primary weapon that's quiet for stealth moments and a Barricade for "oh my gooooooorsh zombies" moments

use some kind of string or twine on one of 'em as a sling

MrDelish on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As far as I can tell from the video, a Barricade could be made absolutely brutal. The 'flywheel' system appears to be pretty much a miniaturised pitching machine.

Replace the motors with brushless motors small enough to fit, and the shitty bearings in the flywheel pivots with actual ballraces, and you could be flinging darts very far indeed. You could even custom fit a barrel extension mod that actually guided the darts like a real barrel for increased accuracy.

If you wanted to, you could make it so that the brushless motors only spin when you pull the trigger for reduced noise. There would be some experimenting with motors and capacitors to ensure they accelerate fast enough in the 20th of a second or so to put some force behind the dart, but it is do-able.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited June 2011
    If you wanted to, you could make it so that the brushless motors only spin when you pull the trigger for reduced noise. There would be some experimenting with motors and capacitors to ensure they accelerate fast enough in the 20th of a second or so to put some force behind the dart, but it is do-able.

The one video I was watching referred to it being possible to do this, though the impression I got was that there was an unavoidable added delay when pulling the trigger as the wheels spin up.

Edit: OK this is cool but more work than I am prepared to go to.

Gaslight on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I looked at the link, he does a bitch job. The motors and bearings are what really need upgrading, more than the batteries. And using the batteries to charge a bank of capacitors so that they fire when you pull the trigger and spin the motors up super fast would give comparable battery life out of standard batteries.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Or dual wield Mavericks

Both my Longshot and Maverick are original Blue Versions. Which I hear are the 'better' versions. I have modded my Longshot but not my maverick.

Or get a Nerf Bastard Sword and go Jedi on them. If you think you can deflect darts.

I dunno how people dual wield really any nerf gun. It just annoys me to have drop one to get the other locked and loaded.

And the battle axe may be better for reflecting darts. Although you lose the nexus look.

WingedWeasel on
    edited June 2011

Or dual wield Mavericks

I dunno how people dual wield really any nerf gun. It just annoys me to have drop one to get the other locked and loaded.

And the battle axe may be better for reflecting darts. Although you lose the nexus look.

Dual-wielding Mavericks is easy. With some practice, you can easily cock both guns by putting the slides against each other (top to top) and pushing them both back at the same time. Or you can run a string as has been previously mentioned, and use it to pull the slide.

Loading, however, is a bit more difficult of course, but loading any nerf gun that isn't clip based is a pain.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited June 2011
    Finally came across some of the clear series at a local Target last night. Toys R Us carries the Sonic series, which is basically green tinted clear plastic, as well.

Also saw a a gun I never heard of the "Alpha Trooper". Gonna have to do my research on that one.

Also they had a clear raider. Gonna have to look that one up as well.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited June 2011
    the Alpha Trooper is just a Recon with an 18-round drum magazine. Kind of neat but you can spend money better elsewhere

I've pretty much determined to not buy magazine-fed guns anymore since my friends can't figure out how to just use streamline darts

MrDelish on
  • OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ive found the Alpha Trooper to be a soild gun. This site compares its internals to the Raider. It also has slam fire which is similar to the Raider.

Also this 252951_10150652146345525_671330524_19121990_3687332_n.jpg looks badass

Octobot on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Alpha Trooper is the only gun I dont own, because I just cant figure out a good place for it. I guess as a backup in zombie games? Seems like something with more oomph would be good, but then again, I've never fired one.

Mr Pink on
    edited June 2011
    So in case anybody's interested I decided to just get myself a Maverick for now (plus an extra 36-pack of darts). The low price tag, reported compatibility with most dart types (useful if I'm scavenging ammo off the ground mid-battle), moddability, and general high praise for its all-around solid performance from almost every source I checked sold me.

Plus it apparently looks pretty bitchin' with a custom paint job.

Gaslight on
    edited June 2011
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited June 2011
    Is.. Is this an anti-toy gun campaign video? I can't see this doing any good for gamers and the nerf/airsoft/paintball players.

Oh, and what's worse than the ever-increasing number of battery powered Nerf guns? Battery powered Super Soakers..
    B84B4DE85056900B103D858D127AE3A0.jpg
    Really? Really?!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited June 2011
    So after work tonight I stopped by Toys R Us, just to look, you know, and, and well, they had the Raider on sale aaaaaand I did something I'm not proud of.

Is there any mechanical reason why I can't remove the black plastic thing inside the drum magazine so I can fill the whole thing? I'm talking about the thing which looks sort of like two darts joined together, made out of black plastic, which stops me from using the last 5-6 slots in the drum.

Gaslight on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So after work tonight I stopped by Toys R Us, just to look, you know, and, and well, they had the Raider on sale aaaaaand I did something I'm not proud of.

Is there any mechanical reason why I can't remove the black plastic thing inside the drum magazine so I can fill the whole thing? I'm talking about the thing which looks sort of like two darts joined together, made out of black plastic, which stops me from using the last 5-6 slots in the drum.

That's the bit that pushes up the last darts out of the drum and into the mag. Also I think it might also be what rotates the drum. (spring pushes it around and up into the mag.) It's integral.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    edited June 2011
    Aioua wrote: »
    That's the bit that pushes up the last darts out of the drum and into the mag. Also I think it might also be what rotates the drum. (spring pushes it around and up into the mag.) It's integral.

Yes, watching how the drum operates as I get down to the last few darts I see what it's for now. It seems like they would still have been able to make it work without wasting the last few dart slots if they had used a longer connector for the black thing.

But hey, the thing does hold 35 darts, so I can't really complain. I'm disappointed with the range and power though, mine barely shoots 20 feet before the darts drop rapidly. Thinking of opening 'er up and trying my hand at drilling out the air restrictor when I have some time.

This is a sickness, isn't it?

Gaslight on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I took out the air restrictor on mine and it's quite satisfying.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

While I like the animation, the fact that it's kids is kind of weird.

Mr Pink on
    edited June 2011
    Mr Pink wrote: »

While I like the animation, the fact that it's kids is kind of weird.

Half of this is just what most of us were imagining when we played with nerf guns and the like as kids anyway, whether you think that's good or bad...

My favorite part is how some of the kids were clearly cracking up laughing while in their death convulsions.

Gaslight on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That is most of my childhood right there, at least how I imagined it. Totally awesome. :^:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2011
    The kid getting his arm blown off with the lightning gun then it doing the anime high pressure spray was hilarious.

MagicPrime on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so anyone have an idea where I can get an Alpha Trooper in canada? it looks pretty awesome and i want one for my collection, also need that cool 18 dart drum.

But we lack targets up here, and i just can't seem to find an online retailer that will ship it to me.

saw some on ebay, but they want $70+ for it with shipping, just way too much :(

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Foomy wrote: »
    so anyone have an idea where I can get an Alpha Trooper in canada? it looks pretty awesome and i want one for my collection, also need that cool 18 dart drum.

But we lack targets up here, and i just can't seem to find an online retailer that will ship it to me.

If you dont mind the shipping I might be willing to just grab one off the shelf here and send it. PM me your address and I'll look into costs.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Muriden wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »

If you dont mind the shipping I might be willing to just grab one off the shelf here and send it. PM me your address and I'll look into costs.

that could work, thanks, pm sent.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I can finally talk about my latest project, I present to you The Internet Controlled Dual Vulcan Sentry Gun!

wmelon on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy.

Shit.

TL DR on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    That sentry gun is fucking cool, wmelon. Awesome, awesome work.

This thread's talk of mods and paintjobs inspired me to buy a Recon, which I think is a really cool blaster. I'm about to remove the air restrictor and want to try the reverse plunger that MrD posted a few pages back, but I'd like to hear about others' results. Particularly if the extra strain on everything leads to things getting damaged or broken.

I read somewhere that a good way to help with that is to pad the plunger, but is there any other way to make sure that my spiffy new toy lasts for a good long time?

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So the Vortex line is out, picked up the Praxis and Vigilon out of the 4 guns available. couldnt bring myself to buy a single shot pistol or the battery powered one.

Both of the guns are solid and the discs have some decent range on them 50-60ft

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Will probably pickup the assault rifle one next time I am by toys r us.

Picked up a maverick a few months ago just to screw around with, shooting posters around the house etc. Then everytime I was at at target I went down the toy aisle to see what was on sale or what else is out there. I now have

maverick (russian roulette modded, unfortunately it doesn't easily snap closed now)
    nite finder (pretty solid pistol)
    barricade (this thing is loud but cool)
    alpha trooper (nice with a drum mag, wish I could find those sold separate)
    recon (pretty decent but does tend to jam, ripped up a few darts)
    long strike or shot, the newer one that looks like a druganov, pretty fun but range isn't that spectacular, i think this is the streamline darts fault mainly.
    dart tag quick 8, whatever the big pistol is called, this is also pretty solid.
    vulcan, toys r us had it on sale for like $30, pretty damn fun, also found a few of the ammo belts + 30 whistler dart packs at target clearance for $5
    barrel break - toys r us exclusive sawed off shotgun looking thing, this is awesome

buzz bee wierd ass rotating barrell 12 shot pistol, range kinda sucks, mainly bought it to see if the darts would work with nerf, they do but they are lighter
    buzz bee shotgun with shells that eject, this is fantastic for $10, has more ranged than some of my nerf blasters.

Want to pick up one of the vortexes, probably the assault rifle. The battery one is tempting but I dont see a manual fire on it. Not sure how long the batteries will last.
    Also want to get a nerf deploy, stampede and that 3 in one with the bow. Waiting for a toys r us sale to hit that.

I am running out of space for nerf guns.

My brother came over a few weeks ago, and nerf guns tend to lead to nerf wars I've found. When we were done the entire floor was covered in darts, and I have probably ~200 at this point.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek