As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forums Ventrilo Server

• Options
    DarkfishDarkfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Argh I'm having a stupid problem with vent at the mo. I go into a server but my push to talk key doesn't work. I hold down LALT and my icon doesn't go green.

:(

Darkfish on
    hyrulesig1ui.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Darkfish wrote:
    Argh I'm having a stupid problem with vent at the mo. I go into a server but my push to talk key doesn't work. I hold down LALT and my icon doesn't go green.

:(
    Is your "mute microphone bind" button checked?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Someone has been griefing the server over the last couple of days, evading bans using dynamic IPs. I'm pretty sure it's just one person--if it was a group, there would be more than one of them at a time. My gut tells me it's unreal, or maybe someone else from Vicious' checkered past.

I haven't come across any easy solutions for this problem. I don't know if there's a method for banning a range of IPs (the dynamic IPs this griefer uses all come from the same range of addresses) and I've asked about this on the Ventrilo forums; haven't yet heard back about that. If it's possible, that would probably solve the problem.

Other than that, the options are to put a password on the server, or to just constantly ban this person whenever he/she is spotted. The password thing is an absolute last resort option, so at this point you will just have to be patient. If someone comes into your channel and starts piping annoying stuff, the best solution is to just Mute that person yourself (right click-->User-->Mute) without making a big deal out of it, and try to contact a mod.

I apologize for this nonsense, but at this point, there's not really anything we can do about it. Hopefully whoever this sad, lonely person is will just give up eventually.

Captain K on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    So. Like. 11 days since contest ended.

*poke*

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    IMPORTANT

If you had any experience with a user named "Pooper", please PM me or talk to me on the Ventrilo server. Any experience at all--knowing how old he sounds, having any experience being griefed by him before he was banned, anything at all. I'm pretty sure this griefer is whoever Pooper was, but the ban list doesn't say anything particularly special for Pooper's ban reason.

The IP addresses this mysterious griefer has been using all resolve through a WHOIS to BellSouth.net, Inc. I'm writing up an email to BellSouth's abuse department with a list of IP addresses this griefer has hit us from over the past few days... and it looks like the IP address Pooper was banned from also resolves to BellSouth.net. So if you have any recollections at all about Pooper, please PM me, IM me, whatever.

Captain K on
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    GUYS I JUST FOUND SOME VENT SETTINGS

I set up the server to auto-ban spammers

Xieflow on
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    It seems like no one can hear me, and I'm in an actual channel with other people, and can hear them, but apparently my speech isn't going through. What is the problem?

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    It seems like no one can hear me, and I'm in an actual channel with other people, and can hear them, but apparently my speech isn't going through. What is the problem?

I globally muted you because you were piping back everyone to everyone because your mic wasn't setup. We said in the channel to go into chat if you got it fixed.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Xieflow wrote:

I globally muted you because you were piping back everyone to everyone because your mic wasn't setup. We said in the channel to go into chat if you got it fixed.

I have a headset with a mic attached directly to my speakers, and my speech isn't going through. I don't know if my options are preventing me from sending speech or what.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Xieflow wrote:

I have a headset with a mic attached directly to my speakers, and my speech isn't going through. I don't know if my options are preventing me from sending speech or what.

Well, I'll unmute you again, however, if your mic is still messed up expect to be quickly muted, unless you grab someone and run to a side channel to solve it.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Xieflow wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:

Well, I'll unmute you again, however, if your mic is still messed up expect to be quickly muted, unless you grab someone and run to a side channel to solve it.

Should I be able to hear myself through my headset? I really have no idea if its fixed unless I jump in a chat and see if it works.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Xieflow wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:

Should I be able to hear myself through my headset? I really have no idea if its fixed unless I jump in a chat and see if it works.

No, you wouldn't. What you do to test it out is put "CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH MY MIKE?" in your comment, and sit in an empty chat channel. Make sure to click the CHAT button to open up your chat, and then using that get your mic fixed.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Xieflow wrote:
    No, you wouldn't. What you do to test it out is put "CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH MY MIKE?" in your comment, and sit in an empty chat channel. Make sure to click the CHAT button to open up your chat, and then using that get your mic fixed.

Ugh, now it appears that they aren't recieving my text in the chat either.

Alright, I have a headset with 2 cords. One with a symbol for headphones, one with a symbol of a mic. I can't hear anyone speaking when the mic cord is plugged into my speakers, but I can hear people talking with the headphone cord. Which should I use?

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Xieflow wrote:

How exactly does this work? I mean, what constitutes "spamming" in Ventrilo? Constantly hitting the push to talk key?

Henroid on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Xieflow wrote:

Alright, I have a headset with 2 cords. One with a symbol for headphones, one with a symbol of a mic. I can't hear anyone speaking when the mic cord is plugged into my speakers, but I can hear people talking with the headphone cord. Which should I use?

Uh. You need to plug the mic cord into your PC where a little microphone symbol should be. Not into your speakers.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Henroid wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:

How exactly does this work? I mean, what constitutes "spamming" in Ventrilo? Constantly hitting the push to talk key?

One of vicious' friends from another vent server came on, and he was a dick. He was banned.

He has dynamic IP, however, and came back piping music in channels. Each time he was banned, he came back a few seconds later.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:

One of vicious' friends from another vent server came on, and he was a dick. He was banned.

He has dynamic IP, however, and came back piping music in channels. Each time he was banned, he came back a few seconds later.

I'm sure Henroid knows that. I think he was asking how the anti-spam settings are activated. Currently, if you send TTS more than 4 times in 1 second, change channels more than 4 times in 1 second, do a wav bind more than 4 times in one second, it will auto-ban you. I can decrease the # of times, increase how long it waits, and change whether it kicks or bans you

Xieflow on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Xieflow wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:

I'm sure Henroid knows that. I think he was asking how the anti-spam settings are activated. Currently, if you send TTS more than 4 times in 1 second, change channels more than 4 times in 1 second, do a wav bind more than 4 times in one second, it will auto-ban you. I can decrease the # of times, increase how long it waits, and change whether it kicks or bans you
    Impressive. :^:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:

Uh. You need to plug the mic cord into your PC where a little microphone symbol should be. Not into your speakers.

Done, now lets see if it works.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Henroid wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:

Impressive. :^:

Problem: The guy would often just sit in one channel piping music, he didn't really move around much.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2006
    Xieflow wrote:

Headphones goes into speaker, mic goes into mic or line-in jack on the back of your computer.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Long story short: the $20 server bill is due on the 16th, it's the 11th and there's $7.60 in the PayPal account. It looks like Meiz made a donation to last month's fee after we had raised the $20--even after I had already paid the bill, in fact--so we're that much closer to this months fee, thanks to him.

So, if you're interested in donating to the server, please fire off a PayPal donation to dkirby@email.unc.edu and make sure you post about it here so we can raise the roof fo' yo' ass. Remember, no individual donations larger than $5.50--this is a team effort.

Captain K on
  • Options
    WharkWhark Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I do believe quite a bit of roof raising is required.

Seriously though, raise it off my rich southern grandmother. She gives so much birthday moneys. I couldn't not share with you guys. I would mail out slices of my birthday cake, but last time that happened Pikapuff got the runs in the middle of cuddling with a 6 year old girl. And that was really awkward. So, server funding it is.

<3 forever, Whark

Whark on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    :shock:

whark!!

:shock:

Captain K on
  • Options
    coolpcoolp Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    All you guys on vent need to go download Tremulous - www.tremulous.net

The thread for it is here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073820926

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    TheHanku6TheHanku6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    It won't let me connect.

Unable to resolve the specified DNS/Hostname

TheHanku6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Hey, Captain K, remember when I talked to you about moving to Texas and being limited to dialup for a while? And then you reassured me that I could use Ventrilo on a dialup connection? Allow me to summarize my findings:

D:

Anyhow, I'll be out from the Ventrilo'ing a little bit longer. Unless my case is stupidly unique. That or Windows auto-update didn't stop after I made it stop. Which means I'll be trying it again.

I hope y'all are doing fine, kickin' ass in DotA and whatever else we'd play.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I finally have a working mic. Thanks PikaPuff <3

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I finally have a working mic. Thanks PikaPuff <3
    good. now that you don't have to type, you have your hands free. [spoiler:1d083ebe5a]spread them cheecks, boy. I'm going in. :o [/spoiler:1d083ebe5a] you got a pretty face.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TheHanku6TheHanku6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I see what I did wrong. I can connect again.

TheHanku6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Two things to note:

1) the server bill is paid for this month, service being brought to you by Mordrack, Rook, somebody whose PayPal donation message said "G-mod, fucker" (who donated way too much) and Whark (who donated WAY too much)

2) Since Xieflow and Bryse Eayo have had pretty limited online time over the last month or two, I asked Mordrack if he would consider stepping up to the modship plate. He accepted--to my delight, as Mordrack is level-headed, mature, fair, and (as George R.R. Martin might say) does not suffer fools gladly.

So for the next couple of weeks Mordrack will be a "junior mod", or whatever. I seriously doubt he's going to go crazy and ban everybody for no reason, but hey, there's always that chance. One bit of advice for you speaker-users: if you want to get on Mordrack's good side, I highly suggest you open up Ventrilo Setup and uncheck the "play key clicks" option.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Sweet. Mordrack's been around from the beginning, hasn't he?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Mordrack is the fucking man. Good choice. :^:

Henroid on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I'll try not to get too drunk with power. Muhahahaha, er, I mean i'm just here to wash my hands.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I'm piping random Bad Religion in vent.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Great, Orikae! The perfect opportunity for Mordrack to test out his mod powers... Mordrack, are you familiar with global mute yet? :wink:

[spoiler:dc92c6ea5b]It's a joke. Bad Religion isn't pretty good.[/spoiler:dc92c6ea5b]

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2006
    deleted

Urian on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I'm nipping this in the bud immediately: as was decreed in Summer '05, this thread is not a place for drama to play out. If you have a personal problem with someone else who you've interacted with on the Ventrilo server, take it to PMs, or work it out in Ventrilo.

Captain K on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2006
    Fine, i'll edit it out then.

edit 2: nevermind

Urian on
  • Options
    KilogreKilogre Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I'll be mod someday

Kilogre on