As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade Strip "The New Kid" to become Motion Picture

TaramoorTaramoor StorytellerRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Paramount Studios has optioned the rights to a Penny Arcade comic strip.

We must discuss this event that has happened, because it is huge and awesome.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/paramount-plots-next-animated-pic-194394

Paramount Plots Next Animated Pic with Alien Comic Adaptation 'New Kid' (Exclusive)The studio has picked up rights and tapped "Book of Eli" writer Gary Whitta to pen the script.

After tasting success of its first non-DreamWorks Animation-produced animated film Rango, Paramount is jumping into the medium again with New Kid.

The project is an adaptation of an online comic from Penny Arcade. The studio has picked up rights and tapped Book of Eli writer Gary
Whitta to pen the script. Mary Parent and Cale Boyter are producing via their studio-based Disruption Entertainment.

The premise spins the feeling of being a new kid in school into an intergalactic story when the kid happens to be the lone earthling in a school chock full of aliens.

Penny Arcade, created by Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, is one of the few viable webcomic sites that has grown into its own little fiefdom, with a blog, video games, podcasts and an online TV show.

Part of the impetus for New Kid is that Paramount is coming to the end of its current DWA distribution deal. Insiders say the studio is looking for a well of animated fare to potentiall fill that part of its pipepline if a new DWA pact can't be worked out. While there isn’t likely to be a Pixar-like animated division at Paramount any time soon, the studio knows it needs to be in that lucrative game, with or without Jeffrey Katzenberg. Rango, released in March, grossed more than $240 million worldwide.

The Mighty, one of the few titles that was allowed to escape from parent company Warner Bros., which normally handles any screen adaptations.

Whitta is repped by UTA and Circle of Confusion.

The strip in question:

Spoiler'd for huge strip-ness
1068437334_vZatc-O.jpg

The Newsposts from that day:
Tycho wrote:
Today's idea: The New Kid. It was The New Kid that catalyzed this round of offerings, and I think that (under the right conditions) The New Kid as it is presently conceived could be the biggest thing we ever do. Agree? Disagree? One more concept to go; when the voting booth goes up, let us know.
Gabe wrote:
Being the new kid is hard, being the new kid in a school full of aliens is harder. Tycho mentioned that this one could be the biggest thing we ever do and I think he’s right. My fantasy is to see Dreamworks, Disney or Nickelodeon make an animated feature or a Saturday morning cartoon out of this one. Who knows maybe they will see it and give me a call!
I’m working on the third and final idea today. This last one will go up on Monday and then it will be time to vote. I hope you guys are having as much fun reading these as I am drawing them.

This would also explain why they never expanded on the whole "New Kid" thing despite the overwhelmingly positive response.

Taramoor on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aw, I was hoping it was gonna be about Dickwolves.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Aw, I was hoping it was gonna be about Dickwolves.

I have edited the thread title to avoid that kind of confusion.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I so very much want a character to be named Richard Wolf.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gneh, can't say I'm too excited about it from the blurb/synopsis. Then again, i assume it's gonna be one of those family films with a sci-fi twist so i'm not in the target market or anything.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is the kind of news that makes me thrilled for the guys, and thrilled to be a part of this wonderful community, and also burn with the white-hot ENVY of a thousand suns as described explicitly by the God of our fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Ceno on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That comic is a pretty great premise for a movie. Good for them.

Marathon on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jerry and Mike are going to make so much goddamn money.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've always wanted a followup to that comic.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Free as a business model totally fucking works

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nice

I hope someone picks up the fantasy one that one is great.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »

Shhhhh! Don't say that out loud! The RIAA/MPAA might be listening. *hides*
    Malkor wrote: »
    Nice

I want a Twisp and Catsby movie!

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cool, hope it pans out. In any case it can't be worse then Mars needs Moms.

I always thought the comic they did about the fantasy version of the boy scouts had a great premise too. Too bad we never got anything more then a few pages of comics out of it.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2011
    Nice!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Shhhhh! Don't say that out loud! The RIAA/MPAA might be listening. *hides*
    Malkor wrote: »
    Nice

I want a Twisp and Catsby movie!

A Twisp & Catsby movie would be like Un Chien Andalou written by Terry Gilliam and directed by Spike Jonze

Taramoor on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

They won't be hurting, but I'd be unsurprised if their end is a fixed sum for the rights, not any kind of royalties. And even if you get royalties, 99.9% of movies don't turn a "profit," thanks to Hollywood accounting (see: the author of Forrest Gump).

But, that's a subject for a terrible thread about Hollywood business practices. Whereas this is the space where I say how unbelievably awesome it is to see yet another win for the guys. I started reading back in 1999, and holy fuck that is like twelve years ago. Amazing to see how far they've come, and the great things they're doing.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »

They won't be hurting, but I'd be unsurprised if their end is a fixed sum for the rights, not any kind of royalties. And even if you get royalties, 99.9% of movies don't turn a "profit," thanks to Hollywood accounting (see: the author of Forrest Gump).

But, that's a subject for a terrible thread about Hollywood business practices. Whereas this is the space where I say how unbelievably awesome it is to see yet another win for the guys. I started reading back in 1999, and holy fuck that is like twelve years ago. Amazing to see how far they've come, and the great things they're doing.

You're forgetting that while this particular major Hollywood studio may have an army of lawyers and accountants who have been in the business longer than most of us have been alive.

They are up against Khoo.

Khoo could turn a profit with a stack of blank paper on a windy day.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    kinda disappointed by this, would rather have seen more Automata, Sand, or Lookouts

this is still good for Mike and Jerry

Antimatter on
  • Options
    ywwgywwg Registered User new member
    edited June 2011

For a very small number of people. It's a luxury not everyone can afford.

ywwg on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, contrats to them.

I hope that Automata,gets turned into... something moving. Or just more of it. I love that combination of styles.

I'm really quite surprised by this, I didn't know studios even purchased stuff like this.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    kinda disappointed by this, would rather have seen more Automata, Sand, or Lookouts

this is still good for Mike and Jerry

Seriously. Didn't Whitta write Blood and Oil? When I saw he was attached I had to go back and verify that it really wasn't an Automata movie.

Also the second part, because this is pretty amazing. The tale of two guys turning this:

214584757_tSa5c-L-2.jpg

into the current state of this Khoovian Empire never stops getting less believable.

But I also really wanted that Automata movie, and The New Kid didn't really interest me. At all.

I'm all mixed up inside.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I fully expect tomorrow's comic to just be panels and panels of Gabe stuffing money down his pants.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    I fully expect tomorrow's comic to just be panels and panels of Gabe stuffing money down his pants.

Pretty much this.

Honestly, Penny Arcade has a metric fuckton of comic concepts and ideas that could potentially be blockbuster gold. I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    I fully expect tomorrow's comic to just be panels and panels of Gabe making money hats.

Fixed that for you.

I'm really glad for the guys. Like others have said, it's amazing how far they come.

As for the announcement...eh. I always felt that the New Kid comic/idea was the most sort of cliche, unoriginal one of the lot.

I hope that we get to see more stuff come out. Automata would be great.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh, I suppose The New Kid is probably the easiest film to make though of all their ideas.

Stuff like Automata would require much more effort and budgets.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Maybe the studio felt safer with this property because it was a little more cliche; and in being so, easier to market. Automata would be a little more niche in it's appeal, and Sand might be a little taboo for a first offering.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Based on what the blurb says about Paramount looking for a "well of animated fare" IF New Kid does well, they may be inclined to plumb the depths of the Penny Arcade archives... Let's just hope they never see the one about the Teddy Ruxpin remake.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rex Ready: Ready for War

Coming to a theatre near you.

815165 on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Because I had to go look for it:

The Comic:
    1068437334_vZatc-O.jpg

The news posts:
    Tycho wrote:
    Today's idea: The New Kid. It was The New Kid that catalyzed this round of offerings, and I think that (under the right conditions) The New Kid as it is presently conceived could be the biggest thing we ever do. Agree? Disagree? One more concept to go; when the voting booth goes up, let us know.
    Gabe wrote:
    Being the new kid is hard, being the new kid in a school full of aliens is harder. Tycho mentioned that this one could be the biggest thing we ever do and I think he’s right. My fantasy is to see Dreamworks, Disney or Nickelodeon make an animated feature or a Saturday morning cartoon out of this one. Who knows maybe they will see it and give me a call!
    I’m working on the third and final idea today. This last one will go up on Monday and then it will be time to vote. I hope you guys are having as much fun reading these as I am drawing them.

Edit: Oh, it's in the OP now.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Personally I'd like to see a Strawberry Shortcake movie, directed by Tim Burton and produced by Jordan Kerner.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to see a Strawberry Shortcake movie, directed by Tim Burton and produced by Jordan Kerner.

Personally I'd like to see them take their fat Hollywood loot and use it to fight American Greetings on the Strawberry Shortcake, and finally get it released from the vault.

Because fuck those pricks.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

That is just why actors and the like just ask for a percentage of gross receipts. Asking for a percentage of net profits was a mistake on the author's part.

Couscous on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I think The New Kid is the safest of their ideas, which makes sense why it was picked up. Hopefully this is a stepping stone for even bigger things, because Lookouts could really be incredible I think. But wow...a movie based on a PA idea...big props for them...really amazing what it's all become.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    How can accounting possibly do this magical bullshit to just make profits disappear while still making money?

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

That is just why actors and the like just ask for a percentage of gross receipts. Asking for a percentage of net profits was a mistake on the author's part.

Semi-interesting but largely off-topic reply inside:
    I was listening to an NPR podcast talking about "Hollywood accounting," and apparently it's even more awesome than that. Many actors actually do take cuts of the net profit, or other such deals, in their contracts...even though they know that value will likely be zero. But the contract is worded based on an expected profit level (or perhaps just a target), so that they can honestly claim to have signed a contract worth X even though they will only be paid Y, with Y<<X.

So (the example given, IIRC) if Edward Norton isn't up to anything, but needs some income, he can take a contract that provides a modest fixed payment, plus a cut. Now, he knows that cut will wind up being zero, or at best tiny...but that's not how the contract reads, so then his agent will talk about it as a "contract worth $3M" even though he may be getting paid something in the six-figure range.

It's good for publicity, and basically helps muddy the waters for future contract negotiations.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Because I had to go look for it:

The Comic:
    1068437334_vZatc-O.jpg

The news posts:
    Tycho wrote:
    Gabe wrote:

Edit: Oh, it's in the OP now.

Yes, it's in the OP, but I'm totally stealing the newsposts and putting them in there too.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is pretty cool.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    How can accounting possibly do this magical bullshit to just make profits disappear while still making money?

Gross oversimplification:

Forrest Gump is not actually created by Paramount. It's created by Forrest Gump LLC, a holding company created specifically for the purpose of accounting and copyright ownership.

All the costs of making the movie are billed to and paid by FGLLC. But the box office receipts aren't collected by FGLLC...oh no. Those are collected by Paramount, who FGLLC pays to "distribute" and "market" the film. And probably also signs all merchandising rights to, etc. Basically, FGLLC exists only as a fictional shell, to take all the losses while signing all the gains away to Paramount. Paramount makes bank, FGLLC breaks even at best.

But all those contracts for royalties based on net? Those are based on the net for FGLLC. As I said in my spoiler above, most of the players understand that those values are zero...it's all fictional bullshit. But every now and then you get some author or other player who isn't familiar with the business, and who has terrible representation, and agrees to a cut of net without knowing this. And boy, do those people wind up pissed.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I think The New Kid is the safest of their ideas, which makes sense why it was picked up. Hopefully this is a stepping stone for even bigger things, because Lookouts could really be incredible I think. But wow...a movie based on a PA idea...big props for them...really amazing what it's all become.

Who did Sorcerer's Apprentice? That's a halfway decent analog for Jim Darkmagic.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh that actually makes sense now...

but why go through that hassle? Is it to pay less taxes or something?

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    Oh that actually makes sense now...

but why go through that hassle? Is it to pay less taxes or something?

Partially that, I imagine. But I also imagine that it is mostly done to fuck over the naive saps doing business with them.

ArbitraryDescriptor on