Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Other Acts that you would like to see

teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User
edited June 2007 in PAX Archive
I do enjoy the current line up, but there are some other acts that I would've loved to see in the context of the con:

FINAL FANTASY
Owen Pallett, a self proclaimed renaissance nerd, Former parts of the Canadian super acts: The Hidden Cameras and The Arcade Fire. He plays shows with just him and his violin, and is very cool.
His latest album "He Poos Clouds" is really well written, based of the different styles of magic in Dungeons and Dragons, its kinda a concept album.


you can check out some of his stuff on YouTube
Live cover of the Arcade fire song "No Cars Go"
Music Video For "He Poos Clouds"
More videos under the related

The main problem I see with his work is its a bit soft, but its really good, and topical so I dunno.

ALSO, in the Completely different direction

HORSE the band

These guys rawk hard. their music, using very nintendo-y synthesizers, make a big violent musical wall, they often write songs that most of us can relate to, also a very strong 8 bit influence to thier song writing. I JUST missed these guys when they came to play in Ottawa, and I was sad.

Check them out
Here is a live performance of Cutsman, based off the Robot master Cutman in first Megaman(But you already knew that)

Here is the video for "Birdo"
I would love to see these guys live and just rawk out with a bunch of nerds.

teamquiggan on

Posts

  • ScotasianglishScotasianglish Registered User
    edited May 2007
    HORSE would have been interesting. I saw them last year, just after PAX, when they rolled through with Dragonforce and All That Remains. A very entertaining show, decidedly nerdy.

    Scotasianglish on
    The original chinese-welsh-scotsman with a japanese last name.
  • anableanable Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It breaks my heart that the first year I get to go to PAX, mc chris isn't showing up. Not that he's come on board again since PAX 05, but I need it.

    edit: OK, I just had to comment on this sentence: His latest album "He Poos Clouds" is really well written, based of the different styles of magic in Dungeons and Dragons, its kinda a concept album.

    I never thought I would see/hear a sentence that included the words "poo(s)" and "well written" in my lifetime.

    anable on
  • Magically_StoopidMagically_Stoopid Registered User
    edited May 2007
    I know that while his not 100% video games. Having Dieselboy come to perform a set would rule.

    Hey his last album was called "The Dungeonmaster's Guide"... it could work.

    Magically_Stoopid on
    Crustyrailgun.gif
    My Wii numbers - 5427 1165 2806 1979
    ~PM me if you add me to your Wii Address book with your Wii numbers~
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User
    edited May 2007
    anable wrote: »
    It breaks my heart that the first year I get to go to PAX, mc chris isn't showing up. Not that he's come on board again since PAX 05, but I need it.

    mc chris is a horrid phony, his nerdy content, while no doubt more then many, is horribly lacking, he has a song called "Wiid" which has no reference to Video games at all. He is more interested in a goofy college stoner sect then anything, but cant call himself rap proper as he sounds like he is 10. I like that he writes openly about being persecuted, but other then that there isn't really any real nerdy content, for every "Game Boy Advance" there's 12 "Kathy Lee lets me rub my dick on her boobs". He is not famous because he is successful, he is successful because he is famous. He is the Paris Hilton of the Nerdcore community.

    anable wrote: »
    I never thought I would see/hear a sentence that included the words "poo(s)" and "well written" in my lifetime.

    He won a $20,000 prize for his writing on that album.

    teamquiggan on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dammit, My band was "supposed" to play with Horse this year on their tour but alas, it was not to be... too bad because it would have been an awesome bill.

    I'm still very hopefull that we'll get PAX '08... y'know maybe...

    I still love MC Chris, even if he isn't totally nerdcore.

    I gotta stop posting hammered....

    Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN
  • anableanable Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    anable wrote: »
    It breaks my heart that the first year I get to go to PAX, mc chris isn't showing up. Not that he's come on board again since PAX 05, but I need it.

    mc chris is a horrid phony, his nerdy content, while no doubt more then many, is horribly lacking, he has a song called "Wiid" which has no reference to Video games at all. He is more interested in a goofy college stoner sect then anything, but cant call himself rap proper as he sounds like he is 10. I like that he writes openly about being persecuted, but other then that there isn't really any real nerdy content, for every "Game Boy Advance" there's 12 "Kathy Lee lets me rub my dick on her boobs". He is not famous because he is successful, he is successful because he is famous. He is the Paris Hilton of the Nerdcore community.

    He actually does call himself a rapper and he has a song called "Like a 10 year old." Pretty funny stuff. And while I applaud your ability to research someone just enough to sound like you know what you're talking about when you say they suck, you only have to look the entirety of his latest album to see the amount of nerdy content he's capable of producing. My personal apologies to you that not every one of his songs is about Mario saving Princess Peach. I'll be the first to admit that he may not be as "nerdy" as some people on the current bill, but calling him the Paris Hilton of the nerdcore community is an insult to your intelligence. Regardless of your fondness his content, he does have the ability to create something, which is infinitely more than Paris does.

    anable on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User
    edited May 2007
    anable wrote: »
    anable wrote: »
    It breaks my heart that the first year I get to go to PAX, mc chris isn't showing up. Not that he's come on board again since PAX 05, but I need it.

    mc chris is a horrid phony, his nerdy content, while no doubt more then many, is horribly lacking, he has a song called "Wiid" which has no reference to Video games at all. He is more interested in a goofy college stoner sect then anything, but cant call himself rap proper as he sounds like he is 10. I like that he writes openly about being persecuted, but other then that there isn't really any real nerdy content, for every "Game Boy Advance" there's 12 "Kathy Lee lets me rub my dick on her boobs". He is not famous because he is successful, he is successful because he is famous. He is the Paris Hilton of the Nerdcore community.

    He actually does call himself a rapper and he has a song called "Like a 10 year old." Pretty funny stuff. And while I applaud your ability to research someone just enough to sound like you know what you're talking about when you say they suck, you only have to look the entirety of his latest album to see the amount of nerdy content he's capable of producing. My personal apologies to you that not every one of his songs is about Mario saving Princess Peach. I'll be the first to admit that he may not be as "nerdy" as some people on the current bill, but calling him the Paris Hilton of the nerdcore community is an insult to your intelligence. Regardless of your fondness his content, he does have the ability to create something, which is infinitely more than Paris does.

    Just to clarify something really quickly, MC Chris isn't a nerd. He has said this. He has said he doesn't play many video games, he isn't into D&D or anything classically nerdy. He has stated the fact that he just likes to appeal to the nerdcore crowd and does so with his gaming content. MC Chris isn't the be all of nerdcore, he is weak sauce, he does it because it's more likely he can get fans in the nerdcore community given his rather childish voice. I am personally a fan of MC Chris, not because he is nerdcore, but because he writes decent rhymes and presents them in a humorous way. I like that. He isn't a nerd though, I believe he has said that he likes Star Wars, but that is the extent of it.

    Here is a quote from an interview he did with Slashdot in 2005 before PAX.
    "I'm not as hardcore a nerd as people want to think I am. I'm much more of a loser. I try to listen though and get to know my fans and what they're into and then put it into the songs to an extent. I think that being solely about geek stuff like computers is dangerous though, because then you get pidgeonholed. the music is mainly about me not so much the scene."

    Straight from the horses mouth, which isn't to say he isn't good. He is interesting funny and actually an intelligent guy. Just not a "nerd".

    Officer on
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User
    edited May 2007
    Ok, before I get into this I would like to say, I used to be a fan of mc chris, and was disillusioned when I dug deeper and found out more about who he is and what his background was, I had spent many hours researching him for a project I was working on, and I was appalled.
    anable wrote: »
    He actually does call himself a rapper and he has a song called "Like a 10 year old." Pretty funny stuff.

    I know this, why do you think I picked that age? I guess subtly is a lost art.
    anable wrote: »
    And while I applaud your ability to research someone just enough to sound like you know what you're talking about when you say they suck, you only have to look the entirety of his latest album to see the amount of nerdy content he's capable of producing.

    Please, read the lyrics from his latest album, as Im sure you no doubt squeal with glee when he mentions Soul Callibur 3 or Revolver Ocelot, if you actually read, out of the 9 songs, 1 deals with video games (well half video games half smoking dope). The rest is a mish mash of braggadocio and self pity, with a large amount of reference to drug use, and a smattering of "nerdy content". Apparently you are so blinded by your desire to idolize mc chris, you cant see the the writing on the wall.
    anable wrote: »
    My personal apologies to you that not every one of his songs is about Mario saving Princess Peach. I'll be the first to admit that he may not be as "nerdy" as some people on the current bill,
    I'm pretty sure everyone on the bill is legitimately a nerd and not trying to cash in on a bizarre marketing scheme. If it wasn't for nerds there wouldn't be an mc chris, but he wishes to turn his back to the community that built him, looking for greener pastures that are already filled with poor niche rappers.
    anable wrote: »
    but calling him the Paris Hilton of the nerdcore community is an insult to your intelligence. Regardless of your fondness his content, he does have the ability to create something, which is infinitely more than Paris does.
    Apparently you cant grasp context either, I had said that, like Paris Hilton, he got famous first, then used that to launch a carrier. He, like Paris, won't do anything if it isn't about money, this is why he doesn't do PAX. He doesn't get paid.

    teamquiggan on
  • anableanable Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

    anable on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I've heard this comment about MC Chris saying he doesn't want to perform at PAX after '05 because it's not a paying gig before somewhere else as well.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • anableanable Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm in no position to dispute that. I haven't read/heard anything either way. I don't exactly blame him for it. PAX isn't a charity event and I'm actually pretty surprised to hear that the musicians don't get paid. I suppose they recoup some of their losses through merchandise sales but that's still pretty surprising.

    anable on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I think some of them do it for the exposure. I mean where else are you going to get to play in front of 5,500 screaming, sweaty geeks? No where, that's where.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User
    edited May 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    I think some of them do it for the exposure. I mean where else are you going to get to play in front of 5,500 screaming, sweaty geeks? No where, that's where.

    there is much troofiness to this.

    teamquiggan on
  • ThelloThello Registered User
    edited May 2007
    MC Chris had the single most entertaining set out of any year. I don't really care how "nerdcore" he is. At the very least, he's funny and he knows how to work even the incredibly reserved, stand-still PAX crowd into getting involved a bit. On the flipside, I'm bored to tears when Optimus Rhyme plays live because every single lyric is completely drowned out by their music and I can't make out a word of it. It's like listening to the teacher from Charlie Brown wail over heavy bass for 45 minutes.

    Thello on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    I think some of them do it for the exposure. I mean where else are you going to get to play in front of 5,500 screaming, sweaty geeks? No where, that's where.

    that's the reason I want to do it.

    b0wser on
    [Enforcers] are the fucking best.
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thello wrote: »
    MC Chris had the single most entertaining set out of any year. I don't really care how "nerdcore" he is. At the very least, he's funny and he knows how to work even the incredibly reserved, stand-still PAX crowd into getting involved a bit. On the flipside, I'm bored to tears when Optimus Rhyme plays live because every single lyric is completely drowned out by their music and I can't make out a word of it. It's like listening to the teacher from Charlie Brown wail over heavy bass for 45 minutes.

    Some of us happen to enjoy our music done by real instruments thank you very much.

    TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThelloThello Registered User
    edited May 2007
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Thello wrote: »
    MC Chris had the single most entertaining set out of any year. I don't really care how "nerdcore" he is. At the very least, he's funny and he knows how to work even the incredibly reserved, stand-still PAX crowd into getting involved a bit. On the flipside, I'm bored to tears when Optimus Rhyme plays live because every single lyric is completely drowned out by their music and I can't make out a word of it. It's like listening to the teacher from Charlie Brown wail over heavy bass for 45 minutes.

    Some of us happen to enjoy our music done by real instruments thank you very much.
    Obviously, but they shouldn't be cranked up past the point of understanding the lyricist, especially in rap for crying out loud. I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.

    Thello on
  • djdoomikedjdoomike Registered User
    edited May 2007
    How about Jonathan Mann aka Gamejew? He does fairly badass songs that are nerdy. Scroll down and listen to Shigeru Miyamoto, it's amazing.

    djdoomike on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thello wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Thello wrote: »
    MC Chris had the single most entertaining set out of any year. I don't really care how "nerdcore" he is. At the very least, he's funny and he knows how to work even the incredibly reserved, stand-still PAX crowd into getting involved a bit. On the flipside, I'm bored to tears when Optimus Rhyme plays live because every single lyric is completely drowned out by their music and I can't make out a word of it. It's like listening to the teacher from Charlie Brown wail over heavy bass for 45 minutes.

    Some of us happen to enjoy our music done by real instruments thank you very much.
    Obviously, but they shouldn't be cranked up past the point of understanding the lyricist, especially in rap for crying out loud. I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.

    Ahh my bad it sounded like you were complaining that you didn't like the music not that the sound guys had it cranked up to high to the point you couldn't make out the rapping.

    TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Registered User
    edited May 2007
    You know what nerdcore is? THIS is fuckin' nerdCORE. Too bad DZK hasn't done anything else in this vein.

    ElectricTurtle on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Numquam magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
    There has never been a great spirit without a touch of insanity.
    (Seneca Philosophus, De tranquillitate animis)
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User
    edited May 2007
    djdoomike wrote: »
    How about Jonathan Mann aka Gamejew? He does fairly badass songs that are nerdy. Scroll down and listen to Shigeru Miyamoto, it's amazing.
    I really like this, and it strikes a good vein with me. Thanks for turning me on to this, yeah, this dude defenatly needs more attention. He plays his poor singing voice really well.

    You know what nerdcore is? THIS is fuckin' nerdCORE. Too bad DZK hasn't done anything else in this vein.

    This is bad ass, I hate companies that just don't get it. Fuck, retaining control of your IP is important, but this is the realm of satire. People know that these aren't derivative works.

    teamquiggan on
  • TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Wishfull thinking I know, but I would love to see The Sword play here. They are not what you'd call Nerdcore, but they are very D&D influenced fantasy Metal.

    TheProphetElijah on
  • ThelloThello Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Buckethead (the guy who did Jordan in Guitar Hero II) would probably make a good addition. I heard he broke into one of the zelda themes in the middle of a blistering solo at some recent performance.

    Thello on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I just found these guys, Futuristic Sex Robotz, and they have rapped about how RIAA/MPAA/BSA/DMCA sucks, WoW (the guys in the video are obviously not the FSR), Halo, Snakes on a Plane, and how Data is the pimp daddy of ST:TNG.

    ElectricTurtle on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Numquam magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
    There has never been a great spirit without a touch of insanity.
    (Seneca Philosophus, De tranquillitate animis)
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wishfull thinking I know, but I would love to see The Sword play here. They are not what you'd call Nerdcore, but they are very D&D influenced fantasy Metal.

    Three Inches of Blood is a "local" act (from Canada now living in Tacoma) who are heavily D&D influenced and incredible. I myself would love to see a bit more of a metal influence, but that's just one man's opinion. Bloodhag would be a fantasic addition too, as all their songs are about science fiction and fantasy writers, with Anne McAffrey being one of my personal favorites.

    Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    David Bowie.

    I know, just...let me dream...

    leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Bloodhag would be a fantasic addition too, as all their songs are about science fiction and fantasy writers, with Anne McAffrey being one of my personal favorites.

    Ah Bloodhag, a band with really intelligent lyrics sung completely unintelligibly. But yes they would be a perfect band for PAX.

    TheProphetElijah on
This discussion has been closed.